PDA

View Full Version : Considering the purchase of an Oceanic VEO 180

harb99
07-10-2007, 13:32
I do not have any other equipment other than the basics (mask/fins), but would like to have my own computer for an upcoming dive trip. I have been looking at this one:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=VEO180

Any kind of input (pros/cons) would be appreciated. I am on a budget and could use this as a potential backup down the road when I purchase a full reg set.

Thanks in advance.

Harb

mwhities
07-10-2007, 13:38
Never used it but, from reading the description, I think it would be a great purchase. Nitrox from 21% to 40%. Not sure if you are EAN certified but, the computer will help you out for a longer dive using it. (If you are't Nitrox certified and you plan not to, I'd suggest getting an air only computer... then, if you think later on that you will get nitrox certified (I recommend doing so), get this computer.)

Michael

harb99
07-10-2007, 13:43
I am considering getting Nitrox certified and was going to before the trip, but finances and time are tight right now. Thats one of the features I liked about it - it seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

I looked into just buying one of the Citizen Aqualand watches to use as a dive computer (air only) for around $300 or so, but this computer gives you everything the watch had plus the advantage of Nitrox.

mwhities
07-10-2007, 14:08
... and there is your answer. ;)

If you don't get certified for EAN now, at least when you do, you don't have to spend ANOTHER 300+ for a computer that support Nitrox. :)

Michael

Wolfie2012
07-10-2007, 14:38
You can't go wrong with the Veo 180 for a first computer. It should last you quite awhile while you increase your training.
<DIV>The only thing that some people have issues with is that the algorithm that Oceanic &amp; Aeris computers use is a liberal one. This means that you'll get more bottom time within the no-deco limit. This also means that it doesn't give you the added safety net that some computers that are more conservative give. Personally I prefer the more liberal computers and own both Aeris and Oceanic computers. I don't feel they're inherently any more or less safe. You as a diver are really the only one who can determine what safety limits you wantto impose on yourself.</DIV>

paulwall
07-10-2007, 15:30
I have been diving with an Aeris Atmos 2, which I bought used, in a console.
I then picked up the Veo 180, after I sold my backup computer (Suunto Mosquito). I very much like the display of the Veo 180, big easy-to-read numbers. I haven't read the manual yet (as it is very similar to the Aeris I am familiar with), but it seems very intuitive (But, I suggest you read the manual, if this is your first computer). You can't beat the price from ST, anyway.

I prefer the liberal Algorithm, as opposed to the SUUNTO. After all, you don't have to ride the computer's times. You can build in your own conservatism. Try to be more liberal than the other guy's conservative model, you'll end up violated! (pun intended).

harb99
07-10-2007, 16:14
Thanks everyone for the replies - looks like I was headed in the right direction with the Veo 180. Will probably pull the trigger on it in a few days.

The only thing it doesnt seem to have that would be nice is a way to d/l the dives to a computer, but for the money, I can look past that.

Harb

paulwall
07-10-2007, 16:17
Fear not,

ST doesn't list everything they carry on their website

http://www.amazon.com/Oceanic-Cable-Versa-Plus-connection/dp/B0000X95FS

I'm sure they could get this for you, though

One other place:

This one, too.

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/OCNPCUSB.html

harb99
07-10-2007, 16:25
Thats cool - its not even listed as being able to download the dives from it. Added bonus I guess - I will ask about the cable when I order the computer.

Thanks for the headsup Paul

Harb

Wolfie2012
07-10-2007, 16:30
You can get some detailed specs on the oceanic website that will list all the features and capabilities :)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo180.html</DIV>

paulwall
07-10-2007, 16:39
Thats cool - its not even listed as being able to download the dives from it. Added bonus I guess - I will ask about the cable when I order the computer.

Thanks for the headsup Paul

Harb

Well, gee. It only holds 24 dives. that won't even last a week in Aruba or Bonaire!

harb99
07-10-2007, 16:55
Well, gee. It only holds 24 dives. that won't even last a week in Aruba or Bonaire!

Fine print from Oceanic's web site

**Oceanic Personal Dive Computers have user selectable Sampling Rates
that determine when data is sampled and stored for subsequent download
to associated PC interface programs. More frequent sampling provides
more data per dive yet results in storage of fewer dives for download.
Use with Air or Nitrox, with or without air integration, dive profiles,
and other variables also effect the number of dives that can be stored.
Although as many as 150 dives might be stored for consistent 60 foot
dives with the Sampling Rate set for a 10 foot rate, as few as 3 may be
stored when the profiles fluctuate and the sampling rate is set for a 2
second rate.

Looks like you can change the settings and store more dives - oh well - 24 is plenty for now. Just planning on a trip to the Keys with 3 to 5 mornings worth of diving.

Thanks again for all the input everyone.

Harb

paulwall
07-10-2007, 17:03
From the Veo 180 specs:

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo180_specs.html

<table border="1" width="410"><t><tr><td ="#cccccc"><div align="left">High O2 Alarm / Warning </span></div></td>
<td ="#cccccc"><div align="center">300 SOTU / DOTU </span></div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="left">High PO2 Alarm / Warning </span></div></td>
<td><div align="center">1.6 DEFAULT OR USER SETTING </span></div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td ="#cccccc"><div align="left">On-Unit Log Capacity </span></div></td>
<td ="#cccccc"><div align="center">24 DIVES </span></div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><div align="left">OceanLog PC Download </span></div></td>
<td><div align="center">OPTIONAL</span></div></td></tr></t></table>Hey, that's fine for the price. My first computer (Sherwood Sigma II) only kept 1 dive! It cost $500!

Wolfie2012
07-10-2007, 17:07
In my opinion the ability to keep24 dives on the computer itself should be plenty, especially if you're planning on getting the download cable to download your dive profiles to a PC.

crls
07-10-2007, 18:30
I do not have any other equipment other than the basics (mask/fins), but would like to have my own computer for an upcoming dive trip. I have been looking at this one:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=VEO180

Any kind of input (pros/cons) would be appreciated. I am on a budget and could use this as a potential backup down the road when I purchase a full reg set.

Thanks in advance.

Harb

<DIV>
Should you considered buy a computer?
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
See this: http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25631

First of all, do a research of the market and (view the recall computers!):

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">What type of algorithm accommodates your diving style (e.g. Neo Haldane, VPM, RGBM, etc)?[/B]

For example:

Haldane/Spencer Algorithm
· Oceanic, Aeris, Genesis, etc.
Reduced Gradient Bubble Algorithm
· Suunto
· Explorer
Buehlmann ZH-L8
· UWATEC
Modified Haldanian Algorithm
· VR3 DELTA P
· Cochran
· Nitek
VPM
· VR3 DELTA P
· Liquivision X1

Second, spend your money in a computer that can grow with you, like Cochran EMC-16 or EMC-20H

And in my judgment GET FIRST the regulator, BCD, etc, before a dive computer!!!!!!</DIV>

paulwall
07-10-2007, 18:39
Hmm. $200 vs $550 (or $875).

Not everybody needs a gee-whiz super gizmo fresh out of training. IMO, he's doing his research, and asked a question about a specific computer, and people's experience with said computer which your post did not address.

Should he buy a regulator/bc without first diving various brands? The wrist computer will be much easier to travel with than a full kit, which he may not like. Perhaps he posted questions about a bc/reg in the appropriate forum, which is NOT this one.

Besides, the post on the other forum talks about deco planning and putting the computer in gauge mode. If that's the point, I'd rather save the extra money if all I need is a depth gauge.

Sheesh. TDS Troll

crls
07-10-2007, 19:25
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">The other forum: if an advance diver asks about the use of a computer reflects the fact that is ideal acquire a computer with more experience, <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">and he could expend his/her money in getting other necessary rig.[/B]<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/I]
Don’t get upset…http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif

rktman26
07-10-2007, 20:34
I'm glad this came up! I'm also looking at the VEO 180. I'm a new
diver, and looking to get a simple computer that will serve me as I
gain experience, while I don't need one that will assist in the
launching of nuclear weapons.

I'm pretty sure the VEO 180 will fit that bill.

loudgonzo
07-11-2007, 07:35
I've also looked into this comp. definitely a great price, but I'm going to hold out to get one with more bells and whistles...

creggur
07-11-2007, 07:53
This is the computer that I've settled on... You just can't beat the ST price on this thing... I'm glad to here some positive input on it. It just seemed like a nice first nitrox computer for the price...

harb99
07-11-2007, 08:20
And in my judgment GET FIRST the regulator, BCD, etc, before a dive computer!!!!!!</font>

This is probably true, but at this point in my diving career I am not ready to spend $1000 to $1500 for a complete set of equipment. Prior to June, I had 11 logged dives in 13 years (had few non logged as well), but with my wife getting certified, I have now doubled that in a month with 2 weekends of diving.

The reason I am looking to purchase a computer prior to regulator, BDC, etc. is that I am not willing to buy just to be buying - We are going to the Keys in August on our first "diving" vacation (picked the location due to diving available) and renting equipment down there is very reasonable - plus it gives us the opportunity to try different equipment out from what the local dive shop was renting to us. Everyone says to try stuff out prior to purchasing and that is kinda what we are looking to do. I felt a computer was needed to keep track of our dives and did not want to rent one as I would spend roughly $50 to $60 doing so and that is 1/3 of what the Veo 180 costs.

So - now that I have a long winded post - I appreciate the input from everyone and I still think I am going to pull the trigger on a Veo 180 purchase from ST's as a more advanced one is not needed by me or the SO at this time.

Harb

Wolfie2012
07-11-2007, 09:36
So - now that I have a long winded post - I appreciate the input from everyone and I still think I am going to pull the trigger on a Veo 180 purchase from ST's as a more advanced one is not needed by me or the SO at this time.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Great choice, regardless of what that one individual said. In my opinion a computer is an excellent first piece of equipment. It's typically small so it won't inconvenience your travel luggage to the point that other items may. It assists with your logging and the lengthy countdown timers could be a hassle on rental computers if for some reason you are not able to rent the same exact unit every day of your dive week. Others of coursehave different opinions. I'm sure you'll love the VEO180 :)</DIV>

jacewindu
07-11-2007, 12:02
This will probably be my first computer purchase also. I think the 180 is perfect. I've used the 100 and it's been great, but I'd like the 180 for Nitrox (when I get certified)

Also... I can't understand why people love audible alarms... If you need a beep to tell you that you've been under too long, you're just being lazy and not checking the computer enough.

rktman26
07-11-2007, 21:33
We can install the nuclear weapons mod at our shop...
but it's an extra $3,456,988.76 - not including the cable.smileys/smiley2.gif

That's a little outside of my price range. I think I'll stick with the
base model, and maybe upgrade to the nuclear capable model when my
budget allows.

the gooch
07-11-2007, 23:54
We can install the nuclear weapons mod at our shop... but it's an extra $3,456,988.76 - not including the cable.smileys/smiley2.gif
And it's the cable where they get ya.smileys/smiley36.gif

paulwall
07-12-2007, 07:38

<div></div>
<div>Great choice, regardless of what that one individual said. In my opinion a computer is an excellent first piece of equipment. It's typically small so it won't inconvenience your travel luggage to the point that other items may. It assists with your logging and the lengthy countdown timers could be a hassle on rental computers if for some reason you are not able to rent the same exact unit every day of your dive week. Others of coursehave different opinions. I'm sure you'll love the VEO180 :)</div>

Check out Joe's response to my post here:

http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125

They now list the Oceanic cable, $50, if you buy the computer from them

jpsexton
07-12-2007, 08:56
I'm also pretty close to settling on this computer. I have been using an XR1 that I got here at ST. I recently got Nitrox certified and trying to decide on a new computer. I like the simplicity of this one, very similar to my XR1 in function.

boat
07-12-2007, 11:30
Isn't there currently an XR-1 Nx on the market too? I'd bet ST could get that for you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just had to pitch one comment in here: I think you'll appreciate buying a simple computer now rather than renting (possibly) different models. Being familiar with YOUR computer is less stressful,in my opinion.</DIV>

Wolfie2012
07-12-2007, 17:33
Isn't there currently an XR-1 Nx on the market too? I'd bet ST could get that for you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just had to pitch one comment in here: I think you'll appreciate buying a simple computer now rather than renting (possibly) different models. Being familiar with YOUR computer is less stressful,in my opinion.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yeah, and there's also the XR-2 which is nitrox capable. Actually I'm not exactly sure the differences now between the XR-1 Nx and the XR-2. They must be very similar.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 19:20
for anyone that owns the 180 - is there a way to turn off the audible alarm?

i know you can hit the button once it starts to shut it up, but is there a way to turn it off completely?

paulwall
07-12-2007, 21:21
for anyone that owns the 180 - is there a way to turn off the audible alarm?

i know you can hit the button once it starts to shut it up, but is there a way to turn it off completely?

Not according to the manual.

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 21:54
you mean nobody has explored the guts of the computer? haha, jk, thanks for the response

Vercingetorix
07-13-2007, 13:19
I went with the Veo 250 console(computer,compass,spg). Got it from ST for $400 when they price-matched one I found on-line. Got the download cable for less than $50 from ST at the same time. I've since moved the Veo and compass to wrist boots. The Veo 250 is step up from Veo 180. It does Nitrox upto 50%. You're smart to get a Nitrox-capable computer, even if not Nitrox certified; I wasn't, but thought I "might" someday be certified. I am am now Nitrox certified. I had the Veo 250 at time of my OW (wife bought it for me as Christmas gift).

jacewindu
07-13-2007, 16:12
have you used the 180 as well? can you comment on the difference between it and the 250?

Mooosse
07-15-2007, 08:17
I have the 250 and it works great - configuable setup with air or nitrox, you can setup your limits and where you want to be on the limit - nice!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

EuphoriaII
07-16-2007, 09:12
IYou can build in your own conservatism. Try to be more liberal than the other guy's conservative model, you'll end up violated! (pun intended).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thats one thing I don't like about my Scubapro-Uwatec Aladin Prime (son and I both hvae one)</DIV>
<DIV>We've been on some dives in Cozumel where we were nearly out of time when others around us (who entered at the same time and had similar profiles) had more time. I'm glad to play it 'safe' with the more conservative profile but I wouldn't mind having a little more time to use at my discretion. </DIV>
<DIV>Instead, I'm worried about maxing out thetime and shutting down the computer forthe day so we have to go up 15 feet above the rest of the group to get a little more time out of it. Sometimes it means going over the swimthrough instead of through it.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif</DIV>

CompuDude
07-16-2007, 10:48
IYou can build in your own conservatism. Try to be more liberal than the other guy's conservative model, you'll end up violated! (pun intended).
<div></div>
<div>Thats one thing I don't like about my Scubapro-Uwatec Aladin Prime (son and I both hvae one)</div>
<div>We've been on some dives in Cozumel where we were nearly out of time when others around us (who entered at the same time and had similar profiles) had more time. I'm glad to play it 'safe' with the more conservative profile but I wouldn't mind having a little more time to use at my discretion. </div>
<div>Instead, I'm worried about maxing out thetime and shutting down the computer forthe day so we have to go up 15 feet above the rest of the group to get a little more time out of it. Sometimes it means going over the swimthrough instead of through it.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif</div>
Unless your Uwatec is different from mine, it won't lock you out if you have the conservatism settings cranked up and overstay your welcome, as it were. Instead, it progressively goes back to less conservative settings to give you more time, until you actually violate "hard rules". Only then would it lock you out.

EuphoriaII
07-17-2007, 14:36
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thats one thing I don't like about my Scubapro-Uwatec Aladin Prime (son and I both hvae one)</DIV>
<DIV>We've been on some dives in Cozumel where we were nearly out of time when others around us (who entered at the same time and had similar profiles) had more time. I'm glad to play it 'safe' with the more conservative profile but I wouldn't mind having a little more time to use at my discretion. </DIV>
<DIV>Instead, I'm worried about maxing out thetime and shutting down the computer forthe day so we have to go up 15 feet above the rest of the group to get a little more time out of it. Sometimes it means going over the swimthrough instead of through it.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif</DIV>
Unless your Uwatec is different from mine, it won't lock you out if you have the conservatism settings cranked up and overstay your welcome, as it were. Instead, it progressively goes back to less conservative settings to give you more time, until you actually violate "hard rules". Only then would it lock you out.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thats good to know. I might try to test that out on a 'final dive' sometime to see what happens if I just barely violate the time limit.</DIV>

harb99
07-18-2007, 08:14
*****UPDATE*****

I pulled the trigger on one of these along with the download cable - should be here today (just checked ups.com). Total cost was well within my budget.

Thanks ST.

Harb

reservecops
07-18-2007, 10:12
*****UPDATE*****I pulled the trigger on one of these along with the download cable - should be here today (just checked ups.com). Total cost was well within my budget.Thanks ST.Harb
I bought one of these from ST a few weeks back, as did my father. I've used it on four dives so far without any real incident. The SPG seems to be reading a consistent ~100 psi low, so Joe is sending me a new SPG.

I should have the download cable tomorrow, too.

We're leaving for the USVI this Saturday, so we'll see how it works in warmer waters ... :)

reservecops
07-18-2007, 22:52
Anybody know how to shut off the Veo 180 after turning it on manually (not diving)? Or do I HAVE to wait for it to turn itself off after 2 hours?

ScubaToys Larry
07-18-2007, 22:56
Yea... just wait. There is no way to turn it off - that way you can't accidentally do it during a dive. Lighting up a lcd display for a few hours takes virtually no battery power - so no worries!

reservecops
07-18-2007, 23:07
Thanks.

BTW: Rec'd the data cable from you guys today. Works like a charm!

harb99
07-19-2007, 08:29
Anybody know how to shut off the Veo 180 after turning it on manually (not diving)? Or do I HAVE to wait for it to turn itself off after 2 hours?

I was playing with mine last night and was wondering the same thing - since I couldnt find it in the book, I figured it would shut off after 2 hours.

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 09:58
i got my veo 180 a few days ago as well - looks great (along with the regs i got as well)!

another ST success, and i'm not surprised :)

rktman26
07-19-2007, 20:27
ST is gonna sell alot of these based on this thread. I plan to order mine tomorrow.

smileys/smiley4.gif

creggur
07-19-2007, 20:45
ST is gonna sell alot of these based on this thread. I plan to order mine tomorrow.

smileys/smiley4.gif

You are correct sir... Mine shipped out today. Just seems like a good first computer with room to grow into Nitrox at a great price...

przeor
07-20-2007, 00:34
I've got a veo 250 (really similar) and love it- had it for about 150 dives so far and have no complaints- except I wishI could get the back light to stay on longer sometimes, but that's pretty picky!)

harb99
07-20-2007, 11:00

smileys/smiley4.gif

You are correct sir... Mine shipped out today. Just seems like a good first computer with room to grow into Nitrox at a great price...

Glad I could help their sales out by starting it. smileys/smiley2.gif

rktman26
07-20-2007, 15:41
Pulled the trigger and ordered it today. Just waiting on the confirmation e-mail. Can't wait to use it.

Todd at ST was a big help.

rktman26
07-25-2007, 20:50
The VEO showed up today, along with the download cable and a few other
items. If everything lines up, I'll be diving it this weekend.

picxie
07-26-2007, 03:52
The VEO showed up today, along with the download cable and a few other items. If everything lines up, I'll be diving it this weekend.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Would you be able to tell me how big it is? And how thick? I'm thinking of getting one but want to make sure whichever one I get isn't going to be too big for my wrist. Thanks!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>

creggur
07-26-2007, 06:46
Mine arrived Tuesday, and we tried our new Envoys, Octo-Z's, Brigade, and Zena in our pool last night... Unfortunately my pool is only 6' deep so we couldn't get down low enough for the Veo's to come out of surface mode...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I will say for a small unit it has a large easy to read display, that's really the only review I can give it right now.... Loved the other stuff though...</DIV>

picxie
07-26-2007, 14:39
Unfortunately my pool is only 6' deep so we couldn't get down low enough for the Veo's to come out of surface mode...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And here I was thinking that when I got a computer I'd be able to dump my wrist in a bucket of water to have a play http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

rktman26
07-26-2007, 21:06
I haven't dove with mine, but I messed around with the VEO 180. It seems to be pretty intuitive and easy to use, which is a huge benefit for an newbie like me.

terrillja
07-28-2007, 08:40
I'm glad this came up! I'm also looking at the VEO 180. I'm a new
diver, and looking to get a simple computer that will serve me as I
gain experience, while I don't need one that will assist in the
launching of nuclear weapons.

I'm pretty sure the VEO 180 will fit that bill.

I've had mine since July 2006, when I first got certified. I love it, since it has some added features above the Veo 100NX, but costs less then the Veo 250. I personally haven't used it for Nitrox yet, but hope to take a nitrox course this summer. For me, it can be rather difficult to get nitrox fills in rural NH, but this computer has always been easy to use with air. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great computer at a reasonable rate.

rktman26
07-29-2007, 20:59
I used it today for the first time. Very easy to use and understand. I like the auto safety stop timer that comes on at 15 feet.
The only question I have is - Can you turn it off?
When I finished the dive, it switched over to the Tme to Fly and Desat timers.
Do these continue to countdown to zero? Will it turn itself off after the "time to fly" has hit zero? Is there a way to eleiminate this and just urn it off?

ScubaToys Larry
07-29-2007, 21:17
No, you can't turn it off. You have nitrogen in you, so your computers job is to keep track of all that... so it will stay on. It's not doing much, so don't worry.. a few hours of keeping a LCD display lit will not affect much. How long does a LCD watch run? And they never shut off.

So just let the poor guy feel like he's doing his job and count down for you. He'll go to sleep when his work is done!

loudgonzo
07-30-2007, 08:06
So just let the poor guy feel like he's doing his job and count down for you. He'll go to sleep when his work is done!

Does Joe ever get some shut eye? That's a lot of counting! LOL

rktman26
07-30-2007, 12:47
Thanks, Larry.
When I got home from work, it was off.
Overall, I think the VEO 180 is perfect for my needs. I think my buddy will be picking one up as well.
We'll be doing a wreck dive this weekend, and I'm looking forward to using it on that dive.

GlockGuy
08-01-2007, 16:07
When I got certified, I bought a VEO250. It seems appropriate to post some notes here;
1. I LOVE this computer. However, when I returned from a dive trip to Cozumel, I couldn't get all the dives to download. I called Mark at Oceanic and after a few questions, we figured out what the problem was -I had set my sampling rate to a frequent setting and, since I never attempted to download until I got home, I ran through all of the available memory and ended up with files getting written over. However, if you just looked at the computer display in log mode, all of the pertinent info was there. I just wasn't able to get the pretty graph displays on my computer. Lesson Learned - Leave the sampling to every 15 seconds or so and no more!
2. SPG Failure - I came out of a quarry dive (pre-season tune-up dives) and found some of the quarry water IN MY GAUGE!:smiley7: I called the shop where I had bought my console (computer, compass and gauge) 15 months earlier. They said that for $100 plus service fee, they would replace the gauge. I decided to call Mark at Oceanic again, and he stated that it was still covered by warranty and to just send it in. 2 weeks later, my console was returned with a brand new SPG installed and free service on my computer. Thanks, Oceanic, for outstanding service after the sale!
3. As much as I like this computer, I sometimes wish I had gone with a wrist model. That would mean one less hose and, as others have noted, it's easier to navigate without holding your console in front of yourself agains the tension of your retractor.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 17:47
When I got certified, I bought a VEO250. It seems appropriate to post some notes here;
1. I LOVE this computer. However, when I returned from a dive trip to Cozumel, I couldn't get all the dives to download. I called Mark at Oceanic and after a few questions, we figured out what the problem was -I had set my sampling rate to a frequent setting and, since I never attempted to download until I got home, I ran through all of the available memory and ended up with files getting written over. However, if you just looked at the computer display in log mode, all of the pertinent info was there. I just wasn't able to get the pretty graph displays on my computer. Lesson Learned - Leave the sampling to every 15 seconds or so and no more!
2. SPG Failure - I came out of a quarry dive (pre-season tune-up dives) and found some of the quarry water IN MY GAUGE!:smiley7: I called the shop where I had bought my console (computer, compass and gauge) 15 months earlier. They said that for $100 plus service fee, they would replace the gauge. I decided to call Mark at Oceanic again, and he stated that it was still covered by warranty and to just send it in. 2 weeks later, my console was returned with a brand new SPG installed and free service on my computer. Thanks, Oceanic, for outstanding service after the sale!
3. As much as I like this computer, I sometimes wish I had gone with a wrist model. That would mean one less hose and, as others have noted, it's easier to navigate without holding your console in front of yourself agains the tension of your retractor.
1- Or download your computer more frequently, even if it means traveling with a laptop! One nice thing about my Uwatec... it uses a 4 sec sampling rate by default, and holds 100 dives in memory (actually 100 hours, but it averages out about right). Of course, I paid dearly for that privilege.
2- Oceanic service has consistently brought about stories like this. Mega kudos to them.
3- So why not put the computer and compass in a wrist mount and leave just the SPG on the hose? A couple of new boots aren't that expensive.

rktman26
08-01-2007, 20:38
1- Or download your computer more frequently, even if it means traveling with a laptop! One nice thing about my Uwatec... it uses a 4 sec sampling rate by default, and holds 100 dives in memory (actually 100 hours, but it averages out about right). Of course, I paid dearly for that privilege.
2- Oceanic service has consistently brought about stories like this. Mega kudos to them.
3- So why not put the computer and compass in a wrist mount and leave just the SPG on the hose? A couple of new boots aren't that expensive.

I did just that. I had a three gauge console. When I got bought the computer, I bought the wrist model, a boot for a compass, and a boot for my SPG. Computer on the left wrist, compass on the right, SPG clipped of to a D ring. It's a heck of alot less "bulky" than the 3 gauge console.

harb99
08-15-2007, 08:08
Got back from a week in the Keys on Saturday (8/11) - went on 5 2-tank diving trips with Key Dives in Islamorada. The Veo180 I purchased worked flawlessly and its very simple and user friendly.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question and helped me make the decision to purchase this computer - I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a budget first computer.

Harb

creggur
08-15-2007, 09:14
Got back from a week in the Keys on Saturday (8/11) - went on 5 2-tank diving trips with Key Dives in Islamorada. The Veo180 I purchased worked flawlessly and its very simple and user friendly.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question and helped me make the decision to purchase this computer - I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a budget first computer.

Harb

Glad you had a good trip, and that you're happy with the 180.

reservecops
08-15-2007, 19:49
3. As much as I like this computer, I sometimes wish I had gone with a wrist model. That would mean one less hose and, as others have noted, it's easier to navigate without holding your console in front of yourself agains the tension of your retractor.My retractor clips to a D-ring on one end, and the other has a standard ring (like a keychain ring) that is attached to the console.

However, between the keyring and the retractor line is a quick disconnect (male/female snap connect).

This way, I can leave it be and it retracts when I let it go (e.g., when checking the SPG), but if I want to use it to navigate, I simply unclip the male/female snap clip, and the console is no longer attached to (or fighting the pressure of) the retractor line.

It's this one, and you can buy it right here from ST! :)

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF

picxie
08-16-2007, 03:24

Harb

I have been following this thread almost since it started and I have to say it has been a great source of information. I am pleased to see that the computer is living up to what others said ... I am planning on buying one myself very shortly.

Neat you had a good trip too!

Mmm Scuba
08-23-2007, 05:44
I really like my Veo 180. I like it enough that I wanted to buy one for my wife. I wanted us to have the same computer so we would have the same NDL time and so we wouldn't have to learn to program a second computer.

Unfortunatly you guys bought them all, and ST will no longer be selling them.

So my options were

Veo 180 at LDS over $400 !!!
Veo 180 at LP $199.95
Veo 250 at ST $379.95
Veo 250 at LP $274.95

I went with the last option.

Buying gear is becoming quite a headache. Stuff gets phased out, relabled, repriced way too much. Paying 25 to 100% more for a warranty is a bit steep. And why does it not have a warranty if I buy it one place over another? It's the same product. Price discrimination, product differentiation, market seepage, marketing shmarketing.

TxScubaBear
08-23-2007, 13:31
Man~! Y'all are making me wish I'd gone to a Veo 180 versus a Veo 100Nx I haven't used yet, after reading all these threads!!!

Mmm Scuba
08-23-2007, 14:32
Man~! Y'all are making me wish I'd gone to a Veo 180 versus a Veo 100Nx I haven't used yet, after reading all these threads!!!

They are nearly identical.