PDA

View Full Version : Worth Buying

KevinBond
03-22-2008, 01:20
I would like some input if i am only going to be diving once a month or so is it worth my time to buy a tak eor continue to rent one, it just seems like a hassle to have to deal with the inspection .....

cmburch
03-22-2008, 02:27
Dive shops periodically have sales on tanks. It is hard to justify a purchase based upon once a month usage, but the ease and convenience can't be beat. The yearly visual inspection is inexpensive and the 5 year hydro $25+ needs to be considered. I do not consider visual inspection an inconvenience, but the 5 years hydro I do. Also consider the time to get it filled. Since I drive by the dive shop 4 times each day, it is easy to drop off and pick up my filled tank.

Scuba-Bill
03-22-2008, 08:26
It will cost you roughly $8 a month to own a tank for 5 to 10 years. This assumes you fill the tank once a month and do the visuals and hydro. It does not include any repair or other costs -- I have not incurred any to date.

Compare this to the cost of renting and you should have your answer.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ewm3lisa/CropperCapture31.jpg

jtkkym
03-22-2008, 08:50
I've done same math as Scuba-Bill and the result is about same as renting one if you use once per month. It is convenient to own one. I don't have go back to return it.

Crimediver
03-22-2008, 09:04
I own thirty tanks, maybe more. I got certified as a PSI and as a TDI tank inspector. I do my own visuals. I carry my tanks for hydro at a hydro facility, not to the dive shop. Most dive shops don't hydro-they carry them somewhere to have the hydro done and charge for this service.
I pay about 15 bucks for a hydro every five years. Breaks down to about .25 cents a month per tank, my visuals are free and my recert on the inspection school is 150 bucks every 3 years.
Basically I pay around $200 a year total to keep 30 tanks inspected and hydroed. That breaks down to less than $7 apiece for one year.

Air fills are extra of course, but I get free air as a PSD and just in case I get into a bind I have a compressor-but that is a whole nother topic.
Obviously I believe in owning tanks, but had to find a way to do it a bit cheaper. It is a lot more convenient to own.

skdvr
03-22-2008, 16:11
Are you going diving once a month or just diving once a month. If you are going diving once a month and doing a few dives that day or that weekend then you would be better buying a tank or tanks.

I purchased a airfill card from my LDS $50 for a year of fills. Even when I travel a few hours to dive I try to make sure that I have enough tanks with me so that I do not have to fill there, I can just fill them when I get back. Then you do have the Vis inspections each year but that is only $7 here. Hydro every 5 years...

I like having my tanks so I do not have to worry about getting to the LDS to pick something up before I leave...

Phil

Lake Diver
03-22-2008, 21:02
I like the freedom of diving when I want by owning my own tanks...

FyVe
03-22-2008, 21:23
what happens when you wake up on a sunday morning... and decide to go out, but turns out most shops are closed on sunday? then you'll want a tank.

in_cavediver
03-22-2008, 21:33
what happens when you wake up on a sunday morning... and decide to go out, but turns out most shops are closed on sunday? then you'll want a tank.

Thats the reason we own 14.... Oh wait, no its because we wanted steel tanks....Oh wait, its we wanted doubles, and yet we also wanted deco bottles.....

Moral is, if you dive locally, it generally pays to own a couple tanks. If you do advanced diving - you pretty much have to own tanks. Get what you like and works for you. If you travel to dive - rent there. Tanks are like wieghts - hard to travel with. (we drive 12 hours to dive in Florida so we can bring the doubles, stages and deco bottles with us)

texdiveguy
03-22-2008, 23:55
You never can have to many tanks of varying sizes and material.

If you own you will in all likelihood dive more often.

I suggest to most folks when they make the step towards tank ownership to look at purchasing 2, it just makes sense for the recreational diver be it Al. or steel.

I was diving today and using 5 of my tanks per dive (set of doubles//argon bottle//2 deco bottles)...the guy set-up next to me was diving a DR rebreather....he had know clue what he was missing, what a whimp--lol.

Get a tank!!

:)

aggie99
03-23-2008, 00:32
He who dies with the most tanks wins!!!

So far CrimeDiver is in the lead with 31, that's pretty damn impressive!

fisheater
03-23-2008, 02:32
There is a simple mathematical formula which determines the ideal number of tanks.

X=y+1

X = ideal number of tanks
Y = number of tanks currently owned

Crimediver
03-23-2008, 07:42

Since it is Easter this morning I got up and went downstairs to see if the Easter Bunny had brought me any of my favorite jellybeans. Something tucked away in the corner caught my eye: I was soon mesmerized by all the pretty colors. Pretty blue ones, some light blue, some dark blue. There were shiny yellow ones, some orange ones, red ones, white ones, and even the black ones I don't really like. Dull silver, galvanized, big ones and little ones, steel and aluminum, DIN, K-valves, J-valves and I-valves and manifold. Just seeing them nestled there brought back warm memories of earlier days...

Anyway, I ended up getting stiffed by the damn rabbit, but I still can go diving if I want to.

in_cavediver
03-23-2008, 08:26

If I recall, Dive-A-Holic might have more. He was in the 30's as well.

We can agree though, its something to shoot for!

malley1717
03-24-2008, 14:31
I think i am just going to get a simple al 80. The problem is when i rent i usually have to pay for 3 days of rent even though i only get one dive in. This is because the dive shop is about 30 min from where i dive....Computer....wetsuit.....now tanks... this is going to be an expensive spring

AMASKU8200
04-16-2008, 23:24
IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN THEN YOU WON'T GET TOLD BY THE DIVE SHOP ON FRIDAY THAT THEY ARE OUT OF TANKS BECAUSE THEY NEEDED ALL THAT THEY HAD IN STOCK FOR A CLASS SOMEWHERE THAT THERE WAS NOT A DIVE SHOP TO FILL THEM OR IT WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU FIGURE THE COST $20 A WEEK END AND THEN IF YOU LOOK REAL HARD YOU CAN FIND GOOD TANKS THAT PEOPLE HAVE FOR SALE BECAUSE THEY LOST INTREST. I BOUGHT 2 FOR $40 APIECE HAD THEM HYDRO AND ALL TOGETHER THEY COST ME ABOUT 160 FOR BOTH. JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU LOOK AT THEM I DID GET STUCK WITH A LP ST THAT HAD A 3/4 NECK AND COULDN'T FIND A K VALVE FOR IT AND MY LDS OWNER REALLY DOES NOT LIKE TO FILL IT BECAUSE OF THE RESERVE FEATURE. WE DISABLED THE RESERVE VALVE AND I USE MY STEELS FOR SHORT DIVES AS THEY ONLY HOLD 75 AT 2250LBS. ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE.:smiley20:

cogrwy
05-02-2008, 10:15
In my case, it's more for convenience than cost savings. When I rent, I have to wait until the day before the dive to get a tank, and then I have to take what I can get. With my own, I can get them filled at my convenience and I always have the size I want (HP 100's).

ChrisA
05-05-2008, 14:28
I would like some input if i am only going to be diving once a month or so is it worth my time to buy a tak eor continue to rent one, it just seems like a hassle to have to deal with the inspection .....

Gas is going to be $5.00 a galon soon if you own a few tanks you can do two or three dives and only have to make one trip to the dive shop for air. If you rent you have to make two trips per dive. Not only is it the gas price but what is your time worth? AL80 tanks are cheap. Get one now and then keep eyes open for good used tanks and pick them up as you find good deals. You can always sell a used tank for the price you paid. so it is like renting for free.

ChrisA
05-05-2008, 14:32
....I USE MY STEELS FOR SHORT DIVES AS THEY ONLY HOLD 75 AT 2250LBS. ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE.:smiley20:

A standard AL80 only holds about 78 cu ft at 3,000 PSI. You "small" 75 is only 3 cu ft less.

matt151617
05-06-2008, 00:33
IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN THEN YOU WON'T GET TOLD BY THE DIVE SHOP ON FRIDAY THAT THEY ARE OUT OF TANKS BECAUSE THEY NEEDED ALL THAT THEY HAD IN STOCK FOR A CLASS SOMEWHERE THAT THERE WAS NOT A DIVE SHOP TO FILL THEM OR IT WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU FIGURE THE COST $20 A WEEK END AND THEN IF YOU LOOK REAL HARD YOU CAN FIND GOOD TANKS THAT PEOPLE HAVE FOR SALE BECAUSE THEY LOST INTREST. I BOUGHT 2 FOR $40 APIECE HAD THEM HYDRO AND ALL TOGETHER THEY COST ME ABOUT 160 FOR BOTH. JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU LOOK AT THEM I DID GET STUCK WITH A LP ST THAT HAD A 3/4 NECK AND COULDN'T FIND A K VALVE FOR IT AND MY LDS OWNER REALLY DOES NOT LIKE TO FILL IT BECAUSE OF THE RESERVE FEATURE. WE DISABLED THE RESERVE VALVE AND I USE MY STEELS FOR SHORT DIVES AS THEY ONLY HOLD 75 AT 2250LBS. ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE.:smiley20:

http://www.gopherstick.com/CAPS%20LOCK.jpg

hooligan
05-06-2008, 01:27

http://www.gopherstick.com/CAPS%20LOCK.jpg

You beat me to it... May I also add... HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE BATMAN

616fun
05-14-2008, 17:55
I have a problem. I'm addicted to owning tanks. Big ones, little one, it doesn't matter. Be careful, you can't have just one....

Don't say you haven't been warned.

longtailbda
05-31-2008, 05:57
Local lds charges $50 for lifetime fills or lifetime fills are included if you buy tank from them. Its worth owning your own tank for convenience sake.

mike_s
05-31-2008, 10:15
Local lds charges $50 for lifetime fills or lifetime fills are included if you buy tank from them. Its worth owning your own tank for convenience sake.

I would say that tanks are worth owning just for the convenience sake... just to reduce the hassle.

but if you get lifetime fills, then it's definately worth it.

Navy OnStar
05-31-2008, 11:25
Here's My 2psi. I am married so when I dive my wife dives. It is about 1 hr to my LDS that I get tanks from. Rentals are 6 dollars more than fills. so for 4 tanks its 24 dollars more. It is about an hour drive to the store so gas there and back is about 12 dollars (6 each way) if we pick up the tanks the day before. My wife goes by the store every tuesday for other things. And then we have to return the tanks after diving which is out of the way from the beach/springs and our house. So lets say 6 dollars in gas for that. So by having my own tanks I save 42 dollars each dive from the beach and if the red surf flag is out and we don't dive, i'm not out a thing.

fisheater
05-31-2008, 11:25
It all depends upon where you dive.

If you're diving right next to LDSs that are open on all the days you want to dive, then renting makes financial sense.

On the other hand, if you'd have to drive a long way, the other way, to pick up and return the tank, then purchasing makes sense.

In my case, I don't have to hassle with any LDS to go diving. I just load up the truck and off to the coast. Next business day, I take my tank in to the LDS near my office for a fill.

mike_s
05-31-2008, 11:41
One more note on renting tanks.....

if you rent, you have to be to rush to the shop to pick up tanks either the day of the dive or the day before. Sometimes the shop might be closed when you need to pick up the tanks, so you have to figure out how to work around that.

then you have to have them back at a set time... so rush back to the shop instead of heading straight home after the dive.

so it's all about convience.

that and having "the tank" that you want to dive with. (try renting Steel's with DIN fittings/valves.... hard to find).

that and with gas being $4/gallon and having to drive to the shop, the fuel cost also addes to the convience issue. But most of it is a matter of time for me. that I dont have to rush to get to the shop to return the tank before 5pm or something. To me that offsets any cost of tank ownership.

Geoff_T
05-31-2008, 12:34
For me it is all about the math. The going rate for a tank rental is usually somewhere around $15 so if an AL 80 costs $150 than it would take 10 dives to pay off. If you actually factor in that an air fill might cost as much as $8 and that you get a forum member discount of %10. So at worst If you are paying the max cost for fills, it will take you approx 20 dives to pay off.

Now if you factor in the fact that hydro is every 5 years so barring something catastrophic than the cylinder should last at least that long generally much longer. Well you see where I am going. It is all about the depreciation, how many of you buy equipment for work on the same principal.

rawalker
05-31-2008, 13:29
My closest LDS has 2 free tank fills per day for non comercial divers.
Care to guess how many tanks I own?
I'm about to double it because my wife will finish up her OW cert next weekend.