PDA

View Full Version : Dork divers

turtle_guy
04-03-2008, 21:05
How many dork divers do we have here. Enough to start our own sub-forum hopefully.

navyhmc
04-03-2008, 23:46
Ummm....

What is your definition of a "Dork Diver"? I can't say that I would own up to that title from the sounds of things.

cmburch
04-03-2008, 23:50
What is a dork diver? I've seen it many times, but never read on SCUBABoard.

turtle_guy
04-04-2008, 01:41
Dork Divers is dedicated to diving for fun.
Dork Divers may safely use any type or color of dive gear.
Dork Divers may wear their mask on the forehead.
Dork Divers couldn't care less if your gear cost 10x what theirs did.
Dork Divers like diving in warm tropical seas.
Dork Divers donít care about your SAC rate.
Dork Divers donít care about how deep you dive.
Dork Divers donít care about Trimix.
Dork Divers don't flame posters on ScubaBoard.*
Dork Divers respect the boat owner and deck hands.
Dork Divers respect the environment, both above and below.
Dork Divers smile and enjoy the day, even if the dive is called.
See dorkdiver.com for more info
*or scubatoys forum (added by me)

cmburch
04-04-2008, 01:45
So DORK must be an acronym?

Osprey
04-04-2008, 07:34
I'm a dork anyway, so I guess I can qualify for both.. ha!

Zyxistal
04-04-2008, 08:05
I'm a Dork and proud of it!

torrey
04-04-2008, 09:32
Aww man...I almost qualified until I got to "respect the boat owner and deck hands". I still like to slap them around a little when I get the chance.

:anim_stick:

Garrobo
04-04-2008, 09:36
99% of scuba divers are Dork Divers.

hoobascooba
04-04-2008, 09:37
<-- 100% dork diver

a dork diver is opposite of DIR.

like dork vs. geek, lol

mitsuguy
04-04-2008, 10:05
count me in too...

mwhities
04-04-2008, 10:09
http://www.dorkdiver.com/

PepeDiver
04-04-2008, 10:54
i'm not a card carryin dork diver but my wife constantly tells me what a dork I am....thus I must be one.

thor
04-04-2008, 11:01
I was wondering when this thread would make it over here. It's about time. Dork divers unite. Oh and for the records, this is a quintessential dork diver, although it is not a picture of me.

http://www.dorkdiver.com/photogallery/dorkmik.jpg

MSilvia
04-04-2008, 11:25
Well, I guess I almost qualify... but not quite. I'm all for these points:

Dork Divers may safely use any color of dive gear.
Dork Divers don’t care about how deep you dive.
Dork Divers smile and enjoy the day, even if the dive is called.But sometimes I want to stay down longer than NDLs will allow, or see stuff that's a bit deeper than 130'. Since I think it's important to put a little extra time and energy into planning those dives so they go safely, I can't agree with this one:

Dork Divers don’t care about your SAC rate.Since I don't like to be narced off my squash when I'm deep, I can't agree with this one either:

Dork Divers don’t care about Trimix.I have no problem using any sort of crazy gear on shallow dives, but there's a time and a place for it. You wouldn't catch me out of my hog gear on a tech dive, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump in a pool with a garden hose snorkel (and swim goggles, so I can exhale through my nose instead of back into the hose), and old tricycle. I guess I might or might not agree with the following, depending on how calamity tolerant I think a dive is:

Dork Divers may safely use any type of dive gear.Is this one exclusive? Warm water's nice and all, but I really love diving in the cold local waters too.

Dork Divers like diving in warm tropical seas.As far as this one goes, so long as it's quality gear I'm actually much more impressed by someone whose gear cost 1/10 what mine did:

BobbyWombat
04-04-2008, 11:30
Another Dork Diver here! We should definitely get a sub-forum going.

thor
04-04-2008, 11:42

Dork Divers smile and enjoy the day, even if the dive is called.But sometimes I want to stay down longer than NDLs will allow, or see stuff that's a bit deeper than 130'. Since I think it's important to put a little extra time and energy into planning those dives so they go safely, I can't agree with this one:

Dork Divers donít care about your SAC rate.Since I don't like to be narced off my squash when I'm deep, I can't agree with this one either:

Dork Divers donít care about Trimix.I have no problem using any sort of crazy gear on shallow dives, but there's a time and a place for it. You wouldn't catch me out of my hog gear on a tech dive, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump in a pool with a garden hose snorkel (and swim goggles, so I can exhale through my nose instead of back into the hose), and old tricycle. I guess I might or might not agree with the following, depending on how calamity tolerant I think a dive is:

Dork Divers may safely use any type of dive gear.Is this one exclusive? Warm water's nice and all, but I really love diving in the cold local waters too.

Dork Divers like diving in warm tropical seas.As far as this one goes, so long as it's quality gear I'm actually much more impressed by someone whose gear cost 1/10 what mine did:

OK. The fact that you are going through the list one by one and analyzing the validity of each point, means that you are definitely NOT a Dork Diver

doczerothree
04-04-2008, 11:45
OKAY.......I'm a dork...... happy now...but i like my mixes..... I'm sooo confused!

Beaucoupfishies
04-04-2008, 11:49
Wait, you mean we were supposed to be diving for fun??

And here I thought we were just helping the economy by spending all our money on dive gear.

TX1Chica
04-04-2008, 12:02
I agree with the list, just wouldn't normally refer to myself as a dork. Goofy sometimes, but not really a dork.

EuphoriaII
04-04-2008, 12:05
I can't decide if you're more of a dork when you get matching fins and mask color, or if you intentionally get them very different (like blue fins, pink snorkel, yellow mask)

DollFin
04-04-2008, 12:16
Oh I was a dork way before I ever started diving!!

(I have already been teased about my solid white Tusa Platina fins... but they are darn good fins and I didn't pay a dime for them!) :D

MSilvia
04-04-2008, 12:27
OK. The fact that you are going through the list one by one and analyzing the validity of each point, means that you are definitely NOT a Dork Diver
Fair enough. I'd still bet I can beat any of you dorks in an unmodified underwater tricycle race though.

turtle_guy
04-04-2008, 14:04
I dont think that the warm water thing is exclusive. We dont care about your sac rate but you can and still be one of us. If you go to the site (dorkdiver.com) and click on faqs each of those gets gone over in detail.

Zyxistal
04-04-2008, 15:37
I can't decide if you're more of a dork when you get matching fins and mask color, or if you intentionally get them very different (like blue fins, pink snorkel, yellow mask)

...Yes.

ertechsg
04-04-2008, 16:00
Snorkel ? :smiley2:

thor
04-04-2008, 16:04
Fair enough. I'd still bet I can beat any of you dorks in an unmodified underwater tricycle race though.

Is that a challenge? CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE. Dork Twin Powers Activate. Form of...a giant ice tricycle.

MSilvia
04-04-2008, 16:11
Is that a challenge? CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE. Dork Twin Powers Activate. Form of...a giant ice tricycle.
Sure... two laps. BYOT. Your sunken barge or mine? :finish:

obrules15
04-04-2008, 19:30

OMG a superfriends reference :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: and the fact that I got it among other things definitely puts me in the Dork diver catagory.

Osprey
04-04-2008, 20:31

Ease up Thor, you're wandering into the NERD Diver category!!
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

scubasamurai
04-04-2008, 20:53
Dork Divers may safely use any type or color of dive gear.
Dork Divers like diving in warm tropical seas.
Dork Divers donít care about your SAC rate.
Dork Divers donít care about Trimix.
Dork Divers smile and enjoy the day, even if the dive is called.
See dorkdiver.com for more info
*or scubatoys forum (added by me)

i have to stand up and say " i am a dork" i always respect the crew, gets me the dive locations i want so my mix and match fins can dive

turtle_guy
04-04-2008, 20:57
so it seems we have a few dorks here so how do we go about getting our own forum

Zyxistal
04-04-2008, 21:48
so it seems we have a few dorks here so how do we go about getting our own forum

Ask nicely?

johnyringo
04-04-2008, 23:57
Damn, I guess...I'm...a...dork, that was very difficult to get out! Could we perhaps come up with a cooler sounding name?

turtle_guy
04-05-2008, 01:38
there is no cooler thing to be a dork i love my dd status

RoyN
04-05-2008, 02:03
Right here :D

IrishSquid
04-05-2008, 08:14

Dork Divers donít care about your SAC rate.Since I don't like to be narced off my squash when I'm deep, I can't agree with this one either:

Dork Divers donít care about Trimix.I have no problem using any sort of crazy gear on shallow dives, but there's a time and a place for it. You wouldn't catch me out of my hog gear on a tech dive, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump in a pool with a garden hose snorkel (and swim goggles, so I can exhale through my nose instead of back into the hose), and old tricycle. I guess I might or might not agree with the following, depending on how calamity tolerant I think a dive is:

Actually, I think MSilvia CAN be a Dork Diver. He just mis-read the list. Dork Divers do care about their OWN SAC rates, they just don't want to hear about how great someone elses is. Don't care to hear about the tech. of trimix when just diving a 22ft reef. Any type of dive gear means just cause I don't use brand X like you do, doesn't mean I'm gonna die or I'm less a man/woman. Warm water MAY be a preference. Soooo.......,
Welcome to the Club. One last comment, which I also posted on Scubaboard's Dork Diver forum: DIR is just Dorks In Rehab.

Garrobo
04-05-2008, 11:03
Nope. You can't call yourself a Dork Diver if you worry about your SAC rate. You've got to stop it right now if you want to belong.

DiverBry
04-05-2008, 13:22
Yeah buddy, I'm a card-carrying dork!

IrishSquid
04-05-2008, 16:25
Nope. You can't call yourself a Dork Diver if you worry about your SAC rate. You've got to stop it right now if you want to belong.
My bad! It was a brain fart, typo, sunspots, I was drugged, there was a gun to my head!!!!!!!! I don't "care or worry" about my SAC. I do know it though:1 full tank per dive. Have I redeemed myself?

turtle_guy
04-05-2008, 17:27
thou art forgiven

obrules15
04-06-2008, 16:50
I just got my DD C-Card!!!:smilie39:

MSilvia
04-07-2008, 07:02
Nah... this dork diver stuff seems to have too many restrictions for my taste. If I'm going to follow a rule in diving, it's going to be for a good reason, not just to fit in with the cool kids.
:smiley2:

Dee
04-07-2008, 21:16
I'm with you Matt, I never have cared to be part of the cool kids. I'm a diver...period. I have the training to do the dives I like and I don't need a title.

Splitlip
04-07-2008, 21:29
God, what a bunch of dorks.

Your own forum. Give me a break. That would be... well, dorky.

Seattle Diver
04-07-2008, 23:04

Ok, so I'm a bit biased about the whole matching thing but that said, every thing else I own is black except for the best fins I've ever owned - my yellow apollo split fins. Everyone on the boat gives me crap with the "nice fins" comment but once we surface they all say "wow I couldn't see anything but those yellow fins". A really nice feature for your buddy when vis is 15 ft. But please for the love of god don't show up on a cold water charter with neon anything! The teasing won't stop until you get off the boat.

- Seattle Diver

hoobascooba
04-07-2008, 23:42
Actually, I think MSilvia CAN be a Dork Diver. He just mis-read the list. Dork Divers do care about their OWN SAC rates, they just don't want to hear about how great someone elses is. Don't care to hear about the tech. of trimix when just diving a 22ft reef. Any type of dive gear means just cause I don't use brand X like you do, doesn't mean I'm gonna die or I'm less a man/woman. Warm water MAY be a preference. Soooo.......,
Welcome to the Club. One last comment, which I also posted on Scubaboard's Dork Diver forum: DIR is just Dorks In Rehab.

brilliant!!

Nah... this dork diver stuff seems to have too many restrictions for my taste. If I'm going to follow a rule in diving, it's going to be for a good reason, not just to fit in with the cool kids.
:smiley2:

like IrishSquid said, you must be mis-reading some of these "rules" as you like to call them.

RoyN
04-08-2008, 00:32
Nothing wrong with being a dork diver. ;)

All we do is just dive and have fun. All the gears can be multi-color from black to pink. The scooters can have logos, words, or anything on it.

Other then that, its more of a relaxing club. No drills, no strictness, nothing. Just jump in the water and have fun. All divers of all level are invited to join too. :D

Plus, I still have my DD-card too. :drankere:

mudshark
04-08-2008, 00:48
I have a sac rate? :smiley2:

turtle_guy
04-08-2008, 01:31
yeah but i cant be talked about violates the tos ;)

Rockhound76
04-10-2008, 08:11
In cycling, they're known as "Freds". I thought the gooey-der divers called them something else (not dork) but I can't remember (a sign of old age).

Btw, the photo is of a gooey-der diver supreme. He only needs to wrap 40' of hose around his neck.

aprilgoddess1987
04-10-2008, 18:37
Its also known as DIW Doing It Wild!!