PDA

View Full Version : my tooth hurts

ketsair
04-03-2008, 19:11
ok, so for a long time when i'm under water not very far, one of my back teeth feels like it's going to explode...had a dentist appt not lang ago, no cavities found, my brother had the same thing, when he went into the army, they found a cavity. anyone else have this issue? other possibilities?

mocepts
04-03-2008, 19:15
Check this site out.

Dentistry and Diving (http://www.scuba-doc.com/dendiv.htm)

ketsair
04-03-2008, 19:44
why's there got to be all those big words... awesome link though.... if i could only read it.... i'll have one of the med peeps @ work decipher it for me....hahahaha

scubasamurai
04-03-2008, 19:47
great another thing to worry about. i have two crowns but one is on the new side. i know one made it to 100ft with no problem hahah well see about the other one at least that one has a very good fit
neat site

Splitlip
04-03-2008, 20:05
simply, if a cavity allows air/gas to enter during descent and cannot adequately allow the air/gas to escape during ascent, it will hurt and your tooth can explode.
(I hate it when that happens)
Boyles Law. remember?

ketsair
04-03-2008, 20:21
simply, if a cavity allows air/gas to enter during descent and cannot adequately allow the air/gas to escape during ascent, it will hurt and your tooth can explode.
(I hate it when that happens)
Boyles Law. remember?

lol, that was kind of an eye opener...

Splitlip
04-03-2008, 20:30
It's twoo, it's twoo.

moosicman
04-03-2008, 20:51
There is another possibility, although it may also be on the linked website and I've not followed it yet, BUT: if your sinuses become inflammed or abnormal in any way they may put pressure on a nerve that runs above the teeth, causing them to feel bruised or achey. The feeling can also be described as pressure on your teeth. I usually get this after a really bad cold or sinus infection (note that I said AFTER but sometimes during). I've not had it happen while diving so this may not be a likely candidate, but it could be. Just FYI!:D

Splitlip
04-03-2008, 20:54
That is true as well.

Black-Gorrilla
04-03-2008, 22:30
can your tooth really explode?

ketsair
04-04-2008, 06:11

sometimes feels like mine is & that's & less than 20 feet... i'd imagine it's very possible lower

Splitlip
04-04-2008, 17:37

Most of the incidents of exploding teeth I have heard have been 3rd party. (Like the military diver whose tooth exploded in a chamber). One of my early instructors told us one of his students suffered this
I knew one diver who had a filling blow out.
Given the physics if it all, I say plausable :).

IrishSquid
04-04-2008, 21:19

If mated with any projectile with sufficient force, such as ball bats, rocks, .44 magnums, .50 cal., dashboards during sudden stops. :smilie39: