PDA

View Full Version : ..and the fees go on...

PlatypusMan
04-03-2008, 10:26
Delta is increasing certain fees as of April 1--and it's no joke.

http://consumerist.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Delta_fee_increases%5B1%5D.pdf

BTW: anyone notice that three airlines have gone Tango Uniform this week?

ATA, Champion Air, and Aloha have all augered in via bankruptcy.

PPM

Zenagirl
04-03-2008, 16:06
It seems as though the airlines are choosing to nickel and dime the customer rather than simply raising the base fares for everyone. Guess the slowing economy and fuel prices are hurting us all....one way or another.

terrillja
04-03-2008, 16:23
The one i find suspect is how all the airlines announce that they are shutting their operations down the next day. Obviously they knew for a while they were in trouble, it might be a nice bit of courtesy to give a heads up to people who thought they would be able to fly.

Also, if you want your $$ back, you have to go after the airline in bankruptcy court. That'll be a PITA.

BuzzGA
04-03-2008, 23:22
My biggest disappointment is ATA, we were able to fly from Phoenix to Hawaii direct for 350-400 bucks round trip. It is going to make hopping over to see friends/dive for a long weekend a lot harder to do

mitchy
04-04-2008, 13:42
Air Canada just announced that for $35 per ticket you can get better customer service. It's an option when purchasing a ticket.

scubasavvy
04-04-2008, 14:01
Air Canada just announced that for $35 per ticket you can get better customer service. It's an option when purchasing a ticket.

I shouldn't have to pay for good customer service. If airlines and most other businesses weren't so concerned about trying to beat their customers over the head for money and concentrated on better customer service and gaining customer loyalty...they wouldn't have to worry about profits. Scuba Toys is a prime example of a company who treats their customers like gold and in turn, I don't think they worry very much about profits...

Beaucoupfishies
04-04-2008, 16:12

New for 2008- Comfortseats!(tm)

Comfortseats are the new feature for the discriminating flyer. For only $49.99, you get to sit in a chair during the entire length of your flight! Seats are pre-worn in for that at home feel and are all certified antiques from retired aircraft. Now you too can pretend to be flying during the heyday of travel.

And you'll need to pretend to be elsewhere so you can forget that you're crammed like cattle aboard your economy flight! :smilie39:

EuphoriaII
04-04-2008, 16:52

PPM
Any links to that story? Are they out of business or just bankruptcy reorganizing? Champions and ATA have always been the low cost charters for us out of Oklahoma City and Dallas.
I think my wife is flying Champion tomorrow morning when she heads to Mexico.

jtkkym
04-04-2008, 16:59
High fuel cost hurts everyone. Airlines have to make money somehow but it sucks. Only thing it doesn't go up much is the numbers on my paycheck :(

diversteve
04-05-2008, 22:17
[Any links to that story? Are they out of business or just bankruptcy reorganizing? Champions and ATA have always been the low cost charters for us out of Oklahoma City and Dallas.
I think my wife is flying Champion tomorrow morning when she heads to Mexico.

Bloomington, MN – (March 31, 2008) – Champion Air announced today that it will cease flight operations May 31, 2008.
Champion Air - PressRoom (http://www.championair.com/PressRoom.asp?PressReleaseID=21)

Skybus also just went down today.
Skybus - Announcement (http://www.skybus.com/)

ATA went down Wednesday.

After filing for Chapter 11 on April 2, 2008 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Indianapolis, IN, ATA Airlines has discontinued all operations and cancelled all current and future flights. Following the loss of a key contract for our military charter business, it became impossible for ATA to continue operations. Unfortunately, we were not in a position to provide our customers or others with advance notice.
ATA Airlines (http://www.ata.com/)

matt151617
04-06-2008, 23:48

LMAO! That's the airlines for ya!

Zenagirl
04-07-2008, 07:44
Continental just jumped on the bandwagon with the $25 for a 2nd bag.

snarkyone
04-07-2008, 21:48
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Hawaiian Air doesn't jump on this bandwagon until after May 13th. Of course, on second thought, maybe I should keep my fingers crossed that Hawaiian Air doesn't FOLD before May 13th :smiley5:

obrules15
04-08-2008, 07:25
With four days until I leave for Cozumel, I keep having nightmares that the Major Airline I am booked on will kick up it's toes and cease operations before I leave (note I am not worried that they will do that while I am down there). I know it is not going to happen but you cannot control your subconscious.

cgvmer
04-08-2008, 07:39
The airline industry is worse than used car dealers. Try to find a ticket price for a flight they have 5 different fares depending on when you purchase, how you purchase or what the third letter in your last name is. It is like voodoo magic.

I travel for work, more than I care too, and I see prices making little or no sense. A flight to Florida with a stop-over in Atlanta is half the price of a flight to Atlanta.....this doesn't make sense.

If the airlines could produce a fee structure that made sense, and didn't fluctuate wildly more people would be willing to pay reasonable airfares, but as it stands now most people think they are getting ripped off by the airlines.

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 20:40
Somebody has to pay for the war!

Duckydiver
09-01-2008, 10:15
So Basicaly, The airlines are charging for every little thing.
Sounds like PADI will be getting into the airline buisness.:smilie39:

(I'm Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll be good now)

Rileybri
09-01-2008, 10:26
High fuel cost hurts everyone. Airlines have to make money somehow but it sucks. Only thing it doesn't go up much is the numbers on my paycheck :(

This all true however I just don't understand the rationale behind the nickle and dimming of the customer. I would rather see a fare that was $350 listed as $500 rather than listing it as $375 than add on five or six "surcharges". Who do they think they are kidding? I saw that South West (i think) has gone to a flat rate fare and added on all there charges at the get go. Every airline should follow suit!

thagar
09-01-2008, 16:42
I knew the PADI jokes were coming.

shovelhead91701
09-01-2008, 16:46
Delta is increasing certain fees as of April 1--and it's no joke.

http://consumerist.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Delta_fee_increases%5B1%5D.pdf

PPM

Tango Uniform! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:
I haven't heard that one since I was in the Infantry! Thanks for making my day!

emcbride81
09-01-2008, 17:05

This all true however I just don't understand the rationale behind the nickle and dimming of the customer. I would rather see a fare that was $350 listed as $500 rather than listing it as $375 than add on five or six "surcharges". Who do they think they are kidding? I saw that South West (i think) has gone to a flat rate fare and added on all there charges at the get go. Every airline should follow suit!

I agree completely...I think most intelligent people can see that the increase in gas prices will effect the airline industry, forcing them to raise prices. I would much rather know what I am paying up front...if you need to charge me $500 to get me from DC to Coz and make a profit, then DO IT...don't start me at 325 and work the price up...that seems shady...and like others have said, it hurts the trust level.

mitsuguy
09-02-2008, 07:01
Southwest Airlines - No Fees (http://www.southwest.com/nofees/?src=e090208)

http://www.southwest.com/images/landing/nofees_feesdontflywithus.gif

It's a shame they don't fly everywhere...

mike_s
09-02-2008, 09:17
Has Southwest's fuel contract expired? if so, I expect them to be raising fees pretty much as soon as it expires.

mike_s
09-02-2008, 09:19
also...

Delta has increased their fee for freequent flyer tickets now.

Previously, as long as you booked 21 days in advance, all you had to pay was the 9/11 security fees which typically was about $10 per ticket.

They are now charging a $25 fuel surcharge on FF tickets, plus some other BS fee, plus the 9/11 fee. So your frequent Flyer "free" ticket now cost a minimum of $49 bucks....

they just love to screw their loyal customers huh?

oddbod
09-02-2008, 19:32
I knew the PADI jokes were coming.

About time I've been missing them:smiley31:

thagar
09-02-2008, 19:42
When I read the 9/11 security fees I was thinking the phone number not the date. I thought why would you need 911 on a plane?

cowgirldiver
09-03-2008, 08:57
What I hate is when you are on the airline website-you're checking prices-find a decent fare and then when you go to the next step theys-oops! that fare is no longer available!!! In the 2 seconds it took to go to the next page the fare has changed!!

megzuwo
09-03-2008, 09:08
I think I just stopped breathing for a good 5 minutes there after reading about ATA!! I JUST bought tickets for 3 of my friends and myself to head to the Keys in November on Air Trans Airway (didn't know if it was abbreviated as ATA)...holy crap, it's not ATA. Don't worry...I'm breathing again.

thagar
09-04-2008, 20:29
I fly as little as possible. I can't stand TSA, pretty soon there will be a fee for them as well.

Coaster
09-04-2008, 21:06
I fly as little as possible. I can't stand TSA, pretty soon there will be a fee for them as well.

I think there already is a fee.

thagar
09-04-2008, 21:48

I wouldn't doubt it. The more you pay the more rude they get. My company did testing for some of the airports. I get all the TSA failure emails. You'd be suprised at how often they fail. You would think that as big of heads as some of them have they would be a little better at their job. Don't get me wrong I have met some plensent TSA agents, but I have also dealt with some extreamly rude ones.

tfd86
09-05-2008, 08:45
speaking of TSA I visulized one of their group shopping in a store in uniform. would to have loved to be cashier line time would have increased and they could have paid sans shoes

lucidblue
09-05-2008, 14:12
Just received this email from Continental:

Effective Oct. 7, 2008, customers will be charged $15 for their first checked bag (http://email.continental.com/servlet/cc6?JHQUADAQSRVklHJLPkuploTWxnuHptQJhuVaVWVwvGy611 Xv3f7G0V9vTYBTYS) when traveling on tickets purchased on or after Sept. 5, 2008, within the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

The service fee will not apply to EliteAccess® customers, including those seated in First or BusinessFirst®, OnePass Elite and SkyTeam® Elite members, customers traveling on full-fare economy (Y) class tickets, or military personnel and their families traveling on official orders.

Luckily, it doesn't apply to my trip to Cozumel October 8.

thagar
09-06-2008, 16:46
so it doesn't apply to business or economy classes, then who does it apply to?

John Yaskowich
09-07-2008, 11:20
so it doesn't apply to business or economy classes, then who does it apply to?
Anyone who got any sort of discount from a full fair economy class seat. I can just see it: "we discounted your ticket by 50 cents, you now owe us $15 for that bag. Have a nice flight, sucker!"

freeski4ever
09-07-2008, 12:33
I can't stand the airline industry. The only carrier who is actually worth anything anymore is Southwest. I wish Southwest would start flying to Mexico.

Brandon Belew
09-07-2008, 13:40
I'm sitting at the kalamazoo airport right now - there were some american eagle price raises ( 15$ for every checked bag ) or something like that. Weren't too many happy people checking in while I was waiting 30+ minutes for someone to come to the United desk to check me in...

On another note - it doesn't appear United has changed prices yet. But if they did - maybe if they didn't over book flights and have to give people vouchers for free flights they could afford something....

fire diver
09-07-2008, 13:48
This is what I don't understand about the airlines. I have only been on one flight in years that wasn't booked solid, and that was a red-eye. They routinely overbook every single flight. How can they be losing billions of dollars? If any of them are operating below the actual operating costs, then they are violating federal laws. No business is allowed to operated at a loss to try to win competition for business.

thagar
09-07-2008, 19:23
I don't understand that either. At those prices and garbage fees how can they still be losing money. They must the worst run industry in the world. I do know TSA is the worst run agency in the world.

matt151617
09-07-2008, 23:39
It has nothing to do with the fees. It has to do with the fact that a base fair is about the same price it was when gas was $1/gallon. A jet uses like 10,000 gallons of fuel on a cross-country trip. Now think about it... when jet fuel was $3/gallon, it cost them $30,000 for fuel. Now its like $8/gallon, so that same trip is costing them an additional $50,000 per flight... that's a huge difference. There is ALOT of flights every day. International flights, it's even worse.

Flfiremedic
09-08-2008, 01:10
I get 200K Air miles a year...Delta treats me the best of all of them...as far as Air Canada goes, I actually had my company change a ticket for me IN THE AIRPORT after the way I was treated by Air Canada.

Daz
09-08-2008, 01:42
I'm sitting at the kalamazoo airport right now - there were some american eagle price raises ( 15$ for every checked bag ) or something like that. Weren't too many happy people checking in while I was waiting 30+ minutes for someone to come to the United desk to check me in...

On another note - it doesn't appear United has changed prices yet. But if they did - maybe if they didn't over book flights and have to give people vouchers for free flights they could afford something....United now charges $15 for the first checked bag...

Flfiremedic
09-08-2008, 04:57

I wouldn't doubt it. The more you pay the more rude they get. My company did testing for some of the airports. I get all the TSA failure emails. You'd be suprised at how often they fail. You would think that as big of heads as some of them have they would be a little better at their job. Don't get me wrong I have met some plensent TSA agents, but I have also dealt with some extreamly rude ones.

Obviously you don't do much flying internationally. TSA has there stuff together compared to most...esp when compared to Africa and CDG in France.

thagar
09-19-2008, 19:37
United has increased their second bag fee to $50 one way.

Brian Sharpe
09-25-2008, 09:07

Don't you just love Scare Canada! If it weren't for Aeroplan points.........

I did have a buddy of mine stuck in London for 4 days involuntarily with a Zoom return ticket!

thagar
09-27-2008, 12:35
I could think of worse places to be stuck in.

coral cowgirl
09-29-2008, 21:05
I noticed my rewards system with Wells Fargo upped the required points for certain air travel rewards.......hope it's not a trend.

bane51031
12-11-2008, 19:24
Can't complain here wife works for NWA now Delta and I fly free, it is stand by but, have yet to be bumped and no limit on my bag weight as I fly stand by and the bags go on the same plane.

God I love my wife......

ektess1
12-11-2008, 20:12
How about a straight fee based on the weight of what you bring on the plane. You bring 300 lbs on board; it cost you $200. You bring 450 lbs on board; it cost you $300. etc.. Oh, and the part that will get people screaming is that the weight includes you.
I guarantee its on the way as soon as they can spin it PC.