PDA

View Full Version : How many arm sections are needed?

DevilDiver
03-23-2008, 02:42
How many arm sections do you use with your set up and why? Right now I have two arm sections for each of my strobes. I am considering purchasing a third section for at least one of the arms to expand lighting options and need some feed back.

Would there be an advantage to adding a third section to one or both? Please explain if this would be an worth while expence........ Thanks.

CompuDude
03-23-2008, 21:13
With a dual strobe setup, I could see that helping. It will let you position the strobes farther apart, which helps certain lighting situations.

I only have two arm sections on mine (3"+5"), but in a single strobe setup, it seems to be sufficient.

http://h2ogeek.com/divegear/s80-kit.jpg

Aussie
03-24-2008, 04:50
I use the ikelite arms for the DS200 but use the DS125 strobes in a dual setup. They are bigger and longer and i find them great when you want to do wide angle stuff.

Will post a pic soon so you get an idea.

Aussie

DevilDiver
03-24-2008, 14:34
I use the ikelite arms for the DS200 but use the DS125 strobes in a dual setup. They are bigger and longer and i find them great when you want to do wide angle stuff.

Will post a pic soon so you get an idea.

Aussie

Thanks Aussie,

I am pretty sure about getting the extra arm sections (Funny how easy it is to talk yourself into spending money on equipment) but I would love any sugestions or ideas on how to use and what effects or lighting options this would be good for........

dbh
03-24-2008, 21:07
The need for 3 would depend upon how long the first 2 are. Personally, I use (ULCS) one 8" & one 5" on each side and that allows me to spread my strobes out plenty wide for my style of shooting. Some people like to extend their strobes out about 3' on each side. Mine are in much closer but angled outward more than those who spread them out really wide. Not only does this make your rig easier to handle & easier to get in tight spots for CFWA, I feel that it reduces shadows.

here is a little guide that may help:
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.digitaldiver.net/tutorial.backscatter.php)

Dave

DevilDiver
03-24-2008, 22:50
The need for 3 would depend upon how long the first 2 are. Personally, I use (ULCS) one 8" & one 5" on each side and that allows me to spread my strobes out plenty wide for my style of shooting. Some people like to extend their strobes out about 3' on each side. Mine are in much closer but angled outward more than those who spread them out really wide. Not only does this make your rig easier to handle & easier to get in tight spots for CFWA, I feel that it reduces shadows.

here is a little guide that may help:
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.digitaldiver.net/tutorial.backscatter.php)

Dave

I have the Sea & Sea Ultra light tray & arms. The arm sections are about 6". So.. 2 sections plus ball joint conectors total eatimated 13" to the strobes (2 x YS27 DX Sea & Sea).

If I added a section to one of the arms to extend it out would this help for fill flash on W/A shots?

RoyN
03-25-2008, 00:33
I use ultralight tray and arm to position my strobe. Its 2x 5 inch arm making it a total of about 11 to 12 inch so that I could take wide angle pictures. Unfortunately, as you can see my camera housing, there is no way to attach a wide angle lense and the Ikelite wide angle lense couldn't work because I have to zoom in to the point where its almost as if I didn't need the lense at all. :smiley19:

dbh
03-25-2008, 17:47
If I added a section to one of the arms to extend it out would this help for fill flash on W/A shots?

IMHO.....no.

Dave

DevilDiver
03-25-2008, 20:14

IMHO.....no.

Dave

Thanks......

Aussie
03-27-2008, 06:38
G'day Devildiver,

Sorry for taking so long to post the pic of my setup.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2368/2365464025_b479d4cd19.jpg

I prefer the extra lenght I get with the bigger 1.25inch ikelite arms. They are for the DS200 so they are a longer and stronger.

Pictured is the Ikelite housing with the 8inch dome. I am currently using the tokina 10-17mm for my wide angle stuff and I find that I need to move the strobes far as possible away from the dome to get good coverage on big critters especially when they get nice and close.

The bits of foam are to add a little it of bouyancy to the rig. I dont have a problem with this setup in the water.

Diffussers also help in spreading the light more and giving you more coverage. But this comes at a cost of mayne one or two f stops. I prefer the softer light with the diffusser's on.

Hope this helps