PDA

View Full Version : Liquidskin for a small face - Worked!

Judestudio
08-01-2007, 03:11
I have a small face and had trouble finding a fitting mask that doesn't leak. I have been using the Mares X-Vision MID skirt mask for a few dives, leaked quite badly to start with. After several attempts of tightening (which I was told not suppose to), I still got a bit of water in the nose pocket. Since it was designed for a small face, I thought that's it, can't get any better than this, and a little water in the nose pocket won't kill.

Then comes Liquidskin, which only comes in the normal size skirt, but since it's softer, so theoretically should conform to the face contour better. I gave it a try, and was great! It was dry throughout the whole dive, not a single drop of water in the mask!

One of the reasons why the mid skirt leaked I found was the bit of silicon skirt that goes just under the nose was actually quite short in result to a smaller skirt size, which lifts quite easily (eg smiling or bubbles getting in the way) causing water to enter. With the Liquidskin in a bigger size, which normally won't "fit" a small face properly, the softness of the silicon actually helped the skirt wrap around the face and stay that way throughout the dive.

I was looking for answer to this a few months back, took a chance, and I'm happy it worked. Just thought I'll post a review for those (small face individuals) that might have the same doubt.

picxie
08-01-2007, 03:26
I have a new liquidskin too and it fits great out of water, I can't wait to try it on a dive.

I'm so jealous. You went diving? I realised today that there is only 1 month of winter to go so I am planning to be out there next month. Hahaha started exercising yesturday to get my fitness levels up and I hurt soooo much today!! All worth it. I'm sure my wetsuit has mysteriously shrunk in the wardrope. Funny how that happens.

Judestudio
08-01-2007, 05:36
I have a new liquidskin too and it fits great out of water, I can't wait to try it on a dive.
Yea, let us know how it fits!

I'm so jealous. You went diving?
Oh it was just in a pool (deepest was about 4.5 meters) to brush up some skills, it's still a bit cold out there at the moment. It was the first time I get to trial out my new wetsuit, BP/W, and mask.

And to celebrate that, I bought a computer from Scubatoys today :smiley32:

picxie
08-01-2007, 05:42
And to celebrate that, I bought a computer from Scubatoys today :smiley32:

Oooh congrats! I've been wondering if you managed to get it when the dollar was up? It's gone down heaps, I'm hoping it doesn't go down anymore! Although I shouldnt be too greedy - it's no worse than what it was when I first started looking. Would have been nice to get the 80c exchange rate though.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 09:41
Congrats on no leaks! I love my liquidskin too :)

medic001918
08-01-2007, 12:36
I have a liquidskin as well. At first it was leaking a little bit, but after tightening up the straps a little, the leak went away. I've only gotten two dives in on my liquidskin, but have no complaints so far.

Shane

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 15:54
hopefully yours works as well as everyone elses. the only thing is itt akes a while to get used to the buckels.

k46tank
08-03-2007, 00:28
My wife just made six dives in Belize with her new LiquidSkin and she loved it. She has a small face and she said that it was incredibly comfortable and sealed very well. And as an added plus, she didn't have mask Ring-around-the-face even after a 70 min. dive.

Judestudio
08-03-2007, 00:40
hopefully yours works as well as everyone elses. the only thing is itt akes a while to get used to the buckels.
It took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how the buckle works. But once got the hang of it, I really have to say it's an ingenious design! Took 1 second to loosen the strap up and pop the mask around the neck, and just as easy to put the mask back on and get it tightened on the face. Very cool :smiley20:

medic001918
08-03-2007, 06:58
I still haven't totally figured out the whole buckle thing on my mask yet...I'm working on it. But I've only got a couple of dives with it so far.

Shane

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 12:53
Hmm. I've tried the liquidskin masks on in the shop, and they just don't fit my face. The X-Vision Mid fits great, though.

jbres1
08-07-2007, 15:05
I picked up a liquidskid mask last week from another Scubaboard member, will be diving it on Wednesday.
The regular mask works fine for me, but I still wanted to try the new ones.
Jim Breslin

namabiru
08-07-2007, 16:04
Judestudio, do you mind me asking-- when you say you have a 'small' face, how small are we talking here? I've actually found kids' sunglasses which fit halfway decent on my face, that's how small mine is.

Just wondering, as based on your post, I might look at the LiquidSkin or the X-Vision Mid.

CompuDude, how did you find the sizes compared on the two, since you tried on both? Is the X-Vision Mid clearly smaller, or is it just a difference of how the mask is contoured?

CompuDude
08-07-2007, 17:39
Judestudio, do you mind me asking-- when you say you have a 'small' face, how small are we talking here? I've actually found kids' sunglasses which fit halfway decent on my face, that's how small mine is.

Just wondering, as based on your post, I might look at the LiquidSkin or the X-Vision Mid.

CompuDude, how did you find the sizes compared on the two, since you tried on both? Is the X-Vision Mid clearly smaller, or is it just a difference of how the mask is contoured?
I'd say the Mid was clearly smaller. Placing the mask lightly on my face and looking at the ceiling, the Mid fit perfectly, while the LiquidSkin had actual gaps on each side where air freely came in.

Judestudio
08-07-2007, 18:32

I have a face size of say, a 15 yr old kid. While those tiny kids' sunglasses would be a tight fit on my face, none of the normal adults one will fit me, that's how small it is. (I fit in XS sizes of everything else too) Oh, and I use a youth size ski goggles.

I owned an X-Vision Mid. It fitted alright if I tighten it all the way, so tight it leaves a mark on my face when I remove it, still I get a bit of water in the nose pocket. Like CompuDude says, the Mid skirt is clearly smaller. I wouldn't be able to fit in the normal X-Vision at all, coz it'll have gaps along the sides of the face, but for the Liquidskin, the silicon is really soft, it "molds" onto the side of my face and just "wrap around", therefore no gap. And becoz it has a slightly longer skirt under the nose pocket, it doesn't lift as easily as the Mid, thus eliminating that bit of water in there.

medic001918
08-07-2007, 18:52
Anyone want to offer up some input on how the clip thing works? Maybe I'm just not seeing how it should work, but so far it doesn't do anything for me. Any help would be welcomed. I still like the mask though.

Shane

Judestudio
08-07-2007, 19:53
Anyone want to offer up some input on how the clip thing works? Maybe I'm just not seeing how it should work, but so far it doesn't do anything for me. Any help would be welcomed. I still like the mask though.

Shane
To loosen the strap up, you need to apply pressure on the top and bottom of the clip at the same time (the depressed / ribbed portion of the clip), and pull the mask away from you. It's designed so that you can remove the mask by loosening it and hang around your neck quickest possible.

To use the mask, just place the mask on your face and tighten the two side straps each time :smiley2:

medic001918
08-07-2007, 21:20
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Shane

namabiru
08-10-2007, 12:17
Wow... so hard to choose which mask to order. I just may have to ring ST and politely ask if I can order both, then return one, either via mail or via Tom when we meet on the Blackbeard's trip. I imagine they would, if I paid for both on a credit card, then they could credit the one I didn't purchase.

medic001918
08-10-2007, 13:18
I'm guessing you're right and it wouldn't be an issue to get both and return one. They've offered to let people do this with BC's...so I can't imagine a mask being an issue.

Shane

bobbo8420
11-03-2007, 21:39
I tried the Atmoic Frameless and it was a little too big for my face (the medium seemed a little too tight). Does anyone know how the liquid skin comares?