PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Largo
03-26-2008, 21:02
Hi! Can anyone recommend an air compressor for filling SCUBA tanks?
I need a small compressor, that runs on 110 or 220 volts.

terrillja
03-26-2008, 21:03
Hi! Can anyone recommend an air compressor for filling SCUBA tanks?
I need a small compressor, that runs on 110 or 220 volts.
Just wondering, any particular reason you want your own compressor?

Bigg_Budd
03-26-2008, 21:04
Heck, I'd love to have my own compressor...

Largo
03-26-2008, 21:27
I'm tired of wasting all of that money on air fills.

At $6 a fill, I could have my own compressor after only 1000 fills.

terrillja
03-26-2008, 21:31

It's not just the initial cost, it's also the filters and electricity to consider.

check this out:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/1989-home-compressor-3.html#post112604

Largo
03-26-2008, 21:39
Thanks for the info.

CompuDude
03-26-2008, 21:53
Yeah, I wish it was that simple, too. It's not. :(

ScubaToys Larry
03-26-2008, 22:18
There is a small one called a Bauer Jr... You're probably looking around 3 grand or so. There are some that go a bit cheaper, but they don't last as long. If you want to get one, call up August Industries August Industries for Bauer Compressors, Davey and Worthington parts and supplies (http://www.augustindustries.com)

Real good people - the folks I get all my compressor parts, filters, oil, etc from.

Now mentioning those things, with a compressor that size, when you factor in the electricity, maintenance, filters and oil... plan on the actual cost of filling to be right around 5 bucks a tank. So a 3G investment to save a buck a fill may not be worthwhile. But if you have a situation where you have a boat, and want to sail around and not have to find shore and a shop to fill... then it might be worthwhile.

jbres1
03-26-2008, 22:37
Well I think I need to revise my costs for the home compressor set up over on Scubaboard.
The 5k was low. I forgot about the 10,000 psi rated pressure gauges, the extra fittings and valves i needed to finish my project.
But on a happy note, I just finnished filling all of the stage bottles, and all of my tanks today. It only took me 17 hours to fill all the tanks and cylinders. So I think I have about 6k tied up in this system, so now i need to do either 1000 air dives or 500 nitrox dives to offset the cost of the set up. I'll look at the o2 bottle rental, the o2, the filters, the oil, and the electric bill as the gas money and time I will save filling my own.
Jim Breslin

mike_s
03-26-2008, 23:32
Just wondering, any particular reason you want your own compressor?

Who wouldn't want their own compressor? (I said want).

Don't forget what a filter setup cost, replacement filters, hoses/lines, installing electrical circuits, electrical usage costs, compressor oil, compressor maintenance, any mixing panels you build, etc.

Find out how hard replacement parts are to get and what costs are. Everyone who's owned a compressor has pretty much had to fix it at some time.

I'm betting that in the long run, even after 1000 fills that it'll cost you more money to buy your compressor over what you save. But still I can't blame you for wanting a compressor.

To be fair in you comparison, you'll run out trips to your LDS for fills. So if your nearest LDS is 100 miles away (200 miles roundtrip) and gas is $3.25/gallon, and you get 22mpg in your vehicle, then going to get fills at your LDS cost you an extra $30 bucks in gas alone, not including other wear and tear and your time...

If you get a compressor, Then all your buddies will want to come over for fills. Remember you don't have any liability insurance either, so if one of them dies diving, not related to your fill, chances are their family will still sue you regardless for some "home brew" fill.

Just things to think about...... (but like I said, we'd all love to own a compressor).

terrillja
03-26-2008, 23:39
Another added cost- air tests. I mean you could go without them, but better to be sure

Largo
03-27-2008, 08:50
I should clarify: The comment about the compressor being cheaper than air fills was intended to be humorous. Sorry, my sense of humor is a little dry.

I teach for an LDS (about 80 miles from home). I am exploring the idea of opening a small annex to their shop that is closer to my home, in order to tap into a new market. So, I would need to either haul tanks to my (as yet to be determined) location, or buy a small compressor. If I bought one, I would probably get it through my LDS, as they would probably be footing the bill, or a portion of it. (I would just do air, since I can get EAN at the LDS).

I just wanted to ask the forum their opinions of the various brands and models of air compressors. (Thanks for the information, Larry!)

Largo
03-27-2008, 09:08
http://www.augustindustries.com/bauer-junior-electric-drive-p-33.html (http://www.augustindustries.com/bauer-junior-electric-drive-p-33.html)

This looks like what I need. It runs on 220V, single phase.

By the way, I already hit up my friend in the local fire department, and he said that the city would not allow them to use their compressors for private citizens.

ScubaToys Larry
03-27-2008, 09:37
I'd also highly suggest you get a few bank bottles that way you can have some air waiting and not have to run that little bauer for too long at a crack. Let it run for a few hours a day filling the banks, then bleed off into the tanks since at just about 3cfm, it would take about a half hour to fill one tank. So if you needed to fill up a bunch... you'd be there a while!

And you may also find some used ones floating about... I've bought several from shops that have gone out of business, and a used - good shape 10 cfm might work better for you - although probably about twice the money. Porter at August Industries gets used ones all the time as he deals with most all the dive shops, paintball fields, and fire departments around here, and lots of times folks are wanting to trade up to bigger and faster units.

Give him a shout and he'll treat you right.

awap
03-27-2008, 09:47
Now mentioning those things, with a compressor that size, when you factor in the electricity, maintenance, filters and oil... plan on the actual cost of filling to be right around 5 bucks a tank. So a 3G investment to save a buck a fill may not be worthwhile. But if you have a situation where you have a boat, and want to sail around and not have to find shore and a shop to fill... then it might be worthwhile.

Larry, does that $5 include capitol investment or only O&M costs?

ScubaToys Larry
03-27-2008, 10:06

Larry, does that $5 include capitol investment or only O&M costs?

It's a ball park figure... not including your start up. Just the actual cost of running a small compressor for the 1/2 hour it takes to fill an 80... based on some figures I saw from Bauer a long time ago. You get into a larger compressor like a 12 cfm, and they are more efficient and require less maintenance and you drop down to about 3 bucks a tank.

cummings66
03-27-2008, 11:14
I've looked at the W31 myself, pretty nice.

However, what I'm going to do is different. My LDS who sells the biggies to dive shops, fire departments, etc is also a Hydro shop and due to the business line he comes across storage bottles. He's got my name on a list so the next time a fire department or whatever upgrades he's going to snag some bottles for me.

He'll fill the big bottle for $20. I'll setup a small bank and haul the bottles over to him for fills as needed. It's easily done due the buildings and such, no back breaking effort needed for those heavy cylinders.

Mine will be used for fills when the dive shop is closed and I need air or a quick top off. I won't use it for fills as long as the dive shop is open to save money. My scuba tanks get free air for life.

That is a deal where you buy the tank and for $50 more you get free air for life. But only that tank.

SHAGGY
04-01-2008, 03:09
We bought one of the Bauer Jr gasoline models a few weeks ago from Porter at August industries, and its definately handy to have because we can take it in our patrol boats or even to remote sites anywhere around the lake because of its size. I would say that our department bought it out of convience more than need for inexpensive air fills because our local fire dept fills our tanks for free, but it would take alot of time to go into town and fill. In my opinion it is not a cost effective option when you figure in cost of the unit, maintance, filters, compressor oil, and either electricity or fuel to run the compressor,... BUT,... if money is not a factor, then it is definately nice to have.

shaggy