PDA

View Full Version : Ok to Get in a Sauna Room after Diving?

lillucky6363
04-02-2008, 19:39
I find that sitting in a Sauna or steam room to be very relaxing. Everytime that I go on dive trips I find myself staying at a hotel that has a Sauna and or a steam room. My question is ,"Is it Ok to get in a high heat situation before totally decompressed?" Will it hurt or help? Any thoughts, questions or comments would be great......Thanks

DevilDiver
04-02-2008, 19:53
I do not think that a sauna is a good idea. I read a story of a diver that took a hit because of getting in the hot tub after diving. I am sure this would be the same.

DevilDiver
04-02-2008, 20:02
As far as the poll.........

They say men think about sex ervey 8 seconds. So if I have been diving I have lost time to make up for!!:sex2:

Beer and sleep are tied for second!! :spin:

hoobascooba
04-02-2008, 20:12
i wouldn't know about sauna use after diving.

DevilDiver: what do you mean by "took a hit"?

and where is the "all of the above" on the poll??

fisheater
04-02-2008, 20:21
According to DAN, anything that changes your blood circulation patterns is "contraindicated" after a dive (or during one). Hence, hot tubs and hot showers are on the "no-no" list.

A sauna would cause your body to vasodialate to maintain body temperature. Further, you would tend to become dehydrated through sweating. That's another "no-no."

Personally, I'd pass on the saunas, at least until my "no fly" time is up.

mike_s
04-02-2008, 20:34

My thoughts exactly!

Beaucoupfishies
04-02-2008, 21:56
According to DAN, anything that changes your blood circulation patterns is "contraindicated" after a dive (or during one). Hence, hot tubs and hot showers are on the "no-no" list.

A sauna would cause your body to vasodialate to maintain body temperature. Further, you would tend to become dehydrated through sweating. That's another "no-no."

Wouldn't sex vasodialate you and make you dehydrated too? :smiley36:

Osprey
04-02-2008, 21:58

:smiley20:

CompuDude
04-02-2008, 21:59

Agreed.

For me, it's all about a power nap. :D

And THEN, all of the above!

DollFin
04-02-2008, 22:13

:smiley20:

Agreed!!!

scubasamurai
04-02-2008, 22:45
been diving for yrs and doing the hot tub and of course have no "hits" but can't explain the funny slurred speech after the hot tub !!!

fisheater
04-02-2008, 23:41

Wouldn't sex vasodialate you and make you dehydrated too? :smiley36:

Yes. But who'd care?

navyhmc
04-03-2008, 03:18
Sauna immediately after diving is definitely on my "not to do" list. I won't go as far as to wait until my no fly time is up-on a long trip that's not until the end. Last time I did jump into a sauna after a day of diving it was about 6 hours after the last dive. By then, I figured that I'd off-gassed enough to be safe.

I also vote for all the above. Since that wasn't available, I went with eat. A snack is an important part of any surface interval, especially in cold water diving which is most of my dives.

DevilDiver
04-03-2008, 08:14
Sorry.... "Took a hit" meanning DCS.

The story was in Scuba Diving's "Lessons for Life" maybe a year or two ago. I believe it went like- Divers return to the resort, jump into the hot tub and one guy passes out but the others were fine.

Damselfish
04-03-2008, 08:42
The theory is that hot tubs are not a good idea right after diving, a sauna would not be any better. Of course its somewhat theoretical like most of this stuff and people will argue both ways. Personally I don't jump into a hot tub right after diving. I don't feel a need to wait until no fly time is up, but I'll jump in some hours later. Like an evening dip after afternoon dives.

I hate saunas anyway. Just don't get the appeal.