PDA

View Full Version : Dry Mouth?

Marcus
04-04-2008, 07:00
Just a silly question here. Is it me or is there something wrong with the fact that I prefer dry mouth and a dry breathing regulator? I've dove Poseidon as my primary for a while and it breathes dry. Dove an Oceanic and Zeagle that were dry. Some rentals that I've had including Sherwood breathed more moist and I didn't prefer it. I never found dry mouth a big deal and actually prefer it. Am I the only one?

tc_rain
04-04-2008, 08:54
I wouldn't say I prefer it but it doesn't bother me anymore. When I first started diving it was a problem but now I don't notice it.

mentalmarine
04-04-2008, 08:56
Dirty mouth? Clean it up with Orbit!

CODMAN
04-04-2008, 09:03
Marcus, I'm not sure I understand, but are you confusing "drymouth" and "wet breathing" regulators?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong (it happens:smilie39:), but from what I know dry mouth is a general dry feeling in your mouth and throat that comes from breathing dry tank air. Whereas "wet breathing regulators" are regulators with second stages that are letting a tiny (sometimes not so tiny) bit of water seap in. There is actually a little bit of water in the 2nd stage.

Some companies (Mares is one) make all metal 2nd stages that are supposed to help condense humidity from your exhalation which in turn humidifies the air coming from the tank and therefore reduce the drymouth condition. I've never tried one, but others seem to say they can feel the difference...:smiley20:

OH, and I've also got used to the dry mouth. I drink a lot of water between dives...

Cheers!

Just a silly question here. Is it me or is there something wrong with the fact that I prefer dry mouth and a dry breathing regulator? I've dove Poseidon as my primary for a while and it breathes dry. Dove an Oceanic and Zeagle that were dry. Some rentals that I've had including Sherwood breathed more moist and I didn't prefer it. I never found dry mouth a big deal and actually prefer it. Am I the only one?

No Misses
04-04-2008, 10:01
Codman summed it up pretty well.

I read this in one of the other threads. Before your dive a reg. Place it on a tank and breath from it. If it breaths ok, turn off the gas. You should get a couple more breaths out of it. Ater the IP (intermediate pressure) has dropped, you should not be able to breath off the reg. When you try to take a slow breath, if you get any air, the diaphram is leaking. It will be a wet breathing reg.

Marcus
04-04-2008, 10:22
I dove a few Sherwood rentals on my last few trips diving. I doubt they were all leaking, but maybe they were wet-breathing regs. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe I haven't tried enough brands to really discern. I've just found that the ones that breathe moist have been more of an annoyance than the purely dry regs like my poseidon and zeagle.

CODMAN
04-04-2008, 10:55
I agree with you. A reg, with a constant bit of water in it, is anoing as hell. You are always thinking af the water and not inhaling it. From what I know, regs aren't supposed to do this if properly tuned and maintained. My Mares V16 proton is dry as a whisle no matter what position I'm in.

Rentals are always a mater of "if the dive operation maintains them properly". Not all operations service their gear as regularly or a well as if it was your own! That's one of the advantages of having your own regulator!:smiley20:

I dove a few Sherwood rentals on my last few trips diving. I doubt they were all leaking, but maybe they were wet-breathing regs. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe I haven't tried enough brands to really discern. I've just found that the ones that breathe moist have been more of an annoyance than the purely dry regs like my poseidon and zeagle.

Marcus
04-04-2008, 13:47
I agree with you. A reg, with a constant bit of water in it, is anoing as hell. You are always thinking af the water and not inhaling it. From what I know, regs aren't supposed to do this if properly tuned and maintained. My Mares V16 proton is dry as a whisle no matter what position I'm in.

Rentals are always a mater of "if the dive operation maintains them properly". Not all operations service their gear as regularly or a well as if it was your own! That's one of the advantages of having your own regulator!:smiley20:

After having serious problems with rental regulators at depth, it is the one thing that I'll never rent nor let my wife rent again. I will keep good quality reg setups for both of us. It is one piece of equiptment I won't take chances with again!

mudshark
04-08-2008, 02:04
After having serious problems with rental regulators at depth, it is the one thing that I'll never rent nor let my wife rent again. I will keep good quality reg setups for both of us. It is one piece of equiptment I won't take chances with again![/quote]

A dive instructor gave my husband a set up in which the spg didn't work (and something else didn't too but I don't remember what it was) in a lake with less than 10 ft. vis and he had less than 10 dives. I was sooo pissed. He had his own gear before his next dive. Rental or borrowed gear scares me. You're depending on someone else to do their job that affects your life. I even hate having gear out of my sight for its servicing. Maybe I'm being too anal.