PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle warranty and LDS service

johnG
04-05-2008, 16:21
To Scott or Larry:
I bought a Flathead VI, ZX 2nd stage and Envoy octo, from Scubatoys last year and brought them today for servicing to a LDS. They refused to respect the warranty since I didn't buy it from them. They told me that I will have to pay for the service kits because Zeagle won't pay them back for it. Is it usual with Zeagle dealers to go that way?
Is it true that Zeagle won't reimbursed their dealers for parts in that type of situation?
Do I have to send them to Scubatoys?

I'm in Canada (if that changes anything) for a few months but live in Korea.

John

jtkkym
04-05-2008, 16:47
I use ST's reg service. It usually takes 1.5 weeks include shipping both way (I'm cheap so I use ground shipping). If you bought your regs at ST, parts are free if you use ST. I found ST's reg service is cheaper and faster and better than my LDS. ST gives you flow data as well.

obrules15
04-05-2008, 16:58
That's just BS, sounds like your LDS is full of it.

Zenagirl
04-06-2008, 08:10
Your LDS is definitely full of garbage!! We bought both of our reg sets from ST and in December I had mine serviced at the LDS and just 2 weeks ago my husband has his serviced at the LDS. Both times they asked us for proof that they were purchased from an authorized dealer, but once they saw our receipts, parts were definitely free.

Hopefully Scott will answer and you can print this thread out for your LDS to see.

awap
04-06-2008, 09:20
The problem is LDSs are independent small businesses so they can basically do as they please within the scope of their dealer agreement. These agreements usually establish pricing restrictions but do not require that mfgr warranties be honored. I've had authorized dealers refuse to provide free recall service and the mfgr response was for me to mail my reg to their service center.

It is obviously a shop that does not want your business. But you do have to wonder a bit why the mfgr would continue to support such operations.

obrules15
04-06-2008, 16:47
Your dive shop might also just be confused between grey market online retailers and online retailers that are certified zeagle dealers. Indicate to them that ST is a certified retailer and the problem might be solved.

johnG
04-06-2008, 23:31
Your dive shop might also just be confused between grey market online retailers and online retailers that are certified zeagle dealers. Indicate to them that ST is a certified retailer and the problem might be solved.

I did show them my invoice from ST and they barely looked at it. And my regs are in a Scubatoys bag.

ScottZeagle
04-07-2008, 09:32
Answer coming...stand by.

fireflock
04-07-2008, 09:36
Some brands have parts policies that vary by country because they policy is provided by the distributer (which can be different for different countries) and not the manufacturer. I don't have any idea if that is the case for Zeagle.

I do know that too many local shops don't do a decent job of providing warranty service for brands they carry if the product was not purchased from them. I don't know why the manufacturers put up with it. Can anyone imagine Ford or Toyota dealers doing the same thing?

awap
04-07-2008, 10:12
Can anyone imagine Ford or Toyota dealers doing the same thing?

Car dealers have more competition so if the dealership manages to piss off customers thru poor prices and service, they won't last. Plus the mfgr pays the dealership reasonable prices for performing warranty and CPSC recall services.

fireflock
04-07-2008, 12:37
Car dealers have more competition so if the dealership manages to piss off customers thru poor prices and service, they won't last. Plus the mfgr pays the dealership reasonable prices for performing warranty and CPSC recall services.

Local Dive Shops have more competition so if the dealership manages to piss off customers thru poor prices and service, they won't last.

I have no idea what, if anything, the manufacturer pays for warranty service, but passing up the chance to win a new customer is industrial strength stupid.

ScottZeagle
04-07-2008, 13:16
I started typing this response about 3 times, trying to get the wording right, make it clear and concise, etc...then I got an email from Jim Fox that pretty much sums it all up - so I will just copy and paste!!! :)

To clear up some of the confusion with the “Free Service Kits” issue, it is important to remember what is covered under the “Warranty” and how it works. Your Zeagle regulator came with a Limited Lifetime Warranty against DEFECTS in materials or workmanship. Some parts such as mouthpieces and hoses have a 2 year Warranty. This means the part(s) will be replaced at no cost (for the part) at Zeagles discretion if it is determined that the part was defective. Labor charges are not covered and are between the dealer and the owner.

There is another completely separate program that exists in the US, but some distributorships in some Countries opt out of, to enable them to offer the regulators at a better price. That is the Service Kits Program. In the US, if a dealer sends in a complete used set of Service Parts that he has taken from a Zeagle regulator (original owner, serviced annually, etc.), Zeagle will replace that kit at no cost to the dealer. The dealer is then free to give these kits to their customer’s at no cost during an annual overhaul. This again is up to the dealer, since Zeagle has no ownership or control over the dealer’s decisions. In other countries, (again to control costs) this free exchange program is not in place and therefore the dealer cannot offer you free kits unless they decide to absorb the cost of the kit themselves.

One way to ensure that regulators purchased in the US can take advantage of the free kits program, is to take or send them to the US for service. This of course is often not practical.

fireflock
04-07-2008, 13:45
So, is Canada one of the opt-out countries?

ScottZeagle
04-07-2008, 14:07
A better way to phrase it might be - the only "opt-in" country is the USA...

I do not believe that any other country offers the free kits deal.

fireflock
04-07-2008, 14:11
That makes sense. Thanks.

johnG
04-08-2008, 11:59
Thanks for your help Scott.