PDA

View Full Version : Diving in Kona

Otter
04-03-2008, 13:32
Hi everybody,

I'll be making a trip to the Big Island in 3 weeks and doing both a morning two tank and the night (Manta Ray) two tank dives. :smiley20:
I was wondering if anyone has had any exerience with Bottom Time Hawaii? They are the dive shop in my hotel. Or if there are any other recommended dive shops? I will need to rent most of the gear.
Also, what would be the proper wetsuit thickness for Kona diving in April - May?

Thanks.

Kolohe_Diver
04-03-2008, 14:55
Hey Otter,

I cannot comment on any operators on the Big Island as all of my Hawaii Diving has been on the other islands (Maui, Kauai & Oahu). After your trip, could you post a review of which ever operator you go with. I am headed to the Big Island the end of May and would appreciate the info.

As for wetsuits. I am a SoCal diver, like you, and am use to diving with a 7mm or Dry Suit on. The current water temp should be running right around the 75*F range, so nice and toasty for you and I. Typically I go with a 3mm shorty for single or shore dives, and a 3mm full for boats or multiple dive situations.

Enjoy your trip, and Aloha!

DiverBoy100
04-03-2008, 15:13
I have not dived with bottom time hawaii...but i have heard nothing but things from them...the dive operation i dive with dive Dive Makai and jacks diving locker...i dive with a 5mil with a 3mil hooded vest...but if you are just doing a few dives a 3mil should do you justice

Otter
04-03-2008, 18:23
Kohole Diver,

Yes, I will post a review when I get back the week of May 5th. Stay tuned...

Diver Boy,

You've heard nothing but ??? from Bottom Time? You left out good or bad.
I was considering Jacks but they seem more expensive and Bottom Time is right in my hotel, very convenient.

Thanks, I was thinking of going with a 3mm full suit.

fisheater
04-03-2008, 22:18
Jack's Dive Locker is in the middle of "downtown" and is highly regarded.

leesanhua
04-17-2008, 04:42
I been there before. i went for Kona Honu Divers. they did a pretty good job. i like them. Kona Honu Divers - Kona Coast Diving, World Famous Manta Ray Night Dives (http://www.konahonudivers.com/index.shtml)

Hawaii Wade
04-19-2008, 21:21
Jack's Dive Locker only shop on the big island worth diving with! Jef and Terri will take great care of you!

Otter
04-21-2008, 12:22
Thanks everyone.
From what I've read it sounds like you can't go wrong with the top 3 or 4 dive operators. I leave this Friday (25th) and still need to make dive reservations, which I will do in the next day or two. When I get back I'll post, in this thread, who I dove with and a short review.

Otter
05-05-2008, 15:59
OK. For those that care - I chose Bottom Time Hawaii for the convenience (free ride from hotel). I did two morning dives and the two tank Manta dive, which is a 1 tank evening dive and 1 tank Manta Dive. The boat was nice, clean and organized. The rental gear was in very good shape. The crew was also good, but what I've read from reviews on the other major dive operators in Kona, maybe they weren't as "personable". Although, that dosen't mean they were not nice or accommodating.
Overall I would recommend a dive with Bottom Time.
Also I highly recommend the Manta Ray dive. We had a show with 6 to 8 rays and a moray eel "Frank". It was one the the most incredible experiences I've ever had. And a dive that will be very tough to beat.
DON'T MISS IT!!!

57ChevyGreg
08-23-2008, 21:34
Jack's Dive Locker only shop on the big island worth diving with! Jef and Terri will take great care of you!

I dove with Jack's in late May for the MantaRay night dive. I will never use Jack's again. I have been diving for 36 years with countless operators around the world and they were the worst I have ever dove with. The dive leader was a speed demon who would leave you behind if you spent ANY time looking around, the sandwiches were dry,and they RAN OUT OF WATER TO DRINK! How does a dive boat run out of water???? I grew up diving in Hawaii on Oahu, have made several trips to Kauai, Maui and the Big Island and will be going back, but I will find a different operator in Kona.

indatexas
08-24-2008, 14:44
I was just there a couple of weeks ago and used Jack's Diving Locker. My second choice would have been Big Island Divers.

Did a 2 tank dive, one of which was the Manta Ray dive. Pretty good, they even changed out the tanks and rinsed our gear for us. Price was 145 plus another 45 for a digital camera rental. I had brought all of my own gear, sans weights as they also had a hugh selection of weights to choose from, as I'm picky about my lead distribution.

My only complaint was that they didn't like Zeagle gear at their shop, one of their workers said they would never stock the stuff. Stuck me as odd until I reached the parking lot and saw the huge Scubapro sign hung from the swimming pool fence.