PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle for Jr diver

ladyfish
03-30-2008, 16:50
OK, so it's time to buy a BCD for my son. He's kind of small. 5 ft tall, 75 lbs, waist of about 24". Where's that Ranger JR when I need it.

So he tried on someone's Zeagle Escape in XS/XS. Still seemed a bit too big in the shoulders and the waist was cinched all the way down. I'd like to have the ability for him to grow in the BC, but don't want it to be too big where he isn't comfortable now. I have another option, but the other BCD doesn't have the flexibility of changing the shoulder straps as he grows and expanding the waistband.

Suggestions?

Is the Escape still available? What is the difference between the Escape and the Stilletto? Is the XS still too big? I think maybe a little bit. What is my best solution?

FyVe
03-30-2008, 21:28
concept 2 will grow with him... but i dont know if it will be small enough at XS either.

Craig Winnerman
03-31-2008, 05:02
I got my son the Zeagle Ranger JR when he first started diving at 10 y/o. Small kid then even smaller than yours. It is a very well made BC and now my wife uses it. I have the regular Zeagle Ranger and hate it. The JR model is much more streamlined with bungied wings. Anothe option, if you have the money for 1st class, would be the dive Rite Kids program. Buy the right size now and you have the ability to swap for larger sizes later and a minimual cost.

ScottZeagle
03-31-2008, 09:15
Your best bet would probably be the Concept II BC. The vest section will expand all the way from XS to a MED, and the shoulder sections will as well. If the XS is a little too big, you can add a lumbar pad to take up the extra space.

The Escape Bc is still being made, but the shoulders are sewn on, so it cannot expand as your child grows.

ladyfish
03-31-2008, 11:02
Scott;

Thanks for the info. Good to know about the differences between the concept and escape.

Is there a big weight differential? He'll mostly be diving during trips, so weight is an issue (especially now that airlines are charging for 2nd checked bag)!

Can I get a smaller bladder--just checked out your website and noticed it has a 44lb bladder. Way too much for jr diver.

ScottZeagle
03-31-2008, 11:41
Yeah, I meant to say that we could put a single bag 24lb bladder on it, which will help for travel!!!

Sorry!

jtkkym
05-07-2008, 17:14
Hi Scott,
I have questions about the Concept II BCD.
You mentioned add lumber pad to take up extra space but isn't it come with a Lumbar Pad?

Are the weight pockets same setup (weight pokets on body side with red zipper and regular pockets on out side) as Ranger?

Is there additional cost to order with a different bladder?

Thanks.

ScottZeagle
05-08-2008, 10:05
I just answered your PM....

It comes with a lumbar pad, but you can also add the removable one which will take up space in the back.

The BC has tha same ripcord weight system as found on the Ranger BC.

Changing the bladder out will affect the price a little - either up or down, depending on which bladder you want. Your dealer can help you get that all sorted out!!

Thanks!

Scott