PDA

View Full Version : Having your tanks EAN cleaned!

CODMAN
04-02-2008, 08:41
Hi all, my two AL80 tanks are due for their hydrostatic test this year and at the same time I wanted to have them O2 cleaned for Nitrox use since they are going to be opening and inspecting them anyways. What in general does an O2 cleaning cost (or how much labour does it take) and how many seals need to be replaced with Viton at the same time? They have Yoke valves.

I'm just wondering what to expect. Unfortunately, shipping them to scubatoys would be cost prohibitive, so this is one for the LDS!!!:smiley2:

Thanks all!:smiley20:

fireflock
04-02-2008, 09:21
First off, you don't _NEED_ to have them cleaned to use Nitrox.

You do need them cleaned if they will ever be in contact with high % of O2. Some fill stations make nitrox by first adding 100% O2 and then putting air on top of that. For those stations, tanks need to be O2 clean.

There are other, arguably better and safer, ways to make Nitrox, and your tank will never be in contact with high O2 %'s.

I have never cleaned my tanks, I use them for Nitrox and Air, and I get fills from places that bank nitrox instead of mixing it in the tank. There are a couple of places around me that still use partial pressure blending, but not many.

skdvr
04-02-2008, 10:01
It just depends on where you are at for cost. At my LDS it is $25 for tank and $25 for the valve.

All the the shops around here do Partial Pressure fills so if you want NITROX you need to have your tanks O2 cleaned. Some parts of the world Pre Mix is more common and you do not need your tanks O2 cleaned.

If you do get them O2 cleaned you just have to be careful about getting your tanks filled with regular air because it can negate the O2 cleaning and you will have to get it done over again. All you have to look for at the fill station is their air grading report and it should be "Modified Grade E". As long as they are using Modified Grade E air then you can get a regular air fill without negating the O2 cleaning...

Phil

CODMAN
04-02-2008, 12:15
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that my LDS uses partiel pressure blending and even their regular air fills are EAN clean. So yes, I do need to get them cleaned. 50$ a tank, eh? :smiley19: Hmmm... well, I'll have to ask my LDS about it since they will have them open anyways for the hydro tests... At least if I always have them filled there, I won,t need to have the tanks recleaned!

Thanks for your help!:smiley20::smiley20:

mike_s
04-02-2008, 12:19
I've seen O2 cleaning run from $15 a tank to $50 a tank. It all depends on what is done and what is included.

Those that ran $15 a tank did usually not include the visual, which averages $10 more for example.

Higher prices ones typically include rebuilding your valve (if required) with o2 clean viaton (sp?) o-rings. If you have a newer valve that has these o-rings, they might just need cleaned. all depends.

ScaredSilly
04-04-2008, 20:31
DYI

OxyHacker's Guide -

Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers (http://www.airspeedpress.com)

CODMAN
04-07-2008, 09:57
Very interesting... I might just have to get myself a copy...:smiley20:

Only problem is I doubt my LDS will accept to fill my tanks with Nitrox unless they have been officially cleaned beforehand...:smilie40:

DYI

OxyHacker's Guide -

Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers (http://www.airspeedpress.com)

skdvr
04-07-2008, 10:02

Only problem is I doubt my LDS will accept to fill my tanks with Nitrox unless they have been officially cleaned beforehand...:smilie40:

DYI

OxyHacker's Guide -

Take the class then...

I am taking my DSAT Gas Blender course this week and I cannot wait. There was a lot of good info in the book and I hope that the class is even better. I will be getting a copy of the Oxy Hacker's Guide at some point. My wife would not let me buy it because she wanted it to give to family for b-day ideas.

Phil

bkp
04-07-2008, 10:55
Just had two of mine done for $40/tank.

My LDS banks, and *still* won't fill Nitrox without a current EAN clean sticker.

CODMAN
04-07-2008, 12:53
Actually, while I was doing my DM course, the dive op also tought me to blend... All I would have needed to do was a little bookwork. But the cost of the course was too much at the time and my finances didn,' allow it (I already had 4 other courses to pay for). Oh well... I guess I'll have them cleaned and keep them clean...:smiley20:

DYI

OxyHacker's Guide -

Take the class then...

I am taking my DSAT Gas Blender course this week and I cannot wait. There was a lot of good info in the book and I hope that the class is even better. I will be getting a copy of the Oxy Hacker's Guide at some point. My wife would not let me buy it because she wanted it to give to family for b-day ideas.

Phil

cummings66
04-07-2008, 18:04
The blending course is more than how to blend, it goes into other areas of the art that concern safety and how to insure it.

Blending is easy, most of the vplanner type programs would even tell you how much O2 to add based on what's in the tank already. It's the stuff that goes boom that they really want you to know about.

CODMAN
04-08-2008, 07:15
Yup, I got lots of instruction on that stuff too! there was not really much missing for the course to be complete... But honnestly, i didn,t have the $$ to pay for the course and the card, so... I know I could do the course easily is ever I needed or wanted to. I didn't find it very hard... But since I'm not going to be working as a gas blender or in a dive shop, paying for the course isn't very usefull for me...:smiley20:

The blending course is more than how to blend, it goes into other areas of the art that concern safety and how to insure it.

Blending is easy, most of the vplanner type programs would even tell you how much O2 to add based on what's in the tank already. It's the stuff that goes boom that they really want you to know about.

Crimediver
04-08-2008, 08:11
I don't like partial pressure blending. My LDS blew up about a year ago. Moved walls, caught fire and the ceiling came down. I know it can be done safely but too many variables can go wrong if a person gets distracted. If your LDS does partial pressure fills I would recommend sending your wife in to get the fills for you.

skdvr
04-08-2008, 09:58
If your LDS does partial pressure fills I would recommend sending your wife in to get the fills for you.

:smiley36::smilie39::smiley32:

Phil

in_cavediver
04-08-2008, 11:15
.... If your LDS does partial pressure fills I would recommend sending your wife in to get the fills for you.

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while....

just don't let my wife see it!

cummings66
04-08-2008, 11:46
Nor mine, she thinks it's bad enough to dive. I don't want her to think how dangerous getting PP fills are too.

CompuDude
04-08-2008, 13:24
Nor mine, she thinks it's bad enough to dive. I don't want her to think how dangerous getting PP fills are too.

No kidding. I'm already banned from caves because I foolishly joked ONCE about how nuts those cave divers were, and how dangerous it was.

Thank god she has no idea that wrecks are just as bad!

cummings66
04-08-2008, 18:55
Yeah, you've got to watch the comments around them. My Mother in law asked my wife once if I had any "safe" hobbies.

My hobbies are flying, diving, target shooting, and reloading the bullets for that. I suppose flying model airplanes is a hobby but I don't do that much now. All of which have serious potential for injury. She's not a fan.