PDA

View Full Version : The great ST weight loss thread!

fire diver
08-01-2007, 11:41
Ok, it was asked for, so here it is. I'll go first.

I started out 2 months ago. I am 5' 11.5" tall. I weighed 240 lbs. At the end of month 1, I had lost 12 pounds. At the end of month 2 I had lost an aditional 7 pounds, making it a grand total of 19 pounds lost.

As of today, I am down 21 pounds.

Start = 240
First goal = 220 : I did it! :smiley32:
Second goal = 210
third goal = 200
4th goal = 195
5th goal = 190
final desired weight = 185.

It's a long, painfull, hungry road ahead. :smiley13:

FD

Edit, I actually started 10 weeks ago.

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 11:50
Alright me next. I've ballooned 30+ pounds since a bunch of injuries sidelined me, but it's gotta come off. I can't fit in any of my clothes and I'd rather spend money diving than on new clothes.

Today: 202
First goal: 195
Second goal 190 (by end of august)
Third goal: 180 (by end of Sept)
Fourth: 175 (let's see where we are at end of Sept)

Now, this is strictly weight loss. If my shoulders and elbow hold up, I'd like to start lifting again and that could change the weight loss plans since muscle weighs more than fat. The true goal is to get back in 34 inch pants with some room to spare :).

creggur
08-01-2007, 12:00
:bayer:

I'll be joining in as soon as I get off of Vacation on Monday....I don't even want to think about it till then. Too much of that going on this week...

medic001918
08-01-2007, 12:02
I need to join in as well. I could stand to lose a few pounds myself. I've just been incredibly busy with everything going on, I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate until I return from my honeymoon. But, I'm willing to give it a shot and see what I can do...I still have to save whatever time I have to dive though. Definatly can't give that up.

Shane

fire diver
08-01-2007, 12:03
As soon as you are ready, come on in! I hope this can be a place where we can motivate and encourage each other to be healthier divers.

FD

Foo2
08-01-2007, 12:38
Ok...I'm in.:smiley5: I still have a little baby weight I'd like to loose.:smiley11: I am 5'3" and currently weigh 123. My goal weight is *choke* 110. I know that doesn't sound like much left to loose, but it's that last 15lbs that's almost impossible! I want to be able to purchase a wetsuit that fits my whole body not just one that's big enough for my stomach and too big everywhere else. :smiley2: I guess that's what happens when you're a baby factory. :smiley36:

Today - 123
1'st goal - 120
2'nd goal - 115
3'rd goal - 110

WaterRat
08-01-2007, 14:05
I'm built like a lineman. I stepped on the scales 3 weeks ago at 326. 5' 9" tall,44/46 waist with a 54" chest. I've been solid for the last 3 weeks and will continue to be solid for the rest of my life. No room in my life for fat anymore.

Goal 1: Get under 300
Goal 2: Get to 270
Goal 3: Ultimately get to 225. With previous body fat measurements, 225 would put me in the 10 to 12% range.

Plan: Using Body for Life methods. 5 to 6 small balanced meals with 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training.

Ron

Black-Gorrilla
08-01-2007, 16:35
Height 6'4
Weight 285
OVERALL GOAL 205-215 (i have a large frame, and dont know how low i can go and be comfortable and not all muscle)
THE PLAN!!- STOP SNACKING!!! START WALKING!!! I do not have a lot of time, but can do some cardio every night when i get home. and on the weekends i have all the time i need... so i will walk in the mornings (if im not diving) and i will walk in the evening (time allowing it)
I HAVE A HUGE FRAME!!! i have no fat on most of my arms, it's either muscle, or skin over bone... I HAVE A BIG GUT (small keg.. import) and it's time to get rid of it while im still young!
last time i had body fat check... i came in at around 21or 23...

Zenagirl
08-01-2007, 17:38
Okay, painful but here it goes....
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 190 pounds

Goal 1: 175 pounds
Goal 2: 160 pounds
Goal 3: 145 pounds

Centerius
08-01-2007, 18:01
I'm at about 240 right now. I've gained all this since I stopped going to the gym about 3 years ago (hit a low of 175 -- but I think I was too skinny!). It's really all in my belly (which is way unhealthy).

My first goal is to actually start going to the gym -- it's getting into the routine that is the hard part for me.

My second goal is to keep the routine and start gaining muscle (everywhere) and getting rid of the fat around my belly.

Anyone have any tips on what machines I can work on? I'd like to strengthen my stomach, chest, and back.

Disneymom
08-01-2007, 19:28
Like Foo2, I have baby weight to lose, too! (but the baby is 17 years old.....)

OK, here goes.

I'm 5'4", and weigh 155
My ultimate goal would be to get to 120.

1st goal: 145 by the end of September
2nd goal: 135 by the end of October
3rd goal: 125 by the end of the year
Final goal: 120! (end of February)

dludwig
08-01-2007, 20:47
I decided I had to "shrink" about a year ago. I was around 240. I'm 6'4 but there was room to drop. First goal was 225. Made that by October. Unfortunately the holidays added about 10 lbs. Am back to around 225 again but get discouraged as I am adding muscle which adds to the weight. Eventually, I hope the muscle will take over & burn the rest of the fat. I hope to get to around 200. My knees would feel alot better & my buoyancy would improve.

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 20:59
My knees would feel alot better & my buoyancy would improve.

My knees will definately feel better after I shed a few pounds too. Hopefully, shedding a few pounds around the middle will also help me shed a few pounds off my weight belt too :)

YellowfinKunkfish
08-01-2007, 21:09
Okay,
Here goes. I started back on the South Beach diet the day after Easter. I weighed 160, and I'm now down to 143. My ultimate goal is 120, which is roughly what I weighed 14 years ago when I got married. I've been frustrated lately, I've been spending two hours a day on the treadmill, pretty much sticking to my diet, (only a little cheating) but the weight seems to come off so slow! The scale says I'm down, but I don't feel like I look any thinner. I've also been doing crunches, but I don't want to overdo them, and gain muscle weight. Does anyone have any NEW ideas, I'm getting tired of eating the same old stuff.

My wetsuit is starting to get a teeny bit baggy!

Rhonda

thesmoothdome
08-01-2007, 21:21
Okay,
Here goes. I started back on the South Beach diet the day after Easter. I weighed 160, and I'm now down to 143. My ultimate goal is 120, which is roughly what I weighed 14 years ago when I got married. I've been frustrated lately, I've been spending two hours a day on the treadmill, pretty much sticking to my diet, (only a little cheating) but the weight seems to come off so slow! The scale says I'm down, but I don't feel like I look any thinner. I've also been doing crunches, but I don't want to overdo them, and gain muscle weight. Does anyone have any NEW ideas, I'm getting tired of eating the same old stuff.

My wetsuit is starting to get a teeny bit baggy!

Rhonda

Well, congrats on the effort and the baggy wet suit! If you're sticking to your diet, it may be time to change your cardio up a bit. Instead of doing 2 hours of cardio on the treadmill, maybe try doing some intervals. Run hard for a set amount of time, walk for a bit, run hard again, walk, repeat. I know our bodies get used to the same workout and do their best to conserve their resources (ie. fat). We need to fool our bodies into thinking it needs to burn it's resources rather than conserve them.

Of course this is just one fat guy's take on the human body!:smiley20:.

WaterRat
08-01-2007, 21:59
Anyone have any tips on what machines I can work on? I'd like to strengthen my stomach, chest, and back.

My best advice is to spend the money for a couple of personal training sessions. They can show you which exercises to do and the proper form. You can get a good routine in a couple of sessions.

Ron

sidneydiver
08-01-2007, 23:51
Count me in! I'm 5'8" and 180lbs. My goal is to get somewhere between 140 and 150lbs!

picxie
08-02-2007, 04:03
Eeeek ...

Okay. If I put this in writing it should motivate me, right?? What's to loose ...

5'5"
148 pounds
Main goal - to get to 125 pounds
Intermediate goal - to get to 139 pounds.

Timeframe's.

End of August - 143 pounds
End of Sept - 139 pounds
End of Oct - 134 pounds
End of Nov - 130 pounds
End of Dec - 125 pounds

I'm going to put this in my language now so that when I reflect back, it will make sense to me without having to convert it on google all the time!!!

165cm
67kg
57kg
63kg

End of August - 65kg
End of Sept - 63kg
End of Oct - 61kg
End of Nov - 59kg
End of Dec - 57kg

Hmmm. Perhaps I should put some allowance in for Christmas eating???

If I can get to - and stay out - the 134 mark I'll be happy. But may as well and try for the big goal.

Will this mean I won't get my glass of wine at night?? :smiley19:

picxie
08-02-2007, 04:04
Oh I feel so exposed!!! The safety of a computer screen ... doesn't always feel so safe!!

Disneymom
08-02-2007, 08:01
Oh I feel so exposed!!! The safety of a computer screen ... doesn't always feel so safe!! yeah, I know - posting these numbers isn't fun!! I feel the same way as you though - putting it in writing in front of our fellow STboarders puts a little more pressure on to achieve those goals! Plus, you've got that wedding! (think shopping.....)

Centerius
08-02-2007, 08:11

My best advice is to spend the money for a couple of personal training sessions. They can show you which exercises to do and the proper form. You can get a good routine in a couple of sessions.

Ron

I looked into it, and at my school gym we can get personal training for free... just a matter of getting an appointment. Thanks!

johlar
08-02-2007, 10:36
When I bought the current wet suit (3 years ago) I weighed 180. This morning was 212. I am not buying another suit, although someone does have to help zip me up until I get back to 180

Height 5'6"
Weight 212
Age 58

So I'm an old fat guy in a very tight form fitting rubber suit!!

I'd post a picture but it's scary

loudgonzo
08-02-2007, 10:37
count me in!
6'0
245-250
30yrs old

Goal
By end of August:240-245
By end of October: 235-240
Year end: Under 235

My issue is snacking, I will make it a point to drink lots of water, just this morning my coffee will be strictly black, no cream no sugar. I am going to get a bag of rice cakes to snack on instead of hitting up the candy machine. My wife works with me also, she has some baby fat left, I am going to make this a partner deal, we're both going to help each other, and with your guy's input and support, we'll all help each other:smiley20:

thesmoothdome
08-02-2007, 11:51
Hmmm. Perhaps I should put some allowance in for Christmas eating???

If I can get to - and stay out - the 134 mark I'll be happy. But may as well and try for the big goal.

Xmas eating? It's good isn't it? We have a wrestling tourney 2 days after Xmas every year, so I know my wrestlers aren't eating. That should be enough motivation for me to stay true. Of course I love to lord over them the fact that I don't have to make weight...On second thought, maybe I better hit my target before Xmas. :smilie39:

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 13:51
1st Update:

Went to the doc today. Been solid with workouts and nutrition for a little over 2 weeks. Weighed in at 321 which is a 5# drop and bp was good at 128/70.

Keep it up everyone.

Ron

picxie
08-02-2007, 14:37
I read in the paper yesturday that *they* believe a workout with a break in between is better for you than a continuous workout with a break afterwards. So instead of having a 1 hour workout, have a 30 min workout with a 20 min break followed by another 30 min workout. Apparantly it does more for you.

Hmmmm ... considering my efforts at the moment I'm just pleased with one 30 min workout!! But ... 30 min is better than nothing and it can be worked on.

Okay, Day 3 and I have managed to get up and so something so that's good. Need to get some cardio in but it was raining this morning. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :smiley36: Might have to dust of an old exercise machine from the far corner of the spare room so that I have no excuse next week.

picxie
08-02-2007, 14:41
My issue is snacking, I will make it a point to drink lots of water, just this morning my coffee will be strictly black, no cream no sugar. I am going to get a bag of rice cakes to snack on instead of hitting up the candy machine. My wife works with me also, she has some baby fat left, I am going to make this a partner deal, we're both going to help each other, and with your guy's input and support, we'll all help each other:smiley20:

My issue is snacking too. I've been trying to eat more healthy snacks but it's hard. I can go 2 weeks without visiting the snack box then all of a sudden I get an urge that won't stop until all the yummy snacks are gone. Okay it's not that bad :smiley36: but I have visited it 3 times this week.

I think the trick might be to have plenty of healthy but yummy snacks on hand so there are no excuses. I've been having a cup of soup in the mornings, it's the afternoons that get me especially if I am working late.

I don't have sugar or milk in my coffee so that's okay. I also thinking drinking plenty of water is a key issue ... I can get through a 750ml bottle fine but I should be doubling that, if not tripling it.

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 15:55
For the coffee drinkers I have found a tastey treat. I drink coffee occasionally and love a lot of cream and sugar. Replace your cream and sugar with a package of sugar free hot chocolate mix. Those package are under 100 calories and it's a nice treat.

Ron

TxScubaBear
08-02-2007, 16:19
5'9", 50 yrs old (but a happy grampa of 3 grand-daughters!)

Started in April at 251 :smiley11:
First goal = 230 : I did it finally!! :smiley29:
Second goal = 210
final desired weight = 200.

fire diver
08-02-2007, 18:27
Great to see so many people joining me on this personal crusade!

Every Monday (when possible) I will weigh myself and post my updates. It's important to NOT weigh every day. Our bodies naturally range up and down in weight from day to day. Only weighing once a week helps even out those highs and lows. Second weigh yourself at the same time of day each time, wearing the same amount (or lack of) clothing.

I noticed an interesting fact today. I did one of my (2 a day) 2 miles walks here at work. I used to sweat pretty good from these. I don't anymore. My walks are no longer hard for me. My heart rate isn't getting a high. So it shows that I have physically improved, but it means I have to do a lot more to maintain my weight loss.

KEEP IT UP EVERYONE! ONE POUND AT A TIME, AS LONG AS IT TAKES!

FD

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 18:34
KEEP IT UP EVERYONE! ONE POUND AT A TIME, AS LONG AS IT TAKES!

FD

Thats the right attitude there!!
Lets all get to where we want to be!

Disneymom
08-02-2007, 19:19
FD, that's great news!

When I started at the gym about 3 weeks ago, I was doing single reps of 10 on the weight machines. I'm up to 3 reps of 10 as of today and increased the weight amount significantly! (I was starting leg presses w/ 30 or 40 I think... today's was 3 sets @ 60 and then 1 set of 10 @ 100)

Picxie - I do the snack thing too - usually at work in the afternoon. I try very hard to stay away from the bowl of peanut M&Ms in the office next door...

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 19:53
my problem with snaking is bad too... my friends bring me their "creations" from class pretty often.

Moxie
08-02-2007, 20:26
I'm not sure if I should hate you. I need to loose about 15 lbs. Lets see if that happens.

Ok...I'm in.:smiley5: I still have a little baby weight I'd like to loose.:smiley11: I am 5'3" and currently weigh 123. My goal weight is *choke* 110. I know that doesn't sound like much left to loose, but it's that last 15lbs that's almost impossible! I want to be able to purchase a wetsuit that fits my whole body not just one that's big enough for my stomach and too big everywhere else. :smiley2: I guess that's what happens when you're a baby factory. :smiley36:

Today - 123
1'st goal - 120
2'nd goal - 115
3'rd goal - 110

dallasdivergirl
08-02-2007, 21:38
Here goes 34 years old
5 foot 6 inches
july 2006 116
august 2006 108
january 2007 124 highest weight ever
july 2007 115
goal 112
about a year ago, the day after a dive trip, my ex-husband & i decided to split. my weight dropped about 8 lbs in about three weeks. there was an intervention at work. then i packed on beer & bad eating pure fat! in january none of my clothes were fitting & i refused to buy a bigger size. so i started walking more & quit drinking nightly. the weight & the fat are dissapearing but i am still working my way down to 112. i still have some beer fat that needs to go!

torrey
08-03-2007, 14:11
I noticed an interesting fact today. I did one of my (2 a day) 2 miles walks here at work. I used to sweat pretty good from these. I don't anymore. My walks are no longer hard for me. My heart rate isn't getting a high. So it shows that I have physically improved, but it means I have to do a lot more to maintain my weight loss.

So is it just the addition of walking that did it for you, or did you make other changes as well?

torrey
08-03-2007, 14:16
Well, congrats on the effort and the baggy wet suit! If you're sticking to your diet, it may be time to change your cardio up a bit. Instead of doing 2 hours of cardio on the treadmill, maybe try doing some intervals. Run hard for a set amount of time, walk for a bit, run hard again, walk, repeat. I know our bodies get used to the same workout and do their best to conserve their resources (ie. fat). We need to fool our bodies into thinking it needs to burn it's resources rather than conserve them.

I read something similar on a fitness website once. It basically stated the most effective routine for a beginner is a 5-minute run consisting of jogging a minute, then sprinting a minute, jogging again, sprint again, and end with jog. Eventually you step up the times. It doesn't sound too bad, but it's definitely a killer. My mistake was starting in winter. I was breathing hard and sucking in so much cold air I was getting throat aches. I couldn't keep it up and eventually forgot about it.

torrey
08-03-2007, 14:31
I guess since I'm here, I'll play too:

6'1
235 lbs
goal: 200

I reached a peak of 250 a few years ago. Since that point, I tried Atkins which got me down to 215, but yo-yo'd back up to about 250 again. Recently I tried Nutrisystem for a month and got down to 225. I took some time off and went back up to about 235, then started another month on Nutrisystem, got back to 230 halfway through and stopped due to travelling, family functions, etc. Soon I plan to finish off the other half of the food and then just carry on with the good habits I've picked up (no sugar, no processed flour, more veggies, and low-glycemic-index foods only for the most part).

fire diver
08-03-2007, 14:33
So is it just the addition of walking that did it for you, or did you make other changes as well?

Oh no, it is WAY more than that. On my days off, I walk or jog 5-7miles a day. I cut out all pop, beer, liquor. I eat a very light breakfast, a small lunch (something like a LeanCuisine) and then a light dinner. Of course I give in and cheat once and awhile, but most of the time, this is what I do.

FD

creggur
08-03-2007, 16:22

Certainly not!!! The benefits of moderate drinking of wine far outweigh the calories in a 5oz serving... I would rather give up a snack during the day or not finish a meal completely.. Nothing better than a glass of wine after showering from a good workout in the evening.... Especially if giving up that "treat" is going to effect your mental ability to stay in the weight loss game....

Take it from a former fat guy - Heaviest 220 - Current 189 - Goal 178. This is a marathon not a sprint do what you have to do to keep your head in the game and form good habits!! The payoff is worth it...:smiley32:

techgnostic
08-03-2007, 21:52
I read in the paper yesturday that *they* believe a workout with a break in between is better for you than a continuous workout with a break afterwards. So instead of having a 1 hour workout, have a 30 min workout with a 20 min break followed by another 30 min workout. Apparantly it does more for you.

I wouldn't run right to the bank with that one. The keys to a weight shedding workout are 20+ mins minimum in your target heart range, 30-40 is better, and long term consistency (3x a week for at least a month to ingrain the habit.)

Walking, running, weights, boccie ball...you gotta make that target range, and keep it there. Any gym/trainer/wo website will have the age-weight table to find your target. Invest in a Polar HM watch.

Good luck with your goals.

techgnostic
08-03-2007, 21:59
I read something similar on a fitness website once. It basically stated the most effective routine for a beginner is a 5-minute run consisting of jogging a minute, then sprinting a minute, jogging again, sprint again, and end with jog. Eventually you step up the times. It doesn't sound too bad, but it's definitely a killer.

Interval training is very useful...not for everyone though. It is used a lot in Track & Field and Swimming workouts. The same principal applies to weights or any training: shock the body into adaption (ie change). When you plateau on your goals, shock the system to break through.

Excerpted from my other reply on this post, as it applies:

The keys to a weight shedding workout are 20+ mins minimum in your target heart range, 30-40 is better, and long term consistency (3x a week for at least a month to ingrain the habit.)

Walking, running, weights, boccie ball...you gotta make that target range, and keep it there. Any gym/trainer/wo website will have the age-weight table to find your target. Invest in a Polar HM watch.

Good luck with your goals.

25 years of working out occasionally comes in handy.

torrey
08-04-2007, 01:29
The website that referenced that technique was actually geared for weight loss over fitness.

WaterRat
08-04-2007, 10:22
I use interval training for my cardio. Seems to work good for weight loss. Also on my last set, instead of just doing a minute at full intensity, I will add time every few workouts. Currently I'm up to 3 minutes full out at the end of my workout.

Ron

creggur
08-04-2007, 10:35
So do you guys want to do say a weekly weigh-in on Mondays to keep this thread going?

Ya know kind of keep everybodies head in the game, and stay focused on our goals..

I'm really inspired by my wife who dropped from 150 to 107 (she's only 5'1") and has kept it off for almost 2 years now. I'd really like to accomplish my goal as well...

picxie
08-04-2007, 18:43
Weekly's good for me. Then, seeing as we started this at the beginning of August, we could post at the beginning of each month what our goal was, and what we reached????? I find that weekly goals aren't too good as it can fluctuate a bit and either fortnightly or monthly goals are more realistic. Just a thought.

thesmoothdome
08-04-2007, 18:51
I'm sooooooo lazy right now. Summer is great and all, but it's so hard to get motivated to go run in the heat. It's also my prime beer drinking season :anim_beer:. I know 7 pounds by the end of the month is easy, but it feels so far away given my motivation right now. :smiley20::

picxie
08-04-2007, 19:03
Summer is great and all, but it's so hard to get motivated to go run in the heat.

Hahaha I have the excuse at the moment that it's hard to get motivated to go for a run in the cold!!!

I know 7 pounds by the end of the month is easy, but it feels so far away given my motivation right now. :smiley20::

You'll get there. Maybe try getting up early (:smilie39: says she who can't get up early herself!) and go for a run while it's cooler. Or go later in the evenings once it's cooled down (:smilie39: once again, says she who can't drag herself of the couch once she gets home from work!).

I should really take my own advise!!! :smiley36:

thesmoothdome
08-04-2007, 19:14
LOL...very funny Picxie. Get up early? I'm on vacation! Not a chance that's going to happen. Go for a run late? But the couch is sooo comfortable :).

Actually, I've been running about this time nearly every day. It's just been exceptionally warm the last couple of days, so I'm trying to hold off my beer intake (even though I can hear the little beers calling me) until I can get my run done in an hour or so.

creggur
08-04-2007, 19:48
Weekly's good for me. Then, seeing as we started this at the beginning of August, we could post at the beginning of each month what our goal was, and what we reached????? I find that weekly goals aren't too good as it can fluctuate a bit and either fortnightly or monthly goals are more realistic. Just a thought.

I weigh every day, keeps me in the game. If it goes up, motivates me to do good that day. If it goes down, well that's just a great way to start the day and keep the good stuff rollin....

I'll start a new thread Monday morning with my weight for the week, and an up/down report from the previous week. Anyone who wants can join in.. Then we can tally the month on the first Monday of each month for the grand totals and progress we've made.....

Bill22
08-04-2007, 21:08
Okay, I'll jump in here also :-) I'm 5' 10 1/2" tall. I started at 217. After one month I'm down to 203. I basically eat about 5-6 times a day now, small meals. I'm doing mainly elliptical in the gym and I try to make it in at least 3 times a week. I go about 45 minutes and then stretch for 15-20 minutes. I would be in the pool swimming but the pool is down for maintenance and repair right now. I'll add in weight training when I get my weight to 195. My first goal was to get to 210. Then I take it five lbs at a time. My next goal is 200 and then 195. I'll stop when I decide that I'm fit enough, which will probably be around 175-180. I'll decide when I get there. Don't want to get to light because I need the weight sometimes in my line of work :-)

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 11:39
Sigh. Just did my weekly check and damn if I didn't put on 3.5 lbs. Guess the cheescake I had last night outweighed all the running I did this week :(. I think I'm going to have to get a little more serious if I'm going to drop the pounds.

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 11:49
i could stand to drop 15 lbs.....well, ideally drop 15 lbs of fat and put on another 15lbs of muscle

torrey
08-06-2007, 12:17
Sigh. Just did my weekly check and damn if I didn't put on 3.5 lbs. Guess the cheescake I had last night outweighed all the running I did this week :(. I think I'm going to have to get a little more serious if I'm going to drop the pounds.

Haha, me too...about 3 lbs. Today's weight is 238, but I'm getting on track today. I've just been eating too well lately. That peaches & vanilla ice cream last night didn't help, but it's been soooo long since I had any, hehe.

fire diver
08-06-2007, 13:39
I haven't lost any more weight. Actually I'm up by 1 pound. Oh well, keep on keeping on. Hopefully next monday will have better results.

FD

DON'T GIVE UP!

KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!

picxie
08-06-2007, 14:28
Up I'm too. Not much - maybe a pound. Damn that couch.

Right. It's time to get tough. We still have THREE WEEKS to go to get to those goals!!!

Disneymom
08-06-2007, 14:36
Yeah, now I feel bad....
I didn't watch what I ate at all this weekend and am still down about a pound.

picxie
08-06-2007, 14:56
Yeah, now I feel bad....

Why you :smiley7: :bash: !!!

Naaaa ... seriously .... good on you! :smiley20: Congrats! One pound at a time!!

Disneymom
08-06-2007, 15:09
Why you :smiley7: :bash: !!!
:rofl2:

Naaaa ... seriously .... good on you! :smiley20: Congrats! One pound at a time!! thanks!

fire diver
08-06-2007, 16:02
Yeah, now I feel bad....

Great job!!!! Every pound counts!

fire diver
08-06-2007, 16:05
I think the absolute best thing for dieters to hear is that we "look" like we've lost weight. At drill this past weekend I had many people comment to me that I looked like I had lost weight. Best movitator of them all!

Of course it helped that these people hadn't seen me in 2 months. It's easier to noticed changes that way than when we see ourselves in the mirror every single day.

FD

Black-Gorrilla
08-06-2007, 22:07
I've been told that i look like im loosing weight... from people that don't know im actually trying to loose weight (cause u guys are the only ones)
so i guess cutting back on snacks is working....
i have also been walking every morning... and my moms elliptical machine is getting used by me as well.

REO
08-12-2007, 09:54
I might as well jump in, even though I'm a little late.

I'm 5'10 1/2" tall
52 years old

I started a weight loss program on April 24, weighing in at 232 lbs.
I'm now down to 202 lbs, and want to end up below 170 lbs.

I weigh in Monday evenings and will post my results.

Good luck to everyone on your weight loss endeavors!

Ron

picxie
08-12-2007, 14:14
Welcome Ron! And it's never too late to start!!

Right, I am halfway to my first goal and I am still (roughly) on my starting weight. Maybe up a teeny bit (but in my defence this weekend I had friends in town and healthy eating went out the window!).

Need to get on the right track. I thought I did reasonably well last week, getting up early every day to work out. I think I really need to do more cardio. It's just to cold and/or wet to go out for a run. Will have to think of something else.

ScubaLover
08-12-2007, 22:15
Okay here goes (without the actual weight). I am 5'7" and have gained about 25 pounds over the past 2-3 years, most of which was due to stress, and have gained 45 pounds over the past 11 years. I have been really struggling to get it off. As I am working on my divemaster certification, there are timed swims that I have to complete. So I have been trying to get to the pool to swim laps. Now if I could only get myself motivated to work out (ellipticals and weights) to help build endurance and muscle, I'd be okay. Hopefully hearing fellow scuba divers with their success will help.

Good luck to all.

REO
08-13-2007, 21:10
I had my weigh-in today. Current weight - 200.4 lbs. I'm down 32.4 lbs from my starting weight. Yes!!

Ron

fire diver
08-14-2007, 08:48
I did my weigh-in Sunday morning becuase of my monday schedule this week. I was gone all day yesterday. Anyway I'm down another pound. This is agonizingly slow lately. My start weight was 240. My first goal was 220, which I have passed. Current weight is 218. My next goal has been adjusted from 210, to 215. So I have 3 more pounds to go for goal #2.

Keep on working at it everyone!!!

FD

Disneymom
08-14-2007, 09:13
FD, that's great news!

I'm back up the pound that I lost last week. I did it so pixcie wouldn't be mad at me anymore. :smiley36:

porsche060
08-14-2007, 10:46
Muscle weights more than fat. So you want fat loss not weight loss

fire diver
08-14-2007, 12:23
Well, seeing as that I don't have the ability to perform an immersion body fat calculation on myself, I have to go with the weight on my scale. I am only interest in reducing my weight. I don't care if I lose some muscle mass in the process, most of the loss will be fat. That's why my diet consists of reduced caloric intake and heavy cardio work. Once I reach my goal weight, then I will concentrate on rebuilding lean mucle mass.

FD

dallasdivergirl
08-14-2007, 12:33
I have lost 1 lb in the last month. It's those last couple that are the killers!

I do notice that all of my pants are loosening up. Whew! I did not want to buy a new wardrobe.

fire diver
08-14-2007, 12:43
Yeah, same here. When I started pulling out summer shorts and I couldn't put them on, I knew it was past time to do something.

There are times I see people who are easily in the 300-400 pound range, the clothes they wear are enormous. I always ask myself, "Wasn't there a time when they couldn't fit into their clothes, and they thought they should start loosing some of it?"

I understand being overwieght. I've been too fat most of my life. But how does a person get soo big that they can't walk anymore?

picxie
08-14-2007, 14:38
FD, that's great news!

I'm back up the pound that I lost last week. I did it so pixcie wouldn't be mad at me anymore. :smiley36:

Awwww how nice of you :smiley36:

Stink though. At least you have not gone up past your original ... and we are only 2 weeks in to this so still plenty of time.

I've discovered this site ...

http://www.freetrainers.com/

You get a programme and can follow your diet too. Although according to that I am only eating 1/2 what I should be!!! I don't see how. I ate 3 decent meals and had 2 snacks on both days. About 1300 calories on Monday, just under 1000 calories yesturday. I certainly wasn't hungry, peckish maybe, but not hungry. So they either have me eating an enormous amount of food, or their foods aren't quite right when it comes to calorie counting. I've never counted before and don't really intend to start - I filled that bit in just out of interest. Very time consuming to do it all the time really. But - it is like keeping a food diary and I found when I did this last time, I was more careful about what I ate. So that might be a good thing.

But I liked the programme it did up for you. You can say if you have free weights or machines or none of them, what your goals are and then it gives you a programme. The exersises are different to the ones I was doing so it has made it a bit better in that I'm interested a bit in what I'm doing, rather than thinking 'darn I have to do THOSE again'. I think this might have kick started my motivation again. You still need to do your normal exercises I would think - the ones I have this week are all weights/resistance, so I still need to work in that dreaded cardio somehow!

fire diver
08-14-2007, 15:18
I went to that site but I didn't like it all. I went to the nutrition guide. after putting in my physical data, it told me I should be eating 3380 calories a day! For crying out loud, I didn't eat that many calories a day to put all this weight on! Right then I closed out the window, and will not be back.

picxie
08-15-2007, 03:28
I went to that site but I didn't like it all. I went to the nutrition guide. after putting in my physical data, it told me I should be eating 3380 calories a day! For crying out loud, I didn't eat that many calories a day to put all this weight on! Right then I closed out the window, and will not be back.

I agree, the nutrition side of things seems a bit warped, but you don't have to use that bit. You can use it to get new exercise tips and routines. That's what I'm interested in as that's my biggest downfall. I don't think I eat too badly, it's just that I sit down all day in an office and don't do any exercise.

Bill22
08-20-2007, 09:23
You know I forgot to mention that part of my motivation for losing weight was I couldn't zip my new wetsuit by myself :-)) When I went diving two weeks ago with Junji one of my dive buddies and the one who took me diving for the first time in Japan six weeks ago, he was very surprised when he turned around to help me zip my suit and I already had it on ;-) That first 17 lbs made a BIG difference ;-) Unfortunately by the time I hit my goal I'll need a new wetsuit because this one will go from "too small" to "too big". :-) That's okay though... I'll be needing a dry suit by the October/November timeframe anyway. I need to be close to my goal by then.

fire diver
08-21-2007, 08:24
smoothdome has a weekly weigh in thread here in the fitness section. Anyone else going to post up?

FD

ScubaJenn81
08-21-2007, 12:59
Hi,

My info:

26 year old female--5 foot 7 inches

I was 180 pounds and have been doing a Weight Watchers type program to get down to 150. I stopped when I was 153 thinking I could get the rest down pretty easily. This summer I have been creeping up and I was 158 yesterday. So I am kicking my butt back into gear. I hate the first few days, you feel like you are starving.

I know I should be weigh a lot less, but I know I am never going to be a stick and in a bikini. Plus if I go below 150, I have a real hard time keeping it off and I have to buy new clothes, and that is way too much $$

caroln
08-24-2007, 07:24
I started a fitness program last October when I started diving, and dropped 40 pounds. Then came summer, and vacation, and too many margaritas and quesadillas, and I've gained back 8-10 lbs. I'm having a really tough time getting motivated and staying on track again, so I'm really glad to have this group to be 'accountable' to. I know I should be able to motivate myself, but it's just not happening right this second.

I am starting over again today. My goal is to go to the gym this morning and do at least 20 minutes on the elliptical, and possibly do some pilates when I get home. I need to cut out all sweets and junky snacks. I find if I have just a little something, I end up craving more.

My goal is to lose another 30 pounds by the end of the year. That's really only an additonal 20 above the 8-10 I just gained back, so I believe it's doable.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 08:14
Welcome to the thread Caroln. Hope we can help keep you motivated. Getting started is the hardest part.

FD

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 09:03
I have found that on the weekends that we dive all weekend....I lose anywhere from 3-5 pounds so the trick is not to put it all back on until the next weekend.....

drdiver
08-29-2007, 07:50
I'll jump in this pool.

I'm 5'10" weighed 262 on August 1st. I've been on Atkins for 3 weeks+ (I've tried a lot of other plans). Weighed in at 251 yesterday (28th). Do cardio 3X per week. My goal is 200 which was my weight when I did my IDC. And people are sure right about that loss if you dive on weekends!

fire diver
08-29-2007, 10:39
I have found that on the weekends that we dive all weekend....I lose anywhere from 3-5 pounds so the trick is not to put it all back on until the next weekend.....

Well, I have a dive weekend coming this weekend. Lets hope it works. you know, come to think of it, my last poundage drop came after my last weekend dive trip. And I ate pretty well that weekend. Donuts, chips, beer, and good restaurant food. Maybe batcheloring it this weekend will have more weight drop.

FD

Charlotte Smith
08-29-2007, 19:01
Is it true that diving burns twice as many calories as running?

MxDiver
08-29-2007, 22:04
Im in
5'7"
174 lbs
my goal 159 lbs.

dmdoss
08-29-2007, 22:42
I just can't bring myself to do it.:smiley19:

drdiver
08-30-2007, 08:26
Is it true that diving burns twice as many calories as running?

I've heard different numbers on this. Most of the "official" sites give running more calories being burned. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
but you have to burn a lot more in cold water just to stay warm and more if you are finning more or just stoodging around looking at fish (which is what I usually do). :smiley12:

Bill22
09-04-2007, 19:44
My knees would feel alot better & my buoyancy would improve.

My knees will definately feel better after I shed a few pounds too. Hopefully, shedding a few pounds around the middle will also help me shed a few pounds off my weight belt too :)

My knees DEFINITELY feel better after dropping 21 lbs. I also am feeling much stronger in the water when I dive since I added swimming to my workouts :-) It's only going to get better ;-)

Bill22
09-04-2007, 19:47
196 lbs now.... swam laps for 40 minutes yesterday with fins. I think the snorkel I have to do whenever I dive Hayama and the diving helps to :-)

Bill22
09-11-2007, 13:04
195.... down another pound from last week. Little by little.... I'd like to get below 190 by the end of the month. Want to hit 185 by October 15th. I have my semi-annual Physical Readiness Test that week. I go on a dive trip to the Philippines the following week. I'll get to see what effect 4-5 dives a day will have on my weight loss. Hopefully I'll be under 180 when I come back the second week of November :-)

torrey
09-11-2007, 16:31
Did anybody see the yahoo slideshow of the "Biggest Loser" top 10? I've caught glimpses of the show but never really watched it. I never really saw any of the end-results, but it is truly inspirational. It made me throw donut #3 in the trash as I was reading. :smiley19:

http://tv.yahoo.com/slideshow/121/photos/1

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-11-2007, 16:47
I'm in!! I'm 5'9 and weigh 190. Ultimate goal 150. I'm dieting and working out starting today. I saw an early Sat A.M. ad for the P90X excercise and diet program and like a fish on a reel bought the system. The good part is it was enough $$ to make too much to just let it sit. So here I go! I hope to reach my goal before next spring. Let's see 10lbs a month I guess if I give room for less than ten I can make it by March.

Wish me luck and good luck to all of you :smiley20::smiley20: We can do it:smiley2:

REO
09-11-2007, 20:21
Hey 45,

Welcome and good luck.

I weighed in yesterday, and I'm down to 195. I still have another 20 to lose.

Good luck everyone and don't give up.

Ron

ScubaJenn81
09-12-2007, 07:08
I think the Biggest Loser is a great show, it really inspires me. For anyone that is in the US and missed it, season 4 started up again last night.

torrey
09-12-2007, 08:34
Did you catch it? I can't believe the 62 year-old man, who is actually not that big compared to the other guys, lost 30 pounds in the first week (a record). It's good to see that Amber kept up with the weight loss even after being booted that first week.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 13:55
Ok, it was asked for, so here it is. I'll go first.

I started out 2 months ago. I am 5' 11.5" tall. I weighed 240 lbs. At the end of month 1, I had lost 12 pounds. At the end of month 2 I had lost an aditional 7 pounds, making it a grand total of 19 pounds lost.

As of today, I am down 21 pounds.

Start = 240
First goal = 220 : I did it! :smiley32:
Second goal = 210
third goal = 200
4th goal = 195
5th goal = 190
final desired weight = 185.

It's a long, painfull, hungry road ahead. :smiley13:

FD

Edit, I actually started 10 weeks ago.
I use diving as a motivator to keep weight off. the more fit the longer my dives. didyou notice that you will suck in less air when you are more fit. when you are heavy you breath like a hog let alone loooooo... ok I'll stop there, you get the point

Bill22
09-13-2007, 20:29
Did anybody see the yahoo slideshow of the "Biggest Loser" top 10? I've caught glimpses of the show but never really watched it. I never really saw any of the end-results, but it is truly inspirational. It made me throw donut #3 in the trash as I was reading. :smiley19:

http://tv.yahoo.com/slideshow/121/photos/1

Actually i did catch it... pretty inspiring stuff. Only caught the tv show once. I haven't lived in the states for over three and half years.

danielh03
09-14-2007, 02:49
The hardest thing about weight loss is giving up my beer.... Such a cruel world we live in!

BobArnold8265
09-14-2007, 22:20
I've recently lost 35 ponds (from 175 to 140). The hardest part for me is keeping it off. The bad news is that my old wetsuit doesn't fit me very well any more. Too much water getting in now. I don't know if it was smart but I just bought a new wetsuit that fits my new 140 pound frame perfectly. That's now my new incentive to keeping the weight off. If I fail, you'll see a new posting for a wetsuit in the For Sale forum :smiley19:

Bill22
09-15-2007, 02:38
I don't know if it was smart but I just bought a new wetsuit that fits my new 140 pound frame perfectly. That's now my new incentive to keeping the weight off. If I fail, you'll see a new posting for a wetsuit in the For Sale forum :smiley19:

I had a similar incentive... I had a new wetsuit that was so tight that I couldn't zip it up without help :-)) 23 pounds later I can zip by myself no problem :-)

Bill22
09-15-2007, 02:51
The hardest thing about weight loss is giving up my beer.... Such a cruel world we live in!

Ahhh.. yes! The same with me. I found in order to really be consistent I had to put serious controls on my alchohol consumption. I've been out drinking only three times since beginning of July when I decided that I wanted to get serious about dropping weight.

Once, because I just felt like it :-).... once for a going away party for a co-worker, and once for my birthday. Hmmm... on second thought, make that twice... birthdays don't count ;-)

By the way as of this week, I've lost 24 lbs. 217 down to 193 :-)

kingfish
09-15-2007, 07:05
Im down 17 pound in 3 months.
Swimming and eating better has helped me.
Jas.

DZorn00
09-15-2007, 09:26
Count me in a month or so late but I am 6' 4" , coming in at the low low weight of 316. I am what every one calls "big boned":smiley2: I am deffinately hopeing that Scuba and the desire to scuba will motivate me to have to purchase a new wet suit.....hmmm maybe I can get a 4x instead of the 5x i have now...

thesmoothdome
09-15-2007, 10:41
Count me in a month or so late but I am 6' 4" , coming in at the low low weight of 316. I am what every one calls "big boned":smiley2: I am deffinately hopeing that Scuba and the desire to scuba will motivate me to have to purchase a new wet suit.....hmmm maybe I can get a 4x instead of the 5x i have now...

Woohoo! Welcome to game :). It's not where you start. It's where you finish!

DolphinDreams
09-15-2007, 16:10
better late than never right? I'm in too. Right now I'm at 145, and I want to get to 120.

OhNoLucy
09-18-2007, 10:39
Oh my. Why didn't I look at this forum sooner? I too am struggling to lose weight for a dive trip (April 2008). I'm 5'7 and haven't set foot on a scale in months. It's too painful. I'll guess that I'm in the 180 area. Yikes. My goal is to lose 1 pound per week. I've been eating better and exercising every day. I can tell a difference in the fit of my clothes already. I just hate being "the fat chick" on a dive trip. I wish you all good luck. We'll struggle and encourage together.

Bill22
09-18-2007, 10:51
Oh my. Why didn't I look at this forum sooner? I too am struggling to lose weight for a dive trip (April 2008). I'm 5'7 and haven't set foot on a scale in months. It's too painful. I'll guess that I'm in the 180 area. Yikes. My goal is to lose 1 pound per week. I've been eating better and exercising every day. I can tell a difference in the fit of my clothes already. I just hate being "the fat chick" on a dive trip. I wish you all good luck. We'll struggle and encourage together.

Slow and consistent is the key. Everyone is different. I've found that cutting the bad sugar (candy, soda, etc...), increasing my percentage of calories from protein (about 40%) and trying to eat more balanced (vegetables, fruit) coupled with exercise has worked well for me. You have a very attainable goal... good luck!

wdstauter
09-18-2007, 20:57
I started at Memorial Day at 235lbs. At Labor Day, after swimming and diving for the summer, I had lost 16 lbs and weighed in at 219. I'd like to lose another 10 or so before Cozumel trip this Christmas.

DolphinDreams
09-18-2007, 22:16
[quote=OhNoLucy;55014]Oh my. Why didn't I look at this forum sooner? I too am struggling to lose weight for a dive trip (April 2008). I'm 5'7 and haven't set foot on a scale in months. It's too painful. I'll guess that I'm in the 180 area. Yikes. My goal is to lose 1 pound per week. I've been eating better and exercising every day. I can tell a difference in the fit of my clothes already. I just hate being "the fat chick" on a dive trip. I wish you all good luck. We'll struggle and encourage together.

Slow and consistent is the key. Everyone is different. I've found that cutting the bad sugar (candy, soda, etc...), increasing my percentage of calories from protein (about 40%)

I agree, I lost 60 pounds 1-2 pounds a week 5 years ago. then last year between working full time and going to school, I wasn't able to exercise like before and gained 15 pounds back. Now I'm out of school, so I'm back in my routine and trying to lose that 15, plus 5 more. so far, I've lost 2 pounds.
you guys have been a great inspiration to me the last couple of weeks, thanks! and let's all keep up the good work:smiley20:

Charles R
09-22-2007, 09:17
Start 250 August ////Quiting smoking was a bad idea\\\\
Now 235
Goal #1 210 by end of Oct
Goal #2 185 By January
Goal #3 Stay @ 185 for rest of my life!

thesmoothdome
09-23-2007, 09:26
Welcome to the fun CharlesR. Good luck.

BoomerNJ
10-03-2007, 07:37
I would love to join in here as I have about 50lbs or so "extra" I could let go... :smiley2: I am currently 250lbs at 5'11" tall. The doctor told me yesterday I should set my first goal for a loss of 25lbs to get me started. Sooooo, I am setting March first as my date to loose the first 25, then Sept. first for the grand total. I want to weigh 199lbs by Sept. '08. So there's my goals, is anyone with me?????

DolphinDreams
10-03-2007, 18:05
Boomer, welcome to the game! there's several of us still playing along (check the weekly weigh in thread) as for me, I want to lose 20 pounds by the January.
Good luck!