PDA

View Full Version : 5 mil suit + 2 mil shorty = what temp I can dive?

JipThePeople
04-03-2008, 23:09
With a 5 mil and a 2 mil shorty and a hood, can I dive in 55 degree water? Oh and let me add the word "comfortably".

chris in the socal
04-03-2008, 23:26
Whell that 7 over the core ans 5 over the arms and legs. That is the same as my one peice and I've dove in as low as 50 but mine is a semi dry. I was completely comfortable.

Illini_Fan
04-04-2008, 07:22
Chris -- I've done a 5/4 full layered with a 3mil core warmer for 45 minutes at 61 degrees. I was not cold, but I was not completely comfortable either.

mm_dm
04-04-2008, 07:58
I was not cold, but I was not completely comfortable either.

I think this is the correct answer. You'll feel it for sure, just keep moving. I wouldn't make it a long dive either, about a half hour or so. Even though you may be able to ignore the cold, as many can, your body will know the difference and one of the things nitrogen likes is a cold diver. If you think back to the image of the soda bottles...one in the fridge and one left out on the kitchen counter...which one stored more gas? Just my 2 psi.

CODMAN
04-04-2008, 08:49
Chris, nobody can really answer that other than you! Each person is different with different tolerances to the cold. Some might be OK in that setup and conditions... others may not... All we can do is compare our experiences and let you make a "limited" comparison to get an idea for yourself. But the bottom line is, no matter what you choose... You're going to have to try it and decide for yourself!

Do you get cold easily?

For reference, I don,t get cold easily. I did some diving last year in a full 7mm wetsuit in 59F water. The dives were 40-45 minutes and I can tell you that it was chily. I wasn't freezing... But I certainly wasn't "Ahhh... this is nice and warm..."

I've since bought a Bare Arctic suit which is a full 7mm suit doubled up with a 7mm shorty. Now that's nice and warm...

Hope this helps!:smiley20:

With a 5 mil and a 2 mil shorty and a hood, can I dive in 55 degree water? Oh and let me add the word "comfortably".

IrishSquid
04-04-2008, 21:42
Darn, am I a Polar Bear?
I dive 48F with a 5/4/3 around 30-45min. Yeah I'm cold when I get out; damn 37F air with wind sucks.

ChrisA
04-04-2008, 22:21

A "real" 7mm full suit works OK in mid 50's temps if you have a good hood and gloves. Many people would use a hooded vest with the 7mm and do low 50's Last night my buddy had a 7mm suit. it was 51F and he said it was a little chilly. I had a dry suit and did not notice

Your setup will not be as warm. You should be fine in low 60's I have a 5mm suit and I'll broil in 70F water, have to food the suit to coll off.

But much depends on you. Are you used cool weather. Are you thin or have a few extra pounds on? does the suit fit well. Is this one dive at the beach then back home or will you be out all day one a boat and what's the air temp? enough to let you warm up between dives? So the real answer is "it depends"

IrishSquid
04-05-2008, 08:38

I think this is the correct answer. You'll feel it for sure, just keep moving. I wouldn't make it a long dive either, about a half hour or so. Even though you may be able to ignore the cold, as many can, your body will know the difference and one of the things nitrogen likes is a cold diver. If you think back to the image of the soda bottles...one in the fridge and one left out on the kitchen counter...which one stored more gas? Just my 2 psi.

I agree that cold makes one more susceptable to DCS/DCI. I was thinking about the soda analogy and think that "stored more gas" may not be quite correct terminology. The sodas would start out equally filled, but each time they were opened (exhaled), the warm counter soda would "offgas" more than the cold one. I hope I wrote this so it makes sense, similar to what I'm thinking.:smiley20:

mm_dm
04-06-2008, 17:47

I agree that cold makes one more susceptable to DCS/DCI. I was thinking about the soda analogy and think that "stored more gas" may not be quite correct terminology. The sodas would start out equally filled, but each time they were opened (exhaled), the warm counter soda would "offgas" more than the cold one. I hope I wrote this so it makes sense, similar to what I'm thinking.:smiley20:

Yes, you're making sense and thanks for pointing out the clarification. Both sodas start out with the same amount of gas in solution (same size containers etc).

mm_dm
04-06-2008, 17:50
Darn, am I a Polar Bear?
I dive 48F with a 5/4/3 around 30-45min. Yeah I'm cold when I get out; damn 37F air with wind sucks.

That's Pure Polar Bear IMHO, my friend. :smiley36:

CODMAN
04-07-2008, 10:13
Well, do you have eggs fried in seal blubber for breakfast?:smilie39::smilie39:

Seriously, I think you are quite tolerant to cold.

I can also be quite tolerant when making an effort... But the goal to proper thermal protection is to not have to! If using proper protection, you should not feel cold after a dive (at least not much)...

For me, it takes 14mm! I can do it in 7mm... But I'm not as comfortable...

Just food for thought!:smiley20:

Darn, am I a Polar Bear?

aquadude
04-08-2008, 17:38
Should work fine for short dives