PDA

View Full Version : Octo Z Suggested Accessory

Warby
08-01-2007, 23:10
I have recently bought a Octo-Z which works really well and I am really pleased with it. As per the instructions, I keep it connected to my first stage and remove it from the BC for storage. This leaves my BC Inflator hose with a open end when stored in my bag and although I'm probably being over cautious, I would like to see a cap of some kind to keep the hose covered. Scott if you read this, any chance Zeagle could ship the Octo Z with a 'dust cap' for this purpose?

Many Thanks

Warby

bperrybap
08-01-2007, 23:29
Given that the threads are the same as a garden hose,
I'm sure you could easily find something to screw
on to the BC hose connection at Lowes or HD.

--- bill

ScottZeagle
08-02-2007, 08:32
We are working on a way to keep everyone happy....

I'll update you as soon as I can...but for now I have to keep quiet.

;)

Warby
08-02-2007, 17:58
Sounds interesting, thanks Scott!

paintsnow
08-02-2007, 18:52
actually the hose itself wont work with anything other than a hose.

for the open part of the Octo-z where the hose screws into i got a normal plastic hose cap thing.

For the hose itself i purchased a male valve so that i could blow up the bladder a little bit and then close the valve.

well the piece of plastic that sticks out past the threads doesn't allow a valve to be screwed in because of the way the opening in the valve gets smaller and the plastic piece doesn't fit inside.

The only way i can think of to close the hose is to cut off the end of a garden hose, then use a clamp kit thing they sell for fixing hoses to attach a female end to it and screw a valve in, successfully making a 6 inch garden hose.

OR
you could wait for zeagle to finish making their own little device which will no doubt look better and be cheaper than buying a new hose just to cut into it.

Brewer
08-02-2007, 19:45
At lowes they have quick disconnects that go on garden hoses. Get a a male thread with the disconnect mechonisim ( its like an air chuck) that you cant see through. Some have a lock so water cant pass through then its disconnected. Its concidered the female piece of the pair. then get 2 male parts that go into that female piece, one with male thread and one with female thread. put the " female piece" on your inflator hose and then screw the 2 male pieces togather. Put the 2 male pieces into the female and give it a good blow and disconnect it . then you can store the bladder with some air in it.
Good luck hope i explained it good enough for ya

DougNR
08-02-2007, 21:08
I went through a few of the suggestions here after getting my Octo-Z. What seems to work pretty well for now at least is a plain 'ol cork. I don't need much pressure in it after it has dried so a good breath of air and slap in the cork just enough to hold the inside surfaces apart.

creggur
08-03-2007, 10:31
I own two Octo-Z's and would like a factory autherized option for this as well...Just don't want to do anything to damage the hose, or my warranty...

Warby
08-10-2007, 21:33
Thanks for all the suggestions, in the end I found a perfect solution in Ace Hardware for $2 (are they nationwide?)
If you have an Octo Z, get one of these, its hard to imagine how a custom gadget could work any better!
It fits my BC hose perfectly and even has a open/close tap so you can inflate it enough with a few breaths and just close the tap off for an airtight seal.

Like I said it sells at ACE Hardware and is called a "Hose Adapter Shut Off Valve" product number 71321. Barcode number is 0 82901 71321 0.

Works like a dream for $2, can you tell I'm excited?

Maybe I need to get out more........

creggur
08-11-2007, 11:14
Thanks for all the suggestions, in the end I found a perfect solution in Ace Hardware for $2 (are they nationwide?)
If you have an Octo Z, get one of these, its hard to imagine how a custom gadget could work any better!
It fits my BC hose perfectly and even has a open/close tap so you can inflate it enough with a few breaths and just close the tap off for an airtight seal.

Like I said it sells at ACE Hardware and is called a "Hose Adapter Shut Off Valve" product number 71321. Barcode number is 0 82901 71321 0.

Thanks for the update, we have ACE here, so I'll check that out.. I like the idea of keeping my inflator with my regs..

Warby
08-12-2007, 13:09
Let me know how you get on with it, I dont think you'll be disappointed!

creggur
08-12-2007, 14:44
I plan on picking it up one day after work this week, and I'll let you know.. Thanks again for letting us know about your find!!

boarder06
08-12-2007, 19:26
Is this the item in question?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272506&cp&kw=71321&origkw=71321&sr=1

It is listed for $30.13, quite a bit more than the quoted $2 :-)

creggur
08-12-2007, 20:45
Is this the item in question?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272506&cp&kw=71321&origkw=71321&sr=1

It is listed for $30.13, quite a bit more than the quoted $2 :-)

Looks like that $30.00 is for a 12 pack of them on the site, which would put them at about 2.50 a piece..

Warby
08-12-2007, 21:16
Thats the item! I was slightly confused about the price until I saw it was a bulk buy!
They also do it in stainless steel but thats a whopping $1-2 more, start saving up!

boarder06
08-13-2007, 18:04
Looks like that $30.00 is for a 12 pack of them on the site, which would put them at about 2.50 a piece..

Oops, my bad. Says it right there in the headline :-)

Brewer
08-19-2007, 20:25

Thats what I've been talking about all along

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 20:29
Wonder if ScottZeagle will support this solution as not voiding any warranties

creggur
08-19-2007, 21:13
If you're allowed to hook a garden hose up and flood water through it, I don't see why they would care if you use a piece of plastic with a valve in it to hold a little air in the bladder...

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't make much sense..

ScottZeagle
08-20-2007, 09:56
Wonder if ScottZeagle will support this solution as not voiding any warranties

I can't see any reason why using that would void the warranty...

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 09:59
Ok there's the answer, good!

JugglingMonkeys
08-20-2007, 12:33
wonderful!
thanks!