PDA

View Full Version : What is it about diving that makes me so happy?

mentalmarine
03-27-2008, 19:58
I love diving, being in the water, cold, warm, fresh or salt. I canít get my wife to understand it at all, I even compared it to shoes and coach purses to no aval. So I want to pose the question to you, what it is about diving that makes you so happy? For me its just the freedom of being underwater in a totally different environment, and the life that you experience there.

Defman
03-27-2008, 19:59
I love diving, being in the water, cold, warm, fresh or salt. I canít get my wife to understand it at all, I even compared it to shoes and coach purses to no aval. So I want to pose the question to you, what it is about diving that makes you so happy? For me its just the freedom of being underwater in a totally different environment, and the life that you experience there.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.....

jphelps9196
03-27-2008, 20:05
I love diving, being in the water, cold, warm, fresh or salt...
...For me its just the freedom of being underwater in a totally different environment, and the life that you experience there.

Couldn't agree more.

I also think that there's something to be said for the fact that cell phones, email, and whining kids don't operate well at 30 ft down.

- J.

UCFKnightDiver
03-27-2008, 20:16
Kingpatzer wrote this in a post awhile back how to describe diving to non divers and I really liked it, acctually it took me awhile to find it lol

"Diving is the most paradoxical activity I can imagine. It's physically demanding and exhausting, while at the same time being effortless and energizing. It's the most social activity I know of, yet it's something you do in complete solitude no matter how big your dive party is. It's profoundly spiritual and deep in technical details. It is a demanding, skill intensive activity that anyone can do with ease. People either love it or hate it, no one, after doing it more than once, is indifferent to it. An hour diving is a timeless encounter with something transcendent."

My response:

Also to add its the feeling of weightlessnes and relaxation that comes from it, while being extremely exciting at the same time...things you can see that you know only a select group of people can ever expirience is just absolutely thrilling to me and the element of suprise at finding somethig new. The absolute beauty of being in the underwater world....etc

pyre24
03-27-2008, 21:00
The peace, and the feeling of being allowed into another world

scubasamurai
03-27-2008, 21:15
just the awe of being someplace that you can not physically survive, and wonder "whats up with that"?

Beaucoupfishies
03-27-2008, 21:48
Things that hurt on land don't hurt when you're floating, and you get to completely forget about everything else going on and just live in the moment (till your air is out).

hoobascooba
03-27-2008, 23:16
I love diving, being in the water, cold, warm, fresh or salt. I can’t get my wife to understand it at all, I even compared it to shoes and coach purses to no aval. So I want to pose the question to you, what it is about diving that makes you so happy? For me its just the freedom of being underwater in a totally different environment, and the life that you experience there.

no, that's not all... there's a totally different aspect of his post which you overlooked.

He said he "can't get my [his] wife to understand it all".

It's simple. When you have a spouse like this (husband or wife) ask him/her this: Can you be quiet for longer than 5 minutes? Yes or No?

and i think you know where i'm goin with this...

but yeah, other than that you pretty much described why diving makes me happy, except I don't care that my wife won't dive! heehee

mentalmarine
03-28-2008, 08:33
Kingpatzer wrote this in a post awhile back how to describe diving to non divers and I really liked it, acctually it took me awhile to find it lol

"Diving is the most paradoxical activity I can imagine. It's physically demanding and exhausting, while at the same time being effortless and energizing. It's the most social activity I know of, yet it's something you do in complete solitude no matter how big your dive party is. It's profoundly spiritual and deep in technical details. It is a demanding, skill intensive activity that anyone can do with ease. People either love it or hate it, no one, after doing it more than once, is indifferent to it. An hour diving is a timeless encounter with something transcendent."

My response:

Also to add its the feeling of weightlessnes and relaxation that comes from it, while being extremely exciting at the same time...things you can see that you know only a select group of people can ever expirience is just absolutely thrilling to me and the element of suprise at finding somethig new. The absolute beauty of being in the underwater world....etc

I really like this discription of diving a lot!

no, that's not all... there's a totally different aspect of his post which you overlooked.

He said he "can't get my [his] wife to understand it all".

It's simple. When you have a spouse like this (husband or wife) ask him/her this: Can you be quiet for longer than 5 minutes? Yes or No?

and i think you know where i'm goin with this...

but yeah, other than that you pretty much described why diving makes me happy, except I don't care that my wife won't dive! heehee

lol, I havnt pushed the wife to dive and if she does dive she wont get any noise makers :) jk. I like all of the responses so far, it helps in trying to describe diving to others who have never experienced it. Its unlike any sport/hobby that I can think of. I would like it if my wife would dive but thats up to her. I want her to do it for the same reason I wanted to, not just to do it because I want her to....hrmmm does that make any sense?
Well thats another thread in itself, or book.

LCF
03-28-2008, 20:19
I'm convinced nitrogen is a drug, and hits the dopamine (pleasure) circuitry. I get positively depressed and ill-tempered if I've been dry for too long.

Garrobo
03-29-2008, 08:46
What I like most about diving is the stuff posted before plus since we originally came from the sea, despite what the bible-thumpers believe, it gives me a feeling of going home. Plus the edgy feeling that at any one time I am about two lungs full away from death.

Athena2c
03-29-2008, 09:22
Hmm..well I love shoes and Coach purses, but they really can't be compared to diving :smiley2:

My husband calls it his Zen or meditation.
For me, it is being able to experience something totally new and unlike the crazy 'real world' I have to live in every day. It relaxes me and pumps me up with positive energy at the same time!

plot
03-29-2008, 10:33
you're getting narc'd

divingchef
03-29-2008, 10:56
I'm convinced nitrogen is a drug, and hits the dopamine (pleasure) circuitry. I get positively depressed and ill-tempered if I've been dry for too long.

There may be something to that.....maybe its like eating chiles.....when you comsume chiles, your body sees it as an "attack" or an injury to your body, then it releases its endorphins, which gives a feeeling of euphoria.....maybe he body has the same reaction to increased nitrogen levels? Maybe the pressure change encourages endorphin release......I will agree that even after 4 dives a day on multiple days, I still have the "diver's high" when I get out of the water....every tank is a new tank......

Garrobo
03-29-2008, 11:29
Yeah and it's a lot easier on you than speed.

plot
03-29-2008, 11:49
and yet somehow... speed is probably a cheaper habit

mentalmarine
03-29-2008, 11:53
Hmm..well I love shoes and Coach purses, but they really can't be compared to diving :smiley2:

My husband calls it his Zen or meditation.
For me, it is being able to experience something totally new and unlike the crazy 'real world' I have to live in every day. It relaxes me and pumps me up with positive energy at the same time!

Ill have to mention that to Jill!!! :smiley20:

johnyringo
03-29-2008, 17:17
and yet somehow... speed is probably a cheaper habit

Not in the long run...

mksmith713
02-25-2009, 14:21
Peace, silence, being at one with nature.
Some of the things I see underwater make me freakin' giddy to the point where I giggle to myself.
Feels kinda funny with a reg in my mouth.

TRACI
02-25-2009, 14:40
It is the amazing things I see. Diving kind of makes me feel alot more humble. But I guess being on the food chain kind of does that.............

gNats
02-25-2009, 14:43
For me, water is a huge part of my soul. I speaks to me and I listen.

My mother said I have been this way since childhood.

Some say it is because I am a Cancerian, and my birth sign pulls me to its natural state.

When I am stressed, lonely, afraid (you name it) a quick drive along the lake soothes me. When its really bad, I sit on its banks and look and listen.

Before diving, I would lay on rafts and feel the water pulsating beneath me and drift to sleep. I wasn't sunbathing, I was getting as close to the water as I could. It was transcending.

Now that I am diving, being in the water at 20 feet or more brings me to pure harmony with the world around me.

So, when people ask me why I dive or why I would dive in a boring quarry, or during the winter, or at every possible opportunity, I simply say,

Because I have to.

CompuDude
02-25-2009, 14:52

My response:

Well said, the both of you!

(yes, I realize this is an old post)

Btw, Rox, do you have the link to the original post? I may actually want to steal that for a sigline.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it...

emt
02-25-2009, 20:52
I'm more in diving for the excitement, the Unknown of what's around the next corner. There is always something new on every dive.
It's never boring (I do not like boring, slow sports- I gave up fresh water fishing years ago as I did not get enough action to keep me entertained). I like to stay on the go. Things are always moving and changing in the ocean.
I also enjoy the excitement of the hunt for the next big fish/lobster for the table for dinner (I can't stand waiting in a tree etc. for hours for my prey to come to me - I much prefer actively searching for it).
And when the day's over it's a good feeling when you know you got a good exercise work out. Sleep comes easy after a good dive trip.

WaScubaDude
02-26-2009, 00:00
I was supposed to go diving last Sunday but my DB had to work. My wife and I decided to go for a walk on the "board walk" on Alki that goes right past the area that my DB and I were planning on diving.

As I stood there looking into the mirage of shimmering ripples, I got it.

I love to dive because I get to SLIP THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS!

An entire other world is just feet away from this earthly world. As I stood there I could see ghostly images as the waves rolled gently. Whispers of possibilities. Others see this too, but I get to slip right in.

I get to loose myself in this OTHER world. Quiet, weightless and so totally different. An hour long amazing adventure. Like a wonderful dream, when ever I please. Smiles that last all day & the intrigue of what will come next.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
02-26-2009, 00:26
For me it's the bubbles.

Anyway, I think the 'Under the Sea' song from the Little Mermaid sums it up quite nicely.

Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea

The Little Mermaid Lyrics, Under The Sea Lyrics >> (http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/classicdisney/underthesea.htm)

firstdive2005
02-26-2009, 01:08
On my first dive ever, my friend had me kneel in 10ft of water at Anse Chastenet. At the three minute mark I realized I should be dead-I was reborn.

CamaroChick
02-26-2009, 10:45
I love the sounds underwater - very quiet but still always something to hear. I also love being a spectator to a whole other world that most people never see or think about. Heaven!! :smiley27:

Queen
02-26-2009, 10:54

Some say it is because I am a Cancerian, and my birth sign pulls me to its natural state.

When I am stressed, lonely, afraid (you name it) a quick drive along the lake soothes me. When its really bad, I sit on its banks and look and listen.

Before diving, I would lay on rafts and feel the water pulsating beneath me and drift to sleep. I wasn't sunbathing, I was getting as close to the water as I could. It was transcending.

Now that I am diving, being in the water at 20 feet or more brings me to pure harmony with the world around me.

So, when people ask me why I dive or why I would dive in a boring quarry, or during the winter, or at every possible opportunity, I simply say,

Because I have to.

Beautifully said. :smiley32:

For me, I was born on Cape Cod and lived in a little beach cottage, I learned to swim before I could walk. Water has always been my refuge, I'm more comfortable in it than on land. Diving simply allowed me to go further into refuge.

gNats
02-26-2009, 11:06
Beautifully said. :smiley32:

For me, I was born on Cape Cod and lived in a little beach cottage, I learned to swim before I could walk. Water has always been my refuge, I'm more comfortable in it than on land. Diving simply allowed me to go further into refuge.

Here's a funny story... I have never had a fear of water. As far as water was concerned, I was invinsible. I thought nothing about sailing in foul weather under race conditions without a PFD. I have jumped out of boats into 5+ river currents. No fear of the large open ocean. We had a cottage on a lake - I was driving the family boats at 10 and 12 yrs of age and slolum waterskiing at 14.

Since learning how to breathe underwater, I have had a greater respect for water than ever before. When I put on my gear, and stand before a giant stride entry, I am actually apprehensive for the first time in my life of entering the water.

Not crazy apprehensive, but I take it very seriously.

After a few glasses of wine one night, I allowed myself to noodle this over and I came to a conclusion. Which, I will share with you at the Spring M&G over a few evening adult beverages!

Queen
02-26-2009, 11:07
After a few glasses of wine one night, I allowed myself to noodle this over and I came to a conclusion. Which, I will share with you at the Spring M&G over a few evening adult beverages!

I look forward to it. :smiley20:

digitalman
02-26-2009, 12:30
I love the sounds underwater - very quiet but still always something to hear. I also love being a spectator to a whole other world that most people never see or think about. Heaven!! :smiley27:

I too like the quiet aspect of it. For 40 minutes or so at a time, the world slows down and works at my pace.

dmdoss
02-26-2009, 20:57
to be away from the other 99% of people

USF_Diver
02-26-2009, 21:26
I agree like others have said to get away from people and also the regular life problems are left at the surface.

Its as close to going to another world without leaving this world.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
02-26-2009, 21:56
I notice from these responses that many dive to escape the world, while others dive to get closer to it.

Skred
02-26-2009, 22:05
It puts my life in perspective. Every time...

Diver Kat
02-26-2009, 22:56
I was a water baby growing up in New England, so always loved being in, on or around water. I have always been a high stress kind of person, but being around any kind of water has a calming effect. I wasn't sure about learning to dive, but all it took was the first day sitting in 8 feet of water at the bottom of a pool in the pouring rain and I was a goner. It probably sounds sappy, and I'm not real religious, but the one thing that comes to mind when I try to explain the feeling to non-divers is it's a Zen thing. It's meditative, it's spiritual, it's other worldly, yet it bonds me to others. It gets stronger with each dive I make.

Zen asserts that all sentient beings have Buddha-nature, the universal nature of inherent wisdom and virtue, and emphasizes that Buddha-nature is nothing other than the nature of the mind itself. The aim of Zen practice is to discover this Buddha-nature within each person, through meditation and mindfulness of daily experiences. Zen practitioners believe that this provides new perspectives and insights on existence, which ultimately lead to enlightenment.

Grizbear98
02-27-2009, 00:24
I've always loved the ocean, and when I went to college my marine biology program director got me into diving. I love the thrill of it, plus I really love fish, and now I can get close to them and see how they interact with their natural environment.

mtnplayva
02-27-2009, 14:46

Because I have to.
This is exactly how I feel. My daughter died diving and being underwater is really the only place I feel totally relaxed and close to her. Most people don't understand it. I've also been told it is because I am a Cancer - who knows but I do know that I have to be in the water.

divinginn
02-27-2009, 16:00
I still think it is the gases effect on the body,but I always feel like I took a Valium after diving. Just being around the water always has a tranquil effect on me,I also grew up on the water on the gulf coast of Florida.

CompuDude
02-27-2009, 16:47
I notice from these responses that many dive to escape the world, while others dive to get closer to it.

In an odd way, though, the reality is that you're doing BOTH at the same time.

Back to that paradox. :smiley20: