PDA

View Full Version : Need motivation??

picxie
08-01-2007, 04:49
Would anyone be keen on a motivational thread?? Might help to keep some of us motivated in a fitness regime that we would otherwise not do!! Okay, okay, so maybe I just need some motivation. Anyone want to join me? Push me off the couch/computer seat?

I realised yesturday that there is only 1 month of winter left, so my weak excuse of 'it's winter and I'm not diving so I'm not exercising' is wearing thin. Especially when I want to be ready to jump in the water on the first warm day. I did start yesturday with what I thought were some very light exercises. My legs are killing me today. Arms are fine (which is odd as I have trouble lifting gear at the best of times) but the legs, oh the legs. Just as well I have a cruisy office job and was able to sit down most of the day. But I was like a little old lady when I had to get up. How sad is that!!! :smilie39:

TommyB
08-01-2007, 05:02
Here ya go,
Get off the couch and you can come to texas (well in about a week I'll be re-located to FL. and you can come fishing / diving with us-

hmm, I could always ban your IP, then you'd not see our little community and you'd have to get out from behind that monitor and go play outside
:hugs_n_kisses:

(I even got a boat you can come drive :) )--
If a boat has a motor, do you drive it, or sail it..
I don't have no stinking sail-boat--

picxie
08-01-2007, 05:38
hmm, I could always ban your IP, then you'd not see our little community and you'd have to get out from behind that monitor and go play outside

Nooooooo! :fit:

Here ya go,
Get off the couch and you can come to texas (well in about a week I'll be re-located to FL. and you can come fishing / diving with us-

(I even got a boat you can come drive )--
If a boat has a motor, do you drive it, or sail it..
I don't have no stinking sail-boat--

I actually did visit Dallas a few years back ... if only I had known about ST then, I may not have left!! I missed out on visiting Florida though. That's a big move, isn't it?

One of my goals this year is to learn to drive a boat too ... my dad is about to go and buy a new, bigger one that is suitable for them to go fishing, and me to go diving. My only request was that it had a toilet. Oh I'm such a girl! :smilie39: I'm sure I'll be fine without a toilet. They don't all have them and I've gotten by in the past. No seriously, I'll be fine. Don't worry about me. She'll be right.

Yes it really was a joking request although my dad being my lovely dad has actually gone out and looked at what would be required to put a toilet in the new boat. Awww wasn't that nice? Cheers dad! :anim_beer:

fox02554
08-01-2007, 07:20
Hi All, i could use a little motivation and maybe some ideas... I broke my leg in march { trashed it, think "Barbaro" more then 10 less then 20 peices} when i try to swim { 1 hour a day 3 days a week} i feel like a 3 legged dog. any suggestions ? i still can't bear weight on it so any exersices must be done in the water ? thanks for your help

Disneymom
08-01-2007, 08:36
Picxie - I too work an office job, and am a certified couch potato on top of that! Sore muscles stink! (But think how much more you'll enjoy your diving once you get back in shape...)
I'm in on the motivational thread - I can be lazy when it comes to getting up and going to the gym... I probably need the motivation, too. But I am going today after 2 days of rest after diving.
Sounds like you have a great dad!

And NO blocking our IPs! :smilie39: (we have to have something to do to pass the time at work...)

Fox - that stinks about your leg. Are you doing PT for it? I don't have any suggestions, but best wishes for a successful rehab with it.

fire diver
08-01-2007, 08:56
Ok, so this is stolen from SB...

We could post pics of how much weight we have lost, using householf items. Gallons of water, diving lead, children... whatever reflects the amount of our loss. Hmmm, I've got alot of books, I could upload a pic of my weightloss in books, or diving mags!

Maybe seeing each other's successes (even small ones) can help keep the rest of us going.

I'm just so dang happy right now that I finally got off my plateau. I've held the same weight for the last 2 weeks, but this morning I had dropped another 2 pounds! :smiley32:

FD

johlar
08-01-2007, 09:10
Just think:
If you get in shape you'll;
consume less oxygen
wear less weight
have longer dives
find more lobster/scallops

Disneymom
08-01-2007, 09:14
FD - speaking of plateaus....

What I don't get is - I've been swimming laps since early June - about 3 times a week. I joined a gym about a month ago, and spend 15 - 20 mins on elliptical, 40 mins on a treadmill, and another 20 or so doing weights - alternating upper and lower body. Now I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but I would have thought by now I would at least see something.... a couple of pounds, or maybe have kicked up my metabolism? But no! What's the deal?
I'm all for posting photos relative to amounts lost, but this stinks!!
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/disneymom62/feather.jpg

No Misses
08-01-2007, 09:16
Fire diver, what do we do if we bulk up? Post pictures of helium balloons?

fire diver
08-01-2007, 09:24
Fire diver, what do we do if we bulk up? Post pictures of helium balloons?

Naw, post pics of poundage of steak or fish, or something like that. Just make you explain it's muscle added.

FD

fire diver
08-01-2007, 09:41
FD - speaking of plateaus....

What I don't get is - I've been swimming laps since early June - about 3 times a week. I joined a gym about a month ago, and spend 15 - 20 mins on elliptical, 40 mins on a treadmill, and another 20 or so doing weights - alternating upper and lower body. Now I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but I would have thought by now I would at least see something.... a couple of pounds, or maybe have kicked up my metabolism? But no! What's the deal?

I'm no dietician (sp??) but here are my thoughts.

You need to be taking body measurements as well. Since you are doing strength training also, it is entirely possible that you are adding muscle as you loose fat. If you take routing tapings, you will see if there is any improvement.

Secondly, take a very hard look at what you eat and drink. Cut out ALL soda pop! Drink sweet tea? drop it? sugar in your coffee? drink it black or drop it. Don't switch to diet pop either. Just switch to water. Those individual serving, 0 calorie flavor powder packs are great! Get used to feeling hungry. :smiley19: Take what ever you normally eat, and half it. It was horible for me to leave half my food sitting on the plate (or to take only half) in the beginning.

It sounds like you have a good workout going. You might try upping the speed, duration, or both of your cardio program. If you aren't making any progess now, you have to change the diet. Putting on body fat is fun and easy, taking it off sucks.

Last thing to remember, don't get discouraged and quit! Even if you have a moment of weekness and eat those doughnuts, or have that piece of pie, get right back into the diet. Use those treats as rewards for making weight goals. Just a onetime thing though.

Have I mentioned today how freakin hungry I am? But it's ok, I'm making progress!

FD

loudgonzo
08-01-2007, 10:56
I'm in for this thread, I could use a constant kick in the ass to get in better shape. I like the picture idea, however, I can't copy and paste images, what am I missing?

Disneymom
08-01-2007, 10:58
Secondly, take a very hard look at what you eat and drink. Cut out ALL soda pop! Drink sweet tea? drop it? sugar in your coffee? drink it black or drop it. Don't switch to diet pop either. Just switch to water. Those individual serving, 0 calorie flavor powder packs are great! Get used to feeling hungry. :smiley19: Take what ever you normally eat, and half it. It was horible for me to leave half my food sitting on the plate (or to take only half) in the beginning.

It sounds like you have a good workout going. You might try upping the speed, duration, or both of your cardio program. If you aren't making any progess now, you have to change the diet. Putting on body fat is fun and easy, taking it off sucks.
Have I mentioned today how freakin hungry I am? But it's ok, I'm making progress!

FD
I may try the measurement thing.

Food and drink? Rarely drink soda, if I do drink tea it's with Splenda, and coffee is black. I drink a lot of water - every day. I've just reached that age where my metabolism stopped. I don't eat a lot, and try to avoid the yummy stuff like ice cream as much as possible.

My cardio speed on both the elliptical and treadmill have both got my heart rate in my target area, and I haven't worked up to a jog for the duration, although I try to alternate walking and jogging. I also use an incline, or a variable incline program.

I'm just going to try and be patient, and not give up!

thor
08-01-2007, 11:04
Here's some motivation:

My friend used to be in great shape and then let himself go. He stopped exercising for two years, became fat and was diagnosed with diabetes last year. 6mos later, he lost his leg. This year they took they took 1/2 of the other foot. Now they are considering doing a gastric bypass so he will stop eating. I don't knowabout you but this scares the heck out of me. I'm going to the gym now.

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 11:28
Here's some motivation:

My friend used to be in great shape and then let himself go. He stopped exercising for two years, became fat and was diagnosed with diabetes last year. 6mos later, he lost his leg. This year they took they took 1/2 of the other foot. Now they are considering doing a gastric bypass so he will stop eating. I don't knowabout you but this scares the heck out of me. I'm going to the gym now.

ACK! My wife is diabetic. Stories like that scare the hell out of me. She's type 1 and has managed her blood sugars since she was a year and a half. Well, her mom did in the beginning obviously. It does take a lot of damage for an amputation to be necessary and you see it in type 2's or late diagnosed type 1's a lot more because it's a whole life style change that they're forced to make. I hope your friend comes to grips with it and moves forward.

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 11:34
I was just thinking that maybe we should start the great ST weight loss challenge. We could start another thread where we list what we weigh, how much we want to lose and how long we think it will take to get there. We could do intermediate goals, let's say 2 week periods rather than just one giant goal.

Just something to provide a place to get a little positive reinforcement for reaching our goals.

Since this thread wasn't my idea, I don't want to start the weight loss one though.

Whatcha think?

thor
08-01-2007, 11:35
:

I hope your friend comes to grips with it and moves forward.

Thanks, but unfortunately if he had come to grips with it, he would not be in the trouble he is in. Very sad. Oh and he is type 2

WaterRat
08-01-2007, 11:39
That's the sad part. As humans we always seem to wait until something bad happens like a heart attack before we get in gear. Even then sometimes the bad habits continue. I'm trying to ward off the bad now, before it happens. I got too much diving to do to be side lined by something I did to myself. I'm still carrying way too much fat but I'm rock solid in my workout and nutrition. The results will come.

Ron

WaterRat
08-01-2007, 11:40
I was just thinking that maybe we should start the great ST weight loss challenge. We could start another thread where we list what we weigh, how much we want to lose and how long we think it will take to get there. We could do intermediate goals, let's say 2 week periods rather than just one giant goal.

Just something to provide a place to get a little positive reinforcement for reaching our goals.

Since this thread wasn't my idea, I don't want to start the weight loss one though.

Whatcha think?

I bet if Larry gave $10 gift certificates for every 10 pounds, there woudl be some skinny people on here. :smilie39:

Ron

fire diver
08-01-2007, 11:42

Whatcha think?

Done! New thread created.

thor
08-01-2007, 11:43
I bet if Larry gave $10 gift certificates for every 10 pounds, there woudl be some skinny people on here. :smilie39:

Ron

Yeah, but then we would just have to use the certificate to buy a new wetsuit.

fire diver
08-01-2007, 11:45

Ron

New marketing strategy. Just like "Jarrod" hyped Subway..... "I've spend the last year SCUBA diving everyday. Now I can fit into this size medium BARE wetsuit. THANKS SCUBA TOYS!"

FD

Disneymom
08-01-2007, 11:45

Whatcha think? Actually I think that's a good plan - it might be tough for [some] of the ladies to post weight numbers, but we'd get over it.

RonI think that's a brilliant idea!

picxie
08-01-2007, 15:22
Yay, sounds like I have some motivated (or not motivated, hence the problem!) people to join me.

Disneymom - keep a food diary. I was the same, but after 3 months at the gym I had no noticable changes. No weightloss, no decrease in body/fat % (it actually increased slightly!). It was ridiculous. I kept a food diary to confirm I was eating right - and I was to a certain extent but it was the extra's that were an issue and by keeping a food diary I was more aware of it and soon cut them all out. But the key thing for me was to up my gym sessions. I was going 5 mornings a week, alternating cardio & weights. But I wasn't really pushing myself. So I changed my routine and upped the intensity. Instead of spending 10 minutes on a bike, I spent 10 minutes on the treadmill running. Okay, so at first I could only run for 2 minutes and then I had to walk a bit. But it didn't take long and a 10 min run was easy. Instead of doing 15 general on the crosstrainer, I did 15 of hill on the crosstrainer. I soon saw results. Unfortunately I hit a platau (sp?) about 3 months later and my gym sessions became shorter and not as often. Plus it is harder to eat lots of fresh fruit & veg in winter.

I got up this morning and did a quick upper body workout. Legs still hurt!! But I jumped on the scales for the first time in ages and was pleasantly surprised. Of course, my scales have been known to be out by 1-3kg sometimes!

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 15:32

Whatcha think? Actually I think that's a good plan - it might be tough for [some] of the ladies to post weight numbers, but we'd get over it.

I thought about that too. You wouldn't really need to put you starting #s, you could just say what you wanted to lose.

Black-Gorrilla
08-01-2007, 16:18
i like the ideas of having Starting... Goal.... and like a weekly check in...
and people can drop by with tips and reassure people and what not...
i'd do it...

Black-Gorrilla
08-01-2007, 16:25
i actually just joined the other thread....
good luck everyone

picxie
08-02-2007, 04:09
Just entered details in the other one too.

Well my legs are feeling better so I guess I'll have no excuse to work them tomorrow morning. And the abs feel the effects of this morning so I guess that's good too. I have another motivator now - a wedding to go to at the end of October. So a shopping trip might be in order if I hit my September target!