PDA

View Full Version : Classes that don't exist, but should

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 23:26
Theres a wide range of classes out there from basic OW all the way up to the hardcore tech stuff, and plenty of specialty classes in between. Many people have different opinions of most of the classes offered byt the various agencies out there but are there any classes which aren't in existance, that you think should be? If so, what type of class and why?

ScubyDoo
08-01-2007, 00:07
Underwater Sex??? I would take that class...LOL
PADI could make a fortune! LOL

picxie
08-01-2007, 03:42

Oh dear, that reminds me of a story someone told me recently. Why oh why would someone/sometwo want to do it is beyond me. Maybe in a nice tropical setting, but these two in the story were in thick 7mm wetsuits and full dive gear in cold water. And got snapped by the rest of the dive crew :smilie39:

ianr33
08-01-2007, 08:34
Actually I think there are too many classes around and a lot of them are pretty useless.
One class that I would liked to have been available would be "intro to double tanks" The first time many divers use doubles is on either an Advanced Nitrox course or a Cave Course which adds greatly to the task loading.
This could be an "experience" class rather than a "certification" class

ReefHound
08-01-2007, 10:31
I think a lot of the specialties are overkill but if they are going to have a Boat Diver then they should have a Beach Diver.

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 11:22
I think a lot of the specialties are overkill but if they are going to have a Boat Diver then they should have a Beach Diver.

There's some merit to that request ReefHound. My IE was done at Corona del Mar beach in 6-8 foot surf. Many of the candidates had never done a beach entry and now they were faced with a large surf entry. It was rough for a lot of people.

BTW, soon afterwards, when the surf was large PADI began taking IE classes to Lake Perris.

thor
08-01-2007, 11:24
What about a responsible spending class?

Or an investment class so that we can pay for all of our gear?

mike_s
08-01-2007, 11:33
I'm holding out for the "PADI Night Cave Specialty".

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 12:23
I think some may benefit from a small class that included some kind of advanced finning techniques.

ertechsg
08-01-2007, 12:32
Yes we can add it in with photography.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 14:12
Yes we can add it in with photography.

What a perfect match! ;)

Ajuva
08-01-2007, 16:04
Unfortunately, over here I seem to have missed the "On Boat Bull$#17" class and and the "Advanced Evening Alcohol Intake" class

I do however feel quite good for not having the cards for these.:smiley2:

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 17:40
Intro to Doubles might be good, but you're taking 10 minutes of material and building an entire class around it. Better to take the NAUI Intro to Tech.

I'd love to see some truly "advanced" AOW courses, however, teaching things like solid gas management, alternate finning techniques (although then they would lose the kickbacks from the gear manufacturers pushing split fins), better buoyancy control that PPB teaches, and shooting bags (SMB and lift).

ReefHound
08-01-2007, 18:39
Intro to Doubles might be good, but you're taking 10 minutes of material and building an entire class around it.

That's the standard PADI Specialty template. :smiley2:

Queen
08-01-2007, 18:51
I'd like to see not so much a class but more of a post cert symposium series in the vein of "The Certified Diver's Handbook" http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Divers-Handbook-Underwater-Adventures/dp/0071414606.

Something that shares tips and info that a newbie diver needs to just go and start diving!

georoc01
08-01-2007, 18:51

Unfortunately, it would end up being a solo class as most of my buddies aren't what I am looking for.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 18:52
Intro to Doubles might be good, but you're taking 10 minutes of material and building an entire class around it.
I only wish you were joking! LOL

Nitrox and Drysuit are about the only specialties worth anything (non-medical, that is). Perhaps Altitude (in the right circumstances)...

cummings66
08-01-2007, 20:02
I'd love to see some truly "advanced" AOW courses, however, teaching things like solid gas management, alternate finning techniques

I know a NASE shop that requires the OW students to Frog Kick, Dolphin Kick, Flutter Kick, Scissors Kick, and one more I can't recall right now. I wish they'd teach gas management but they don't consider it a skill OW students can manage.

I don't get it, this is not a hard skill, it's easy in fact. Gas management should be in OW, and not the back at the boat with 500 psi stuff they all teach.

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 20:41
I only wish you were joking! LOL

Nitrox and Drysuit are about the only specialties worth anything (non-medical, that is). Perhaps Altitude (in the right circumstances)...

Add Ice Diver to the list. I haven't taken it, but I think I'd want to before I attempt to dive in that sort of environment.

rktman26
08-01-2007, 20:46
I'd like to see not so much a class but more of a post cert symposium series in the vein of "The Certified Diver's Handbook" http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Divers-Handbook-Underwater-Adventures/dp/0071414606.

Something that shares tips and info that a newbie diver needs to just go and start diving!

Has anyone read this book? Being new to the sport, I'm looking to find "tips and tricks" of the trade.

ReefHound
08-01-2007, 20:59
Add Ice Diver to the list. I haven't taken it, but I think I'd want to before I attempt to dive in that sort of environment.

I think I want more than a specialty for that.

Queen
08-01-2007, 21:03

Has anyone read this book? Being new to the sport, I'm looking to find "tips and tricks" of the trade.

I own it and found it to be a great reference for folks who are new or returning to the sport. :thumb:

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 21:08

I think I want more than a specialty for that.

LOL...yeah I hear ya. Think I'll start a new thread...

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 22:49

Very true.