PDA

View Full Version : Personal Save-A-Dive Kit

Penguino
04-01-2008, 14:18
As a new diver reading this forum, I can see the need for a "save-a-dive" kit for last minute repairs before a dive. My question is what should go into such a kit? Is it better to buy a pre-packaged one, or should I piece one together myself? Thanks.

MSilvia
04-01-2008, 14:33
There was a good thread on this very topic not long ago. Check it out here: http://forum.scubatoys.com/comments-questions-dont-fit-above/6296-what-your-save-dive-kit.html

There's nothing wrong with asking, but there's often good information in the archives that folks may not bother to post again. I found it quickly with the site's search feature, for future reference.

You may get some good parts out of a store-bought save-a-dive, but I wouldn't expect it to be complete. I'd say you're better off putting a kit together yourself. I've been less than impressed with most of the packages I've seen.

ReefHound
04-01-2008, 14:35
Mine is a pile of stuff accumulated over time. Spare o-rings of a variety of sizes, especially for tank valves. Various small tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches, and allen sockets with fittings for my stages and stuff. Extra clips, tie wraps, tape, lube, etc. Spare mask strap. And more.

You could start by getting one of those kits and a multipurpose tool then adding things as you go.

ReefHound
04-01-2008, 14:37
There was a good thread on this very topic not long ago. Check it out here: http://forum.scubatoys.com/comments-questions-dont-fit-above/6296-what-your-save-dive-kit.html

I knew I had seen that thread somewhere.

Zenagirl
04-01-2008, 14:44
I started out with one of the prepackaged ones, but it quickly grew from there. Now I use an extra-reg bag for everything, including stuff specific to our own gear (like Mares straps, battery kits for computers, etc). While on our liveaboard last year, one of the other divers' Mares straps broke. I was able to keep him from having to borrow fins by loaning him one of our spare straps, so the kit isn't just to save our dives anymore. ;)

Penguino
04-01-2008, 14:46

There's nothing wrong with asking, but there's often good information in the archives that folks may not bother to post again. I found it quickly with the site's search feature, for future reference.

You may get some good parts out of a store-bought save-a-dive, but I wouldn't expect it to be complete. I'd say you're better off putting a kit together yourself. I've been less than impressed with most of the packages I've seen.

Thanks. Didn't even think to check the archives.

ReefHound
04-01-2008, 14:49
While on our liveaboard last year, one of the other divers' Mares straps broke. I was able to keep him from having to borrow fins by loaning him one of our spare straps, so the kit isn't just to save our dives anymore. ;)

Sometimes saving your dive requires you to save your buddy's dive. :smiley2:

DarinMartell
04-01-2008, 15:18
Searching the archieves are good but when you have a question ask again too since new people reading the thread may have different ideas for us all.

I'm a newbe too but I have already tripled my save-a-dive kit from when I atarted. I started with a store bought one. Reading about other peoples and reading different books and mags, along with things that make sense to me I have greatly expanded on mine. I just changed it from the little tube it first came in to a plastic tackle box with adjustable compartments. While checking the mouthpiece on my rental reg before my very first dive I saw it was starting to tear. When I showed it to my instructor (they where his regs) he agreed we needed a new mouthpiece. Despite having hiw old UPS truck there full of equipment he did not have a spare mouthpiece with him. So my kit saved my very first dive!

ScubaJW
04-04-2008, 19:07
I rather to pack save a dive kit where I see that is probably useful. I think I overpacked it myself, but I rather to be prepared for anything.

Penguino
04-06-2008, 01:16
As for extra mask/fin straps, can these be purchased generically at a LDS or do they have to be ordered off of the manufacturer's website?

CompuDude
04-06-2008, 02:31
As for extra mask/fin straps, can these be purchased generically at a LDS or do they have to be ordered off of the manufacturer's website?

Depends on the mask/fins. Some are somewhat proprietary, others are fine with generic stuff.

Starting with a pre-packed save-a-dive is one way to go, or just piece your own together. The one sure thing is that it's going to grow quite a bit from whatever you think you need now!

fkostyun
04-06-2008, 11:26
I started with a prepackaged kit myself, and have been adding slowly to it. When I replaced the mouthpiece on the regulators with a seacure, I put the original into the box, etc.

One thing I do need to get is more o-rings, as I've pretty much used up what I had. I think that tank o-rings are one of the most commonly needed items. (I was on a boat dive once and they were "rummaging through piles of junk" to find one to replace a blown ring.)

The other thing that I am adding is a set of batteries for our computers - especially with getting ready to go on a week long vacation. I also carry an extra mask with me, along with a spare hose.

I'm sure as time goes on - I'll add even more to the kit - but - I'll still try to keep it down to a decent size.

CFDAlden
04-09-2008, 01:08
The wife and I had two of the purchased kits thrown in when we bought our gear. I had picks, wrenches, and other assorted tools at home. Bought a couple O-Ring kits, and that was the start.

diver 85
07-07-2008, 23:25
While on our liveaboard last year, one of the other divers' Mares straps broke. I was able to keep him from having to borrow fins by loaning him one of our spare straps, so the kit isn't just to save our dives anymore. ;)

Sometimes saving your dive requires you to save your buddy's dive. :smiley2:

Not if you're a solo diver........

namabiru
07-08-2008, 00:30
Save a dive kits can also have first aid items. I bought a plastic toolbox with two trays that lift out from Carrefour (50 riyals). I keep sunblock, hand sanitizer, contact solution, hair bands, hair clips, ointment, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide (small bottle), eye drops, bandaids, tape, and so forth in the bottom. Having stuff in bags helps. Middle layer is tools-- a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, a set of hex wrenches, a small flashlight...
Top layer is fin straps, sun block, cable ties, extra batteries, tyre inflator (things I need most frequently went on top). The toolbox goes in a plastic storage bin (which also has my torches, a snorkel, extra mask, trousers, extra shorts, slates) on a luggage cart, on top of which goes a laundry basket with my kit. Easy to roll to the car.

A good way to build a save-a-dive kit is to think of the things you are always having to pack up for the beach. Sun block-- why pack and unpack, when you can have it always ready to go in a bag? I say 'beach' as that's most of our diving here. If you're on a boat more often, you may modify accordingly. For instance, I probably would put essentials in a bag to go on the boat-- I wouldn't take my actual containers.

The inexpensive tools are good. Dollar store tools would be okay. I used my crescent wrench just last weekend to tighten my SPG-hose connection!