PDA

View Full Version : Lake Maxinkuckee Culver IN

BuzzF117
03-29-2008, 10:03
Anybody have any experience or suggestions about this lake. I know it's huge which makes it even more attractive to diving it. I have heard that there are a few small steam ships sunken at the bottom of this lake. I have considered contacting the Culver Military Academy and see if they have any info on dive sites on the lake.

later
Buzz

BuzzF117
08-07-2008, 17:52
any help on this lake would be cool!!

bobcoop06
01-18-2009, 00:47
I've lived by this lake my whole life. I'm always looking for someone to dive with if you wanna come by sometime!

It's nothing too spectacular however, just big. There is a small single engine plane, an old steam ship and several small boats at the bottom. And also at least one snowmobile! And a brand new Winchester 12 ga. shotgun. If you find it, please return it to our fire chief!

The deepest hole is around 93 ft., and that is near the Academy. The middle of the lake is in the 70-90 ft. range. Gravely bottom, with moderate clarity, depends on where you go and when. In the winter, the lake is crystal clear.

If you really want good advice on this lake, contact JR Aquatics in Niles. They teach dive classes in Culver every summer and have dived this lake for years. They know where everything is located and all the good spots to go to. Good luck!

snagel
01-18-2009, 05:50
Never heard of this lake, I'll have to do some research. Any more information would be great.

jbres1
01-18-2009, 10:46
I would love to dive this lake next summer.
Let me know when and where to be there.

Jim Breslin

bobcoop06
01-18-2009, 13:18
For a little more info, and other attractions in the area, check this site...

Maxinkuckee.com - Your resource for Lake Maxinkuckee and Culver, Indiana information (http://www.maxinkuckee.com/)

BuzzF117
01-19-2009, 07:57
I've lived by this lake my whole life. I'm always looking for someone to dive with if you wanna come by sometime!

It's nothing too spectacular however, just big. There is a small single engine plane, an old steam ship and several small boats at the bottom. And also at least one snowmobile! And a brand new Winchester 12 ga. shotgun. If you find it, please return it to our fire chief!

The deepest hole is around 93 ft., and that is near the Academy. The middle of the lake is in the 70-90 ft. range. Gravely bottom, with moderate clarity, depends on where you go and when. In the winter, the lake is crystal clear.

If you really want good advice on this lake, contact JR Aquatics in Niles. They teach dive classes in Culver every summer and have dived this lake for years. They know where everything is located and all the good spots to go to. Good luck!

I may take you up on this spring since I don't have a drysuit to dive this winter but would love to try it. I had heard about the items you listed at the bottom thats what intriged me.

BuzzF117
01-19-2009, 08:00
It would be cool if you could get the GPS coordinates for the wrecks you listed.

kjvander
01-26-2009, 18:06
cool....another dive site to hit up around Indiana....have to keep this one in the books...

BuzzF117
01-26-2009, 19:43
cool....another dive site to hit up around Indiana....have to keep this one in the books...

Your not to far from Culver it's just a little southeast of you.

kjvander
01-27-2009, 07:07
cool thanks.....

terfmop
02-03-2009, 22:41
Another Indiana site is always welcome. But from Terre Haute, Mapquest revels 194 miles...which is about the same as to Mermet....might be mileage prohibitive, unless it turns out to be a really good spot. I'll look for upcoming reviews

I wish more of the limestone quarries in southern IN would open up to divers.

digitalman
02-23-2009, 23:54
I've been boating on Maxinkuckee and considered going for a dive, but never had my gear. Maybe next time I'm in the area, I'll try to meet up with some of you locals as I'm about 3 hrs west of there.

Scuba Pete
07-08-2010, 10:05
Sorry for digging up such an old post, but has anyone dove here recently? Also does anyone know of any lakes or quarries in central to northern Indiana that are divable besides the normal ones?

BuzzF117
07-13-2010, 08:41
One of the dive buddies dove the lake in spring and they found the airplane it isn't two far from the Academy. They said viz was a little shady but still a good dive