08-08-2007, 12:59
They still do certs?

texdiveguy
08-08-2007, 13:03
They still do certs?

http://www.ymcascuba.org/ymcascub/scuba.html

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 13:17
Who knew. I thought the entire YMCA organization was going the way of the Do-Do.

Centerius
08-08-2007, 18:24
Who knew. I thought the entire YMCA organization was going the way of the Do-Do.

Well, I didn't do it through YMCA, but through the course at my university -- I guess they just go through YMCA.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 23:52
I did not know the Y did certs. They still operate a couple of Gyms, and some little league sports around here, I wonder if they do certs locally?

Phestr
08-09-2007, 03:01
And who accepts these certs? I mean, can you go to any dive shop and rent gear with it? Not bashing, I swear, I've just never seen that logo on a rental counter.

Centerius
08-09-2007, 06:29
I did not know the Y did certs. They still operate a couple of Gyms, and some little league sports around here, I wonder if they do certs locally?

Here's a quote from the site:
Not all YMCA Scuba instructors operate at YMCA facilities. Many of them offer courses at colleges and universities, dive shops, or recreational institutions throughout the United States and abroad. YMCA Scuba is always certifying new instructors, so if there is not currently an instructor in your area, you may want to check our listing from time to time. You also may decide to travel outside of your area to attend a certification course.

And who accepts these certs? I mean, can you go to any dive shop and rent gear with it? Not bashing, I swear, I've just never seen that logo on a rental counter.

Everyone should, they have a pretty rigorous course and have high standards.

PlatypusMan
08-09-2007, 08:23

A Long Time Ago, in a Dive Shop Far, Far Away....

I got my BOW with two cards awarded--PADI and International YMCA. No one ever questioned either, but truth be told, I always presented both when renting gear back in the day.

Still have both cards for the nostalgia value. No way that anyone would look at the pics on them now and connect me with that smiling kid in his early twenties. :)

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 21:10
Ok... sorry... got that done.

Centerius
08-18-2007, 22:27
Ok... sorry... got that done.

Woohoo! Thanks Larry.

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 23:24
Wasn't YMCA the bomb years back? How do you deal wit guys that were never certified, but were the dudes that "went before us" back when there WAS no certifying agencies? I'm sure that ther's still guys that exist in the "pre-c-card" world???

terrillja
08-26-2007, 16:29
Wasn't YMCA the bomb years back? How do you deal wit guys that were never certified, but were the dudes that "went before us" back when there WAS no certifying agencies? I'm sure that ther's still guys that exist in the "pre-c-card" world???

My LDS here in Worcester, MA claims that the YMCA requirements are far more complete than the PADI ones. In my opinion, the instructor is more important to you properly learning skills than one program vs another.

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 14:53

My LDS here in Worcester, MA claims that the YMCA requirements are far more complete than the PADI ones. In my opinion, the instructor is more important to you properly learning skills than one program vs another.

They are. YMCA courses are incredibly thorough... and yet far cheaper than your average PADI course. There's advantages to being a non-profit with your own pool. :) I've assisted the classes for PADI and for YMCA, and while part of it is the instructor, the difference is still vast.

Now onto the point of my post: Now that you've added YMCA to the list of agencies, perhaps you could add GUE? :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
10-04-2007, 14:59
No problem.. It's there!

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 15:11
Thanks!