PDA

View Full Version : Steel 62 into doubles?

RoyN
04-01-2008, 16:53
I saw this in craiglist and he is in my area. I'm thinking of making them into doubles. Should I go for it and dump my AL80N? Yay or nay?

http://images.craigslist.org/010102010411011606200803231902c68eec725e544d00cb12 .jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01010301150301040920080323c121721c4472fe8c15008111 .jpg

The guy is selling them for $25, I don't know if its per-tank or both but steel 62? I'm coming up nothing in google when searching for steel 62. Anyways, want to see what you guys have to say about it. I'm not committed to buying the tank at the moment, but if it looks good, I might go for it.

Scuba Tanks (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/615990938.html)

Gombessa
04-01-2008, 18:25
Look at those valves. If you're trying to double them up, you'll probably need to find some vintage 1/2" manifold.

RoyN
04-02-2008, 10:25
You're right Gombessa, that will be a problem with the manifold, still I probably could get a vintage 1/2 manifold...maybe...I don't know..

Yay: 0
Nay: 1

Black-Gorrilla
04-02-2008, 11:10
keep in mind the size, and how it will trim out with you.

skdvr
04-02-2008, 11:22
To me at $25 I think I would pick them up get the Hydro's and if you cannot double them up they would be fine as singles...

I am sure you can find valves for them...

Phil

finflippers
04-02-2008, 11:31
My bet would be that they are steel 72's I never heard of a 62.

You should be able to get the old manifolds on Ebay. Personally I would not do it, but it might be worth it to you.

in_cavediver
04-02-2008, 11:39
A second vote for looking at the valves. They may be 1/2 or they may be 3/4. I can't tell from the photo and don't remember the date ranges of the top of my head.

Still, at $25 each, I'd look at them at least.

Oh, and I think they are 72's but with an original hydro date of 1962

Gombessa
04-02-2008, 12:04
Oh, and I think they are 72's but with an original hydro date of 1962

Agreed. Someone was selling steel 72s with 1/2" valves and these look very similar. Considering the plus rating is next to the 62, I was also thinking these were originally hydro'd 1962 and possibly never again.

CompuDude
04-02-2008, 12:47
I'd pass, personally. Double 72s are ok for practicing, but I'd rather save my money for a real set... and one that uses parts that can migrate forward.

RoyN
04-02-2008, 13:26
Okay, then it it settled then. Thanks guys, I'm going to save my $50 dollars. So far, I'm hearing negative stuff about it so gonna withdrew from it.

Yay: 0
Nay: 6

Crimediver
04-02-2008, 19:45
1 for yay. I would be all over them , especially if they have air in them. I love steel 72 tanks. Sweet bouyancy characteristics. They are 1/2" tapered threads and a vintage manifold is easily obtained. So are 6.9 inch bands to double them up. However you will get no isolator manifolds, more likely j-valve manifold. Reproduction bands and webbing harness are available from Bryan at Vintage Double Hose (http://www.vintagedoublehose.com)

in_cavediver
04-02-2008, 19:48
I'd pass, personally. Double 72s are ok for practicing, but I'd rather save my money for a real set... and one that uses parts that can migrate forward.

Gotta be careful here. I'd like to find a nice set of 3/4" valve 72's. Singles or doubled. I have a lot of tanks and I can see 72's being a nice compact set, either doubled or independents/singles.

Still, I'd want the 3/4" valve not the 1/2"

RoyN
04-02-2008, 20:11
The guy haven't answered my emails nor gave me a call. All he has is the word "scuba toys" on his ad so I'm just going to drop this all together, get the steel 80 double, or a giant HP100 or 120 tank instead. I'm actually reconsidering getting doubles and just going with a giant single tank.

So pretty much this is where it stands

Yay: 1
Nay: 6

CompuDude
04-02-2008, 22:06

Gotta be careful here. I'd like to find a nice set of 3/4" valve 72's. Singles or doubled. I have a lot of tanks and I can see 72's being a nice compact set, either doubled or independents/singles.

There are definitely people who like them. I'm just not among them. Thus, my use of "personally". :)

They have their fans, but any dive needing less than HP100s, and I'm in a single tank, personally... and I don't see any point (again, personally) in diving anything smaller than an HP100. Except for monkey diving with a 40. That's a whole different story!

scubasamurai
04-02-2008, 22:49
the valves alone warrant a nay for me. save your money for something else. remember alot of these craiglisters buy the stuff at garage sales. who really knows what your getting

WD8CDH
04-03-2008, 07:31
Those are steel 72's with 1/2" NPT threads. Vintage divers would be all over them. I would grab them if they weren't 3000 miles away. Even the valves are somewhat in demand on ebay. They make nicely balanced doubles.

mm_dm
04-03-2008, 07:42
Those are steel 72's with 1/2" NPT threads. Vintage divers would be all over them. I would grab them if they weren't 3000 miles away. Even the valves are somewhat in demand on ebay. They make nicely balanced doubles.

I can see their value in this respect, but I think Roy is trying to aim for a set of doubles that he can eventually do tech diving with...at least that's what I garner from previous posts. It seems like these would make a nice, balanced recreational set.

divinginn
04-03-2008, 17:56
72s work great as singles if you can get a good fill on them 27-3000 psi otherwise they are 65 cubic feet at 2250 psi,72 with a plus rating if you can get a plus rated hydro anymore,I cant find one.

ChrisA
04-03-2008, 18:23
Those tanks a great. I have a few. One of the local dive sites has a tall steep walk down and back from parking to water and the dive itself is shalow. Hard to get below 30 feet. At that depth a steel 62 cu ft lasts forever.Steel 72 are good for shallow beach dives. I think they are about one pond negative when near empty. and their total weight is less then an AL80. So you get to take 5 pounds off plus have the lighter tank on your back.
There are some smaller woman who use these as their normal dive tank and still come back with lots of air.

I thought about doubling up two of mine. Would be fun but only as a retro setup with a double hose reg and a backpack. People used double 72 back in the 50's because 72 was the largest tank you could get.

Black-Gorrilla
04-03-2008, 18:56

There are definitely people who like them. I'm just not among them. Thus, my use of "personally". :)

They have their fans, but any dive needing less than HP100s, and I'm in a single tank, personally... and I don't see any point (again, personally) in diving anything smaller than an HP100. Except for monkey diving with a 40. That's a whole different story!

monkey diving? explain please.

Gombessa
04-03-2008, 19:17

Shallow, backplate-sidemount, no wing, no octo, scooter highly recommended :)

CompuDude
04-04-2008, 13:38

Backplate, no wing. Slung tank, usually Al.80 or Al.40. X-Scooter pretty much required. Only "safe" in shallow, good conditions.

FAST. Loads of fun. If only I had a $3.5k scooter...

YouTube - Abby's first Monkey Dive (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0BlVklUY848)

Black-Gorrilla
04-04-2008, 19:57
monkey diving is more for fun that to actually look at anything? just scooting around, at high speeds, with a whole lot of freedom?

CompuDude
04-04-2008, 22:57
monkey diving is more for fun that to actually look at anything? just scooting around, at high speeds, with a whole lot of freedom?

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, but... sorta. Think of it as self-propelled drift diving... while free diving (in the sense of freedom of movement, since there is no little gear).

Black-Gorrilla
04-05-2008, 01:29

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, but... sorta. Think of it as self-propelled drift diving... while free diving (in the sense of freedom of movement, since there is no little gear).

im not knocking it... it looks very fun. i'd like to give that a go some day. that video was pretty cool.

RoyN
04-05-2008, 22:04
Well, CompuDude convinced me to get the Steel100 instead so thats what my mom is ordering. Plus, my transformer logo sticker came home so I'll stick it on the tanks. :D

Black-Gorrilla
04-05-2008, 23:24
yuck, stickers on tanks... no thanks. the only sticker i like seeing on tanks are the "must" haves.... VIP, Nitrox, Oxygen etc... not a fan of stickers (on tanks...)

which steel 100's did you get?

where did you get transformer stickers from?

RoyN
04-06-2008, 00:35
I'm getting the XS-scuba tanks. My parents are ordering it. As for the transformer sticker, its just a small logo of the decepticons.

Willieboy
04-06-2008, 11:39
My bet would be that they are steel 72's I never heard of a 62.

First post here. Hope it's helpful.

I had one of those tanks once. It was the same size as a 72, just rated for 1800 PSI. I decided that if I was going to carry the same weight on my back, it might as well offer 2250 PSI.

WD8CDH
04-11-2008, 09:24
Roy,

I used to dive triple steel 72's with two of them manifolded and the third independant. The manifold was a custom manifold that had two regulator fittings with independant shutoffs but no isolator and held the tanks only about 3/16" apart. The third tank was my "1/3 for emergencies". With the close spaced tanks, the rig was about the same as a pair of larger doubles but closer to my back so it felt much less bulky on my back. I felt that the rig was much safer and easier to use than doubles with an isolator.

Even these days, I would consider some tech diving with them with a close spaced vintage single regulator manifold with a third 72 as a redundant backup as long as at least the main regulator had a safe second.

However you plan to dive, for $25 it's worth it just to have a few spare tanks.

mentalmarine
04-11-2008, 09:27
Roy,

I used to dive triple steel 72's with two of them manifolded and the third independant. The manifold was a custom manifold that had two regulator fittings with independant shutoffs but no isolator and held the tanks only about 3/16" apart. The third tank was my "1/3 for emergencies". With the close spaced tanks, the rig was about the same as a pair of larger doubles but closer to my back so it felt much less bulky on my back. I felt that the rig was much safer and easier to use than doubles with an isolator.

Even these days, I would consider some tech diving with them with a close spaced vintage single regulator manifold with a third 72 as a redundant backup as long as at least the main regulator had a safe second.

However you plan to dive, for $25 it's worth it just to have a few spare tanks.

Spare tanks, what diver in their right mind would want more tanks! :) Let the gear collection begin!