PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock - DUI

snagel
03-21-2008, 08:08
Anybody going to DUI Days at Table Rock on 4/12-4/13?

We're camping at the State Park and will be attending. Had a blast last October at DUI in Mermet. Great chance to try out different types of drysuits.

Just wondering if anybody else was going to be down there.

S. Nagel

PepeDiver
03-21-2008, 13:37
wish I could. don't think I can do anything in April. I'm dyin to get wet though.

skdvr
03-21-2008, 15:12
I too wish that I could be there... I have to work that weekend...

Work Sucks....

Phil

mm2002
03-21-2008, 17:02
I'd love to try out a drysuit. Do you have to have your cert to try them? That would suck because my LDS doesn't even have any suits to get my cert with right now.
I wonder if I could get the cert with their suits??

SteveC
03-21-2008, 17:42
A dry suit cert is not needed to try their dry suits. They will supply a guide to show you the ropes.

cummings66
03-21-2008, 18:36
I'm thinking about it, got to get all the diving in that I can but I'm just not sure this time around.

medicdiver
03-22-2008, 07:08
I wish I could go but I have to work that weekend.

skdvr
03-22-2008, 08:29
I'd love to try out a drysuit. Do you have to have your cert to try them? That would suck because my LDS doesn't even have any suits to get my cert with right now.

Go on down and have some fun diving dry. Just remember that once you go dry it is hard to go back to diving wet.

Later
Phil

mm2002
03-22-2008, 08:39

Go on down and have some fun diving dry. Just remember that once you go dry it is hard to go back to diving wet.

Later
Phil

I'm planning on it. Matter of fact I talked to the LDS yesterday about getting the cert right there, and it looks like a possibility. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Soonerwink
03-22-2008, 21:11
I will be there, staying at the Carriage House in Branson with non-diving wife. She wanted to be close to the outlet malls and have an indoor pool. There are several of us Tulsa Aquanauts coming.

skdvr
03-23-2008, 07:40
I will be there, staying at the Carriage House in Branson with non-diving wife. She wanted to be close to the outlet malls and have an indoor pool. There are several of us Tulsa Aquanauts coming.

While you are up there she needs to go down to the Branson Landing... It is a newer area with some good shopping (Not a TON of it) and some good reasturants.... It is basically a 1 block stirp of stores and food...

Phil

snagel
03-23-2008, 09:18
MM2002,

I think you are local to the area, so if your at all interested in dry diving this is your opportunity. No cert is needed. You get to dive dry under a controlled dive with others who know what their doing to help you. Great chance to see if you want to move into the dry world.

I know two other people that are taking the dry class in St. Louis this next week and doing the open water dives for the cert at the DUI Rally.

There is a small fee for the rally. This typically covers food. They serve burgers and dogs during the rally (free) and have a dinner one night. All for the small fee to get in. Most dive shops that are a DUI rep will sell the entry tickets at a reduced price (compared to showing up and paying).

S. Nagel

mm2002
03-23-2008, 10:03
Yes, I'll definitely be there. After this winter I'm convinced that I want a drysuit. I can't imagine only being able to dive 6 months out of the year.

cummings66
03-23-2008, 10:49
I think you'll find drysuits are a very nice thing to have, even in the Summer they're useful. I use mine most of the year, and when you dive down below the thermocline in the Summer it's still pretty cold in the lakes near you.

Last night the local quarry was still in the upper 30's, might be because it's got a LOT of cold water runoff now, poor vis too. Ranged from 3 foot to maybe 10 at places.

mm2002
03-23-2008, 11:19
I think you'll find drysuits are a very nice thing to have, even in the Summer they're useful. I use mine most of the year, and when you dive down below the thermocline in the Summer it's still pretty cold in the lakes near you.

Last night the local quarry was still in the upper 30's, might be because it's got a LOT of cold water runoff now, poor vis too. Ranged from 3 foot to maybe 10 at places.

Yeah, I was thinking about the thermoclines too. Even in the summer it's pretty chilly below 30 or 40 ft.

cummings66
03-23-2008, 15:33
The only drawback to a drysuit is this.

The choice we make is be uncomfortable on the surface for 5 to 10 minutes vs be uncomfortable during the dive for up to an hour or so. I personally choose to be comfortable under the water and it seems to be a good tradeoff.

I think for a quick dive the wetsuit is fine, but for anything more a drysuit rapidly becomes essential, especially if you want to do 4 or more dives in a day. Wetsuits just chill you over time, no matter what the temps above are. You can't go from 90+ degree temps to 45 degree temps that many times before your body just says I've had enough.

Drysuits make it happen.

mm2002
03-23-2008, 19:29
Yep, makes a lot of sense.

Mtrewyn
03-26-2008, 10:43
I am thinking about going. I would like to, What are the details? any one know? My shops don't have much to do with dry diving, or they look at me like I have three heads when I ask about it.

mm2002
03-26-2008, 11:07
It's going to be at moonshine beach, which is just a hop and jump from dewey short. I just spoke with Monte at scuba sports, and I'm definitely going to be doing my cert class one of the two days!:smiley20:

skdvr
03-26-2008, 12:52
It's going to be at moonshine beach, which is just a hop and jump from dewey short. I just spoke with Monte at scuba sports, and I'm definitely going to be doing my cert class one of the two days!:smiley20:

I thought that they moved it to Dewey Short, so that everyone would not have to pay the entrance fee. Maybe I am wrong but I will check into it...

Later
Phil

mm2002
03-26-2008, 14:09

I thought that they moved it to Dewey Short, so that everyone would not have to pay the entrance fee. Maybe I am wrong but I will check into it...

Later
Phil

I don't know, Phil, but I suppose that's possible. I was just at the shop 30 minutes ago and THEY still think it's at moonshine. I know I'd much rather it be at dewey, if nothing else just because of the easy access.

DarinMartell
03-26-2008, 14:40
This months Dive Training has it at "Dewey Short Dam site" according to the events calendar. Wish I was going!

cummings66
03-26-2008, 14:47
It's at Dewey Short. It was at Moonshine beach but was changed do to the fee's. At least that's what I was told.

One of my dive buddies, actually two of them work it and they think it's at Dewey Short as well.

mm2002
03-26-2008, 14:53
This months Dive Training has it at "Dewey Short Dam site" according to the events calendar. Wish I was going!

I guess we'll know when the time comes. I checked with SP again, and was told that they didn't think DUI could get it cleared through the Corps of Engineers because of the limited parking and space, but they are going to check with the DUI rep to find out for sure. I sure hope it's at Dewey, that'll be cool. Moonshine is a pretty boring dive site, but does have tons of space.

Also, I went to TR today, and man is the water up! I've been frequenting that lake for about 15 years now, and I don't think I've ever seen that much water. It's up past the bottom of the steps at Dewey. Unreal.

cummings66
03-26-2008, 15:16
Wow, the vis must be horrible...

mm2002
03-26-2008, 17:31
Wow, the vis must be horrible...

Yes sir, I'd imagine it's pure muck. Even the amount of floating debris is terrible. They had four turbines open and running full out, so now Taneycomo is getting up there as well. It'll settle down soon though, that is, of course, depending on what kind of rainy season we have.

cummings66
03-26-2008, 20:53
Even so, I think I'd like to dive it that high so I could say I got in on the steps. Problem is, no time to do it due to courses and such.

skdvr
03-27-2008, 12:37
Here is a link (http://www.tgadc.com/dui_dog_days_apr_2008.aspx) to my LDS which is going to be down there. When I was in the shop yesterday I asked about it and they also told me at Dewey Short...

Man I really wish I could go.

Should be fun!

Phil

skdvr
03-27-2008, 13:54
My dad was just telling me that the water is almost to flood stage there. He said that he too has never seen the lake up as high as it is...

Phil

snagel
03-27-2008, 16:23
Any issue with the water being that high that could cause the dive to be unsafe?

S. Nagel

cummings66
03-27-2008, 18:52
The only thing that would be unsafe is low vis. I can't see any other problem. Low vis is something each one of us has experienced so I doubt it'd be dangerous, but it probably won't be the most fun dive you've ever done.

Depending on vis they might restrict the number of divers to a lower number, that is the number of uncertified drysuit divers going out with the instructor/dm. I doubt they'd say a thing to a certified diver though.

We've got a couple weeks yet, if the weather gets better I suspect the vis will improve and things will turn out fine.

mm2002
04-01-2008, 11:08
I don't know now. We just had torrential rains yesterday, and more expected later this week. I hate to say it, but expect ZERO vis. There's just no way that lake is going to settle out in two more weeks. Things are a real mess around this neck of the woods.

cummings66
04-01-2008, 12:35
That's too bad, on the bright side of the coin it will give plenty of practice in navigation using the compass.:smiley36:

mm2002
04-01-2008, 16:47
That's assuming that you can SEE the compass :smiley36:

cummings66
04-02-2008, 18:09
I was on a dive not long ago where I had to hold the compass so it touched my mask in order to see it. Not a very fun dive since you couldn't see squat.

mm2002
04-02-2008, 19:20
Matt, you're definitely hard core man! :smiley36:

snagel
04-03-2008, 17:26
Yea, it's too bad about the rain. I watch the weather every day and it looks like the Springfield/Branson area is getting "pummeled" every day. I heard Bull Shoals is clearing up fairly quickly, but not sure if Table Rock can do the same.

At this point, still planning on attending. Maybe might just be a soggy camping trip.

S. Nagel

mm2002
04-03-2008, 18:21
Thursday evening, and we just got hammered again. Supposed to be a lot more over night. I really don't know what to think of this, it's definitely the most rain we've had in a long long time. My shop has flooded three times, and our land is pretty much screwed. No flood insurance either, because we're not in a flood plane. Life kinda sucks for us right now, so you guys keep telling good dive stories......I need something happy to think about.

SteveC
04-03-2008, 21:50
Has anyone actually been to Dewy Short lately to confirm what the vis is like?

mm2002
04-04-2008, 11:52
Has anyone actually been to Dewy Short lately to confirm what the vis is like?

I was out there this morning, but not to dive, so I can't give you a "dive" report. What I can tell you is that the lake is 14 feet above pool, and with 5 flood gates open partially, there is approx. 12 million gallons of water flowing through that relatively small area daily. This current flow rate is expected to remain until April 8th, depending on how much more rain we get. The current flow rate is dropping the lake level about a foot per day. Also, Table Rock has over 700 miles of shoreline, so just imagine the amount of crud washing in every minute. Visibility you ask?

cummings66
04-04-2008, 18:23

I wouldn't choose to do that dive over one with 20 feet of vis. I'm not sure I'm coming down for the DUI event, that's a lot of money to spend and not see what I'm doing.

mm2002
04-04-2008, 19:43

I wouldn't choose to do that dive over one with 20 feet of vis. I'm not sure I'm coming down for the DUI event, that's a lot of money to spend and not see what I'm doing.

Matt, just think....you could say you went in "off the steps"!
I took these pics this afternoon, it's just awe inspiring to me. I threw in one pic from the observation area below the dam too. Man, that's a lot of H20 crashing down.

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/tablerock2008/pic1.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/tablerock2008/pic2.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/tablerock2008/pic3.jpg

Wolfie2012
04-04-2008, 19:59
In contrast, this is what the water level was like just before the rise:

http://www.millerfamily.net/pictures/DSC_0049.jpg

mm2002
04-04-2008, 20:04
Wow, yeah, that definitely puts it in perspective! Thanks!!

cummings66
04-05-2008, 07:34
Works for me. What a change, I'm still tempted to dive just to say I dove it that high. I hate to waste good money on a 0 vis dive though. It can't be good vis, no way can it be that good with all the flow.

snagel
04-05-2008, 08:05
Wooowwww!!! What can I say. Awesome pics - thanks for posting. What's the saying, "A picture is worth a 1000 words". Really puts everything in perspective.

Is there actually a current flowing?

S. Nagel

mm2002
04-05-2008, 16:38
Is there actually a current flowing?

S. Nagel

You mean current you could actually feel? I kinda doubt it, unless you were very close to the spillways. Since the majority of the water is being skimmed off the surface, I'm not sure to what depth the clarity would be affected. Since it's around 200 ft deep at the dam, I'd have to guess that at a certain depth, the vis probably clears up. On a busy summer day with lots of boat traffic, and lots of chop at the surface, sometimes you have to go 50 ft or deeper to find any decent vis. Right now, I really don't know, but it is an interesting thought. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say you'd have to get near 100 or deeper to see much.

billucusdiver
04-05-2008, 22:22
I was in the Kimberling city area today. The water looks like Chocolate milk.

cummings66
04-07-2008, 18:42
Are you checking out the bridge? At 130 feet it'd probably be better, maybe. At 185 feet it might be interesting, but still I'll bet it sucks.

It's going to be a while for good vis I bet. As far as I could tell if it was a stream it's a river, if it was a river it's a lake. Lakes, well, they're muddy.

PepeDiver
04-08-2008, 09:59
hopefully the weather cooperates for a while and the lake can calm down. I'm going down for Memorial Day weekend and intend to spend the majority of 4 days under water. I'd hate to not be able to see anything the whole time.

snagel
04-08-2008, 17:39
Memorial Day & Table Rock.....keep an eye on the boats. Get's busy especially on holidays. Time to dust off the SMB. We ended up in the main channel off duck island last year and had to ascent. Had a SMB...Thank God. Wouldn't dive it without.

S. Nagel

skdvr
04-08-2008, 17:51
Memorial Day & Table Rock.....keep an eye on the boats. Get's busy especially on holidays. Time to dust off the SMB. We ended up in the main channel off duck island last year and had to ascent. Had a SMB...Thank God. Wouldn't dive it without.

S. Nagel

Very good advice, espically off of duck island. Things can get kind of nuts around there...

Phil

cummings66
04-08-2008, 19:03
On the bright side of the coin it might be a very good year for Table Rock, with all the stuff going on maybe the Algae will float away and the vis will be better all the way around the lake.

So how many people are thinking of going?

KennyD
04-08-2008, 21:37
I'll be there. Got my tickets a month ago.

SteveC
04-08-2008, 22:29
We'll be there.

davis73
04-08-2008, 23:15
I am interested in going, and trying a dry suit. Dove there last march 2007. However both dive buddies are busy this weekend. also it's a long haul for me so I would need definite information by thursday night. (Time,day, price etc.) Also hello again Steve C and snaggle met you at quail run last year I believe?

skdvr
04-09-2008, 06:57
I am interested in going, and trying a dry suit. Dove there last march 2007. However both dive buddies are busy this weekend. also it's a long haul for me so I would need definite information by thursday night. (Time,day, price etc.) Also hello again Steve C and snaggle met you at quail run last year I believe?

There will be plenty of buddies there to dive with. I would not be worried about going by yourself... You should go, you will have a good time...

Phil

Mtrewyn
04-09-2008, 18:23
I'm planning on being there sat, I talked to one of my friends yesterday and DUI was meeting about maybe rescheduling, has anyone heard anything?

mm2002 you should send DUI your pics

I made plans to be there this weekend but it sure would be nice to have an enjoyable dive trip.

mm2002
04-09-2008, 19:07
I would love to see it re-scheduled, because right now isn't going to be much fun for anybody. We had heavy rains two days ago, and more expected tonight and tomorrow. If this crap doesn't stop, it's going to be June before any decent diving will be done on TR. I don't know how they plan to have an event of that size at Dewey right now. There is no shoreline, so everyone would have to stay on the parking lot, and enter/exit right at the steps. I honestly can't picture it, but I suppose anythings possible.

mm2002
04-09-2008, 19:13
I just checked DUI's website, and they still have it listed at Moonshine beach LINK (http://www.dui-online.com/calendar.htm)
Does anyone know for sure where it's going to be?

tc_rain
04-09-2008, 19:27
The DUI 08 DOG pamplet lists Dewey Short Dam Site.

mm2002
04-09-2008, 21:33
The DUI 08 DOG pamplet lists Dewey Short Dam Site.

So, which is more current, the pamphlet, or the website? If you'll read back in this thread a bit, there has been contradicting info. The LDS here still thinks it's at Moonshine (well, at least as of a week or so ago)

SteveC
04-09-2008, 23:21
It was originally planned for Moon Shine Beach, but it has been changed to Dewey Short

SteveC
04-09-2008, 23:29
Check out this web site.

http://www.dui-online.com/dog_main.aspx (http://www.dui-online.com/dog_main.aspx)

But I agree that rescheduling doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

jeraldjcook
04-10-2008, 09:00
I'll be there. A bad day diving beats a good day at home doing honey-dos.

SteveC
04-10-2008, 09:59
I called DUI today and confirmed that they have NOT cancelled the event.

diverdwn71
04-10-2008, 13:36
I talked to them also, the lady told me they were getting ready to jump on a plane and head to Branson and would be on site this afternoon. She said according to Army corp of engineers that everything should be ok....except vis....but the dry suits will be great.

mm2002
04-10-2008, 14:41
A lot of the surrounding areas are preparing for evacuation today. They say that if they don't do some serious dumping, that the water level on Table Rock could flood over the top of the Dam. That means Taneycomo will raise a BUNCH. They are preparing Rockaway Beach for evacuation as we speak. I live right above it, and thankfully I'm high and dry. The problem is, if it floods, Most of the access roads to where I live will be flooded, except one. Man, I think I'm going to start building an ark!
Branson office warns of potential Lake Taneycomo flooding | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader (http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080409/BREAKING01/80409045)

cummings66
04-10-2008, 16:19
IMO the only reason I'd go would be to dive and have bragging rights for how bad it was, and how I got out of the car and walked straight into the lake.

To be honest, I'm diving Eugene Saturday. I'm not spending $100 in gas for this dive this time. I have a dry suit already, 2 of them in fact. I've dove all of DUI's dry suits suitable for cold water, so it's not like I haven't been in them.

tc_rain
04-10-2008, 16:49
Wonder if DUI will be bringing tethers too. After all they wouldn't want to lose a suit.

snagel
04-10-2008, 17:48
Getting in the water off the steps shouldn't be that big of an issue. At Mermet, the took groups in 3-4 people and got in and out on one dock. Now, getting to the steps might be an issue and getting to dewey short might be an issue.

Man it dumped about 4 inches here in the Warrensburg area today. Every stream/river is over flooded and the fields next to them look like lakes. Water goes down hill, so all this is heading south toward southern Mo.

THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!! But,

KennyD
04-10-2008, 18:50
My LDS shop just called me here in Wichtia and said that they canceled our DUI trip.

cummings66
04-10-2008, 19:16
We have a concept in CAP called ORM. It's all about risk management.

In my opinion, only mine, to continue the event on the date given is opening themselves up to liability. There is a real risk here that the high waters, low vis, potential water over the dam, storm, and flooding that somebody can get hurt.

I applaud the dive shop who cancelled out. IMO they have shown good sense.

It's not about bad vis, it's not about high water, it's not about the flooding or even the storms that day. It's that they're all happening at the same time.

In any accident, there is a point at which a person could have prevented it, if only they broke the chain at any one of those links.

To be honest I want to dive there, especially with the high water and poor vis. I want bragging rights for doing it, but my risk management is saying it's not worth it. There is nothing there that makes the dive a need to be done that day dive.

For those that feel the risk is OK, be vigilant and stay right next to your buddy.

mm2002
04-10-2008, 19:47
We just got back from a little drive, and I can tell you that if DUI continues this event, they're nuts. Table Rock is now expected to crest at 933 ft sometime between tomorrow and Sunday. The water looks light brown, and the swells aren't even white. We had 35mph winds today on top of the excess water, so it was VERY rough. There is so much floating debris in the water, there's no way I'd crawl in. Definitely don't plan on bringing a boat!
I honestly can't believe that the Corps of Engineers hasn't shut down ANY activity around the lake.

Hey, on the bright side, I can still be there! If any of you just want to hang out, drink a couple of beers, and look out and saw wow, just let me know! :smiley36:

Walt725
04-10-2008, 20:07
A beer and a burger sounds like a good idea. Its a long drive, but hey.. the taxes are done and the wife wants to get out of the house. We'll see you there, but I anticipate we'll stay very very dry !

Mtrewyn
04-10-2008, 21:15
they will get there and go "oops, Maybe we should have listened to all those local divers that told us that this was not smart."

I'll drive down there to take a look, shake my head, than go to Bass Pro in Springfield.

and I RELAY want to try a Dry Suit to see if I want to try and invest in one

cummings66
04-10-2008, 21:28
You're close enough to do it, I'm 4 1/2 hours away so I can't just drive down to take a peek. I'd do it if I could justify the expense, but to be honest I've got to put the money where it will do the most good. I'm sorry, but Branson just doesn't offer me enough to get me there if I'm not diving. The Krispy Kreme store is nice and all, but I don't really need it.

jeraldjcook
04-10-2008, 21:55
they will get there and go "oops, Maybe we should have listened to all those local divers that told us that this was not smart."

I'll drive down there to take a look, shake my head, than go to Bass Pro in Springfield.

and I RELAY want to try a Dry Suit to see if I want to try and invest in one

Nothing says you have to dive. Pay your $8, try on a bunch of suits, undergarments, etc, eat a free lunch, and hang out.

snipecall
04-10-2008, 22:17
Thought I would finally chime in here. Go by Modiver71 on the "other board." Went down to see the water tonight and I'm glad I did. I can't see diving at Dewey Short this weekend. Corps predicts lake will top out at 933 on Saturday. This will set the all time record! Quick reminder on levels: 915 normal pool. 930 flood pool. Corps has stated that flood gates will remain open until Tuesday.
Weather is supposed to turn colder this weekend. Calling for a high of 43 and snow flurries on Saturday.
Along with a version of Titanic, Branson now has a version of Niagra Falls. Really impressive to see all 10 gates open. Its Branson's newest tourist attraction and its free!
Ran into Louis with Scuba-Sports on the conrete steps at Dewey tonight, said he would be calling DUI tomorrow to either cancel or talk about moving the site. I just cant see diving TR anywhere this weekend, but Louis knows the lake better than I. As Cummings stated, its a matter of safety. Vis would be 2 feet at best, but there is debris, high winds, and the question of current now that 10 gates are fully open. Remember Dewey Short is on the upstream south bank of the dam.
Upshots are: Come see the new tourist attraction. Last time water was this high was about 2 weeks ago with 5 gates open, or 1961 with 10 gates open. I went down to see it because it will probably never happen again in my lifetime. Norfork has all 13 flood gates open and I've heard Beaver is wide open. Downtown Branson and the Landing are not flooded, (the dams are doing their primary purpose: flood control), but the fancy water show fountains are flooded, supposedly they were designed for this. Louis confided in me that the lower level parking garages at the Landing are underwater. (Wouldn't that be a cool dive!)
Another upshot is that when the water does go down, the divesites should look different. While standing on the concrete steps, we both talked about how the site is completely different.
Who knows, they may get to use their new auxillary spillway built for the purposes of the 1,000 year flood.
Gonna try to attach some pictures taken 10 April, 2008.
--Kevin in Springfield

snipecall
04-10-2008, 22:26
Resized pics. Traffic near the dam looked like 76 Strip!

snipecall
04-10-2008, 22:33
More pics
Great website to checkout White River Lake System
Reservoirs in Little Rock District (http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/reservoirs-o%20graph.htm)
Water level in pics was about 929. Would need to add 3-4 feet according to Corps predictions this weekend.

tc_rain
04-11-2008, 08:19
If they do end up moving it, is there anywhere around there that would be worth diving? I am not familar with the area.

cummings66
04-11-2008, 08:19
Thanks for the pictures Kevin, looks interesting. I don't mean to imply no diver should dive, but for a new to drysuits diver it could be interesting. Since the instructor can't see past his arm I can see people having problems they would have been able to prevent. Be careful people.

snipecall
04-11-2008, 08:35
Thanks for the pictures Kevin, looks interesting. I don't mean to imply no diver should dive, but for a new to drysuits diver it could be interesting. Since the instructor can't see past his arm I can see people having problems they would have been able to prevent. Be careful people.

Yep. Lake is still open for anyone who wants to jump in. I just think DUI should carefully consider conditions when putting people in the water.

Lake is at 931 as of this morning and still rising.

jeraldjcook
04-11-2008, 10:53
Just received a call from my lds saying DUI has made this a non-diving event due to flood waters.

Anyone still going who would want to do a wetsuit dive?

skdvr
04-11-2008, 10:54
According to one of the LDS owners here in St Louis DUI is makeing this event a NON diving event. They will still be there with suits for people to take a look at, but the will not be doing Demo dives.

Obviously you can get in at your own risk (unless the corps changes things) you just will not be able to do it with a DUI borrowed suit.

They are supposed to be updating their website soon. I just checked and it still does not reflect this change...

Phil

skdvr
04-11-2008, 10:55
Just received a call from my lds saying DUI has made this a non-diving event due to flood waters.

You typed a little faster than me....:smiley2:

Phil

jeraldjcook
04-11-2008, 11:10

You typed a little faster than me....:smiley2:

Phil

I took a typing class in grade school back when a 386 was state-of-the-art :smilie39:

mm2002
04-11-2008, 11:58
Now, to top things off, a cold front has moved through, and it's only supposed to reach the 40's Saturday. It's pretty chilly today, and windier than hell.
Man, this whole deal REALLY sucks. I was getting my dry suit cert this weekend. :smiley19:

cummings66
04-11-2008, 12:18
Drysuits are very fun in cold temps like this, it's the best weather for them to be honest.

At least common sense prevailed here, but it sure sucks.

As I said before, I think it could have been dangerous for new drysuit divers under these conditions, it'd be very easy to lose control when they can't see past their arms.

I had hoped they would reschedule the event for a couple months down the road.

Mtrewyn
04-11-2008, 13:51

I was hoping this too! I'll have to think about weather or not I want to go now, too bad I already bought tickets.

mm2002
04-11-2008, 14:42

I was hoping this too! I'll have to think about weather or not I want to go now, too bad I already bought tickets.

We could go stand out in the cold wind, eat cold dogs and burgers, and watch the lake rise! :smiley36:
I just don't see that this event could be any fun for anyone. The sad part is they knew what was happening for the last two weeks, so there was plenty of time to re-schedule. I think they should refund everyones ticket money.

cummings66
04-11-2008, 18:12
I am lucky in that my gamble paid off. I was betting on it not getting better so I didn't buy tickets. I figured I would pay more at the gate and dive if I was wrong and if I was right then I'd say a few dollars. It's the same reason I didn't book a motel room either. Normally I do both about a week ahead of a dive unless it's a holiday.

I figure DUI is like a typical diver, they're know it's bad but hope it gets better by the time the time arrives. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I could see them having issues as far away as they are, you just don't have the feel for it unless you're right there.

mm2002
04-11-2008, 19:22
Just got back from a little drive out to Dewey. I'm depressed. I was not only looking forward to the dry suit cert this weekend, but also some good diving in the next few weeks. It doesn't appear that any of that will be happening. The wood steps are totally gone, just pieces of them washing up to the parking lot. You can reference the concrete steps from the earlier pics, but it's pretty self explanatory. Also, notice the clouds in the background......the rain isn't over yet.

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/tablerock2008/pic4.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/tablerock2008/pic5.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/tablerock2008/pic6.jpg

plot
04-11-2008, 19:45
ah, i've been tracking the flooding... at noon beaver and norfolk were both above max capacity and table rock is too i beleive... if bull shoals isn't yet, it will be soon. They're all pretty much passing flow now I think.

Some serious flooding is gonna happen down river when bull shoals is forced to open up full tilt.

record highs, lakes have never been to these levels, think this is the 100 year flood?

mm2002
04-11-2008, 19:55
ah, i've been tracking the flooding... at noon beaver and norfolk were both above max capacity and table rock is too i beleive... if bull shoals isn't yet, it will be soon. They're all pretty much passing flow now I think.

Some serious flooding is gonna happen down river when bull shoals is forced to open up full tilt.

record highs, lakes have never been to these levels, think this is the 100 year flood?

No, it went through about this same scenario in 1990. This is the second time since the dam was built (1953 I think) that they've actually had to use the flood gates. Everything comes in cycles. I've only lived here since 1993 though, so this is the worst I've seen.

cummings66
04-11-2008, 20:40
From the look of things, I wonder where they'll setup for the cold dogs and all? I've parked and changed gear where the water is right now. I changed my mind, I don't think based on what I see there that any diver regardless of skill should be diving there right now. It looks pretty bad.

mm2002
04-11-2008, 21:30
I've parked and changed gear where the water is right now.

Yeah, and had a fairly good trek down the hill (with gear on) to get to the water.
I'm tempted to go out there tomorrow just to see if the DUI guys even make an attempt at some sort of showing. I can have cold dogs at home though, so I'll not be staying for lunch.

cummings66
04-11-2008, 21:48
They'll be there, they said it was sunny and great weather, come on down. They will be there, of that I am sure and to be honest if you're thinking of buying a DUI drysuit I'd go and get fitted by DUI and at least you'd know what you need.

skdvr
04-11-2008, 21:50
Man that is just absolutly crazy...

Let me know what it is like if you go out there tomorrow...

Phil

cummings66
04-12-2008, 07:02
I'd like to see a photo of them setup, in relation to where Dewey Short is. I'm diving locally, we've had rain but the quarry won't be as bad off as Dewey Short is right now.

I say locally, but the Quarry is really about 90 miles away.

plot
04-12-2008, 09:39

No, it went through about this same scenario in 1990. This is the second time since the dam was built (1953 I think) that they've actually had to use the flood gates. Everything comes in cycles. I've only lived here since 1993 though, so this is the worst I've seen.

problem is, it's very early in the season. if they get some more heavy rains before they can drain down...

i don't know how quickly they can lower the levels of the lakes though, i know beaver can lose 1-2 inches a day when it's generating electricity during the dry season, but thats also dependent on how much water is flowing into the lake.

skdvr
04-12-2008, 12:51
I know that some of my Dad's neighbors at the lake told him that the last time the lake got like this they left it super high all summer, because everything down stream was also still so high.

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer...

Phil

mm2002
04-12-2008, 19:54
I know that some of my Dad's neighbors at the lake told him that the last time the lake got like this they left it super high all summer, because everything down stream was also still so high.

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer...

Phil

Well, I guess that my deep dives for AOW won't be a problem then! :smiley36:
Sucks that it'll be zero vis though. :smiley19:

mm2002
04-13-2008, 11:25
I'd like to see a photo of them setup, in relation to where Dewey Short is. I'm diving locally, we've had rain but the quarry won't be as bad off as Dewey Short is right now.

I say locally, but the Quarry is really about 90 miles away.

I suppose curiosity has the best of me, so I'm going out there today just to see exactly what they're doing.

cummings66
04-13-2008, 12:08
At least you could get measured for a DUI suit if you think that's a brand you might buy.

Post pictures if you take any.

For what it's worth, my dives were fun yesterday/last night. Not bad vis, about 8 feet.

mm2002
04-13-2008, 12:38
I'm heading out in a few minutes, and I'll get some pics. Honestly, I know I won't spend the money for a DUI suit, so it's kinda pointless to get fitted for one of theirs. Remember, I have to buy 2! The wife and I have already discussed it, and we're going to try to keep the budget for 2 suits at around $2500. That's not going to get us DUI suits!

Glad your dives went well yesterday, Matt. I'm jealous!

mm2002
04-13-2008, 16:27
I got out there around 1:00pm, and there wasn't any sign of an event going on. I'm assuming they packed up and left earlier than planned. I did get to see that cold brown water splashing up on the parking lot again, so at least I had my dose of depression today.

snagel
04-13-2008, 16:37
Just got back from Table Rock. DUI was a bust. They showed up, but it was cold and windy and no diving.

I've posted some pictures in my album (link below). Go to Table Rock Apr 08 DUI Flood.

Water everywhere, but none safe to dive in.

S. Nagel

mm2002
04-13-2008, 17:03
snagel, I'll have to say that you really brightened up my day. I look in your pics, and the first thing I see is this:

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/diversview.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of fish that is, but it sure looks pretty! :smiley36:

Then I see this, and I realize......we are missing a great opportunity here! Where else can you dive all the way to the picnic tables for a snack? Man, thanks, and just to think I was depressed until now!

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/scubapicnic.jpg

snagel
04-13-2008, 17:20
No problem, glad I could help brighten your day a little. Aawww Mexico. We were on a snorkle trip and actually my brother in law snapped that picture. (My wife was next to me, so I thought I better not). It must be the gods or something because when I put the album together that picture just popped up as the first picture and of course I had to leave it.

S. Nagel

mm2002
04-13-2008, 17:24
Funny that picture would happen to be the first that pops up on your album huh? It's almost like it was meant to be. I vote for don't change it unless the wife says to! :smiley36: