PDA

View Full Version : Dive locations in the Florida Keys - July

microbe boy
03-23-2008, 11:17
I'm going to the Keys in July (July 4th). I've been there a number of times (my inlaws have a condo there). I have only dove out of Islamorada and have seen some great reefs and wrecks, but this time I was thinking about going out of Key Largo.

My questions is that should I expect for diving in this area? I've read plenty about the reefs, and wrecks, but didn't know what the conditions would be like in the middle of July.

Kokomo
03-23-2008, 12:55
Key Largo has great diving. Probably the same reefs that you would dive from Islamorada.

Diver Kat
03-23-2008, 16:55
Yup ... diving there is fine ... good spot to do the Spiegel Grove from, as well as a number of other wecks & reefs. We'll be diving Key Largo at the end of June (26, 27 & 28) before heading down to Marathon - where we have a time share - to dive for a week there. We normally go late May-early June, so I would expect the only real differences will be warmer water, hotter air temps, and lots more people on the road with the kiddies out of school!

FishFood
03-23-2008, 17:13
Assuming no hurricanes, you should get some great dives in.

Dive Spots - Florida Keys (http://www.divespots.com/scuba/site-florida-keys/area.info)

microbe boy
03-23-2008, 17:53
Sounds like things should be ok. I always forget (perhaps a little on purpose) about the hurricanes.

The only reason I'll be down there in July is because of the Coral Reef Conference in Ft. Lauderdale the week of 4th of July.

I usually only go down in May - the weather seems to be just about perfect then and if I go after memorial day its like having the place all to myself.

Another question - I usually go with Rainbow Reef Dive center, but does anyone have any other suggestions for dive operator? Thanks

terrillja
03-23-2008, 18:02
Sounds like things should be ok. I always forget (perhaps a little on purpose) about the hurricanes.

The only reason I'll be down there in July is because of the Coral Reef Conference in Ft. Lauderdale the week of 4th of July.

I usually only go down in May - the weather seems to be just about perfect then and if I go after memorial day its like having the place all to myself.

Another question - I usually go with Rainbow Reef Dive center, but does anyone have any other suggestions for dive operator? Thanks
Conch republic operates out of Tavernier, which is at the southern (or maybe western?) tip of Key Largo, and a a superb shop, all of the staff are helpful, and I had a lot of fun diving with them at the start of March.

scubasamurai
03-23-2008, 19:10
i am using ocean divers this april i will let you know how it goes

patrick-j
04-09-2008, 18:19
Yup ... diving there is fine ... good spot to do the Spiegel Grove from, as well as a number of other wecks & reefs. We'll be diving Key Largo at the end of June (26, 27 & 28) before heading down to Marathon - where we have a time share - to dive for a week there. We normally go late May-early June, so I would expect the only real differences will be warmer water, hotter air temps, and lots more people on the road with the kiddies out of school!

My family and i are going to the Marathon area the 29th through 31 July and looking for a good place to stay/dive..thinking about an outfit called Tilden's going to try bug hunting during mini season.

doczerothree
04-09-2008, 19:30
Lots of really good diving out of "Largo" Enjoy you trip.

Diver Kat
04-21-2008, 22:55
We've used Blue Water Divers last trip, and we're booked with Brent again for this trip coming up.

Dive Key Largo with BlueWater Divers. PADI Dive Instruction & Charters. Ten Divers Maximum. (http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/)

reservecops
04-30-2008, 18:30
We've used Blue Water Divers last trip, and we're booked with Brent again for this trip coming up.

Dive Key Largo with BlueWater Divers. PADI Dive Instruction & Charters. Ten Divers Maximum. (http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/)Just got back from Largo. Dove with Brett (DM) & Glenn (captain) ourselves.

Without going into any details, suffice it to say that we will NOT be booking another trip with Blue Water Divers.

DiverMAN
04-30-2008, 18:50
Check out this site.
Scuba diving sites and GPS destinations: Wrecks, Coral Reefs, Reviews, Trip Charters. - Dive Spots (http://www.divespots.com/scuba/home.page)

Brtobin2578
05-20-2008, 14:28
I booked a charter with rainbow reef to check out Christ statue. My g/f is just getting her OW so it should be fun. Hope to come back when she gets her AOW so we can see some of the ships in the deeper water. Will let you know how the charter does when I get back.

USF_Diver
05-26-2008, 15:00
Key Largo has the best spots in the Keys from what I have heard. You should have a blast.

doczerothree
05-26-2008, 16:04
Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations (http://www.keylargodiving.com/) tey these guys:smiley20:

SBelle
06-02-2008, 17:23
Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations (http://www.keylargodiving.com/) tey these guys:smiley20:

I'll give Quiescence a thumbs-up also. My son, my brother, two other friends and I just used them last Thursday; very nice experience.

Sansho
06-15-2008, 19:14
When I was in Key Largo in Feb I dove with Silent World, and would recommend them. They do both reefs and wrecks, often with one boat going shallow and one boat going deep.

moosicman
06-16-2008, 00:12
I am diving with Silent World July 27-August 3. Will give you the review when I get back.

Osprey
06-16-2008, 10:12
We just got back from a trip with Ocean Divers.. very good crew, helpful and orderly! Dive spots we found ourselves on were the French reef, Molasses reef, Spiegel Grove and the Benwood wrecks. All very fine, current wasn't too bad IMO

Crymsyn
06-16-2008, 10:37
I'm going to be in Key West July 17-21.

I'm looking for a good place to charter one or two dives. So far, the best recommendation I have is Dive Key West, Inc.

Anyone have any experiences with these guys?

Or have another referral for the Key West area? We're not taking the car so we are trying to stick to Key West.

Truered1
06-19-2008, 14:47
There is a dive shop next to Bud & Mary's in Isla Morada, they are GREAT. Been diving a few times and will continue to go back, we stay at the Hilton on points just a block up the road. They are helpful and knowledgeable. The Eagle is an amazing wreck and their reefs are great. If you go to Key Largo you will probably see the same reefs and/or wrecks as Isla Morada since they are so close. - Happy Diving

harb99
06-19-2008, 15:52
There is a dive shop next to Bud & Mary's in Isla Morada, they are GREAT. Been diving a few times and will continue to go back, we stay at the Hilton on points just a block up the road. They are helpful and knowledgeable. The Eagle is an amazing wreck and their reefs are great. If you go to Key Largo you will probably see the same reefs and/or wrecks as Isla Morada since they are so close. - Happy Diving

Key Dives - I give Mike and Marsha a big thumbs up - my wife and I dived with them last August and they were great