PDA

View Full Version : Spear-fishers.... i need some help

Black-Gorrilla
03-31-2008, 16:49
I wanna get into spear fishing... but have no idea how to go about this?
are there charters that go out spear fishing? as i dont have a boat, that limits me to what i do...

How do you learn to spear fish? is it a "get out there and do it" kind of thing? or do you take a different approach?

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time.

scubasamurai
03-31-2008, 17:10
actually my dive shop teaches spear fishing. you may want to call around and do some internet searches
also she takes divers and spear fisherman out on the same boat alot of times and has scheduled trips just for fishing'
have fun

Black-Gorrilla
03-31-2008, 17:44
where do you live if you don't mind me asking? name of the shop?

i was at all 3 LDS today, and they all told me something useful. one shop is gonna go out sometime next month for a group spear day, and i hope that by then i have figured out what to do.

No Misses
03-31-2008, 21:47
BG, There is a wealth of information on Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
1) The #1 thing that will improve your hunting is to start with a pole spear. This will teach you the all important Stalking technique. It is important to be quiet and smooth. If the second you spot a fish you go into hunt mode, the fish can sense your heart rate and if you are looking directly at it and moving towards it, the fish will bolt.
2) With a wary fish, I have had success by ignoring it. Put your face in the sand and muck about (fan the sand). This will give a less intimidating attitude. Sometimes the fish will come right in to see what you are eating.
3) Learn to identify your target species in a split second. If you take too long to make up you mind, the fish will be gone. You also do not want to shoot a protected species or short fish by mistake. ALL FISH LOOK BIGGER UNDER WATER.
4) Only shoot what you are going to eat. NO TARGET PRACTICE ON UNWANTED FISH
5) Learn the size and bag limits.

Yes I did do some SHOUTING in this post. No Offense intended. I just wanted to drive the point home.

I'll follow this up with a PM. Maybe we can work our schedules to where I can take you out and show you the ropes. I have a spare gun that you can try out.

One last thing. I did 3 dives Saturday and did not see one good fish. The Hog Snappers were all small (leagal but barely). No Groupers or Muttons. We did get our limit of bugs for the last dives of the season.

Black-Gorrilla
03-31-2008, 22:14
the "no target practice" is something i absolutely agree with. i'll practice on things that i plan on eating, and probably end up without a meal, but thats better than worthless kills. I'll start filling my brain with the stuff you pointed out.