PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit surgery question

Ohio_diver16
04-06-2008, 16:51
My wetsuit needs surgery, well, rather an amputation. I have a Deep See 3mill full suit, and I need a 3mill shorty. Anyone have any suggestions to cutting it down to size without the seams going all blitzkrieg on me? I was thinking of just cutting it, then doing a quick sew job on the ends of the seams to tighten 'em up, then putting some neoprene cement on them to secure it. Anyone have a better suggestion, or to a larger leap of faith, experience in this?

obrules15
04-06-2008, 17:24
You know you can get a 3 mil shorty on ST for $40 and you get a 10% discount. You never know when you will need your fullsuit again. And don't forget at 250 posts you get a $50 GC.

SkuaSeptember
04-06-2008, 17:42
I did exactly what you described with an old pool suit of mine on which the knees had shredded. It worked out just fine.

terrillja
04-06-2008, 18:15
Any particular reason you want to make it a shorty?

Ohio_diver16
04-06-2008, 20:49
Any particular reason you want to make it a shorty?

To maim 2 birds with one stone - I want to cut it down for school, more specific commercial dive school. Physical Training in the early morning, in the summer in Florida - Not very cool (literally) in a 3mill full. Not to mention even though it's an old suit, it 's not what I would call pliable - more like an over-starched dress shirt with no vents.

Also, I know I can buy a cheap shorty, but the 3mill I'm cutting down is old, a little battered even, besides, it's not my primary suit.

Ohio_diver16
04-06-2008, 20:51
I did exactly what you described with an old pool suit of mine on which the knees had shredded. It worked out just fine.

Muchas gracias senor! I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, but wanted to err on the side of a second opinion.

CompuDude
04-07-2008, 10:40
Stitch up the edges of the seams with a needle and dental floss. Add a dab of aquaseal to seal it all up, and you're good to go.

mobeeno
04-12-2008, 19:18
Neoprene cement is all I used and it worked fine.