PDA

View Full Version : Crew moments

doczerothree
04-05-2008, 13:02
how many of you "crew or ex-crew" played with a FNG's head:

While looking a new very young member and asking: "I need More relative bearing grease"

"Find me 14ft of waterline!!"

or

Capt wants the "If your going to punk, please make the rail" signs back up on each bulkhead.

Sent him to: announce to the tourists that the pool is up to $35 to see who punks first and that the smart money is on the green guy in the back.

fireflock
04-05-2008, 13:28
one boat I dove from had little cards that they handed to people who came up the wrong anchor line and showed up at the back of their boat.

The cards said something like:

You came back to the right boat. Unfortunately, you started your dive today on the wrong boat. Next time, try to start your dive on the right boat. [Followed by boat name and phone number]

I thought it was funny, and I guess they won over some customers too.

mentalmarine
04-05-2008, 13:33
lol, I have lots of stories for this thread :) One was handing a hammer to a fng and tell to hit the hull of the APC to find cracks. Then take a peice of chalk and circle it. Then you have the classic, go to the 1stsgt and ask for a boxes of gridsquares.

Tom A
04-05-2008, 16:06
tel them to go get 5 gallons of prop wash

Garrobo
04-05-2008, 19:13
Reminds me of some old farts sending a new apprentice to the supply shanty for some "277 volt" fluorescent lamps. They'd usually catch on after a couple trips back and forth.

cummings66
04-05-2008, 20:13
Most every organization has some sort of trick they play on newcomers, but to a newcomer, especially one where they're the one being commanded to do something, even if it's stupid and they know it they'll go off on the task. To do otherwise invites trouble, or so they would see it.

I had a cadet who was a student pilot and knew darn well what a flight line was, but when the LTC sent him out for it he promptly left.

I asked him later on why. He told me he figured he'd let the guy have his fun, so he just went off and had some fun and come back later on after the appropriate amount of time spent "searching".

NoTime58
04-06-2008, 10:11
lol, I have lots of stories for this thread :) One was handing a hammer to a fng and tell to hit the hull of the APC to find cracks. Then take a peice of chalk and circle it. Then you have the classic, go to the 1stsgt and ask for a boxes of gridsquares.

When I was in the service one of my favorites was having one of the "FNG's" go to the "Commo Chief" and ask him for a can of "squelch juice" for the radio.

NucMed Man
04-09-2008, 12:44
When in surgical training at Navy Corp School, we used to send FNG's to supply for "Sterile Fallopian Tubes".

Sounder
04-09-2008, 13:02
When in surgical training at Navy Corp School, we used to send FNG's to supply for "Sterile Fallopian Tubes".
:smilie39:

MSilvia
04-09-2008, 13:04
While I was working on a commercial squid trawler, the captain sent one FNG on an increasingly ridiculous goose chase that at one point had him come into the galley asking for help locating the spare jug of compass water. He was matter-of-factly told it was last seen with the spool of extra chum line by the main winch, but when he asked the deckhands, he was told the chief engineer had taken it. The chief told him compass water had to be refrigerated, and since "those donkeys" left it in the sun, it had been moved next to the radar fluid in the walk-in cooler. The cook told him he didn't see it, but that the first mate probably moved it earlier when he had accidentally broken a bottle of the radar fluid. He also said that if he was going to be talking to him about it, he'd appreciate it if he'd get the glass magnet back from him.

He was threatened with mail buoy duty too, but by then no one could keep a straight face.

Sounder
04-09-2008, 13:13
While I was working on a commercial squid trawler, the captain sent one FNG on an increasingly ridiculous goose chase that at one point had him come into the galley asking for help locating the spare jug of compass water. He was matter-of-factly told it was last seen with the spool of extra chum line by the main winch, but when he asked the deckhands, he was told the chief engineer had taken it. The chief told him compass water had to be refrigerated, and since "those donkeys" left it in the sun, it had been moved next to the radar fluid in the walk-in cooler. The cook told him he didn't see it, but that the first mate probably moved it earlier when he had accidentally broken a bottle of the radar fluid. He also said that if he was going to be talking to him about it, he'd appreciate it if he'd get the glass magnet back from him.

He was threatened with mail buoy duty too, but by then no one could keep a straight face.

It's nice to have a crew that's all on the same page, isn't it?

MSilvia
04-09-2008, 13:15
Yeah, even if the job was terrible and a couple of those guys were complete bastards, it was good we could keep each other amused. ;)