PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Arkansas

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 19:41
A big "Hey Ya'll" to all my fellow divers here on the Scubatoys forum. I'm looking foward to meeting and talking with each of you about our favorite subject. Anytime anyone wants to come up and dive beautiful Lake Ouachita here in Arkansas, I'd be happy to help you out with local orientation dives.

Rascal1933
07-31-2007, 21:09
Hi ScubyDoo,
Welcome,and Glad you found us!
Enjoy the ST Forums

Moxie
07-31-2007, 22:45
Hello ScubyDoo and welcome to the ScubaToys boards. What kind of diving do y'all do out in Arkansas?

Foo2
07-31-2007, 23:57
Howdy ScubyDoo! I'd LOVE to get some AR dives in! I'll let you know if I'm ever up that way.

ScubyDoo
08-01-2007, 21:59
Hello ScubyDoo and welcome to the ScubaToys boards. What kind of diving do y'all do out in Arkansas?

Moxie,
Arkansas is blessed with several clean water lakes, all of which are manmade. Bull Shoals and Norfork Lakes are on the White River system, and Lake Ouachita is on the Ouachita River. These are all very large lakes which are maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers. The lakes are in the mountainous Ozark regions, where limestone bedrock abounds. This combination provides for clear and deep diving. Lake Ouachita (which is where I dive most) has been designated one of the cleanest lakes in America. It is a massive lake with hundreds of miles of coastline, and hundreds of small islands. Diving aside, its a beautiful lake to boat on, camp on, picnic, etc. It is all undeveloped (no houses or Condos). If you have a boat, you can pick out your own little island to camp out on for a weekend...or week. Serious fisherman come from all over the U.S. to fish here as well, mostly for largemouth bass and striped bass, which get up to 45lbs here. It is surrounded by beautiful mountains and is just a beautiful beautiful lake. Its a 20 minute drive from Hot Springs, Arkansas....which is a fantastic little resort city.

plot
08-01-2007, 22:01
Ever been to beaver lake? I dive it quite a bit. It's part of the bull shoals system maintained by the army corps off of the white river I think...

Welcome to the forums

ScubyDoo
08-01-2007, 22:09
I have not dived Beaver Lake. I believe that is in northwestern Arkansas near Fayetteville isnt it? I don't think it is on the White River system, but I could be wrong. If Im correct, diving there is considered an "altitude dive" since its over 1000 feet above sea level.

Moxie
08-01-2007, 22:10
That sounds awesome! I'm going to have to get out there and do some Arkansas diving.

Moxie,
Arkansas is blessed with several clean water lakes, all of which are manmade. Bull Shoals and Norfork Lakes are on the White River system, and Lake Ouachita is on the Ouachita River. These are all very large lakes which are maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers. The lakes are in the mountainous Ozark regions, where limestone bedrock abounds. This combination provides for clear and deep diving. Lake Ouachita (which is where I dive most) has been designated one of the cleanest lakes in America. It is a massive lake with hundreds of miles of coastline, and hundreds of small islands. Diving aside, its a beautiful lake to boat on, camp on, picnic, etc. It is all undeveloped (no houses or Condos). If you have a boat, you can pick out your own little island to camp out on for a weekend...or week. Serious fisherman come from all over the U.S. to fish here as well, mostly for largemouth bass and striped bass, which get up to 45lbs here. It is surrounded by beautiful mountains and is just a beautiful beautiful lake. Its a 20 minute drive from Hot Springs, Arkansas....which is a fantastic little resort city.

Centerius
08-01-2007, 22:14

Moxie,

That sounds really good. I'd love to go out and camp on a few islands and just go diving. :smiley20:

Oh, and welcome to the board!

BSea
08-01-2007, 22:20
Glad to see someone else from LR here. I usually go to Greers Ferry, but Ouachita is every bit as nice as you've described. I dove Beaver once in the early 80's, but I really don't remember much about the dive. Our group went up to table rock last fall, and I was a little dissapointed in the viz that day, but I've been there when It was 30 +. So, most all the deep man made lakes we have are great for diving as you have said.

ScubyDoo
08-01-2007, 22:39
I'll try to post some links to these lakes, once i figure out how to do that...:smiley29:

ScubyDoo
08-01-2007, 22:53
Here is an aerial photo of one small portion of Lake Ouachita..

http://www.almosthomehouseboats.com/Photos-2003/LakeOuachita2.jpg

dmdoss
08-01-2007, 22:59
If I want to get a dive in that has any good vis I goto Beaver. Its about 2 1/2 hours from me.

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 00:09
Welcome aboard! Arkansas has got to be one of the prettiest states I've been to. Seemed so serene to me, enjoyed my stay there immensely :)

plot
08-02-2007, 16:56
I have not dived Beaver Lake. I believe that is in northwestern Arkansas near Fayetteville isnt it? I don't think it is on the White River system, but I could be wrong. If Im correct, diving there is considered an "altitude dive" since its over 1000 feet above sea level.

It's on the white river system, I think it's the first lake in the system. It is over 1000 feet, but just barely... we never treat it as an altitude dive. It's in northwestern arkansas very close to missouri just off of 71 highway by bentonville. (I think it's in benton county).

Very clear lake since it's up in the mountains, alot of it's rock bottom...