PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else working on Good Friday??

TRACI
03-21-2008, 10:51
Is anyone else having to work on Good Friday?? It seems like everyone in the world is off today except me!

ScubaJenn81
03-21-2008, 10:52
If it makes you feel better, I am here at work until 7pm.:smiley19:

Tom A
03-21-2008, 10:53
im here till 4:30

hoobascooba
03-21-2008, 10:54
i'm off today, but to reassure you, it has nothing to do with Good Friday ;-)

cmburch
03-21-2008, 11:00
My body is at work, but my mind is on surfing and fishing and abalone. The parking lot at work is about 3/4 of normal, but more probably due to spring break.

Gombessa
03-21-2008, 11:15
I had no idea it was a holiday for so many people. Just a regular work day for me.

scootermcfly
03-21-2008, 11:26
Yeah, I am here working, taking a little time at lunch to do some surfing.

Scooter McFly

emcbride81
03-21-2008, 11:29
yep til 930

Deep Six
03-21-2008, 11:29
yep. going in at 6pm

it sucks

Zyxistal
03-21-2008, 11:32
I'm here but I think I'm the only person at work out here.

DivingCRNA
03-21-2008, 11:35
I am actually off, which is nice. Went to Holy Thursday mass last night, will make Good Friday tonight, and will be at the Easter Vigil Saturday night.

It is sad that EVERYONE gets Christmas off and Holy Week gets the shaft because there are not GIFTS. What a sad commentary that is.

No Misses
03-21-2008, 11:37
I am at work.

It seems that in this new "Politically Correct World", companies have an excuse for removing paid holidays from the normal schedule. JM2c

NucMed Man
03-21-2008, 11:45
I am at work, also. Unfortunately, I am on all holidays, as I am the only person in my department.:smiley13: I have to schedule two (2) months in advance to get a weekend off for diving, as the person contracted to cover for me has a full time job else where.

Clanggedin
03-21-2008, 11:53
I'm here at the office til 3

thor
03-21-2008, 12:02
I'm here. All day. Holidays? Summer vacation? What are those things.

cummings66
03-21-2008, 12:11
I'm at work, it's just another day as far as I'm concerned. Most of the people I know are at work, I think it's only the elite few who get the day off.

MSilvia
03-21-2008, 12:21
I'm at work, but it wouldn't occur to me to have Good Friday off. I can't recall ever working somewhere that had it as a company holiday.

jtkkym
03-21-2008, 13:07
I'm sorry to hear you guys have to work today. I hope you guys have time off when everyone else is working.

CamaroChick
03-21-2008, 13:10
working until 4... the office is maybe half full today

UCFKnightDiver
03-21-2008, 13:11
I have school does that count?

SkuaSeptember
03-21-2008, 13:21
Just another workday. And, since I have Thursdays and Saturdays off, I'm working Easter also.

cummings66
03-21-2008, 13:25
Just another day it tis.

Defman
03-21-2008, 13:30
Is anyone else having to work on Good Friday?? It seems like everyone in the world is off today except me!

Not at all, normal 7 to 4 for me.... I did take a 2 hour lunch. It's OK though, I was with the boss!!

TRACI
03-21-2008, 13:46
I took a extended lunch too.

harb99
03-21-2008, 13:54
I'm here at work, but I would not call what I'm doing work - listening to the NCAA games and playing on the net.

DollFin
03-21-2008, 14:13
I'm self employed and I have scheduled appointments (massage therapist) for today as well as Easter Sunday. To be honest, I am not religious, so it doesn't bother me. I do remember back in my office drone days working on Good Friday.

ScaredSilly
03-21-2008, 15:02
As an agnostic heathen - I work when I have to, play when I should not, and party with the devil all the time.

bottomdweller
03-21-2008, 15:45
I am at work, but as you can see since I am posting here not much work being done. Only 1 more hour til the weekend!!!

Charles R
03-21-2008, 15:46
yes sucks to be Me

georoc01
03-21-2008, 15:51
Only if you consider diving in Cozumel work!

Chad
03-21-2008, 16:03
Work till 5:30 :-(

mm2002
03-21-2008, 16:59
I took the day off today, but I didn't even know it was "good friday".
So....what's supposed to be so good about it?

DivingCRNA
03-21-2008, 17:58
I took the day off today, but I didn't even know it was "good friday".
So....what's supposed to be so good about it?

That Jesus died for the sins of man....

RoyN
03-21-2008, 18:01
Everybody in my family is working.

cummings66
03-21-2008, 18:15

You might think so, but that is not the complete truth.

Read this;
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.yaiy.org/literature/CounterfeitEaster.html)

That's bound to ruffle feathers. But it's true, depending on how strict you adhere to the scriptures you either observe it or not.

I don't know why the link comes out that way, it's not about scuba and it's not what I typed.

NoTime58
03-21-2008, 19:00

I've been off since I got back from Iraq February 1st. Looks like my "lazy" dayz will be over on Monday.....(got a job)

cummings66
03-21-2008, 19:42
Congrats on the job. Hope you get to dive weekends.

texdiveguy
03-21-2008, 19:50
Pays to work from home!!

sidneydiver
03-21-2008, 22:09
I'm still at work now at 11:10pm.

Osprey
03-21-2008, 22:11
I worked Busch Gardens until 8:30pm

it was Laaaaaame

johnyringo
03-21-2008, 23:19
Gee, I don't work ANY Fridays.

scuba Widow
03-21-2008, 23:46
Gee, I don't work ANY Fridays.

Me neither...I have a great schedule I'm off every Thursday, Friday and Sunday and every other Saturday....so I have a 4-day weekend every other week.

mm2002
03-22-2008, 08:45

Read this;
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.yaiy.org/literature/CounterfeitEaster.html)

That's bound to ruffle feathers. But it's true, depending on how strict you adhere to the scriptures you either observe it or not.

I don't know why the link comes out that way, it's not about scuba and it's not what I typed.

Thanks for that Matt. Very good read, and very realistic.

scuba-taylor
03-24-2008, 07:08
my dad went to work on good friday

DivingCRNA
03-24-2008, 07:36

Read this;

Well, if it is on the internet, it must be true..:smiley29:

It looks like these folks are Jehovah's Witnesses without outright saying it. Or some offshoot.

In any case, it is some pretty far out crap.

Whatever.

TX1Chica
03-24-2008, 09:53
Sorry you guys had to work. I had the day off:). But to be honest, I probably worked more at home then I would have at work. I cleaned the house and packed up 6 boxes of crap, I mean good quality stuff for Goodwill. My husband was off too. He found the boxes for me to pack up my stuff. I think he was tierd of seeing all the shoes and cloths everywhere. I still have 2 or 3 bags of fins that someone gave me to get rid of. Anyone need a bunch of older paddle fins? Pink, green, black...

WAHMof2
03-24-2008, 12:36
I'm off every Friday, but I work every Saturday and Sunday now, even on holidays. That's going to suck this summer. :smiley19:

cummings66
03-24-2008, 22:51
It looks like these folks are Jehovah's Witnesses without outright saying it. Or some offshoot.

Whatever.

Don't even begin to compare them that way, and if you bother to listen to the radio you'd even hear the history experts come out of the woodwork telling us of the origin of Easter. It's flat out wrong in some many ways I can't even begin to count them.

I personally believe only in the holidays mentioned in the scripture, if it's not there it's not to be celebrated, IMO. Man does not make the rules, we are to follow them, anything else is wrong.

I knew the post would rub somebody wrong, and it looks like it did. As a kid I used to ask about the 3 days thing and why there wasn't three days here, they never could answer that. It was much the same thing for the Sabbath being on Sunday, no answer.

I believe in what's written, no more, and no less. Call me a heretic for believing in the written word and not adding to the bible.

The modern meaning of the event is good however and true, Easter has been around since before Christ and we've assimilated it like the Borg for our own customs. Good or bad, I don't know. But what we say it is now is OK by me. I just don't think we should incorporate pagan traditions into a Christian Holiday. If we want to say this is the day it happened on then fine, but just observe it in a Christian manner.

For me that's what I don't like about our holidays, we've moved so far away from what they're supposed to mean. My daughter really believes contrary to my instruction that bunnies leave eggs and candy out for kids. Too many other people tell her lies for just my voice of reason to overrule. Come on, what does the bunny laying colored eggs have to do with Christ? Not much, but it does have history, whether or not you believe it.

cummings66
03-24-2008, 23:07
At any rate, I'm not here to debate religion. I have strong beliefs and am based solidly in scripture. I'm not happy with my life as it stands and hope someday to change my behavior and become a better person.

Religion and Politics, I try not to debate either one.

hoobascooba
03-24-2008, 23:22
If we want to say this is the day it happened on then fine, but just observe it in a Christian manner.

what if I want to celebrate it? Are you saying I have to celebrate it in a Christian manner? or with christian morale, as in not so bastardly?

Many kids I know these days don't recognize Easter as having anything to do with the resurrection of "christ". Or even Christmas as having anything to do with the birth of "christ". Yet still so many christians want to keep celebrating the two as if they are "christian" holidays!

i just don't get it.

hoobascooba
03-24-2008, 23:29

Very Jehovah Witness-like. but not quite. I'd be inclined to agree that it's some offshoot.

hoobascooba
03-24-2008, 23:40
and this book (http://philologos.org/__eb-ttb/sect32.htm) is probably a more reputable source of information on the subject.

i've read this book.

here's a snippit:

Such is the history of Easter. The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now. The "buns," known too by that identical name, were used in the worship of the queen of heaven, the goddess Easter, as early as the days of Cecrops, the founder of Athens--that is, 1500 years before the Christian era. "One species of sacred bread," says Bryant, "which used to be offered to the gods, was of great antiquity, and called Boun." Diogenes Laertius, speaking of this offering being made by Empedocles, describes the chief ingredients of which it was composed, saying, "He offered one of the sacred cakes called Boun, which was made of fine flour and honey." The prophet Jeremiah takes notice of this kind of offering when he says, "The children gather wood, the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven." *

* Jeremiah 7:18. It is from the very word here used by the prophet that the word "bun" seems to be derived. The Hebrew word, with the points, was pronounced Khavan, which in Greek became sometimes Kapan-os (PHOTIUS, Lexicon Syttoge); and, at other times, Khabon (NEANDER, in KITTO'S Biblical Cyclopoedia). The first shows how Khvan, pronounced as one syllable, would pass into the Latin panis, "bread," and the second how, in like manner, Khvon would become Bon or Bun. It is not to be overlooked that our common English word Loa has passed through a similar process of formation. In Anglo-Saxon it was Hlaf.

cummings66
03-25-2008, 07:19
what if I want to celebrate it? Are you saying I have to celebrate it in a Christian manner? or with christian morale, as in not so bastardly?

Then celebrate it how you choose to, we have freedom of choice. Just be aware that we're not supposed to mix things like we are now.

My personal thought is that if we know the origin and continue to observe it with all the tradition of man, that is bad. If we don't know it and observe it then we're just ignorant. I'm not sure of the consequences in that case.

To blindly say it's all good and deny proof of it's origins when it's so easily proven, well, I won't say.

DivingCRNA
03-25-2008, 20:17

Whatever.

Don't even begin to compare them that way, and if you bother to listen to the radio you'd even hear the history experts come out of the woodwork telling us of the origin of Easter. It's flat out wrong in some many ways I can't even begin to count them.

I personally believe only in the holidays mentioned in the scripture, if it's not there it's not to be celebrated, IMO. Man does not make the rules, we are to follow them, anything else is wrong.

I knew the post would rub somebody wrong, and it looks like it did. As a kid I used to ask about the 3 days thing and why there wasn't three days here, they never could answer that. It was much the same thing for the Sabbath being on Sunday, no answer.

I believe in what's written, no more, and no less. Call me a heretic for believing in the written word and not adding to the bible.

The modern meaning of the event is good however and true, Easter has been around since before Christ and we've assimilated it like the Borg for our own customs. Good or bad, I don't know. But what we say it is now is OK by me. I just don't think we should incorporate pagan traditions into a Christian Holiday. If we want to say this is the day it happened on then fine, but just observe it in a Christian manner.

For me that's what I don't like about our holidays, we've moved so far away from what they're supposed to mean. My daughter really believes contrary to my instruction that bunnies leave eggs and candy out for kids. Too many other people tell her lies for just my voice of reason to overrule. Come on, what does the bunny laying colored eggs have to do with Christ? Not much, but it does have history, whether or not you believe it.

/all of the below is in a friendly tone.

You did not touch a nerve. I do not care what you do. Though, I am always suspect of a sola scriptorum approach to christianity. I always worry about direct literal interpretations of ancient writings translated (sometimes NOT very accurately) into modern day english. This is particularly troublesome when it comes to the gospels (which the holidays are generally centered on) because Mark was the first written gospel and it was written about 70 years after the crucifixion.

For extra points: Can anyone show me where the word "Bible" is IN the Bible (NOT on the cover, but as part of the inspired text)?

I love my faith in that it is rich in tradition, has the magisterium, canon law, and direct apostolic succession back to the founder of The Church, St. Peter.
I find the observance of Lent, the crucifixion and the resurrection to be the most inspiring part of the Church calendar. In the Catholic Church Easter Sunday is really called "The resurrection of the Lord" or some words close to that.

BTW-if you think the history of Easter as an intertwining of pagan ritual and and christianity is bad, you should really look at CHRISTMAS! As for my family, we choose to place the emphasis on the christian aspects of the holidays, rather than the common cultural emphasis. There are some (not a lot) of Christmas gifts, and some Easter candy, but not a lot. The kids know the real reason behind the holidays.

Answers to your questions- 3 days: "On the 3rd day he rose again." Friday is the first day because He died before sunset, Saturday is the second day, and Sunday is the third day, on which he rose again.

Sunday as the sabbath-Sunday replaced Saturday as the sabbath for christians(as opposed to the jews) in honor of the resurrection of the Lord occurring on a Sunday. For extra points: The jewish sabbath is actually sunset Friday until the appearance of 3 stars in the sky on Saturday night, not simply "Saturday".

scuba Widow
03-25-2008, 20:51
If we want to say this is the day it happened on then fine, but just observe it in a Christian manner.

Many kids I know these days don't recognize Easter as having anything to do with the resurrection of "christ". Or even Christmas as having anything to do with the birth of "christ". Yet still so many christians want to keep celebrating the two as if they are "christian" holidays!

i just don't get it.

In my opinion, every holiday anymore is not celebrated in the way that is should.The major holidays that should have meaning and conviction don't, such as Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, they have all just become a day off. They have all became so such a economical vehicle that children don't have any choice but to be confused about the true meaning of the holiday.

I believe that children should have the childhood stories, but should also be taught reasons for the seasons.

hoobascooba
03-25-2008, 23:50
so what, who really cares anyway about WHERE from and how come we have holidays. What's so "bad" about traditions? And what is so wrong with someone celebrating the christian way and/or letting someone else celebrate what and how they want to, even if they don't believe in jesus or a god. I've read about traditions throughout the scriptures. Some good, some bad. So why do some christians get mad when they meet an atheist that celebrates easter or christmas?

well, i'll tell ya.

It all comes down to a belief. there's TRUTH, and then there's BELIEF. A belief can be a lie. So, although I sometimes don't always know what I believe anymore, but I'll say this... I won't believe a lie again!

Believers of the lie, don't know it's a lie, because their emotions are too deeply involved.

\please accept my apologies for rudeness, boldness, and quite frankly, my all honesty on the subject.

tndiverdude
03-29-2008, 22:09
So Good Friday was also Purim, a day to get drunk, eat and NOT WORK... yup being oOthodox Jewish we were not allowed to work.......
so we didnt. Instead I got for a purim gift a bottle of Johhny Walker Red, Michelob. My wife got a bottle of Manachevitz, our daughter a teeny bottle of Vodka and we all read the megilla, made noise, had a waterballon fight and got schnokered!
It was the best PURIM Ever!:smiley32:

cummings66
03-30-2008, 08:50
For those that don't believe this, read Esther 9:1 and continue on a bit. Very interesting event, but it is for real.

Did you have hamentaschen and if so what recipe did you use?