PDA

View Full Version : "Dived" or "Dove"??

picxie
08-02-2007, 05:20
I vaguely remember reading an article on this, with the authors opinion being that the correct term was 'dived'.

Personally I don't care. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

But I do use the term 'dived' and am curious as to what others use (although I have noticed 'doved' appears a lot here)? Ever come across someone real pedantic who corrected you?

Ajuva
08-02-2007, 05:32
I saw this recently and had bookmarked it.

http://tenfootstop.********.com/2005/10/dived-or-dove-which-is-correct-from-dr.html

Sad possibly but not intentionally pedantic.

Ajuva

Centerius
08-02-2007, 08:03
I don't care if you say dived or dove, but "doved" is just plain wrong. :p

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 08:12
I've been known to use dived and dove... though not doved... that's just a bit weird ;)

ReefHound
08-02-2007, 08:41
Diven or doven?

hydro
08-02-2007, 09:17
Dove is a small pigeon.

Dived is the past tense of dive.

ParrotHead
08-02-2007, 09:46
:smilie40:

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 10:00
Dove is a small pigeon.

Dived is the past tense of dive.

Actually, both are accepted as correct. :smiley2:

—Usage note Both dived and dove are standard as the past tense of dive. Dived, historically the older form, is somewhat more common in edited writing, but dove occurs there so frequently that it also must be considered standard: The rescuer dove into 20 feet of icy water. Dove is an Americanism that probably developed by analogy with alternations like drive, drove and ride, rode. It is the more common form in speech in the northern United States and in Canada, and its use seems to be spreading. The past participle of dive is always dived.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dove

ScubaToys Larry
08-02-2007, 11:11
Darn you Wolfie... If you give an educated, authoritative answer, what are all these people going to do on their computers when they're at work!?

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 14:27
it's like think and thunk?
i've seen all kinds of doves and doved and dived and what nots...
thanks for the educated clear up wolfie!

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 14:35
Darn you Wolfie... If you give an educated, authoritative answer, what are all these people going to do on their computers when they're at work!?

I apologize, I'm just not thinking of others. I'll be more careful in the future. :smiley2:

dallasdivergirl
08-02-2007, 15:38
I am just lucky to have a sister with a masters in english to correct me when ever I speak anything incorrectly. I am suprised she doesn't correct my emails to her and send them back for revisions.

cummings66
08-02-2007, 17:34
Personally I'm waiting for Google to add a word selection widget to my title bar. Then when I want to know if I should use dove or dived I can click a link and it will place the proper word in their for me, eventually the end goal is I think of something and Google does it for me.

No spelling errors, but the word widget isn't up yet.

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 18:11
I have to count to ten to stop myself from posting furiously every time I see someone say "it's a mute point".

We all have our pet peeves. :)

ReefHound
08-02-2007, 18:44
Or when they say "I could care less" when they mean they couldn't care less.

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 19:00

Wouldn't that work both ways, though?

thor
08-02-2007, 19:12
What about, "I don't mean to be mean , but ...."

hydro
08-02-2007, 19:20
You know, I couldn't care less, and although it's a moot point and I don't want to be mean, when I said that "dived" is the correct past tense form of dive, I was stating fact, not opinion. No need for further discussion :P

</extreme sarcasm>

techgnostic
08-02-2007, 20:08
I have to count to ten to stop myself from posting furiously every time I see someone say "it's a mute point".

I'd never heard someone say that before...then my SO pointed out I should have listened harder...she's quick with the wit like that. :)

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 20:19

I'd never heard someone say that before...then my SO pointed out I should have listened harder...she's quick with the wit like that. :)

LMAO that's a good one! :smilie39:

Moxie
08-02-2007, 20:22
I am just lucky to have a sister with a masters in english to correct me when ever I speak anything incorrectly. I am suprised she doesn't correct my emails to her and send them back for revisions.

Hey your sister is my cousin. And yes, she does the same thing!

ReefHound
08-02-2007, 20:28

You either care less or you don't.

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 21:36
Edit: Nevermind... not worth arguing over. I can see it working both ways, though. Seems to me it has evolved into an expression, however.

cummings66
08-03-2007, 06:48

How about when they say Yolk instead of Yoke.:smiley29:

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 10:36

Ack! Good one! Drives me nuts, too. :smiley7:

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 10:44

Alright, that was me. Had a brain melt down. :smiley18:

Ron

ReefHound
08-03-2007, 11:17
Edit: Nevermind... not worth arguing over. I can see it working both ways, though. Seems to me it has evolved into an expression, however.

I guess that would make it a mute point. :smilie39:

How about the people who "loose" their car keys, or their mind?

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 11:40

I guess that would make it a mute point. :smilie39:

How about the people who "loose" their car keys, or their mind?

Don't make me hurt you. :smiley2:

I've been loosing my mind all over this board, I dunno about you! :smiley36:

techgnostic
08-03-2007, 19:27

LMAO that's a good one! :smilie39:

I'll pass it along to her.

the gooch
08-03-2007, 19:42
I had a girl explain to me why an ambulance sounds higher in pitch when coming towards you then when leaving you. You know, the "Droppler" effect.

quarrydiver
08-14-2007, 22:42
...and then a turtle dove dived into the fray...mmm dove meat.

dixintex
10-04-2007, 15:01
In the south, it would be said as:

"Ya'll done dived yesterday?"

In the north, it would be said as:

"Did you guys go diving yesterday?"

In the east, it would be said as:

"Did youseguys do a little divin' the udder day?"

In the west, it would be said as:

"For sure you went...um...whatever...um...like...right?"

Am I correct?

dixintex
10-04-2007, 15:04
MOOT point....not mute point....
lose is different thatn loose....

there I go again....I was an English major in college.

Apologies...sometimes I just can't help myself!!!

huked on fonix werks fer me!

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 16:04
http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

kingfish
10-05-2007, 05:17
Thanks for that, hopefully i will speak and write better now.:smiley5:

Jas.

RoadRacer1978
10-05-2007, 23:10
Wow, being corrected by an angry flower. Bet he is just mad because he is in black and white. Somebody really should brighten up his day :)

Mtrewyn
10-06-2007, 00:45
I've always used it this way:

"I was there this am."

"we were there in the eve."

I dont like to make things too hard,

CompuDude
10-06-2007, 01:40
Wow, being corrected by an angry flower. Bet he is just mad because he is in black and white. Somebody really should brighten up his day :)

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.angryflower.com/aposter3.jpg

:smilie39:

PhD4JC
03-17-2008, 13:35
if you could care less about something, if could be at the "top" of your care list

but if you couldnt care less, that means it is at rock bottom, there are no lowers slots

WV Diver
03-17-2008, 13:38
Dove baby, I'm an American, we can get away with it.

DollFin
03-19-2008, 13:34
All we edumakated peoples no the rite word is DOVDED

UCFKnightDiver
03-19-2008, 14:02
I think its Dove

Crimediver
03-19-2008, 20:09
Done dove 'dat.

Duckydiver
03-19-2008, 21:05
I looked up dive in the merriam-webster dictionary online and got this description od its usage http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary)

usage Dive, which was originally a weak verb, developed a past tense dove, probably by analogy with verbs like drive, drove. Dove exists in some British dialects and has become the standard past tense especially in speech in some parts of Canada. In the United States dived and dove are both widespread in speech as past tense and past participle, with dove less common than dived in the south Midland area, and dived less common than dove in the Northern and north Midland areas. In writing, the past tense dived is usual in British English and somewhat more common in American English. Dove seems relatively rare as a past participle in writing.

And being that I live in the north I'll stick with dove.

moosicman
03-20-2008, 10:58
I always give it my best effort to speak and use the language correctly, while at the same time not being anal-retentive about it. To use it correctly (or put forth the effort or care) shows intellect. The opposite, like it or not, earns disrepsect. Even so, the use of slang or just being relaxed has its place to. But I cannot abide by people in the professional setting speaking incorrectly. There was a fellow on Fox News a few nights ago named Ted Williams who just SLAUGHTERED the usage. I wondered how in the world he was afforded the opportunity to show such ignorance in front of the viewers.

moosicman
03-20-2008, 11:06
OHHH and one of my pet peeves is when I am in Wal-Mart and someone announces over the P.A. something along these lines: "John Doe, you are needed TO Electronics." AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!! How ignorant is that???? John Doe is needed IN Electronics.

And another one that doesn't really bother me but I still correct people all the time is: "Where are you at?" and all of the various sentences ending in a preposition. "...... at" seems to be the most common here in the south. But I do correct people light-heartedly on it.

A funny spot on "Designing Women" made use of this. Some stuffy, rich people were visiting from somewhere and the character played by Annie Potts asked, "Where are y'all from?" One of the people said, "We are from a place where we don't end sentences in a preposition!" To which Annie's character replied, "Oh!...So, where are y'all from, bitch." LOL:D

mark44883
03-20-2008, 20:42
ya'll want to swim uder woter and help larry lift his 400lbs crud oil he sank last year. he's cashing in

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-24-2008, 19:48
Dived or dove does not matter. That's all in the past. Dive (right now) is my preference.

Capt Hook
03-25-2008, 09:48
Dove - there hope that gets rid of the NAG!

tone
10-30-2008, 15:07
both are correct...

scubastud
01-10-2011, 07:47
I just say "got wet"

ScubaCaveman
01-10-2011, 09:30
I use them both.