PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite fad diet?

Cichlid
07-31-2007, 19:39
I'm on the seafood diet...I see food, then I eat it! Seriously though, what has worked the best for you long term?

Osprey
07-31-2007, 19:48
I'm on the literal seafood diet. That is, I'm a pescitarian ;) I simply don't like the taste of red meat or poultry at ALL, honestly. However since I am also aware of how fragile the ocean is, I generally only eat fish that has been farmed locally and safely. My diet isn't fad, but it works for me.

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 20:57
IMO - The only nutrition plan that works and works long term is a balance diet that includes lean protein, low glycemic carbs and vegetables. You also need to include planned free meals. Either a whole day of eat whatever you want or break it out where you have a free meal every few days. Everyone has cravings and you need to feed those cravings.

This is what the Body of Life program does. It's not a fad diet with special requirements. You just eat correctly, move around and reward your cravings.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

Ron

georoc01
07-31-2007, 21:19
eat less and exercise more. Ephedra was a great crutch that I miss since it was pulled from the shelves. Made things much easier.

the gooch
07-31-2007, 21:22
South Beach---but like WaterRat stated, any diet that contains good carbs, lean protein and plenty of veggies

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 21:29
If I want to drop pounds fast, it's pretty simple. High protein, low carb, some good fats and train train train. Not really a fad diet, or any diet, but it works for me.

fire diver
07-31-2007, 21:33
Well, I hate any diets, but if I had to choose on it would be Atkins. Eating huge amounts of eggs, bacon, sausage, steak.... MMMMMMM!

Dang I'm hungry! Atkins actually worked great for me the first time I did it. But after a year I had put some of the weight back on. I tried doing Atkins again, and it didn't work. Kinda odd.

Did I mention how hungry I am?

FD

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 23:04
I just cut back on the crap when i need to loose some weight. Also since my girlfriend is unable to bring me lunch anymore, I'm missing 1 meal a day.

picxie
08-01-2007, 03:11
Low carb works for me. However I'm a vegetarian/almost vegan (no dairy/eggs) and because healthy vege food takes a bit to do (have to think in advance a lot!) I end up eating a lot of pasta and rice dishes which are quick and easy and can be thrown together last minute. Like tonight. Got home from work late and had plain pasta and pasta sauce. Nice and easy and tasty.

cummings66
08-01-2007, 18:40
I don't diet per say, what I do is eat a sensible balanced diet and limit portion sizes. Most of the time we eat way too much food and that's why we get fat. It's not that we eat the wrong foods, it's that we eat too much food.

I eat candy, meat, vegetables, breads, etc. I love cakes and pies. I eat them all, but I try to limit how much I have. I do not believe the human body can tolerate strict diets where we eliminate certain food groups in order to lose weight, it works but in the end you binge and gain back the weight.

To lose it, you must change your lifestyle, not change your diet. I do think a day of eating anything without limit is good.

Chocoholic
10-06-2007, 01:48
counting calories still works

Capt Hook
10-06-2007, 07:48
BEER diet for me!
Oh, you want to lose weight? Never mind.

BobArnold8265
10-06-2007, 15:48
I haven't tried any of the fad diets out their. I'm too worried about my health to try most of them. Instead, I have successfully lost 40 pounds (174 to 134) by simply burning more calories than I consume. To me the real key to losing weight and maintaining your health is to increase your exercise. It' not the easy way but it works !!!!

Ash0r
10-06-2007, 17:57
I have never been overweight, but on a few occasions I have needed to cut a few pounds in a short period of time. I am a big fan of diets that do not limit how much food you can eat. They seem much more sustainable to me. I tried a diet that consisted of eating fruits, vegetables and lean meats only, in any quantity you desire. That was by far my favorite. I also threw in a few extras. Like low/fat free yogurt and skim milk.

:banana:

ScubaJenn81
10-07-2007, 18:39
All that seems to work for me is to eat just enough so I am not hungry anymore, If I eat big meals, I but on weight every easily.

caroln
10-09-2007, 15:55
I miss ephedra too. That stuff worked like nothing else. If I'm being sensible, low carb high protein works the best for me. I remember a red wine diet that sounded intriguing but realistically I just liked being told to drink wine.

Tableleg
10-09-2007, 16:50
My favorite fad diet?!? This is easy! It's Weight Watchers!

Like everyone has been saying, consuming less calories than you use per day and watching the quality of food you eat (aka, complex carbs, vegetables, lean meats, etc.) ,in a nutshell, will loose you weight. Couple that with exercise, and it'll go even faster.

All Weight Watchers does is simply call calories "points," and tell you to exercise!!! It's like they're charging people money every month to call calories points!!! If that's not marketing at it's finest, I don't know what is!:smiley36:

datamunk
10-09-2007, 16:59
i dont have a "fad diet" right now... im just eating the following:

breakfast @ 7am : apple (then the gym)
lunch @ noon: can of tuna, some celery and maybe a 60cal jello puddin cup
dinner: chicken breast or tuna w/ more celery and 60cal jello cup

keep the intake low and cardio high ;)

Scubastud16
10-11-2007, 03:11
No fad diet here.

Maybe a muffin for breakfast, usually a Nature's Valley bar. Lunch is usually a small serving of pasta with some type of chicken or beef. 2 scoop protein shake. Dinner is usually an egg white omelet, more pasta, and usually turkey/mashed potatoes.

diver_daver
10-11-2007, 09:47
Fad diets can help you get started, but after a few months they have run their course. It's the complete lifestyle change that really needs to happen, otherwise you'll be complaining about how 'bad' your last fad diet was while looking for a new one. I won't repeat the carb/protein comments, but I will add:

~ watch your portion size, we eat more then we need to at one sitting
~ go from three meals a day to five smaller meals
~ watch how you prepare your meals, ie. use a spray instead of butter/oil in the fry pan
~ cut out things like pop {so called low cal/fat free pops are just as bad for you}, fast food, and bad treats
~ avoid bing eating, even good foods
~ look into healthier treats
~ learn how to read nutrition labels, it'll be an eye opener!

Don't forget to reward yourself and enjoy your food, just don't over do it.

That was calories going in, now you also need to look at calories going out. Start a real fitness program, and make this part of your daily routine. It will also help you in your diving.

Good luck

Tableleg
10-11-2007, 09:52
~ cut out things like pop {so called low cal/fat free pops are just as bad for you} How so? :smiley25:

fire diver
10-11-2007, 10:12
~ cut out things like pop {so called low cal/fat free pops are just as bad for you} How so? :smiley25:

Many studies have shown that the artificial sweetners can cause migraines and increase feelings of hunger, thereby causing you to eat more and gain more weight. The carbonation in them is also bad for you. It screws with your digestive system and affects insulin levels.

All pop is bad for you, but have an occasional one is alright. Most people drink a six-pack or more a day, then wonder why they are gaining 20 pounds a year.

FD

Tableleg
10-11-2007, 15:03

Many studies have shown that the artificial sweetners can cause migraines and increase feelings of hunger, thereby causing you to eat more and gain more weight. The carbonation in them is also bad for you. It screws with your digestive system and affects insulin levels.

All pop is bad for you, but have an occasional one is alright. Most people drink a six-pack or more a day, then wonder why they are gaining 20 pounds a year.

FDI didn't realize that. I drink one of those carbonated calorie free deals for lunch every day and don't think twice about it. I have lost about 40lbs (how much of that weight loss that has been off set by all the muscle mass I've gained, I'll never know) in the past year and feel great! I might have to try giving those up for a week or two to see if I notice a difference in my hunger levels.

CaribbeanDiver
10-12-2007, 08:05
I did sugar busters about 10 years ago. Did it for a month and lost 17 pounds. Kept it off for about 5 years then tried it again but after a week of not losing a single pound I quit.
Even though I am not sure it would work for me if I tried it again, the results from Effort # 1 was so good, it is my favorite.

TRACI
10-12-2007, 09:42
I like the lemonade fast, lose alot weight fast, but not healthy :(

scubasavvy
10-12-2007, 11:02
South Beach is my favorite, I lose 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks every time...and I feel great because I can't eat sugar...

Aquatrax
10-13-2007, 05:42
I went through this program and it worked well www.georgedejohn.net (http://www.georgedejohn.net)

Lost substantial weight and size. It also broke my Junk food habit

diver_daver
10-15-2007, 13:31

Check out the articles titled "You are What You Eat" by Paul Chek. Take a look at the one "Processed Food", it doesn't talk specifically about 'pop', but it will give you a good idea.

http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm

CrzyJay456
10-15-2007, 20:26
all these magic diets suck... the only thing that really works is watching what you eat and exercise (the actual healthy way to diet) not eating awkward foods and taking pills.

Divegirl
10-19-2007, 00:14
I do diet per say
However, I was told once, that in order to shed a few pounds,
Whatever you eat should never bigger than the size of your hand,
so when I eat, I put my hand flat, and don't eat more than that.

THE REAL KEY SODA, POP for eastern divers!!!:smiley2:
I was a total Mountain Dew freak, I would drink like 4-6 a day!!!
170 calories a pop!!! I switched to Diet (root beer, mist with cranberry splash, Diet Pepsi) anything I can tolerate after MT DEW, and I have dropped 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I still eat my CHOColate everynight, My friend lost 24 pounds in 6 months by dropping the soda!!!

chace_nicole
10-19-2007, 01:15
all these magic diets suck... the only thing that really works is watching what you eat and exercise (the actual healthy way to diet) not eating awkward foods and taking pills.

I couldn't agree more...it is not easy though. People also do not drink enough water to stay properly hydrated. Sounds crazy but I have read studies that say sometimes we mistake hunger pains for thirst.

Sand Castle
11-05-2007, 08:21
I just juice fasted for 25 days. All I had was 40-50 ounces of fresh pressed, organic juice for breakfast. I lost a pound a day. I am 5' 8" and went from 177 to 152. Now when I try to eat anything that is processed in anyway my body rejects it. It is a great way to cleanse the body, but the side affects are that you will need to eat healthy forever. No more eating out or cookies, etc. It is hard to get your mind around that. If I had known how it would turn out I may not have done it. I feel great, but sometimes you just need to cheat.

moosicman
11-05-2007, 08:28
I'm a south beach diet fan....i lost 20 pounds in phases 1 and 2...and once you get to phase 3 the eating is actually quite delicious....BUT i love me some milk and oreos and since i work for nabisco part time, there are always alot of those laying around....so...its hard to maintain

discipline discipline discipline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kenmendes
11-05-2007, 08:38
eat less and exercise more.

Tableleg
11-06-2007, 08:34
I just juice fasted for 25 days. All I had was 40-50 ounces of fresh pressed, organic juice for breakfast. I lost a pound a day. I am 5' 8" and went from 177 to 152. What were you doing to supplement your protein intake? Vegetables are fine and dandy for your carbs and fiber, but unless you were throwing beans or nuts into that juicer, I bet a lot of that weight loss was muscle mass from your body needing the ammio acids found in protien... :smiley5:

Weight loss is not always synonymous with healthy fat loss (which is what most people are ultimately wanting) which happens at a rate of 2~3lbs per week.

caroln
11-06-2007, 16:05
I just juice fasted for 25 days. All I had was 40-50 ounces of fresh pressed, organic juice for breakfast. I lost a pound a day. I am 5' 8" and went from 177 to 152. Now when I try to eat anything that is processed in anyway my body rejects it. It is a great way to cleanse the body, but the side affects are that you will need to eat healthy forever. No more eating out or cookies, etc. It is hard to get your mind around that. If I had known how it would turn out I may not have done it. I feel great, but sometimes you just need to cheat.

That's a pretty amazing amount of weight to have lost in the time you did. Congratulations! Had you done research on the juice fast before you did it and figured out a good juice recipe, or was it more or less random?

RECDiver
11-08-2007, 10:18
I was just reading in a magazine last night about the Crete diet. Apparently the men on Crete live longer than the average, apparently alot higher average. The key to the diet is olive oil. Cooking with olive oil and using it on salads and even toast.

WV Diver
11-08-2007, 10:24
I don't really do a traditional diet. If I think I need to loose a few pounds I still eat whatever I want but I only have one meal a day, usually dinner. So when dinner is over then I'm done till dinner the next day. Works well for me but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, especially if you have low blood sugar or other problems.

kyfriedchipper
11-09-2007, 00:40
Atkins baby - more meat and cheese and eggs pleez :)

TxScubaBear
11-09-2007, 10:11
Atkins doesn't screw with your kidneys the way the SB diet does?

texdiveguy
11-09-2007, 10:35
Twinkie Diet

Xspect
11-09-2007, 20:23
my ex-wife cooking worked for me in the past

cutter77
01-11-2008, 23:51
....I cut out all white flour and sugar.

And......get to movin'!

Sean1
05-21-2009, 14:04
Hey you can also check it out for daily routine diet.
Fat Loss Diets. To lose fat: proteins, veggies, fruits and healthy fats with each meal. Carbs post workout only. Example fat loss diet:

Breakfast: eggs with tomato & bell peppers, orange, green tea
Snack: cottage cheese with apple
Lunch: chicken, bok choy, tomato, chicory, olive oil
Snack: mixed nuts
Post workout: ground round, brown rice, mixed veggies, banana
Dinner: chicken, spinach, baby carrots, pear
Pre-bed snack: cottage cheese, berries, ground flax seeds, fish oil Remember to get variation using your 4 junk meals per week. You’ll get bored of eating the same every day after about 3 weeks. Make slight changes, keep the structure. 2nd example fat loss diet, using morning workouts.
get the more information abut fat loss
http://www.14dayfatloss.com/recommends/StripThatFat

cruzan
05-21-2009, 15:33
Weight Watchers I lost 73 pounds more than 5 years ago and I've kept it off. The only way to consider it though is that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. You can eat anything you want just not all of it.

scubasavvy
05-21-2009, 18:18
South Beach. Lost 30 pounds in 2 months and I've been sticking to it. Changed my appetite, no lie.

bennerman
05-21-2009, 18:32
Sugerfree kool-aid... not a fad diet, but it is helping me lose the weight I gained from regular kool-aid :)

UofTOrange
05-21-2009, 18:53
As far as fads go, South Beach was my favorite. As far as real workout/eating plans my favorite is Body for Life

gee
05-21-2009, 20:28
I have a self-styled low carb diet that works for me. My rule of thumb is to avoid eating food that is white...like rice, flour, pasta & sugar.

Coastie6
05-21-2009, 22:13
I have a self-styled low carb diet that works for me. My rule of thumb is to avoid eating food that is white...like rice, flour, pasta & sugar.

Good plan, I found that cutting back on the carbs helps me. But . . . . these are my weakness. I try to use portion control, but I have those times when a honkin bowl of pasta with homemade gravy (sauce) wins over willpower!

gee
05-21-2009, 22:37

Good plan, I found that cutting back on the carbs helps me. But . . . . these are my weakness. I try to use portion control, but I have those times when a honkin bowl of pasta with homemade gravy (sauce) wins over willpower!

Ha Ha Coastie6! You brought back some good memories for me. The first time I heard of gravy with pasta was years ago in an Italian neighborhood in Philadelphia. Of course, being from Alabama, my idea of gravy was something you had with biscuits!

cruzan
05-22-2009, 04:28

Portion control problem. That's my husbands problem he eats very healthy foods just a tad too much.

Coastie6
05-22-2009, 06:37

Ha Ha Coastie6! You brought back some good memories for me. The first time I heard of gravy with pasta was years ago in an Italian neighborhood in Philadelphia. Of course, being from Alabama, my idea of gravy was something you had with biscuits!

Yep, get that reaction a lot. I Love sausage gravy with biscuits too, oh, there goes the diet again, I can't win! :smilie_keks:

Coastie6
05-22-2009, 06:44

Portion control problem. That's my husbands problem he eats very healthy foods just a tad too much.

I think that's the problem quite a few of us have. The "Snackwell effect" can lull us into the belief that it's good food, so we can eat more. And no, I don't think Snackwells are good food.

UofTOrange
05-22-2009, 10:17
But it's only 100 calories a serving! Yes, but you ate 11 servings

gee
05-22-2009, 16:06
Avoid potatoes also.

Coastie6
05-22-2009, 22:12

Yes, and they're low fat too! :smiley30:

UofTOrange
05-23-2009, 14:05

Yes, and they're low fat too! :smiley30:

And sugar free!

maverick
05-27-2009, 20:32