PDA

View Full Version : Trading Happy Meal Toys for ScubaToys!

Cichlid
08-01-2007, 20:01
Something that I just started today:

With the need for new gear and the need to lose weight, I came up with a plan to combine the two. I usually finish work at 1-2pm and have an hour to drive home. Unfortunately fast food has been a perfect way to have a late lunch and kill time on the drive home. On avg I spend $5/day, which adds up to $25/week or $100/month! So today I skipped the drive thru, got home and had a healthy lunch. I then took the $5 I was gonna spend and I put it in a box. Every time I have the urge to eat out I know I can beat it since I'm using the cash for scuba stuff instead. Now I know $100 a month isn't gonna buy me much in this hobby when I still need everthing, but it's a start. Plus it will still buy me the extra stuff that I couldn't justify buying before!

If you have any other ideas, post them!

PS I know that I really didn't save a whole $5 because I still had to pay for the food I had at home. Still, it was a savings and it was a more healthy option. It's just easier to keep it at $5. :)

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 20:10
That's a great idea! Good luck with it! :)

TAH 73
08-01-2007, 20:29
$100 a month is still $1200 a year, in five years $6000 look at it that way.
I did something similar to that this year when working with pocket change. In Canada we have $1 and $2 coins, and at the end of the day I would take my pocket change and drop it into an old pony bottle I had cut a hole in. After 8 months I dumped it out, to the tune of almost $800.

picxie
08-02-2007, 05:06
That's a great idea!!

I already eat packed lunches so it won't work for me.

Just think, in a years time you'll have enough for a holiday!

dallasdivergirl
08-03-2007, 12:07
I am bringing my lunch every day or if I do eat out it has to be some where I can get a to go box & only eat half & have the other half later in the week. I was shocked at how much I was saving. Some days I had been spending $12 & $15. DOH! Plus I know I am eating healthier. The move has been a great motivator as well. I make myself eat at home so I have less food to cart to the new place.

thor
08-03-2007, 12:33
Great idea. Also cutting up your credit card works well. For me it was giving up Starbucks and making my own cofee at home to save for a new wetsuit. Who wants to pay $5 for a latte anyway? (But it is oh so good)

DiveCaptain
08-04-2007, 17:33
I have a similiar way to save. Everyday I have loose pocket change and all I do is fill an old beer bottle bank I have that once had popcorn in it when I bought it. When it fills up I take it to the bank to get counted and usually end up with around $500 to $1000 dollars (depending on how much silver is in it). The only problem is that I have only managed to fill it up on time. It takes oh so long to get it filled.

ScubaToys Larry
08-04-2007, 17:40
I found a way to save money. Empty my pockets at the shop and don't take any cash, or coins home - where my wife will confiscate it!

Osprey
08-06-2007, 17:46
Well I mean, it's cheaper to just have one grocery bill than to add lunches on-the-go on top of it all, isn't it? :) Besides, if you physically put money back, you KNOW it isn't spent, and it will slowly add up in that box.

Also I recommend to save all your change in a big jar, roll them, and then turn them into the bank after they've accumulated for a while. CoinStar takes a fee, so you're better off just doing it all yourself and going to the bank. This is how I pay for goodies when I am on vacation at the end of a full year!!!

Theepdinker
08-23-2007, 19:30
I quit smoking 14 years ago. Two packs a day.

Can you guess where that money goes.
I've taken a couple trips & bought a bunch of toys over the years.

Recently quit drinking soda & eating candy bars.
I'm losing weight & have more money for toys.

Theep

ScubaToys Larry
08-23-2007, 19:44
I quit smoking 14 years ago. Two packs a day.

Can you guess where that money goes.
I've taken a couple trips & bought a bunch of toys over the years.

Recently quit drinking soda & eating candy bars.
I'm losing weight & have more money for toys.

Theep

Yea... but now what's the point in living?! Next you'll tell me you have given up booze!

Just kidding - congrats on your accomplishments!

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 20:01
i do the same i usually have 1-2 dolalrs in change at the end of a day and i put it in a jar. I also recently stopped eating out and have started making more meals at home so i can save up for my ST gear!

mm_dm
08-23-2007, 20:32
I did the same thing with what I spent on beer, etc. when I would go without. All those nasty little habits sure add up don't they?

Osprey
08-24-2007, 12:21
All those nasty little habits sure add up don't they?

You know, it's funny how many people don't believe that is true! After I started bringing my own lunch to campus instead of picking up a quick soup or something.. I suddenly had $20 extra at the end of the week. HMMMM!

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 12:27
Bahahahahaha! you are too funny...but if you guys wouldn't leave it laying anywhere and everywhere...we wouldn't have to pick it up for you and stow it away.....

mm_dm
08-24-2007, 13:24
Okay, I'm game...what are you talking about?:smiley5:

porsche060
08-24-2007, 17:08
Something that I just started today:

With the need for new gear and the need to lose weight, I came up with a plan to combine the two. I usually finish work at 1-2pm and have an hour to drive home. Unfortunately fast food has been a perfect way to have a late lunch and kill time on the drive home. On avg I spend $5/day, which adds up to $25/week or $100/month! So today I skipped the drive thru, got home and had a healthy lunch. I then took the $5 I was gonna spend and I put it in a box. Every time I have the urge to eat out I know I can beat it since I'm using the cash for scuba stuff instead. Now I know $100 a month isn't gonna buy me much in this hobby when I still need everthing, but it's a start. Plus it will still buy me the extra stuff that I couldn't justify buying before!

If you have any other ideas, post them!

PS I know that I really didn't save a whole $5 because I still had to pay for the food I had at home. Still, it was a savings and it was a more healthy option. It's just easier to keep it at $5. :)

Why is healthy food usually more expensive

cummings66
08-24-2007, 22:56
It's odd, price fruits and vegetables and you'll see why it's so hard for a family to eat healthy.

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 23:04
I travel for a living and my per diem allowance for food is $75 a day. Unfortunately, if I don't spend it I don't get it. O well, the weight loss sure wouldn't hurt.

Osprey
08-25-2007, 01:11
It's odd, price fruits and vegetables and you'll see why it's so hard for a family to eat healthy.

SO sadly true!!!

skippy11
08-26-2007, 22:46
We started putting back $25.00 per pay check (it is direct deposit - so we don't ever see it). Each of us do this, so it is basically $150.00 per month. We call this money our mad cash....it goes primarily to vacations. Since we never see it....we don't miss it. It is amazing to see how much money you can put back in a short period of time.

Good luck to you!!

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 16:11
sold my medevac helicopter pin collection for 1300 able to buy a dive computer and some more gear. trading one hobbie for another !!!

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 23:13
We have started eating tv dinners for supper. For two reasons:

1. We can get them for $1.25 per dinner, so it is a total of $3.75 for us to eat if you include the dog.
2. We are the types that eat because there is food, so this helps us to portion our meals...so far it has helped.