PDA

View Full Version : Hammerheads

reactive
04-05-2008, 18:06
Is there anywhere in the US where you can see hammerhead sharks? Maybe during a certain time of year?

Thanks

fireflock
04-05-2008, 19:05
I've heard of a few. For example, I sometimes hear about them off of Jupiter, FL, and I have heard about a couple around NC. The reports I hear are few and far between, and people dive those areas for a long time without ever seeing one.

Spring in the Flower Gardens (off TX) is another place that comes to mind. My impression is that Hammerheads are more common there (but still not common?), but sometimes getting out there to dive (weather) is a challenge.

Capt Hook
04-05-2008, 19:13
Every once in a while we see them off WPB, mostly in the spring.

FishFood
04-05-2008, 19:35
Some locals at Panama City/St Andrews FL told me they usually follow the rays in during the summer. I have yet to see one, however.

DevilDiver
04-05-2008, 22:19
Flower Gardens... Febuary, March and some in April.

Here is a trip report from this Febusry 23 and 24....

We arrived on the West bank to find 20 knot winds, seas in the 4-5 foot range, water temps around 68, air temp around 72, and sharks. Big sharks, little sharks, hammerhead sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, Manta rays, grouper, and sharks. Only a couple of fishing boats were out, did I mention we saw sharks. During lunch we moseyed over to the East bank, where we found the wind still blowing, but not as hard, and the seas trying very hard to lay down. The conditions were very similar to the west bank, except wind was down to 15 knots, seas down to 3-4 feet, visibility was 100 feet or better, and we saw sharks. And manta rays, spotted eagle rays, amberjack, and sharks. One buddy pair actually reported seeing a tiger shark eat a triggerfish. Scales everywhere, they said. We saw sharks on the surface, (couldn’t tell what kind), and saw tigers, hammers, bull or sandbars underwater, including one school of about 20 hammerheads. The biggest school we saw on the West bank was about 5-8 individuals.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 04:04
Your in the right part of the world to see them since they are generally a warm water shark. I've only seen them schooling up once off the coast of New Jersey, while diving and that was more than 20 years ago.

joeybenz106
05-21-2009, 10:05

We arrived on the West bank to find 20 knot winds, seas in the 4-5 foot range, water temps around 68, air temp around 72, and sharks. Big sharks, little sharks, hammerhead sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, Manta rays, grouper, and sharks. Only a couple of fishing boats were out, did I mention we saw sharks. During lunch we moseyed over to the East bank, where we found the wind still blowing, but not as hard, and the seas trying very hard to lay down. The conditions were very similar to the west bank, except wind was down to 15 knots, seas down to 3-4 feet, visibility was 100 feet or better, and we saw sharks. And manta rays, spotted eagle rays, amberjack, and sharks. One buddy pair actually reported seeing a tiger shark eat a triggerfish. Scales everywhere, they said. We saw sharks on the surface, (couldn’t tell what kind), and saw tigers, hammers, bull or sandbars underwater, including one school of about 20 hammerheads. The biggest school we saw on the West bank was about 5-8 individuals.

So did you see any sharks? lol
that sounds like a great trip! where is flower gardens?

DevilDiver
05-21-2009, 10:14

So did you see any sharks? lol
that sounds like a great trip! where is flower gardens?

I have seen Hammers and Silkies. They see Tigers at times as well but they will call the night dives if they are in the area. Whale Sharks come in during the summer but I have not got lucky on that yet.

Here are some links for the Flower Gardens......
Welcome to the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/)
Fling Charters (http://flingcharters.com/index.asp)

bobby_hirst
02-25-2010, 08:37
Is there anywhere in the US where you can see hammerhead sharks? Maybe during a certain time of year?

Thanks

I remember fishing in the Keys and we caught a 2 1/2 - 3 footer. Damn thing scared all of our fish away, though!

jet126
02-25-2010, 16:17
I saw an 8 ft. hammerhead diving in Pennecamp (Key Largo) a few years ago.

Last year a fisherman in Tampa Bay caught and killed a pregnant female along with her 32 pups.

Rileybri
02-25-2010, 16:23
There is a sea mount in the Sea of Cortez (a protected world heritage sight now) where Hammer heads congregate by the hundreds and just circle for days on end then just go away.....

RogerAg
02-25-2010, 17:59

Thanks

I came across a school of 8 Hammerheads in Kona Hawaii on November 18, 2000. I was somewhere between 33 and 55 feet, water temperature was 76 degrees.
I was going South and the Hammerheads were going West from the shore. As I went faster the Hammerheads continued to turned more southward to avoid me. I got to about 40 feet from them, but too bad- My wife had the camera and she was about 30 or 40 feet behind me so the photos only showed dark patches.:smiley19:

bobby_hirst
02-26-2010, 07:41

Sounds awesome! Need to do some diving this year, and soon! :)

RogerAg
02-26-2010, 09:21
[QUOTE=DevilDiver;153816]Flower Gardens... Febuary, March and some in April.

Where is the West Bank? It seems to me that it is in Israeli

bobby_hirst
02-26-2010, 09:25
[QUOTE=DevilDiver;153816]Flower Gardens... Febuary, March and some in April.

Where is Israeli? Just kidding. :)

DevilDiver
02-26-2010, 10:02
[quote=DevilDiver;153816]Flower Gardens... Febuary, March and some in April.

Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary:
Located about 115 miles off the coasts of Texas and Louisiana

NOAA - Encyclopedia of the Sanctuaries (http://www8.nos.noaa.gov/onms/park/Parks/?pID=9)

RogerAg
02-26-2010, 12:42

NOAA - Encyclopedia of the Sanctuaries (http://www8.nos.noaa.gov/onms/park/Parks/?pID=9)

Thanks DevilDiver
I used your link and I think I will check out for live-a-boards. :smiley31: Do you recommend any?

DevilDiver
02-26-2010, 12:44

Thanks DevilDiver
I used your link and I think I will check out for live-a-boards. :smiley31: Do you recommend any?

RogerAg
02-26-2010, 13:35

Thanks DevilDiver

I already have two trips planed for Hawaii this year but I book marked your links for early next year.