PDA

View Full Version : Getting certified in September from Baton Rouge

nferra2
08-01-2007, 20:35
Hi, I am new to the scuba world. I have been researching and stumbled accross this website. I am glad to see a LDS embracing the online world rather than shunning anyone that uses a computer. I went to my local LDS and I was shunned for telling them I was going to get certified while on vacation in Pensacola (from a shop that I have recieved High recomendations for). I was planning on buying fins, boots, mask and snorkel there for two so we could make sure everything fit before our vacation, but I guess they weren't interested in my money since I wasn't taking the class there. Glad to be here and I hope I can learn some basics before I make the plunge.

Nick

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 20:37
It's disappointing whenever I hear LDS stories like that, but unfortunately it's quite common.

Glad to have you around here though, I'm sure you'll enjoy the time spent! :)

Illini_Fan
08-01-2007, 20:52
Welcome, to both Scuba diving and ScubaToys.

Moxie
08-01-2007, 21:22
Hi nferra2! I'm sorry to hear about your not so great experience with a local dive shop. But welcome to the boards and to ScubaToys!

Foo2
08-02-2007, 09:53
Welcome to the boards nferra2! Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the LDS. That really sucks and they missed out on a sale! People can be so silly. Anyway, welcome!

nferra2
08-05-2007, 20:59
Well, I did discover a smaller shop in the area that is much better than the first. I already made arrangements with a dive shop in pensacola so I will stick with them, but now I won't have so far to go if I want to up my certification (nitrox, advance).

crosseyed95
08-05-2007, 21:23
Sorry to hear about your bad experience and glad to hear about you finding other LDS. Diving is like other businesses and you'll find good LDS and bad LDS's. You'll find owners who want to work with everyone and understand that some people may not buy now but may be back. You'll also find owners who have their elite customers and everyone else doesn't matter. Please don't assume that since you were blown off that this is what everyone is like.

I'm a Dive Master and the LDS that I work for (part-time) is great. It's a small business (one employee, the owner) and because of this he tries to help everyone. Now, if I work for a local dive shop why am I here at ScubaToys?? Well, all people have "opportunities for improvement" and my local LDS isn't anything different. If I want something that he doesn't carry or something unusual, I end up waiting for the item forever. With only a 5 month season I cannot wait 2 months to get the item. So I use ScubaToys for my odds and ends and for special items my LDS doesn't carry. My local dive shop understands (I hope) and I know ScubaToys would rather have some of my business instead of none...

I hope you enjoy scuba diving and welcome to ScubaToys...

nferra2
08-06-2007, 18:30
I can't imagine too much business going through a LDS in Michigan, Do that many people dive in the Lakes? I like that I am a short drive to the gulf of mexico, and a quick hop to Mexico, or any of the caribean islands by plane. I don't think I could handle a cold lake. I did go on a death wish dive in Puerto Vallarta, no traing, they just hook us up and dumped us over. I did not realize how little they were going to show us, and It was probably a pretty dangerous situation. I know I will enjoy diving, especially after learning how to do it properly.

Nick

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 18:35
Welcome to the board! As others have said, it's too bad that your first LDS experience was that awful. The good news is there are plenty of other places that would love your business. That and the fact it's almost football season! Geaux Saints!

nferra2
08-06-2007, 19:05
I hope the Saints do better than they did yesterday. I know its only preseason, but it is still depressing. I use to go to the Saints games all the time (when they were winning challenged). I could just walk up to the dome before game time and get primo seats for next to nothing or free. Last year I had to plead, borrow, beg, and steal to get tickets, and then every game I went to we lost, so I decided I will be watching the Saints from home in HD goodness or from the local bar that has a 100+ inch projection screen and killer gametime food. Geaux Saints! Geaux Tigers!

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 19:20
I'm not worried. The important thing is that no one gets seriously injured. I'm more worried about you deciding to go to a game this season! Definately don't want that string of loses to continue. Livingin San Diego, I don't get to see the Saints live too often. I subscribed to Directv just so I could bring the games into the house. Foods not as good as the local pub, but I rarely wake up with a hangover the next morning. Well, maybe a little more than rarely.

I think the Saints are gonna get off to rough opening to the season, but there's no reason to think they won't win the division again.

creggur
08-06-2007, 19:50
Welcome to the boards... This is a great place to learn and ask questions..
Take it from another newbie, you probably couldn't find a better place to ask questions, or learn about gear and diving in general..

Don't worry about the LDS thing.. I've bought 100% of my gear from Scubatoys, and you can trust them to give you good advice, not try to upsell you into something you don't need, and give you awesome prices on quality gear with full warranties because they are an authorized retailer for everything they sell. Something you need to watch out for from other online retailers..

You'll even see the owner of the place Scubatoys Larry, and his partner Scubatoys Joe around here quite a bit. They are both great guy's that you can trust.. So kick back explore the board and if you have any questions feel free to ask....

Again welcome and good luck on your coming certification!!!

Centerius
08-08-2007, 08:39
Welcome to the board! You'll definitely get lots of good information here, and good deals on your gear with great customer service.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 09:06
Working on those 250 post Quickly Centeris? What gear are you going after?