PDA

View Full Version : canister light routing

medic001918
07-31-2007, 20:59
So I picked up a used canister light and I was wondering what the best way to route the cable is? I've seen a lot of diver's that have it mounted on the right hip (which I know is where it should be) and the handle runs to their left hand with the cable just kind of hanging out in front. Is that the best way? Or should it go over the shoulder?

What's the best routing?

Thanks,
Shane

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 21:05
Right hip, cord long enough so you have full extension with your left arm. Have a clip on the goodman handle so you can clip it off to the right chest D ring. Just let the cord hang. You can use the light in the right or left hand. A lot of the tech/cave divers use it in the left because they use the right hand on the scooter.

Ron

medic001918
07-31-2007, 22:24
Awesome, thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Looking forward to taking the light out on Thursday for a dive.

Shane

loudgonzo
08-01-2007, 10:23
http://gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

Hope this helps, lots of visuals.

mwhities
08-01-2007, 10:48
Right hip, cord long enough so you have full extension with your left arm. Have a clip on the goodman handle so you can clip it off to the right chest D ring. Just let the cord hang. You can use the light in the right or left hand. A lot of the tech/cave divers use it in the left because they use the right hand on the scooter.

Ron

If you use a long hose, make sure it "behind" the long hose. (Closer to your chest - between your chest and the long hose.) Otherwise, if you had to donate your long hose, it may get caught up.

Michael

medic001918
08-01-2007, 12:31

Ron

If you use a long hose, make sure it "behind" the long hose. (Closer to your chest - between your chest and the long hose.) Otherwise, if you had to donate your long hose, it may get caught up.

Michael

Excellent point. Definatly something to remember.

Thanks,
Shane

Dive-aholic
08-01-2007, 13:11
I keep my light in my right hand. It's just how I was trained and how I like to keep it. As Michael stated, if you hold it in the left hand, make sure the cord is behind the long hose. This will require a little more effort to clip it off, but does keep the long hose free in case of an OOA situation. If you hold it in your right hand, I suggest running the cord behind your backup light clip. This keeps the cord from dangling down and becoming an entanglement hazard by bring the cord up the side of your body and straight down your arm.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 17:18
I prefer mine in my left hand (and cannister on right hip, of course). I'm right handed, but having the light in left hand allows me to use it to shine on my computer (right wrist) to see it at night, and since I have a camera in my hand on most dives, I need my right hand totally free to work the controls. My left hand can hold the light head and the camera handle at the same time no prob, but my right hand needs more freedom to play with camera settings. The fact that I can see my computer at night without having to push the light button is just a bonus.

Computer is on the right wrist so it can be referenced while managing buoyancy with the left hand.

hydro
08-01-2007, 22:03
I think another point behind using the light on your left hand is so that if you donate a reg to your buddy for a gas emergency, you don't blind them in the eyes while using your dominant (if you're a righty) hand to donate.

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 22:24
I think another point behind using the light on your left hand is so that if you donate a reg to your buddy for a gas emergency, you don't blind them in the eyes while using your dominant (if you're a righty) hand to donate.

That may be a good thing if hes panicking and grabbing for your air supply you can stun him for a sec with your high powered light whil eyou stuff a reg in his mouth.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 22:47

That may be a good thing if hes panicking and grabbing for your air supply you can stun him for a sec with your high powered light whil eyou stuff a reg in his mouth.
I'm sure that was a joke.

But it's not good to joke about things that could get people killed.

Dive-aholic
08-03-2007, 01:23
I also hold my camera in my right hand, but I also use my light to light up the field in the lens. It works out well.

As for OOA, I donate with my right hand, as does my wife. We've had this discussion before and never had a problem with that, even after discussing it and trying it out at the beginning our dives.

woody
08-03-2007, 04:37
Right or Left as needed, generally in my left hand. Right when checking on a gauge or compass. As for over or under, I go for it to be free (over). This offers the greatest in flexibility as the light head changes hands and less of a CF when you have to donate. Is it over, under, or did you cross it over and clip it off? In an OOG you donate your primary, then deal with the cord after everyone has gas, finally fully deploy the remainder of the hose. To steal someone's tag line "If you can breath you are alive". For those who follow the GUE mantra they have standardized their teachings to this procedure.
Thanks,
Woody

cummings66
08-03-2007, 07:11
Yup, over is the new way of doing it and to be honest I prefer it that way myself. I've practiced donating and it's not any harder with the cord over.