PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about these so called...

boates
03-25-2008, 12:21
protection suits.
Protection from what...........bad bouyancy?
In 430+dives....I've been stung once. It happened at the dive ladder, apparently things break loose from jellys etc. Yes it HURT, Greg hastily pressed meat tenderizer on to it and viola..............pain gone
I think the reason for protection suits is to protect the diver from their own coral crashing shame:smiley11:.
In the Caribbean, I dive bare.....swimsuit only.
Just my opinion................

No Misses
03-25-2008, 12:30
How about protection from the elements (cold water)?

Come on out and dive with me in 55 degree water. I'll bet that you will want some type of "protection suit"

JM2c. Feel free to continue your rant. The floor is yours.

CODMAN
03-25-2008, 12:34
Not always.:smilie40: There are stingies out there! You just need to be at the right place, at the right time! I felt them just recently during a snorkeling expedition where I didn't wear my fullsuit. They weren,t dangerous, just a bit painfull... I can imagine running into the tentacles of a more dangerous species...

All I'm trying to say, protection suits are not just made to protect bad divers who belly rub the coral! They can be trully usefull for avoiding stingers in midwater...

ReefHound
03-25-2008, 12:52
In 430+dives....I've been stung once. It happened at the dive ladder, apparently things break loose from jellys etc. Yes it HURT, Greg hastily pressed meat tenderizer on to it and viola..............pain gone
I think the reason for protection suits is to protect the diver from their own coral crashing shame:smiley11:.

You've been lucky. I don't crash the coral and I've been stung dozens of times. I do a lot of shore diving and maybe the jellies hang thicker there. When loose tentacles float into your face and around your mouth when you're a few hundred yards offshore you can't slap on meat tenderizer right away.

mselizann
03-25-2008, 13:13
I actually got a tattoo to comemmorate (sp?) a jelly experience I had- 1 brushed by stinging- not bad
second time I had one wrap around the same arm- same day-ouch
it was low vis- shore diving

you can bet I wear a suit all the time now!:smiley36:

boates
03-25-2008, 13:55
How about protection from the elements (cold water)?

Come on out and dive with me in 55 degree water. I'll bet that you will want some type of "protection suit"

JM2c. Feel free to continue your rant. The floor is yours.

Hey I live in N.S. Canada the warmest water is in Aug....60 degrees, that's why I like to dive without neoprene whenever I can 55 degree water.....warm here, protection suit is not in our vocabulary, here we wear suits for warmth

CODMAN
03-25-2008, 15:56
Actually Boates, diving with a full 3mm suit is just like diving without one, compared to the double 7mm suit I wear for local diving here! There is no gain in my oppinion from diving without... But that's just my oppinion...:smilie40:

boates
03-25-2008, 16:31
Yes, I do wear 3/4" neoprene here(at home). for warmth, not "protection"
But, thats my point, when we travel, I can't wait to ditch as much of the gear as I can. I just don't get the whole "protection" thing.....again, protection from what? :smiley29:

CompuDude
03-25-2008, 19:31
But, thats my point, when we travel, I can't wait to ditch as much of the gear as I can. I just don't get the whole "protection" thing.....again, protection from what? :smiley29:

Protection from stinging jellies.

Some areas have more than others. Or do you make your statement based on having sampled the dive possibilities of every location on earth?

When I've dove in the Caribbean, I've gone with just a wetsuit, too, or perhaps a shorty for a touch of warmth on deeper dives. But there are other places where I wouldn't go into the water wearing less than a full skin or 3mm... and not because I was cold or worried about hitting the coral.

fire diver
03-25-2008, 21:26

I'm lost here. Are you asking a question or baiting for a fight? "protection" is meant as thermal protection. That's why the suits come in so many styles and thicknesses.

Next question?

RoyN
03-26-2008, 03:17
The common thing I see people sometimes getting stung by jellyfish is when the tentacles are on their gloves which sometimes we can't see, they take off their hood and wipe their face with the glove on accident. Otherwise, I keep my distances within photography reach because I don't want to accidently get tangled and injure myself or the jellies. The only time I nearly got stung was a mola mola came up and eat the jellies.

CODMAN
03-26-2008, 06:50
Wether you've personally encountered jellies and other stinging cells, or not... It's a fact that they are out there! I've encountered them. As well as accidentally brushing a fire urchin with my thigh (the 2mm of neoprene took most of the hit!!!!!). So yes, full suits offer protection other than thermal.

Lucky you if you've never encountered anything of the sorts! if you continue diving, it,s probably just a matter of time...

Cheers!:smiley20:

ReefHound
03-26-2008, 08:34
There's also protection from the sun while sitting on the boat or standing on the beach.

NoTime58
03-26-2008, 09:18

Protection from stinging jellies.

Some areas have more than others. Or do you make your statement based on having sampled the dive possibilities of every location on earth?

When I've dove in the Caribbean, I've gone with just a wetsuit, too, or perhaps a shorty for a touch of warmth on deeper dives. But there are other places where I wouldn't go into the water wearing less than a full skin or 3mm... and not because I was cold or worried about hitting the coral.

Diving in Florida last month the Jellies were out in force. Water temps were in the 70 to 75 degree range. I was more than happy wearing my 5mm full suit. Got slammed into the coral by the "surge" on my last dive, thanks to my suit, no scrapes to my skin.

Rockhound76
03-26-2008, 11:09
I know what you mean...my son and I were the only divers we saw on our recent Caribean trip who diving in bathing suits and t-shirts. I saw a couple of divers "just" wearing shorties, the rest were in full 3mm suits, and a couple were in 5mm suits (I saw three or four divers with hoods.)

The water was 79 deg. F. It "hung me up". After four or five dives, I was "cool" at the end of the day, but never uncomfortable.

As for "proctection" from sea critters, the only protection I wanted was a pair of gloves (verbotten down there) for holding on to a mooring line one "ripping" current day. The line was covered, as I would expect, in stinging hydroids. I hung onto a spot I wiped clean. My kid grabbed onto me.

The rest of the time, I saw no need for any protection.

Diving the rigs, I used to wear a "Cajun wetsuit". This was made up of a ragged old nylon jumpsuit which provided a little protection for me if a big 'ol fish were drag me through the superstructure. I sometimes wear that get-up or jeans to dive the jetties, especially when it's rough. That's mostly for entries and exits.

scubasamurai
03-31-2008, 14:26
out in st marteens even the locals wore 3ml shorties. most did the bathing suit dive, but after a couple of dives no irritations from the bc straps and was comfortable too
depends on your style

Smashee
04-13-2008, 00:39
protection suits.

You should try that round North Queensland or the Northern Territory during stinger season. Let me know how that works out for you. :-)

Some places (http://www.marinestingers.com/index.cfm)need stinger protection, some don't.

ChrisC
04-13-2008, 16:31
I've only been diving in colder water. Yesterday, did the first dive of the season in a lake here in NJ. The water was 46 deg. Used a 7mm john/jacket. Haven't had the pleasure of a run in with any stinging creatures while diving; had a couple while swimming at the Jersey shore. Don't relish the thought of a repeat! It seems to me that there are more than enough reasons to dive with a suit, whether coral accidents due to surge, urchins, jellies, or the temperature. Strikes me as just a good idea IMHO.

johnyringo
04-13-2008, 17:50
protection suits.

Just a personal choice for most...I don't get the issue...

RikRaeder
04-13-2008, 19:00
Well, OP did ask why wear body covering in warm water (I paraphrase).

I'm with Compudude on this one. There ARE stinging things out there (I remember when I kissed the box jelly in the Philippines; wrapped my second stage...ouch). Also, depending where you dive there could be other hazards such as rocks, wrecks, etc. In my opinion, just better to be covered (where I dive).

johnyringo
04-13-2008, 19:58
Well, OP did ask why wear body covering in warm water (I paraphrase).

I'm with Compudude on this one. There ARE stinging things out there (I remember when I kissed the box jelly in the Philippines; wrapped my second stage...ouch). Also, depending where you dive there could be other hazards such as rocks, wrecks, etc. In my opinion, just better to be covered (where I dive).

Frankly, I didn't detect even a semblance of a question in the OP's post. I only detected a bit of sarcasm and the flaming of ones personal choice in a "protection suit" and their buoyancy skills, or lack there-of. Or am I reading too much into it?
Kudos to those that have made the choice to add a bit of dignity to an otherwise undignified post. :smiley8:

Daved
04-13-2008, 20:06
Hey Boates--you a diver or perhaps just a fisherman--trolling

Penguino
04-13-2008, 21:09
Also protection from sunburn. Depending on how deep you are (and how clear the water is) you can still be burnt.