PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Quarry

davis73
04-01-2008, 23:13
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to buy your own quarry? Is it possible,or do you know of someone who has done this? It's a shame all the abandoned spots around here that would be awesome diving but can't get to them.

ketsair
04-02-2008, 06:24
my parents live near parkhills MO, there's quite a few around them, just some various farms that they are on from the old mining days, also i've noticed a few farms on my drive into work that have some small ones. i'd say try to find out what the "hot spot" mining communities were, look for land for sale. both of the ones on my way to work have horses roaming them

FBH1
04-02-2008, 08:26
If there is one in your area that you are looking at and is still in operation, contact the land owners and find out how much longer they are planning on excavating the land. If it is coming close to finishing up, make an offer. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

If you know of one near by that is inactive, you can try to find an owner, usually by going to the courthouse or some other hall of records, and make them an offer.

I also did a quick search on yahoo and found quarriesforsale.com I haven't really gone in depth into this site, but it looks like you can register as a buyer and find out about local quarries for sale.

These are just a few ideas

skdvr
04-02-2008, 10:07
Welcome to the Board Davis73 and Ketsair.

All that I know of that you can do is find out who the owner is and ask if they have any interest in selling. If you start getting your name out there as being an interested buyer maybe something will fall in you lap.

If you are thinking about opening up a quarry as a buisness then there is a lot more money to be spent on getting it ready for divers, insurance, and everything else that goes along with running a buisness. So I would do a lot more research first.

If you just want a piece of land that you and your buddies (and other ST members:smiley20:) can dive then that is a little easier.

Have a good one, and good luck...

Phil

mm2002
04-02-2008, 10:38
The wife and I have actually done a little research on this matter. We're thinking about a retirement business down the road, and I think it would be a lot of fun. This is one list we found: LINK (http://mdc.mo.gov/fish/watershed/elk/watqual/010wqt12.htm)
It would be a matter of finding land owners and striking a deal. You also have to do some research on water tables, and know for a fact that the quarry holds water at a specific level. I have started looking into the details of the Missouri Abandoned Mine Reclamation Act , to see how it would affect the process, but I'm finding it mainly has to do with coal mines. It's a very interesting idea.

jawisa1
04-02-2008, 13:14
I was able to get the Missouri Department of Natural resources to give me a listing of both active and abandonded mines in the state. The list is quite extensive and contains almost 2000 sites. I would be happy to e-mail you anyone interested in checking it out. The list contains the locations, owners, descriptions and coordinates so it can be looked up.

K9Pig
04-03-2008, 01:04
Maybe something else to think about is water samples when/if you find a spot to place a bid on. A friend and I were looking at a place that would be a perfect dive spot, but it also became a local dump site for various things illegally. If the water is contaminated by run-off this may be cause for concern to dive the location. Don't want the EPA to shut you down before your dream becames reality.
just my .02

Also davis73 welcome to the ST!!!

cummings66
04-03-2008, 07:49
I would be happy to e-mail you anyone interested in checking it out. The list contains the locations, owners, descriptions and coordinates so it can be looked up.

Send it to me, just pm it. Thanks.

davis73
04-05-2008, 01:14
Thanks for all the information,I will check into it more.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:21
I would be happy to e-mail you anyone interested in checking it out. The list contains the locations, owners, descriptions and coordinates so it can be looked up.

I am always interested in finding new dive sites for my group, would you send me the list?

shawnwill36
10-30-2008, 10:42
if you are wanting to do that you should look in oklahoma, there are no dive parks and a person could make a small fortune. you just have to find a quarry and figure out who the owner is