PDA

View Full Version : 1st drysuit, BARE Nex-Gen or Pinn Evo2 ?

BORG
03-24-2008, 12:40
I am torn between the low cost of a BARE Nex-Gen and a higher quality and better durability,but higher cost of a Pinnacle Evo 2 for my first drysuit.
Anybody who owns both that can give me an honest list of Pros and Cons of both suits?

Temps where I'll dive will be 40s-60+ degrees.

Thanks!

terrillja
03-24-2008, 12:43
I am torn between the low cost of a BARE Nex-Gen and a higher quality and better durability,but higher cost of a Pinnacle Evo 2 for my first drysuit.
Anybody who owns both that can give me an honest list of Pros and Cons of both suits?

Temps where I'll dive will be 40s-60+ degrees.

Thanks!

I'd recommend that you check out the BARE trilam. It is reasonably priced and is really durable.

Divingguy
03-24-2008, 13:19
Good luck finding somebody that has BOTH. I have NOTHING bad to say about the Bare suits, and have multiple Bare wetsuits. However, for what I use mine for (DM), working underwater on and around a platform, I went with the Evo2, and have been VERY pleased with it.

SHAGGY
03-24-2008, 17:49
I have looked at several different brands of suits and the Pinnacle seems to be the most durable for what I need. When my dept purchased our Evo2 drysuits, our requirements were for a top quality and very durable suit that would be used for various search and recovery dives where visibility would be low. Joe recommended the Evo2 over anything that he carried for our requirement of a tough and reliable suit, even over the much more expensive various DUI models. I am in no way saying that a Bare will not suit your needs but I know the Evo will be a durable and reliable suit. I would say the main downsides to the EVO2 is that it dont pack as small as some other models like the high end DUI suits, and the pockets are a lil smaller than on some of the DUI suits but they come at no extra charge as well. You will find many happy Bare owners on here as well. If I had been paying for my own drysuit and not known how happy that I am with my EVO2, I would have went with a Bare.

shaggy

ChrisA
03-24-2008, 19:20
I have a Bare "HD" that is made out of the thickist, toughest trilam I've ever seen. It wears like iron and I'm climbing over rocks and bolders geting into the water out here in So California. I used the DUI rockboots.

But is thick and tought what yu need? I've also used a DUI trilam that is thin and comfortable. The thin DUI material is cut "ultrar baggy" and is very comfortable. But are you climing over barnicle encrusted rocks? Swimming inside wrecks with "sharp stuff" inside. Or are you jumping off a boat to dive a reef. If you don't need the heavy duty material the ligher stuff is cheaper and more comfortable.

Same for the boots. Boat divers don't need rock boots but if you hike over rough terain then you do.

The key is to match the gear to your needs

texdiveguy
03-24-2008, 19:40
BARE suits both wet and dry are very high quality and meet tough standards....you will not go wrong.

Gombessa
03-24-2008, 19:45
Since cost is a concern, it's worth mentioning that Bare is currently running a limited-time promotion where you get a free set of undergarments of your choice with any Bare drysuit purchase. That means you can get the ~$800 NexGen suit, and get the Super Hi-Loft Extreme undergarments for free. IMO that's some crazy bang for the buck.

thor
03-16-2009, 13:28
Actually Next-Gen is not included in this offer. See the fine print.

snagel
03-16-2009, 17:20
I've got the Evo II and absolutely love it. It's a little thicker than most, but I like this. Buddy had the Bare NG. I looked at it and thought it was very thin. Buddy hated it, especially after diving some of the DUI suits (we were at DUI Dog Days). I actually think a lot of his problems were because the suit was a little small for him once he got undergarmets on; so, really not a fair evaluation.

I can speak for the Evo, great suit and you would love it.

S. Nagel