PDA

View Full Version : Strobe Travel & Maintenance Tips



DevilDiver
04-01-2008, 02:41
Found this on this INON webpage:

Strobe Travel & Maintenance Tips
When traveling, here are some basic recommended steps you can take to help avoid damaging your strobe and to keep your strobe working properly.

Remove Battery Box Outer Cap or Battery Box O-ring when flying. INON strobes are designed to withstand external pressure but not internal pressure (when ambient air pressure decreases).
Remove the batteries. It is good practice to always remove the batteries when the strobe is not in use for a period of time. If batteries are left in, the battery contacts may become pressed down - out of optimum contact position. The batteries may also leak and cause damage to the strobe.
Properly pack your strobe. It is important to protect your strobe from any impact shock or heavy vibrations. Simply wrap the strobe in a towel or place it in a padded protective case.
Camera rinse tanks are for rinsing ONLY! Do not leave your camera system in a boat's rinse tank while moving. More camera/strobe floods are caused by camera systems banging into each other while in these rinse tanks. Rinse your system then wrap in a towel until you can properly rinse your system in a controlled environment.
Do not expose your strobe to extreme heat, such as inside of a sun-heated car or in direct hot sunlight such as a beach or boat deck. Doing so may cause deformation, damage and subsequent flooding.
Clean the battery contacts. Through time, AA batteries can discharge a film, which in turn coats the strobe’s battery contacts causing the strobe not to work. Simply take a clean pencil eraser and gently clean the contacts.
Recharge the strobe’s capacitor. If your strobe sits for a period of time not being used, the main capacitor can lose its charge. A sign of this is when the strobe is turned on; the Ready Light does not light. Simply clean the battery contacts, install a new or freshly charged set of batteries then turn the strobe ON and let it sit for approximately 5 minutes. The Ready Light should now be lit.
Rinse your strobe thoroughly. Let the strobe soak in warm fresh water while you slowly manipulate the controls. This will help dissolve remaining salt and loosen trapped sand.
DO NOT USE cleaning solvents/solution. Do not clean with alcohol, benzene, thinner or organic solvent based solutions. These solvents can damage the strobes polycarbonate body.
Prevent water from entering the battery compartment. Make sure your strobe is completely dry before opening the battery compartment. Even if a small amount of water makes contact with the battery terminals, corrosion can form on the contact points making the strobe malfunction or become inoperable.Hope this helps someone!