PDA

View Full Version : Comapass Wrist or Retractor?

thor
08-01-2007, 10:59
Is it better to have the compass on a wrist or retractor? Pros and Cons for each.

I use a hoseless air integrated computer, so console is out for me.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 11:58
Well, it's really preference, but I like the wrist mount better. I feel it's easier to take a reading when I need to as well as keep the compass level.

Only con I can think of is if you don't like having anything on your wrist. I wear both a compass and a wrist computer and find them both convenient.

WaterRat
08-01-2007, 11:59
I like mine on the wrist. I use a SK-7 in a DSS wrist mount.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47

The bungees make it easy to slide on and off. Use it on the wrist or you can hold it in your hand when using or use the bungees to wrap around a slate or wet notes for surveying.

Ron

thor
08-01-2007, 12:02
I don't mind having things on my wrists, although it does get tricky when donning and doffing gloves. I was always told that you are more likely to get an incorrect reading with wrist, unless you hold your other, whereas a retractor you can hold in front with two hands.

medic001918
08-01-2007, 12:06
Throw another vote on the wrist column. I like the Suunto SK-7. You'll find most people feel it's the best wrist compass out there today. I like the idea of a wrist computer as well. It provides all of your information in front of you without having to reach around and unclip. Retractor's make this process a little easier, but I'm partial to clipping things off with bolt snaps. And for navigation, you're not limited by a high pressure hose attached to your console. I know Oceanic's Pro Plus 2 computer could use a slightly longer hose to allow me to hold it out in front of me more. But that would make a huge loop hanging from the first stage to the D-ring. The SPG can have a short hose (just long enough to let me read it), and the compass on the wrist allows me to get comfortable for navigation.

Shane

loudgonzo
08-01-2007, 12:06
I have an sk7 on my left wrist with dss mount. Wouldn't have it any other way.

the gooch
08-01-2007, 12:51
Another vote for wrist mounted computer and compass.

TxHockeyGuy
08-01-2007, 13:07
Yet another vote for wrist (I'm seeing a pattern here). I don't find it difficult at all to get a good reading off my compass on a wrist mount. I'll also usually have my other hand near so that I can read the depth reading off my computer while watching my compass. Works really well for me.

Dive-aholic
08-01-2007, 13:24
Wrist mount. A lot easier to view. You don't have to worry about retractor line or danglies. My arms are usually out in front of me anyway when I dive, so all it takes is a quick glance down to check heading.

skdvr
08-01-2007, 17:01
Well I am going to stray from everyone else and say on a Retractor. It is easy to reach down and grab it and then you can hold it out in front of you with both hands. Then when I am done with checking my heading I just let go and it goes right back to where it is supposed to. It does not dangle that much. If it is rubbing on something you are to close. I have tried them on my wrist and on a console and I really like the retractor the best...

Phil

texdiveguy
08-01-2007, 17:18
I use a SK-7 in a DSS wrist mount. Though I own and have in the past used a compass on a retractor with ok results. I just did not like it hanging off a d-ring...so went to a wrist mount.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 17:19
Yup, SK-7 in DSS wrist mount all the way. It can be glanced at for general direction reference at any time without fumbling for a dangly on a retractor.

I know a few instructors who like having it on a retractor, but I'm not a big fan of retractors in general, and I like having all of my instrumentation in visual range at all times. Some dive sites really don't need a compass at all, but navigating through kelp forests in low vis can get confusing really fast without a constant compass to reference... doesn't need to be exact to give a general idea. For more precise navigation, simply grasping your other arm's elbow gives proper orientation for precision navigation.

thor
08-14-2007, 21:33
I tried both this past weekend and I decided to go with the retractor. The SK-7 with the DSS mount was definitely easier to access, but much harder to get an accurate compass reading, or to follow a heading, than the retractor.

Splitlip
08-14-2007, 22:08
I like wrist for all the reasons mentioned.

I also don't like danglies. And personally, I am not a fan of retractors.

Splitlip
08-14-2007, 22:10
Yup, SK-7 in DSS wrist mount all the way. It can be glanced at for general direction reference at any time without fumbling for a dangly on a retractor.

I know a few instructors who like having it on a retractor, but I'm not a big fan of retractors in general, and I like having all of my instrumentation in visual range at all times. Some dive sites really don't need a compass at all, but navigating through kelp forests in low vis can get confusing really fast without a constant compass to reference... doesn't need to be exact to give a general idea. For more precise navigation, simply grasping your other arm's elbow gives proper orientation for precision navigation.

and what the Dude said.

edit: except the part about the Kelp forests. I am on the right cost.
Frankly, Palm Beach drift divers are the worst navigators in the world. For most of my drift dives I wear a little Uvatec (sp) on the wrist band of my computer. If I really need to navigate, I wear a full size Oceanic in a wrist boot on the opposite wrist.

downunder
08-14-2007, 22:46
I tried retractor and didn't like it. I think mostly because the retractor cord didn't come out far enough (too little of one for the job) and it had a lot of tension, so I felt like I was fighting it while I got my bearings!

mwhities
08-14-2007, 22:52
I like mine on the wrist. I use a SK-7 in a DSS wrist mount.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47

The bungees make it easy to slide on and off. Use it on the wrist or you can hold it in your hand when using or use the bungees to wrap around a slate or wet notes for surveying.

Ron

Mine too.

http://mwhities.dirdivers.com/index.php?level=album&id=9

Michael

Coaster
08-14-2007, 23:30
I switched to a SK-7 with a retractor because I feel that it is more accurate when "shooting a line". Never have used a wrist mount for land navigation.

Mmm Scuba
08-17-2007, 02:48
Wrist, no question.

I like the SK-6 over the SK-7. It's less bulky and it uses a friction type strap instead of a buckle. In a second I can remove it from my wrist to more easily follow a heading, and just as quickly replace it on my wrist.

The decreased tilt angle has been a non issue for me.

CompuDude
08-17-2007, 03:41
Wrist, no question.

I like the SK-6 over the SK-7. It's less bulky and it uses a friction type strap instead of a buckle. In a second I can remove it from my wrist to more easily follow a heading, and just as quickly replace it on my wrist.

Try the DSS mount instead of the stock junk, and you might revise your opinion...

JugglingMonkeys
08-17-2007, 04:19
wrist for me
easier to navigate and quickly look.

Mmm Scuba
08-17-2007, 05:49
Wrist, no question.

Try the DSS mount instead of the stock junk, and you might revise your opinion...

DSS mount doesn't sound 'tech' enough.

It should be called a WP/B...

Wrist Plate and Bungee :smiley36: