PDA

View Full Version : Farm Pond Diving?

frogman159
03-29-2008, 20:41
I have routine access to a man made farm pond I think will be great to practice skills in, I could dive this everyday if I want. Its about 1/2 acre in diameter and 25-30 ft deep with a sand bottom, stocked with Bass and Bluegill and several 4+ft Koi.

My only concern is, my in-laws put dye in..which is nice cause this eliminates any vegetation, however I'm afraid of the effect on visibility and wonder if this is divable? Would bringing a light help?
Any words of advice are appreciated.

FyVe
03-29-2008, 20:43
4 foot koi?

frogman159
03-29-2008, 20:43
Just to elaborate on the dye, Its like a blue color but not real dense, it doesn't rub off on your skin or anything. In fact, if you took a glass of water out of the pond, you wouldn't even be able to tell there was anything in it, the water would look clear....However the cumulative effect gives the pond an over slight blue color.

frogman159
03-29-2008, 20:45
4 foot koi?

Yeah dude they are f'ing huge....They've got them in Orange, Yellow, Blue

"A large female Koi can reach over a metre and at the All Japan show these days a Koi needs to be there or thereabouts to stand a chance. At these lengths, the mass is around 12 kg, but personally I think it's closer to 20 kg looking at some of these small floating red and white 'whales'..."

koi ponds How large do big Koi grow female koi koi needs koi food size possible growth small koi's significant healthy females (http://www.happykoi.co.za/1.%20all%20about%20koi%20and%20koi%20keeping/how_large_do_koi_grow.htm)

WV Diver
03-29-2008, 20:46
Snorkel it and see.

scubasamurai
03-29-2008, 20:54
Snorkel it and see.

right on, i was going to suggest to take a swim with your mask and dive under

WV Diver
03-29-2008, 20:55
Might want to do it with a white t-shirt to see if there is a potential dye problem for your gear.

ChrisA
03-29-2008, 21:00
I have routine access to a man made farm pond I think will be great to practice skills in, I could dive this everyday if I want. Its about 1/2 acre in diameter and 25-30 ft deep with a sand bottom, stocked with Bass and Bluegill and several 4+ft Koi.

My only concern is, my in-laws put dye in..which is nice cause this eliminates any vegetation, however I'm afraid of the effect on visibility and wonder if this is divable? Would bringing a light help?

You inland divers must be desperate for water to dive in. I live a mile from the Pacific Ocean but I haven't been able to dive in weeks conditions have not allowed it. The pond is sounding like fun

If fish can live in the water it is not going to harm you. Poor water quality kills fish. Might be fun to take a zip lock bag of frozen peas. Koi are easy to train.

WV Diver
03-29-2008, 21:02
Might want to take a spear gun too. :smiley32::smilie39:

WV Diver
03-29-2008, 21:07
On a serious note, if it is a true farm pond with cattle or other herd animals on it I would think there could be health concerns in diving in all that animal feces coming into the pond via runoff.

However if it is clean it does sound like fun. I personally have never seen or heard of a farm pond with a sand bottom. Most would silt out just getting into them from the shore.

cummings66
03-29-2008, 21:09
I haven't seen a farm pond with sand for the bottom, but if it has that I'd be willing to bet there's a few feet of vis compared to 0 vis for a normal farm pond. I wouldn't abuse my dive gear in one of those, mud up to your neck and all kinds of crud to stick. Leeches everywhere, horrible stink. However, sand does tend to make those things a non issue.

Good luck, try it and see. Be careful and if you've got a buddy take him. Farm ponds can be very dangerous, lots of things have been tossed into them and they're sometimes full of snags.

frogman159
03-29-2008, 21:09
You inland divers must be desperate for water to dive in.

Sometimes I think about suiting up in the bathtub

If fish can live in the water it is not going to harm you. Poor water quality kills fish.
I was more concerned about low vis..I've never really dove in visability less than ~30ft

Might be fun to take a zip lock bag of frozen peas. Koi are easy to train.

Yeah, they hand feed them with this stuff that looks like small dog food pellets, when they throw it in the water, these mosters swim by with thier mouths open and just cruise the surface with thier heads out sucking up the food like a vaccum

cummings66
03-29-2008, 21:11
As to the safety hazzards from animal waste and farm run off, that's why I'd use my rubber Viking drysuit with a FFM. Nothing and I repeat nothing would get past it, hose down before removing anything and you're good to go. Could even use chemicals to clean you off if really needed.

frogman159
03-29-2008, 21:14
I haven't seen a farm pond with sand for the bottom, but if it has that I'd be willing to bet there's a few feet of vis compared to 0 vis for a normal farm pond. I wouldn't abuse my dive gear in one of those, mud up to your neck and all kinds of crud to stick. Leeches everywhere, horrible stink. However, sand does tend to make those things a non issue.

Good luck, try it and see. Be careful and if you've got a buddy take him. Farm ponds can be very dangerous, lots of things have been tossed into them and they're sometimes full of snags.

Yeah they put in a "beach" on the one side $1500 of sand, but when they graded the land, the contractor screwed up and when it rained all the sand went into the drink, the contractor replaced it and it happened again...They got it right the third time

The buddy is a given

tndiverdude
03-29-2008, 21:41
yes we inlanders need water. We ahve been consideringa pool and setting it up with all kinds of stuff. Having acreage to build a dive pool is a wonderful benefit.

From what I ahve seen that dye is should not have effect, since its not particulate, like dirt mud or other debris.
I like the idea of a T shirt and sniorkel dive to test the waters.

maverick
03-30-2008, 19:00
Grass carp will clean up the vegitation. There is a pond on this property and grass carp keep vegitation under control. Got a mud bottom here so vis is zero.

MicahEW
03-31-2008, 17:40

You inland divers must be desperate for water to dive in. I live a mile from the Pacific Ocean but I haven't been able to dive in weeks conditions have not allowed it. The pond is sounding like fun

If fish can live in the water it is not going to harm you. Poor water quality kills fish. Might be fun to take a zip lock bag of frozen peas. Koi are easy to train.

hey when you are landlocked you take what you can get lol. Peas? what you gonna do teach them like flipper lol?

CowboyFan&Diver
05-30-2008, 13:33
I'm thinking about diving in a man made pond.... It has a fountain in the middle (just for looks)....clay bottom, MAX depth of 35'....lots of fish and turtles, little vegetation.

Geoff_T
05-30-2008, 15:47
I would think that pestacide and feces should be less of a concern with a farm pond. These are usualy built on a hill with some elivation so as to use gravity to irrigate the farm. Therefor most of this stuff will flow away from the pond. Seccond as a lot of these on working farms are used for a watter source it is in the farmers best intrest to keep them clean lest they poison their stock or crops. I actualy asked a farmer friend about this once. Though I have seen a few farm ponds that were built on the low land but those seem to end up kind of nasty.

However if this one will support koi than it should be fine. They would be poisoned and die if there was a high chemical concentration.