PDA

View Full Version : Instructor having trouble with LDS

microbe boy
03-23-2008, 10:54
I have a general complaint/question for the group here.

The problem: I have a good friend that is a PADI instructor and through some issues with the shop he used to be a manager of he is no longer "officially employed" in the dive industry. (long story short he caught the owner doing some sketchy deals, called him out on it, and shortly thereafter found himself jobless). Since then he has not been able to get any LDS to support him as an instructor. Not sure why this is, but it seems to have something to do with the shop he used to work for.

Is there any sort of independent nationwide group or something like that which would help support independent Instructors with things like finding pool time (seems to be the most difficult thing to get access to without a LDS behind you)?

thanks for any suggestions.

PlatypusMan
03-23-2008, 11:54
The problem: I have a good friend that is a PADI instructor and through some issues with the shop he used to be a manager of he is no longer "officially employed" in the dive industry. (long story short he caught the owner doing some sketchy deals, called him out on it, and shortly thereafter found himself jobless). Since then he has not been able to get any LDS to support him as an instructor. Not sure why this is, but it seems to have something to do with the shop he used to work for.

He needs to find out what is being said by his original shop concerning his employment there--assuming that the places he's trying to hook up with are contacting his old shop for references.

There are services that he can pay ( like Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.myreferences.com/) ) that will call his old employer as if they are attempting to hire him, and will document and do a written transcript of what is said. Afterwards, he can determine what action to take, and what type of action that should be.

Is there any sort of independent nationwide group or something like that which would help support independent Instructors with things like finding pool time (seems to be the most difficult thing to get access to without a LDS behind you)?

Contact PADI through the links at http://www.padi.com/padi/en/footerlinks/contactus.aspx and discuss the situation with them; I would reccommend after determining what exactly is beeing said about him that may or may not be frustrating his efforts at getting another instructor gig.

PPM

cummings66
03-23-2008, 16:21
I'm not sure why he has problems finding pool time. I know some shops use some of the local motels pools for time, then others use places like the Y or other swim clubs.

I think the pool issue is a simple one to address. As to the rest of the story I'd suggest he contact Padi and go over what's happened. If the shop was doing sketchy things he should file a report.

microbe boy
03-23-2008, 17:27
I think that pool time has to do with the area we are in. Most of the dive shops have them booked up so that they charge huge sums to rent them if you do not belong to a Dive shop.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm going to get more info on the whole situation and see if my buddy talked with PADI about it. I know he is very non-confortational, so my guess is that he hasn't yet.

PlatypusMan
03-23-2008, 19:54
I know he is very non-confortational, so my guess is that he hasn't yet.

He needs to learn--and fast--if there is something preventing him from working he HAS to go out and find the cause and address it aggressively.

PPM

scubasamurai
03-23-2008, 20:21
plain and simple, might be blackballed by the the owner when they call for any type of reference. if that is the case he needs to get legal help. especially if the things the owner is saying are unfounded. also if those sketchy deals are the cause he needs to notified padi ( hopefully he has some proof) and maybe even the bbb and state attorney office for an investigation.

Crimediver
03-23-2008, 20:57
Seems like when I was a teenager and wanted to get in a pool to go swimming we would climb over a fence and be very quiet. We called it pool hopping.
I guess that isn't real practical in this case but desperate times call for desperate measures.

cummings66
03-23-2008, 21:19
I know one shop that built their own pool, of course one instructor couldn't justify that unless he built it for his usage at home and then used it on the side as well.

Still though, I think he needs to get serious and go after the problem. The main thing is the damage might already be done, after all the common saying where there is smoke there's fire might have already hurt his prospects.

Dive-aholic
03-23-2008, 22:51
Have him check the local YMCA. They almost always have pool time available. The pools are usually a decent size.

And I would definitely follow up with legal action. Try PPMs link.

torrey
03-26-2008, 08:22
When I did my basic open water years ago, we used somebody's private pool at their house.