PDA

View Full Version : Most dangerous encounter

GenesisFactor
04-06-2008, 10:43
I'm curious, what's the most dangerous animal you've encountered under water up in our region? Care to talk about the experience?

obrules15
04-06-2008, 13:17
The most dangerous animal I have encountered underwater is the 'stupidus humanus'. Followed only by the 'poorly trainimus humanus'. It may be mean but the worst encounters I have had involve people thrashing, kicking my mask off, poor buoyancy etc. The animals are fine it is always the people I worry about.

SkuaSeptember
04-06-2008, 17:55
I try and avoid the fearsome creatures that obrules15 mentioned.

The only other critter that has caused me injury is: Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis, the Green sea urchin.
I had a rough exit over the rocks with pretty good surf one day and fell on one getting a palm full of spines through my glove. Missed digging one out and got a nice infection.

Kokomo
04-06-2008, 18:07
Had a hammerhead swim by about 10 feet in front of me.....but it wasn't paying the least bit of attention..it was on its own mission.

GenesisFactor
04-07-2008, 12:12
lol, i'll try to stay out of that genetic pool. obrules15

a green sea urchin? damn, first sting rays, then sea urchins...i think nature is pissed and fighting back!

kokomo, where were you diving when that hammerhead mossied on by?

MConnelly2
06-03-2008, 10:46
I try and avoid the fearsome creatures that obrules15 mentioned.

The only other critter that has caused me injury is: Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis, the Green sea urchin.
I had a rough exit over the rocks with pretty good surf one day and fell on one getting a palm full of spines through my glove. Missed digging one out and got a nice infection.

My wife had a bad encounter with those things in DomRep. Fell off a kayak over a shallow reef covered in them. Ended up having surgery on both hands and feet in the Dominican and again in the US!

terrillja
06-03-2008, 10:51
The Gloucester Lobsterman. This creature hates scuba divers, and if you happen to have a lobster permit (indicated by a permit # on your flag), they hate you even more.

Rainer
06-03-2008, 10:54
Other than humans, probably the Atlantic Torpedo Rays we get here.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 04:18
I have seen the enemy and it is us.
Of the non-human variety it would be either the hammerhead for initial scary factor or the lovely purple man-of-war for actual pain.

MacDiver
06-29-2008, 20:11
Probably Portuguese Man O' War. I've only ran into them while snorkeling, but it's scary to pop your head out of the water and see one floating 6 feet away... Especially when their tentacles can be up to 33ft long..

dive10killer
06-29-2008, 20:18
The Cottonmouth Water Moccasin
(Agkistrodon piscivorus)
Damn mean bastards at times!

navyhmc
06-29-2008, 21:37
The Cottonmouth Water Moccasin
(Agkistrodon piscivorus)
Damn mean bastards at times!

ALL the time...

davidfernandis
07-14-2008, 00:54
We do not have to get afraid of such kind of encounters. And we have to take care of ourselves.