PDA

View Full Version : Opening Oronogo

navyhmc
04-06-2008, 19:48
The weather was great for the opening weekend: 70 on Sat and 73 on sunday. Surface temp: 55f and 90' temp 48f. Visib varied between 3' and about 10' . There were a lot more dry suits than wet suits, I can tell you that! Still didn't get cold on any of the dives. The water was the highest I have ever seen! 6'-8' above normal pool-the two gear tables were in 1'-2' of water, same with the map bulletin board.

My dives this weekend: First dive was a refresher dive with Brandon Belew and Medicdiver. We surface swam the the white platform bouy (which is current 1' underwater-the red plane bouy: 3' under.) Then down to the platform and on the the 610. A pretty good dive. Surprisingly, I wasn't cold even in a 6.5 mil. A hooded vest is now my new best friend for cold water diving while wet. The only problem with the dive was that my computer was set to guage mode so it was out of action for the rest of the day while it got over being mad at me and would become a computer again instead ofa very expensive bottom timer. Back to tables and a wheel for the rest of the day.

The next were planned to go to the cabin cruiser and then follow the road past the dor and on up the road to the plane and up. It started well enough but then I got horendous cramps in both my legs which made me surface, I thought I got them resolved but no deepeer than 15' I cramped up again so I had to abort/

The last dive was the same thing-severe cramps so I had to abort-durn it I felt like a whimp!

Sunday was much better-better hydration, more banannas, some motrin and a good nights sleep.

Started with a trip to the Lincoln sign with no problems and on up and around. This time, the computer worked as advertised. Taught me several things: Computers are very nice especially for multi-level and varied depth dives, They work better when you have them set up right and always keep your tables as a Back up.

The last dive was just puttering around the cruiser and the doors.

I was happy to meet a great bunch of guys from the forum: Brandon Belew-who I buddied with this weekend, DivingCRNA, Maverick, Dark Wolf (finally) and a bunch more who's user id's I have immediately forgotten. Sorry guys, my brain is a draining bathtub when it comes to names.

Anyway, thanks again for a great weeekend guys. I can't wait to go again!

DivingCRNA
04-06-2008, 19:57
Thanks for a great report. It was great meeting you and maybe we can dive together when I am not teaching DW how to navigate and find things!

navyhmc
04-06-2008, 20:14
Well, someone has to teach him.... :D :D :D

Soonerwink
04-06-2008, 20:40
It was great meeting you Sat. I must say I did get cold in my 7mm with a 5mm hooded vest. But I do seem to get colder than most of my dive buddies. I would also like to thank divingCRNA for recommending Chatter's to eat at. Six of us Tulsa Aquanauts stopped to eat there on the way home.

navyhmc
04-06-2008, 20:49
We hit up Stoke Pizza place. Good food, a little slow on service, but we had a brand new waitress who was dealing with 9 folks at the table.

I'm hoping for another trip to Oronogo next month...

Dark Wolf
04-06-2008, 20:54
Thanks for a great report. It was great meeting you and maybe we can dive together when I am not teaching DW how to navigate and find things!

:eek2:

LOL!! It was great to meet you guys, too. Next time, I will actually be able to spend more time with you all.

DW

Brandon Belew
04-06-2008, 22:24
It was fun - just woke up from my post-dive nap :D

And now, since i'm a stupid dummy... I suffer with a bright red sun-burn face.

I never learn....

Brandon Belew
04-06-2008, 22:27
btw, still wondering when i'm going to get my membership in the DDCN.

I was pretty narced when we came out of door 2 :smiley20:

Walt725
04-07-2008, 08:00
Howdy all.. Had a great weekend. Conditions other than viz couldn't have been better. Looking forward to spending another weekend away from home and the mowing, landscaping, remodeling, painting...... Well you get the idea.

DivingCRNA
04-07-2008, 09:20
btw, still wondering when i'm going to get my membership in the DDCN.

I was pretty narced when we came out of door 2 :smiley20:

Dude, I think you got it just for being narc'd at the surface! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

I have a sunburned face too. I do that the first dive day of every spring. It is not hot out, so I skip the sunscreen. Then I am out all day and get burned.

DOH! I even had sunscreen with me!

Dark Wolf
04-07-2008, 18:49
Same here with the sunburn!

We should start BB his own club......Deep, Dark, Cold, Narced, and PINK!
In honor of his coloring, AND his dive light that some of us remember so well!
:)

DW

maverick
04-07-2008, 20:28
I thought I was the only one with problems. On the 15th I couldn't equalize, so this opening day at Oranago was better I was able 2 equalize. Great day and dives. Lets do it again soon. And it was a great day 4 meeting new divers on the forum.

Brandon Belew
04-07-2008, 21:43
Same here with the sunburn!

We should start BB his own club......Deep, Dark, Cold, Narced, and PINK!
In honor of his coloring, AND his dive light that some of us remember so well!
:)

DW

All pink gear has been retired - unless of course you want me to paint my can-light pink and tie-die my wetsuit.

KennyD
04-08-2008, 22:12
Thanks again to Bob and Brandon for letting me dive with them. Sorry I had to split Sat. I may have said Hi to or spoke to some of you other guys. I was the Other guy in the BIG Grey and Black Wetsuit in the Ford Ranger parked on the shore side of the parking lot. Hope to formally meet alot of you from this forum.
Heading off to DUI days this weekend. Anybody else here going?

navyhmc
04-08-2008, 23:49
Hey Kenny, I totally understood. How is she doing? Hope things are going well for her (Aunt right?)

BTW, We'll have to go back and get you ths dives you missed.

KennyD
04-09-2008, 08:31
She Passed later that evening. Lived a very good life and was active up until the stroke and died at the age of 83. She lost her husband three weeks ago and I believe she was ready to join him.
I will be back to Oronogo the weekend of the 18th and bringing my wife along to dive also.

navyhmc
04-09-2008, 11:38
My condolences to you and your family. Unfortunately, the rest of this month is shot-I have work weekends as well as other commitments-maybe in May I will get back there. Jeff is wanting to work on some skills so we'll see.

Brandon Belew
04-09-2008, 12:05
I should be there, can't go this weekend due to a promise I made to my fiance.. knew I would regret it :D

Have to help her with some project or something

Dark Wolf
04-09-2008, 19:08
Sorry to hear about your loss, Kenny. Look forward to seeing you at Oronogo.

DW

KennyD
04-10-2008, 18:52
My LDS canceled our DUI Dog Day Dry Suit Class for this weekend and changed it to the first weekend of May and it's going to be at Oronogo. Hell, I may go there this weekend again just for kicks. Alot of rain and low vis. but hey....I just want to blow bubbles....

DivingCRNA
04-10-2008, 22:22
My LDS canceled our DUI Dog Day Dry Suit Class for this weekend and changed it to the first weekend of May and it's going to be at Oronogo. Hell, I may go there this weekend again just for kicks. Alot of rain and low vis. but hey....I just want to blow bubbles....

Just who is this "Bubbles" person...
:smilie39::smilie39:

navyhmc
04-10-2008, 22:38

Just who is this "Bubbles" person...
:smilie39::smilie39:

Oh man D/C..You did not just ask that!!!:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Wish I could be there.

But then again:

Friday: 50's, windy and partly cloudy,
Saturday: 50's windy and "Considerable cloudiness"
Sunday: 50's and partly cloudy

Brandon Belew
04-11-2008, 17:35
I might end up going tomorrow, if anyone else is going.

KennyD
04-11-2008, 18:36
I was going to take "Bubbles" AKA The Wife. But the weather dosen't look too good and this would be her first time to Oronogo. I'm going to have to pass for this weekend. Here is Pic of "Bubbles". Good to know you guys have a sense of humor!

texdiveguy
04-11-2008, 18:39
I was going to take "Bubbles" AKA The Wife. But the weather dosen't look too good and this would be her first time to Oronogo. I'm going to have to pass for this weekend. Here is Pic of "Bubbles". Good to know you guys have a sense of humor!

That's not Bubbles that's Daisy!

KennyD
04-11-2008, 22:50

That's not Bubbles that's Daisy! Daisy? Negative, That would be Jamie Davis AKA-My Wife. Or The Warden...:smilie39:

texdiveguy
04-12-2008, 00:53

That's not Bubbles that's Daisy! Daisy? Negative, That would be Jamie Davis AKA-My Wife. Or The Warden...:smilie39:

Well she looks like a Daisy I know, my error for sure......course Daisy was not a scuba diver as you say Jamie is, so you are lucky having a wife whom also dives....helps I bet in buying new dive stuff.

navyhmc
04-12-2008, 03:50
Well, if your daughter looks anything like your wife, I will take back my aforementioned shotgun at ready for her dates and recommend a Ma-Deuce or 240-G.

Still planning another Oronogo trip this weekend?

KennyD
04-12-2008, 08:57
Well, if your daughter looks anything like your wife, I will take back my aforementioned shotgun at ready for her dates and recommend a Ma-Deuce or 240-G.

Still planning another Oronogo trip this weekend?
Not going to make it to Oronogo this weekend. Going to stay here and finish up my Rescue Diver Cert. here in a Sand Pit.
Yes, The daughter is Too cute for 12yrs. old but has Not hit the pre-teens yet. She still thinks Dad is Cool. She has been riding motorcycle for 6 years now and I'm going to get her Open Water Cert. when it warms up. That Ford Ranger I drove to Oronogo is her's and she drives quite good for 12. I'm trying to get alot of the things out of the way so BOY'S don't have a whole lot to offer her...:smiley31: But who am I kidding?

cummings66
04-12-2008, 11:52
Just make sure you get her into a Judo class, that will help a lot when you're not around. When it comes to diving, take it slow.

texdiveguy
04-12-2008, 12:08
Just make sure you get her into a Judo class, that will help a lot when you're not around. When it comes to diving, take it slow.

Yea now Judo is a wonderful sport....loved it in high school!

cummings66
04-12-2008, 14:32
The thing about it is it's non violent, but if you know it I think in a typical date rape situation or like what we saw on CNN today with those girls beating another one up badly, it's perfect for it. You're in close contact to begin with and it'd be easy to use, and you don't have to hurt the other person.

For example, in the video on TV Osoto Gari would have been perfect, she could have made the door and got out with little damage to herself. A kick wouldn't have worked because she was too close, a throw would have been perfect giving time to run. Or, if needed you could simply lose the grip on the throw injuring the other person.

I am going to have my 5 year old learn Judo for this very reason, of course they don't teach these things until much later. At the early age it's more how to fall properly and safer things.

texdiveguy
04-12-2008, 15:30
The thing about it is it's non violent, but if you know it I think in a typical date rape situation or like what we saw on CNN today with those girls beating another one up badly, it's perfect for it. You're in close contact to begin with and it'd be easy to use, and you don't have to hurt the other person.

For example, in the video on TV Osoto Gari would have been perfect, she could have made the door and got out with little damage to herself. A kick wouldn't have worked because she was too close, a throw would have been perfect giving time to run. Or, if needed you could simply lose the grip on the throw injuring the other person.

I am going to have my 5 year old learn Judo for this very reason, of course they don't teach these things until much later. At the early age it's more how to fall properly and safer things.

Cool....that is a great activity for her......I only played AAU Judo a few years till college...but learned alot.

KennyD
04-12-2008, 21:35
Way ahead of you guy's. I use to make her do push-ups as a child when she got into trouble. She had been taking Judo for the past four years and even hunts with me. Taught her how to field strip a M16 at eight years old.

mm2002
04-14-2008, 09:26
oops, came in here to ask a question about Oronogo, but I guess that topic is long gone.:smiley36:

navyhmc
04-14-2008, 16:49
Ask away!!!!

mm2002
04-14-2008, 18:21
Ask away!!!!

OK, so what's the diving like there? Doesn't look like we're going to be diving TR any time soon, and Oronogo is an easy 1 1/2 hr drive. Depths, temps, things to see, etc. I'm interested. Keep in mind though, I'm not really into Judo.

KennyD
04-14-2008, 20:29
Ask away!!!!

OK, so what's the diving like there? Doesn't look like we're going to be diving TR any time soon, and Oronogo is an easy 1 1/2 hr drive. Depths, temps, things to see, etc. I'm interested. Keep in mind though, I'm not really into Judo.
Sorry about that getting off topic. :smiley31: Max is around 210Ft. vis. has been around 10ft. to 15 I would have to say. My D9 showed 47deg. at 127ft. a couple of weeks ago. There is a small airplane, car dump. a couple of boats at different depths, several walls that lead into shafts. A couple training platforms. Some shafts that lead up to open water above from rooms below. I'm sure there are guy's here who can chime in anytime and give you the full 411 on the place better than I can.
I myself enjoy the place but I like dark and gloomy.

navyhmc
04-14-2008, 21:43
Kenny pretty much covered it. A lot of folks go here for training-especially Tec as it's deep enough to get the depths needed for the last few dives. Right now the water level is up about 10' above normal pool and as a result of all the rain in the area the vis has suffered. The vis usually runs about 20'-30' below the 'cline and around 10'-15' above. The thermocline is usually around 30' during the summer. Temps right now are 58 at the surface and 46-48f at depth.

If you've never dove Oronogo before, it's best to go with someone who has as they know the lay of the pit so to speak. But generally speaking, there are a few statues in the shallows as well as 3 platforms at 20': One about 50' out from the entrance and 2 to the south about 300' One is under the white bouy and has a guide rope leading to the other platform as well as the plane. The plane is an Aerostar 610 in 40' of water (under the red bouy when it's not underwater as it is right now). If you follow the guide rope past the plane it leads to a group of 5-10 cars-looks like they were pushed over the edge of the pit back in the 50's.

Some of the other sights are "The Doors" or "Four Doors" that are right out from the entrance in about 90' of water. These are essentinally caverns and should not be entered unless you're trained. Now as caverns, they are somewhat safe, but still... There is also a 30' cabin cruiser at 95'-100'. This one is down to the platform by the entrance, follow the anchor line to the bottom and folow the guide rope north about 100' and there it sits. There is a "Dog house" about another 150' north in 110' of water. As of right now, there is no line to it.

The daily cost is $12 per diver, air is $4 for up to 3000 psi and $6-$7 for HP fills. Nitrox is available on site and is $.10 per cu ft. John can blend whatever you want, but it seems that 32% is the norm. Since he does partial pressure fills, it's good to have the tank all but empty.

There are a number of forum members that live in the area and are there frequently: Diving CRNA, Brandon Belew and Dark Wolf/Little Wolf to name 3 (little wolf is DW's daughter) Depending when you want to go, just drop a line on ST and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding someone to help you out.

Hope this helps,

'Navy

navyhmc
04-14-2008, 21:45
BTW, it's not the unofficial home of DDCN for nothing (Deep, Dark, Cold and Narc'd):smilie39: :smiley20: :smiley20: :smiley_scuba:

KennyD
04-14-2008, 22:40
Looks like I've got a "Kitchen Pass" for the weekend. Wife is going to be at Church Assemblys all weekend so I'm going diving. Heading to Oronogo!

mm2002
04-16-2008, 12:32
Thanks for the info guys! Sounds fun!