PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in Florida

mm2002
04-07-2008, 12:29
We're going to be moving this time next year, and we are seriously considering somewhere around the gulf, probably Florida. Good diving is a must, and things look really inviting around the Pensacola to Destin area. We don't really want to live right on the coast, but perhaps inland a bit. Does anyone here live around that area? Goods? Bads?

mentalmarine
04-07-2008, 14:27
We're going to be moving this time next year, and we are seriously considering somewhere around the gulf, probably Florida. Good diving is a must, and things look really inviting around the Pensacola to Destin area. We don't really want to live right on the coast, but perhaps inland a bit. Does anyone here live around that area? Goods? Bads?

mmmm Moving to Florida, sounds good to me. I would definitly be interested into some insight as well.

Black-Gorrilla
04-07-2008, 15:06
you wanna live in the north? mid? south?

if in the south, i'd say somewhere between ft.Lauderdale to homestead. you have the keys minutes from homestead, and plenty of diving around ft. Lauderdale area.

mike_s
04-07-2008, 16:27

The FL Panhandle is a great area, but be warned that besides P'cola, it's mostly "small towns" that swell during tourist season and cater to tourist traffic.

Pensacola is much larger and has much more to offer for someone living there full time. (in my opinion). Destin is growing though. Ft Walton between them has plenty to offer also. If you go inland however, you've got Niceville just north of the area, which is decent, then Eglin AFB blocks out the next 15 miles or so until you get to Crestview, which brings you up to I-10. North of that is mostly "the sticks".

I guess for your listed occupation "Classic car restoration" could just about be done in any of the areas, depending if you work on your own or want to for a shop. Destin, etc has "a lot of money" in town. I would guess the further north you go, the less you would see, but of course land is cheaper also to operate a business on. You'd have to look into that.

how about the diving? can't believe you didn't ask about the diving?

Major ports that have dive charters departing is East Pass (Destin/FWB), St Andrews Pass (Panama City), Pensacola, and then over to Perdido Pass, which is right on the AL/FL state line. All have charter boat operators that leave out of these areas. The ones in Destin and Panama City have a reputation of being wimpy and going only to the closest wrecks though. All the ones in P'cola are catering to the Oriskany crowd, as are some of the Perido Pass (orange beach/Gulf shores) crowd.

Overall it's a lot of great wreck diving if you can get on a boat that will go to the wreck you want.

North of that area is a small network of freshwater springs that stay at about 68f all year round. So if the ocean is blown out, then you can still typically dive.

hope that helps. mike

divingchef
04-07-2008, 17:04

you still doing the car thing in FL? northern FL/pan-handle has more potential "clients" for you in my opinion....south FL may be more euro-sedans etc....just something to think about....I lived in Tampa for a while...not a bad place.....do you have to be on the beach? Monticello is beautiful, but no salt water....

mm2002
04-07-2008, 18:31

Mike, re-read my post: "Good diving is a must!" :smiley36:

Thanks for all the info, this kind of stuff will really help in our decision. Actually, yes it will be nice having access to some good wrecks, and boats to get us there, but even more importantly is the freedom to head out on a quick afternoon jaunt and do some shore diving. We don't want to live anywhere that you can't have some easy quick access to shore diving (even fresh water). Thanks again Mike.

divingchef
04-07-2008, 18:37

Mike, re-read my post: "Good diving is a must!" :smiley36:

Thanks for all the info, this kind of stuff will really help in our decision. Actually, yes it will be nice having access to some good wrecks, and boats to get us there, but even more importantly is the freedom to head out on a quick afternoon jaunt and do some shore diving. We don't want to live anywhere that you can't have some easy quick access to shore diving (even fresh water). Thanks again Mike.

what about Cabo? I know a few good spots....its kind fo like Florida, just less snowbirds
:smiley2:

mm2002
04-07-2008, 18:43
you still doing the car thing in FL? northern FL/pan-handle has more potential "clients" for you in my opinion....south FL may be more euro-sedans etc....just something to think about....I lived in Tampa for a while...not a bad place.....do you have to be on the beach? Monticello is beautiful, but no salt water....

Well brother, actually I'm hanging up the car biz. It's taking its toll on my health with all of the chemicals, toxic dust, fumes, etc. Not only that, but I'm having a hard time lately financially. Our economy is getting less and less tolerant of those old gas guzzling large cubic inch engines, and the customers are getting fewer and farther between. Over the last two years I have watched the value of the cars drop an average of 30%, and that comes right out of my pocket. Everyone thinks that will change, but I'm done fighting, and I'm not willing to lose everything I have waiting for that "change". I hate the thought of a career change at my age, but I think I'm being forced to make that decision. My wife works in the travel industry, so in order for her to continue to grow in her business, we pretty much have to move to another tourist destination. What I'm going to do after we get there....I really don't know yet. It's kind of scary to me.

divingchef
04-07-2008, 18:48

Well brother, actually I'm hanging up the car biz. It's taking its toll on my health with all of the chemicals, toxic dust, fumes, etc. Not only that, but I'm having a hard time lately financially. Our economy is getting less and less tolerant of those old gas guzzling large cubic inch engines, and the customers are getting fewer and farther between. Over the last two years I have watched the value of the cars drop an average of 30%, and that comes right out of my pocket. Everyone thinks that will change, but I'm done fighting, and I'm not willing to lose everything I have waiting for that "change". I hate the thought of a career change at my age, but I think I'm being forced to make that decision. My wife works in the travel industry, so in order for her to continue to grow in her business, we pretty much have to move to another tourist destination. What I'm going to do after we get there....I really don't know yet. It's kind of scary to me.

Get your DM!! Live to Dive, Dive to Live.....or become a golf pro!!

or alligator wrestler, or male dancer.....

(this one is serious) there are alot of NASCAR garages in the south who could put your skills to work in their garages, you go home at night, and they bare the costs....i'll put together a list of local shops in florida where you might be able to get on....i think David Reudiman's garage in in Zephyr Hills or somewhere around there...

or just hang out, surf fish, dive when you can and let your wife make all the money....thats my goal in life!! :smiley29:

mm2002
04-07-2008, 18:55
Get your DM!! Live to Dive, Dive to Live.....or become a golf pro!!

or alligator wrestler, or male dancer.....

(this one is serious) there are alot of NASCAR garages in the south who could put your skills to work in their garages, you go home at night, and they bare the costs....i'll put together a list of local shops in florida where you might be able to get on....i think David Reudiman's garage in in Zephyr Hills or somewhere around there...

or just hang out, surf fish, dive when you can and let your wife make all the money....thats my goal in life!! :smiley29:

Actually, a diving career is something I've talked about VERY seriously with the wife, and she's behind me 100%. I can't imagine anything more rewarding to do with my older years. Problem is, there doesn't appear to be a lot of money in it. If I thought I could earn a decent living diving, don't think I wouldn't be all over it.

As far as the Nascar thing, too many rednecks for me! :smiley36:

Splitlip
04-07-2008, 20:04
Well, I think the south east coast is much easier access to better diving. Jupiter on south. Boat rides are as little as 20 minutes to get on some beautiful reefs and wrecks.

Shore diving for scuba, Ft Lauderdale is the best I here. In My area, pretty much have just the Blue Heron bridge. There are people there that dive almost every week. I use it for equipment checks when I have 1000 psi or so left in a tank after a boat dive. (if the tides are right).

Blue Heron Bridge (http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS06RF01.shtml)

mm2002
04-07-2008, 20:20
Thanks for the info Splitlip.

mike_s
04-07-2008, 23:03
We don't want to live anywhere that you can't have some easy quick access to shore diving (even fresh water). Thanks again Mike.

In the panhandle, these are the major shore diving spots.

starting west, heading east.

Whiskey Wreck (Gulf Shores): 150 yards from beach in Gulf Shores. remains of hull and 'ribs' of hull structure. sunk in 1906. depth 4' to 15' on average

Perdido Pass: Pass/inlet in Orange Beach. narrow and boat traffic.

Ft Pickens: Penscola beach inlet. good shore dive, but in park closed due to hurricane damage. They are supposed to rebuild this year I think.

Navarre Pier: Pier in Navarre (between Ft Walton and P'cola) that was damaged in hurricane. sections missing and rubble piles

East Pass: (Destin). park on gulf shore drive and hike access to water. most everyone dives the "finger jetty" great dive. with currents, bottom changes. sometimes lots of crabs in rocks and lots of sand dollars on bottom. great dive. lots of boat traffic but average 55' deep in main channel so no worries unless you go shallow.

Crystal Pier Pilings (Destin): pier pilings that were cut off at the water line. used to be a good dive up to about 15 or 18 feet, but 2 years ago beach erosion made it very shallow 8' to 10'. last year the did beach restoration and covered all the pier pilings that were left underwater. MIght become a great shore dive again someday if the sand moves around again.

St. Andrews Pass (Panama City): St andrews state park and inlet. jetties run length of channel. THe only shore dive in the area that has a fee, which is $5 per vehicle, but with this you get plenty of parking and pavillions to gear up in, plus bathrooms, and other beach amenities (beach store, sometimes airfills on site if compressor is working, shower house, chair rentals, etc).

HOpe this all helps.

You might want to pick up Ned DeLoaches book and read about sites in the area.

Osprey
04-08-2008, 07:39
I ran away from Missouri to live in Florida too, haha :)

Anyway, I think the springs on the gulf side are really nice, there are some places that don't get too crowded during the week as well. Rivers are very clear and no gators in some, yay! ;)

Grin
04-08-2008, 09:30
I am not 100% certain, but: The bottom structure is going to be 100% different when talking about the Gulf side(especially the North Gulf side) vs SE Florida (Jupiter south all the way to Key West). The difference would be sand 99% vs easily found tropical fish and decent rock reef. The SE coast also offers Gulf Stream influenced water, meaning much warmer year round, and much clearer year round. And the SE coast drops off to about 100 ft deep within about one mile from Ft Lauderdale Beach vs the Gulf will need about a 30-40 mile trip to see 100ft.
One way to investigate your choice of area is to look up dive boat charter operations in the areas you are wanting to live in. If the dive conditions are favorable enough to support these charter operations, the diving can be expected to be what you want. If there are only a few operations(or none) then you probably can take a clue.
I live about 20 miles North of Jupiter Florida, and the difference is night and day. Jupiter has a fleet of dive operations for good reason(great conditions). Stuart has no dive operations. About once every couple years, I will see a dive boat move into town and they last about 6 months, due to Conditions. Here(Stuart) the dive conditons are only good about 50 % of the time, if that. And most people would say conditions are only good 10% of the time. Thus dive boats fail to succeed in this area. It's not that bad, but not the tropical paradise, easy, warm, diving many want.
I routinly drive down to friends in Ft LAuderdale and the conditions there are too good to be true 90% of the time. And the reefs are beautiful, water warm, visibility great, boat trip is about a mile or two from the inlet. Anywhere from Key West to around Jupiter is similer, but Ft L has great access for beach divers compared to everywhere else. I cannot imagine anywere on the Gulf side having close to land diving comparable to SE Florida even close to being comparable. I could be wrong though!

mentalmarine
04-08-2008, 13:30
I am not 100% certain, but: The bottom structure is going to be 100% different when talking about the Gulf side(especially the North Gulf side) vs SE Florida (Jupiter south all the way to Key West). The difference would be sand 99% vs easily found tropical fish and decent rock reef. The SE coast also offers Guld stream influenced water, meaning much warmer year round, and much clearer year round. And the SE coast drops off to about 100 ft deep in about one mile from Ft Lauderdale vs the Gulf will need about a 40 mile trip to see 100ft.
One way to investigate your choice of area is to loo up diev baot charter operations in the areas you are wanting to live in. If the dive conditions are great and favorable enough to support these charter operations the diving can be expected to be what you want. If there are only a few operations(or none) than you probably can take a clue.
I live about 20 miles North of Jupiter Florida and the difference is night and day. Jupiter has a fleet of dive operations for good reason(great conditions). Start has no dive operations. About once every couple year I will see a dive boat move into town and they last about 6 months due to Conditions. Here(Stuart) the dive conditons are only good about 50 % of the time if that. An most people would possibly say they are only good 10% of the time. Thus dive boats failt to succeed in this area.
I routinly drive down to friends in Ft LAuderdale and the conditions there are too good to be true 90% of the time. And the reefs are beautiful, water warm, visibility great, boat trip is about a mile or two from the inlet. Anywhere from Key West to around Jupiter is similer, but Ft L has great access for beach divers compared to everywhere else. I cannot imagine anywere on the Gulf side having close to land diving comparable to SE Florida even close to being comparable. I could be wrong though!

That is some great information! I have been looking around the FT. L area. My wife has some family down there which would make it a little easier if we move down there.

DarinMartell
04-08-2008, 14:30
Not all of the Gulf is shallow. The owner of the boat I went out on in Destin told us that the deep water in the gulf looks like a trangle with the point at Destin. It means you hit deep water in close at Destin, pretty close from Pensecola and Panama City (either side of Destin), but it is farther and farther as you go down most of the Gulf coast.

mm2002
04-09-2008, 19:17
Thanks for the info Darin, we're still checking out the possibilities. Real Estate is also a consideration for us. I'm not paying a half a mil for a tiny house on a tiny lot, I like my space!

mm2002
04-09-2008, 19:37
I have to be honest here, and reveal other reasons for our move. I hope nobody is offended.
I am so damned sick and tired of all these toothless backwards assed welfare sucking crack smoking mentally retarded inbred hillbilly losers, that if I don't get out of here soon, I'm going to be in prison for shooting somebody. In all my life, I've never been forced to live in the company of so many absolute piece of crap excuses for human beings that I am forced to deal with here. My family deserves better than this, and I'll be damned if I'm going to raise my kids in this environment.
OK, there, I said it. I feel better.
Oh, and somebody please tell me what part of Florida or the surrounding area is COMPLETELY out of the bible belt. I'll take the lesser of the good diving spots to get away from that. :smiley36:

Grin
04-10-2008, 08:58
Just remember! All the criminals hide in Florida.
On a good note we do have the bible thumpers under control here. Seeing that there is no law in Florida and noone believes in that bible stuff they get no satisfaction here.:smilie39:

mm2002
04-10-2008, 10:11
I can deal with the criminals! It's the bible thumpers I have a hard time with. :smiley36:

Splitlip
04-10-2008, 11:10
South East Florida used to be a NYC suburb. (I am a New Yorker). More and more natives now.
North Palm, Jupiter and Southern Martin County is still not big city, but cosmopolitan enough.
You start going north from here, you are actually heading south. (some big coastal towns are exceptions.) Same as you go west until you hit the gulf.

mm2002
04-10-2008, 12:03
South East Florida used to be a NYC suburb. (I am a New Yorker). More and more natives now.
North Palm, Jupiter and Southern Martin County is still not big city, but cosmopolitan enough.
You start going north from here, you are actually heading south. (some big coastal towns are exceptions.) Same as you go west until you hit the gulf.

What are property values like in your area? I'm wanting at least 2 acres, and I figured we'd have to be a little more inland to find anything like that. We have found some reasonably priced outside of Jacksonville though.

Osprey
04-10-2008, 12:22
I am so damned sick and tired of all these toothless backwards assed welfare sucking crack smoking mentally retarded inbred hillbilly losers...

I'd take a long visit to wherever you're moving then, especially Jax.. I have a friend that way and every week there is another drug bust or child abuse case only a street or two away. Lots of panhandlers over here in Tampa.

And if you want property.. yeah, I'd prolly go inland.. save a few bucks depending on the area.. and let's face it, it's not as if Florida is a terribly huge state to drive across to get to water! :smiley36:

scubasamurai
04-10-2008, 12:47
florida is home to toothless pickup driving redneck's living in double wides. most of the homes around by me are great and a nice neighborhood, but as soon as you drive less than 1/3 mile there are the broken down trucks in front of the really broken down double wides. there all over. if your truley looking for a place in florida, free of the trash and bible beaters it will be hard to find. if you head south you have the people that lived in those areas forever and their houses show it. the central florida is a mix of weathly and poor.
if i were you i pick an area and RENT for a couple of months and see how the area really is. the insurance, taxes are high especially if you live near water. the schools are not the best ( were talking jeb bush for a couple years as gov)
the good thing is the weather and diving are great. so pick an area and do your research carefully. no matter where you go in florida your going to get the trash that your looking to get away from. you just have to find an area that has less of it and is on the way out!
good luck

ScottZeagle
04-10-2008, 14:29
If diving was my main reason for moving to Florida, I would look somewhere in the Jupiter area...or at least the east coast of Florida.

Reason being, you are only minutes away from the dive site, as opposed to places on the west coast, where you need to ride an hour or more on the boat to get to a decent dive spot.

I tell my friends on the east coast that they are "Starbuck's Divers"....leave the dock at 7:30am, do a couple of dives, and are still back in time to grab a coffee in the morning. If we do a west coast dive trip, it is pretty much an all day affair!

Good luck!

Scott

Splitlip
04-10-2008, 17:18
:smiley20: Latte Grande!

mentalmarine
04-10-2008, 17:24
starbuck diver.....mmmm that sounds nice! How is the job market down there?

Splitlip
04-10-2008, 17:56

What are property values like in your area? I'm wanting at least 2 acres, and I figured we'd have to be a little more inland to find anything like that. We have found some reasonably priced outside of Jacksonville though.

Check realtor.com for Palm Beach and Martin County. also check palmbeachpost.com classifieds

In palm Beach Jupiter Farms used to be the deal. Right off the interstate, big lots, native vegitation, horses and still only 15 minute ride to the beach. As prices rose, out of town people began buying and building now trying to pave the roads. Burt Reynolds had his ranch there.

Place called the acreage west of Lake Park and west Palm. Cheaper still in the country. Non native trees there so the demand is not as high and it is also not West Jupiter. Some deals may be had there. Still realatively convenient.

Splitlip
04-10-2008, 17:58
starbuck diver.....mmmm that sounds nice! How is the job market down there?

Not what it was 2 years ago. Still seem to be a lot of IT jobs happening.

News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds for Palm Beach County & Treasure Coast (http://www.palmbeachpost.com) classifieds will give you an idea.

mm2002
04-10-2008, 19:02
Again, thank you all for the info. Please keep it coming. We have at least a year to narrow down the possibilities, and you guys are helping a lot! I can't even begin to say how much I appreciate all of your input! :smiley20:

Grin
04-11-2008, 07:25
florida is home to toothless pickup driving redneck's living in double wides. most of the homes around by me are great and a nice neighborhood, but as soon as you drive less than 1/3 mile there are the broken down trucks in front of the really broken down double wides. there all over. if your truley looking for a place in florida, free of the trash and bible beaters it will be hard to find. if you head south you have the people that lived in those areas forever and their houses show it. the central florida is a mix of weathly and poor.
if i were you i pick an area and RENT for a couple of months and see how the area really is. the insurance, taxes are high especially if you live near water. the schools are not the best ( were talking jeb bush for a couple years as gov)
the good thing is the weather and diving are great. so pick an area and do your research carefully. no matter where you go in florida your going to get the trash that your looking to get away from. you just have to find an area that has less of it and is on the way out!
good luck

I take it you live in Orlando ? :smilie39:

Grin
04-11-2008, 07:33

The tropical reef pretty blue water 99% of the year conditions ends right between Stuart and Jupiter. You can see the coast kind of turns NW at this point and the Gulf stream influence does not turn. So Jacksonville, has great fishing and great spearfishing and miles and miles of less than 100 ft deep water to explore. But it does not have great visibility like Jupiter(and South of there) does all the time. I ive in Stuart and the doiffernce between Stuart and Jupiter (15 miles) is often dramatic. As I stated earlier, there are zero dive charter boats in Stuart, and about 15 of them in Jupiter. So that should tell you something. I bet there are zero dive boats out of Jacksonville. Of course there are boats for hire that can accomadate dive trips but no dedicated daily running boats like to the South. It depends on what you ar ewanting to do. If spearfishing is your goal then Jacksonville is superior to Jupiter. If Photography and pretty reefs and tropical fish is your goal then South of Jupiter is 100 times better.

mm2002
04-11-2008, 19:35
After doing a little sightseeing with the flood and all, we stopped by the grocery store on the way home. I had my wife snap this pic. This is an example of what I don't want to see when we go out to shop for groceries, etc. Is this even possible anywhere in the USA, or do we just need to move out of the country? Look closely, it's even got a home made trailer hitch on it!!!

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/impala.jpg

mentalmarine
04-12-2008, 14:41
geeez....lay off the haterade :) Not everyone can afford a 2 Ton Truck with a nice hitch on it.

mm2002
04-12-2008, 19:57
geeez....lay off the haterade :) Not everyone can afford a 2 Ton Truck with a nice hitch on it.

Was that YOUR car?? Oh man, sorry if I insulted you. I really didn't intend it that way. I love poor people just as much as the next guy, I just don't want to be one. :smiley2:

mentalmarine
04-12-2008, 20:13
http://www.djmonkeyboy.com/clothing/haterade-logo.jpg
Nah just given ya a hard time, hey I found a shirt for ya :)

mentalmarine
04-12-2008, 20:17
sorry I didnt mean to side track the thread, I am looking to move to florida too, and I have to pick a few counties that I would like to live in. This thread is really helping me narrow the choices down.

mm2002
04-12-2008, 20:51
sorry I didnt mean to side track the thread, I am looking to move to florida too, and I have to pick a few counties that I would like to live in. This thread is really helping me narrow the choices down.

Hey, we may end up neighbors! If I see that car parked in your driveway, and you live on my block, I'm going to put you in the trunk and have it sent to the crusher. Far enough? I'm really a nice neighbor though. :smiley2:

mentalmarine
04-12-2008, 22:13

Hey, we may end up neighbors! If I see that car parked in your driveway, and you live on my block, I'm going to put you in the trunk and have it sent to the crusher. Far enough? I'm really a nice neighbor though. :smiley2:

lol....crap!

Osprey
04-13-2008, 09:10
After doing a little sightseeing with the flood and all, we stopped by the grocery store on the way home. I had my wife snap this pic. This is an example of what I don't want to see when we go out to shop for groceries, etc. Is this even possible anywhere in the USA, or do we just need to move out of the country?

I wish that's the worst I'd have seen in my Floridian travels. On my way to Orlando there is a stretch of land with a bunch of trailers stuck into holes in the ground, so the nose end is buried into the earth, the other facing skyward.

mm2002
04-13-2008, 12:33
I wish that's the worst I'd have seen in my Floridian travels. On my way to Orlando there is a stretch of land with a bunch of trailers stuck into holes in the ground, so the nose end is buried into the earth, the other facing skyward.

Oh, trust me, that's far from the worst we see around this neck of the woods. It was just a convenient photo op.
Honestly, I don't look down on "poor" people, I'm far from wealthy myself. It doesn't bother me that some people have to drive old beat up cars either. A lot of those people just got dealt a bad hand in life, and that's that. What irritates me is the people that have the ability to better themselves, but choose not to. They are the ones who are in fine physical and mental health, but are too lazy to work, and use the "system" to get by. Not too long ago, several convenience stores in our area would accept food stamps for damn near anything. On a regular basis, I'd see people in there who were stocking up on cigarettes and beer, and using the food stamps to pay for them. They would go get in their piece of crap car that wasn't even safe to be on the road, and head off to the grocery store for a case of ramen noodles. What's worse, is that they usually had 3 or 4 nasty dirty malnutritioned looking kids tagging along. Those kids are in training, and they will likely grow up with the same attitude. Those people should be sterilized so they don't continue to pollute our society. I'm not a people hater, but damn, these people just disgust me.

Anyway, that wasn't the point of this thread, but it's an example of something I want my family away from.

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 14:32

What's worse, is that they usually had 3 or 4 nasty dirty malnutritioned looking kids tagging along. Those kids are in training, and they will likely grow up with the same attitude.

I like the term "in training" :smiley36:. Sadly, it's a self fulfilling prophecy for many.

mm2002
04-13-2008, 16:30
I like the term "in training" :smiley36:. Sadly, it's a self fulfilling prophecy for many.

Yes, and it's very very sad.

scubasamurai
04-13-2008, 16:53
good luck

I take it you live in Orlando ? :smilie39:

actually i am 40 minutes away, land o lakes ring a bell. at least i don't live in hudson. those cars are cadi's for most of those people out there :smiley36:

scubasamurai
04-13-2008, 16:56
After doing a little sightseeing with the flood and all, we stopped by the grocery store on the way home. I had my wife snap this pic. This is an example of what I don't want to see when we go out to shop for groceries, etc. Is this even possible anywhere in the USA, or do we just need to move out of the country?

those are the air stream trailers that a RICH rv salesman/owner who has a shop nearby uses for an "advertisement". he calls it art but the people who actually live there want it removed. they are in court right now because the county told him to remove it. he (salesman) says it is modeled after the cadillac graveyard? in texas. calls it art , if that is art than i have a bunch of trailers down the road i want to start charging admission to :smiley32:

Grin
04-15-2008, 08:14
Also realize you have to cut that pony tail off before we can let you in, That is unless unless you decide on Orlando. :spit:

And no ElCaminos or Subarus!

Splitlip
04-15-2008, 10:52
Is it a pony tail or a mullet?

Definitely NO mullets!:smilie39:
(except for Clewiston)

mm2002
04-15-2008, 11:04
I really appreciate the hair advice guys......:smiley36:

Capt Grumby
04-19-2008, 11:48
The Pensacola to Panama City stretch of North West Florida has been mentioned a number of times so far. In reading through this thread, I think that you could do very well in that area. It is true that the land on the water is maxed out and very expensive, but by driving 25 miles north to Crestview, you reduce your housing/land costs considerably. That is also one of the only places you will be able to find acreage. That puts you well within striking distance of Panama City, Pensacola, Mobile, and the Panhandle Springs (Morrison and Vortex being the closest). Yes, it may take a few minutes of pre-planning, but it is worth it.
The other VERY important part that Crestview has to offer is demographics. Understand that you will be very hard pressed to get away from the "welfare-syndrome" that exists in almost every area of our country. It even exists here. However, we have a large military population (USAF) in this area. That goes a long way in bringing up the standard. Not because they are paid well, but because they are trained to be responsible and accountable. Obviously this comment is a generalization, and there will be exceptions, but I have found them to be few and far between.
Now let me put the icing on the cake. There is a rumor that one of the units here are leaving over the course of the next year and a half. I have heard that it effects over 1200 families. IF this rumor is true, then a good percentage of those families will be putting homes on the market. That will be very bad for someone looking to sell, but a buyer just may find a VERY good deal in such a flooded market.
Since you mentioned that your timeline is a year out, you want acreage, good diving, and your wife needs a "tourist Destination" for her work. NW Florida is the obvious choice!

enterkin
04-19-2008, 17:33
One thing to consider if you're looking at Pensacola is that it is squarely inside the Bible Belt. Pensacola Christian College students sidewalk preach and they stand on street corners shouting scripture. Also there really isn't much shore diving in Pensacola. The jetties at Ft. Pickens have been closed since hurricane Ivan, and even then you can only dive there at slack tide.

Crestview, slightly east of Pensacola, is closer to Destin (shore diving in the jetties at high tide only, but with a 0.25 mile walk across soft sand carrying a full set of gear) and Ponce de Leon (Morrison's and Vortex springs). If you don't mind poor visibility people also dive in Cinco Bayou near Ft. Walton Beach. Crestview is also a bit closer to Panama City and the St. Andrew's jetties as well.

johnyringo
04-19-2008, 20:26
I have to be honest here, and reveal other reasons for our move. I hope nobody is offended.
I am so damned sick and tired of all these toothless backwards assed welfare sucking crack smoking mentally retarded inbred hillbilly losers, that if I don't get out of here soon, I'm going to be in prison for shooting somebody. In all my life, I've never been forced to live in the company of so many absolute piece of crap excuses for human beings that I am forced to deal with here. My family deserves better than this, and I'll be damned if I'm going to raise my kids in this environment.
Oh, and somebody please tell me what part of Florida or the surrounding area is COMPLETELY out of the bible belt. I'll take the lesser of the good diving spots to get away from that. :smiley36:

Now. don't hold back, let it all out and you'll feel better! :smiley31: Seriously though brother, it sounds like you're talking about California there. Guess it's the same all over.

scuba Widow
04-20-2008, 23:48

Now. don't hold back, let it all out and you'll feel better! :smiley31: Seriously though brother, it sounds like you're talking about California there. Guess it's the same all over.

Exactly, but I can honestly say that we moved to Tennessee for a slower pace of life and the opportunity to continue to speak English and remain American. The area was slowing becoming to big of a melting pot for us. We lived in a very small town about 15 minutes outside of Orlando and alot of what you want to get away from is all over the state, you just have to look to find the better areas to live in. The trash and and bible thumpers will find and haunt you no matter where you run and hide.

UltimateAg
04-21-2008, 01:23
Just a few thoughts mm2002:

You WILL NOT be out of the bible belt or the toothless welfare belt either if you live in Crestview. My family and I moved here from Houston two years ago. Our first week here, we saw a girl not more than 15 years old, pregnant, wearing a proud to be a confederate mom t-shirt...we knew it was going to be an experience. This area is called L.A., no not for its sophistication but Lower Alabama. Another interesting truism they don't tell you until you move here is that if you cut out the coast of FL it's basically Alabama.

Having said that, I'd choose this area again simply because of what you stated earlier, you want some space, which is something that is not available south of Eglin AFB (Niceville, Valpairaso, Fort Walton Beach, Destin). The housing bubble burst here 2.5 years ago, and as a result prices have slowly gone down. Not sure if we've hit bottom yet, but I wouldn't expect it to go alot further.

It's an hour to Pensacola and 45 minutes to Destin. If your wife wants to shop at somewhere other than Walmart or Lowe's (seriously, I'm not kidding that's it) then that's where you're headed.

The beaches here are absolutely gorgeous. Nicer than anything I've seen in the Caribbean or Hawaii. The sand is like sugar and the water is emerald green. Simply breathtaking at any time of day.

So it's still very much in the bible belt and I would not call this area "great" for diving either. But yes there's acreage available and the beaches are awesome.

UltimateAg
04-21-2008, 01:40
Now let me put the icing on the cake. There is a rumor that one of the units here are leaving over the course of the next year and a half. I have heard that it effects over 1200 families. IF this rumor is true, then a good percentage of those families will be putting homes on the market. That will be very bad for someone looking to sell, but a buyer just may find a VERY good deal in such a flooded market.

That was the 46th Test Wing (46TW) and after 2 RAND reports and legislation the wing isn't going anywhere anytime soon (although they are consolidating command under Edwards AFB). But it doesn't matter if that's your interest. It's already a buyer's market with a glut of homes on the market. You can regularly read in the paper about how bad the real estate market is: local real estate agents are praying for a market upswing (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/6725) and they think it's going to take years to sell what they currently have on the market.

mm2002
04-21-2008, 10:23
Thanks for the info folks. Honestly, I think we've ruled out the gulf side.

Largo
04-22-2008, 10:12
I love Florida. You see such weird stuff there.

Example, I was walking down a beach in Sarasota. There was an Amish man outside of a beach house, smoking a cigarette. His wife walked out on the veranda, and he yelled, "Hey Babe! Throw me a beer!"

In case you're wondering if they were going to a costume party, I don't think so. There is a large Amish population in Sarasota. You see guys driving a horse and buggy down the same street with Ferraris and such.

Trey9123
04-22-2008, 10:20
I'm going to be graduation with a teaching degree in December, and am also looking to relocate to somewhere near the coast. I'm thinking the Wilmington area of NC though. But I guess FL would be nice. Just a little hot for my tastes.

Largo
04-22-2008, 10:26
DUDE!

I was thinking of transferring my cert. to Florida. The Sarasota school district pays very well. Heck, subs make $130 a day. Property values are in freefall there, also, so it is a good time to buy.

Wilmington is awesome. When I lived in NC, I went there as much as I could. Aquatic Safaris is a really good shop. The diving is great. The water is reasonably warm there, because of the Gulf Stream.

Largo
04-22-2008, 10:27
Oops, just noticed that you were an NC diver. Sorry about repeating info that you already know.

Largo
04-22-2008, 10:34
I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.

Congratulations! Hopefully, I will be in your situation one day.

mm2002
04-23-2008, 19:29
I'm going to be graduation with a teaching degree in December, and am also looking to relocate to somewhere near the coast. I'm thinking the Wilmington area of NC though. But I guess FL would be nice. Just a little hot for my tastes.

For what this is worth, we've spent a lot of time in the Wilmington area. One of our favorite vacation spots for the last 9 years was Kure Beach. Until recently, we were planning our move to that area, but after a lot of research, it isn't for us. Unless you want to charter a boat every time you want to dive, forget it. Yes, there are a lot of cool wrecks in the area (a little more up around Wrightsville) but that's about it. If you want a leisurely weekend shore dive on your own schedule, forget it. Also, if you'll check out the average temps, FL is not really any warmer that NC area. At least not enough to be a deciding factor. Lat but not least, the crime rate in Wilmington is terrible....and we're bringing along two young children.

ratown
04-25-2008, 12:51
Don't come to Fort Myers. It's already too crowded.

mm2002
04-25-2008, 13:28
Don't come to Fort Myers. It's already too crowded.

Check!