PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Dive Planner Wheel

yankeefan21
03-26-2008, 12:20
So, I decided to take the plunge and just started my Divemaster class last night. One thing I found out was that we are required to own a Dive Planner Wheel. I had honestly never even SEEN one until last night! :smiley36:

Anyway, if any of you have a wheel you don't use mixed in amongst your gear, I'd love to take it off your hands. Please let me know.

Thanks!

CompuDude
03-26-2008, 15:49
I picked mine up on eBay pretty cheaply.

No, strike that, I was about to, but someone popped up selling a used one on ScubaBoard, I think that's where I got mine.

Regardless, used is the way to go if you can.

yankeefan21
03-26-2008, 16:58
Yeah, I've learned to check in with the family here before going anywhere else. Seriously - this is about the best dive community EVER. I absolutely love the fact that users can ask a question and about a dozen people that have "been there - done that" can respond with tips/ideas/suggestions I would have never thought of.

I <3 this place.

navyhmc
03-26-2008, 17:13
One piece of advice: Be very careful when buying one on e-bay. Some of the wheels are not maufactured correctly and are not accurate.

If you've seen the wheel, you know that there are two rotating clear templates that turn on each other. Each of these has a small dot on it fairly close to the center. The back piece has a small circle in the same area near the center. Both of these dot have to be in the center of the circle to be considered to give accurate readings.

If you get one, I would go with a shop. If it's made wrong, you can return it-not always an option with ebay. Also, with time these will turn yellow. Call Scuba Toys, they may have some.

DivingCRNA
03-26-2008, 18:25
I have a spare wheel. I bought one and learned it, then bought a DM crew pack and it had a spare wheel and eRDP. Spare eRDP is unopened and the spare wheel has been used, but only to see if it was calibrated well, and it is.

I will sell you one of each. Just PM me.

We can work a good deal.

yankeefan21
03-27-2008, 07:40
Thanks all. I appreciate the advice.

texdiveguy
03-27-2008, 08:17

No, strike that, I was about to, but someone popped up selling a used one on ScubaBoard, I think that's where I got mine.

LOL...I sold you my used one--! :)

divingchef
03-27-2008, 09:54
Not to promote "the enemy" but leisure pro has "the wheel" and whole lot more for good prices.....

ReefHound
03-27-2008, 10:14
I bought mine from ebay. Like navy said, make sure it passes the calibration test. Different versions of the wheel often yield slightly different results because you are judging whether an arrow pierces a line or not but instructors will usually work with you to make sure you are graded on whether you are using it correctly, not just whether you get the same answer as their wheel gives. White is nice but I wouldn't worry about it being yellowed, chances are you will use the thing during your class and then get rid of it or store it away for good.

CompuDude
03-28-2008, 18:26

LOL...I sold you my used one--! :)

LOL, and thanks again! One of these days I'll sell it again and pass on the karma. :smiley20:

texdiveguy
03-28-2008, 18:32
LOL, and thanks again! One of these days I'll sell it again and pass on the karma. :smiley20:

That sounds like a great plan to me....it will never die!

navyhmc
03-28-2008, 22:15
The problem is that I still use mine-great computer back up.

MicahEW
03-29-2008, 12:52
I think I got something similar with my NAUI Nitrox books its a round wheel that kinda takes the place of a table I never use it thogh. Yet anyway.

yankeefan21
03-31-2008, 13:06
Well if you don't need it, I know someone that could put it to good use! ;)

MicahEW
03-31-2008, 17:52
I can get them cheap like a couple of bucks I can grab one from the LDS if you wish.