PDA

View Full Version : UPS

Beaucoupfishies
04-07-2008, 18:58
Ever since we moved to Tampa, we continually have issues with UPS delivering our packages. I suspect that our driver is just a slacker and deliberately creates an error to not have to deliver things that day. I just thought I'd check to see if anyone else had had similar experiences.

Whenever I'm tracking a package, it'll show that it's going out to be delivered to us, but then the guy won't show, and at the end of the day the UPS site will say, "A CORRECT STREET NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION". But every time I call them, they say they have the right address and will send it out again tomorrow.

It's not a complex street address, and neither Fedex nor DHL seem to ever have an issue finding it.

I'm mostly just miffed because the order that was supposed to come today was from ST. :smiley21:

Defman
04-07-2008, 19:49
Typically UPS (I used to work there) frowns upon drivers who come back to the center with packages. Unless things have changed, those packages come back off of the truck, are cycled through the system again, and put back on the truck.

But that's not to say you don't have a lazy driver, that happens too. I was expecting my ST package last Thurday (I happened to have been working at home that day) and the driver never came to my door, he just dumped the package at the apt. office...

It's a tough call, I'm not usually home and I kinda can't blame the driver for not wanting to run up three flights of stairs when the chance that anyone will be home is pretty slim. Then again, that is his/her job.

Soonerwink
04-07-2008, 20:21
I am a UPS driver, and it is true some lazy drivers do enter packages as incorrect address to keep from having to go there. It is usually not the regular driver but a coverage driver, thinking they won't be on this area tomorrow so won't have to deal with it. You can call in a complaint, and the drivers supervisors will have to answer it and let their manager know what they did to try and keep it from happening again. If a driver gets too many complaints he will be suspended or even fired. Before calling make sure the incorrect address is not on the package. You would be surprised at how many incorrect address we get each day. I get at least 5 a day on my truck. Also if possible have your phone number put on the address label. Most drivers will call if there is any problem with the address.

frogman159
04-07-2008, 20:33
I had the same message, turns out it was because I live in a rural area and I didn't have a house number visable. I gave UPS a description of the house and they came out first thing the next day

Beaucoupfishies
04-07-2008, 22:10
Thank you everyone. I'll check the package when it gets here in case maybe the address got smudged up or something.

Our regular driver is pretty out of shape, so he barely made it up our stairs with some medium sized packages. Wouldn't surprise me if he skipped by our ST package since it's 26 pounds. :smiley36:

This is third time it happens, so if it comes up again with a big package I'll be sure to call in the complaint. He's never left a package on the door stop which is a plus over the mailman.

mike_s
04-07-2008, 22:48
There is a solution for this... it's called FED EX

Black-Gorrilla
04-08-2008, 01:21
i've had drivers drive past my house when the garage was open (it's open as long as there is someone home) and i knew my packages were on the truck... so i get in my car and find him. he says "looked like no one was home" yeah... right... no one home? i can see my tv from the end of the street were he turns around and the garage is open... never happened again. catch them once and they shape up.

Osprey
04-08-2008, 07:26

Does ST use it?

mike_s
04-08-2008, 09:00

Does ST use it?

ST advertises that they use UPS.

One advantage that UPS has over FedEx is in ground delivery, which is what most of ST business uses. FedEx ground delivery is contracted out to a 3rd party in many locations and there are also many residential locations that are "beyond point" locations in their service area, meaning they don't service that area. So even if ST used FedEx for their primary shipper, it's still likey that they would HAVE to use FedEx or USPS for supplemental shipping to places that aren't in FEDEX coverage area.

One advantage that FED EX home delivery has over UPS though is that saturday is one of their normal delivery days. So often I've ordered something and gotten it on saturday instead of having to wait till monday evening to get it.

My problem with UPS is that no one will take "ownership of the problem". Even internally working for them, employees won't help employees of another branch or department telling them that "it's not their problem"

DollFin
04-08-2008, 12:54
I've had problems with both - seems to go back and forth as to which service is more reliable. My worst experience was with FedEx.

It actually started when I placed an order for a massage table with a company I do business with on a regular basis. I had just moved and typed my new address as the ship-to, but somehow when I finalized the order, it reverted back to my old address and I didn't realize it until later when I got the shipping confirmation. I called the company but it was too late, so I called Fed-Ex. They assured me they'd be able to re-route the package, however I found out it hadn't and they were trying to deliver it to my old address. Fortunately it was "signature required" so they didn't just dump it off. Well, after repeated phone calls and assurances that "you'll get it tomorrow", it ended up being returned to the company I'd ordered it from as undeliverable!

I called the company and told them what happened, so they said they'd send it back out with the correct address as soon as it got back to them. Fortunately, this was not something I needed right away, I was just replacing an older massage table for my outcall work. Well, on the day the re-shipped table was supposed to arrive, I was home ALL DAY but FedEx never showed. I tracked it on line, only to discover it was listed as not-delivered because no one was home! So, another call to FedEx, another promise of "it will be there tomorrow"... Next day, SAME EXACT THING!!

Finally, on the following day, by chance I happened to see the FedEx truck down the street so I asked him where my package was. He said "you haven't been home!" I assured him that I had indeed been home. Turned out that, even though the address was printed correctly this time, he'd been misreading it and trying to deliver to the wrong address!

Another time, I was expecting a FedEx package that didn't show on the expected day. The on-line tracking said something to the effect of "delivery not possible due to local weather conditions". Um, sunny and 75 degrees??? I called and said "I guess "local weather conditions" mean it was so nice out today the driver didn't want to deliver any more packages!"

Sorry for the long rant. I will say that LATELY, I have not had too many problems with either UPS or FedEx, and I hope it stays that way!

mike_s
04-08-2008, 13:26
DHL is the worst.

The last time I used them, it took a week for them to deliver an overnight package.

turns out they "subcontracted" the delivery out to another company. So much for paying for overnight delivery.

we have a corporate agreement with them and have had nothing but trouble with them.

Lone Frogman
04-08-2008, 14:40
Ever since we moved to Tampa, we continually have issues with UPS delivering our packages. I suspect that our driver is just a slacker and deliberately creates an error to not have to deliver things that day. I just thought I'd check to see if anyone else had had similar experiences.

Whenever I'm tracking a package, it'll show that it's going out to be delivered to us, but then the guy won't show, and at the end of the day the UPS site will say, "A CORRECT STREET NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION". But every time I call them, they say they have the right address and will send it out again tomorrow.

It's not a complex street address, and neither Fedex nor DHL seem to ever have an issue finding it.

I'm mostly just miffed because the order that was supposed to come today was from ST. :smiley21:

I had the same problem with UPS. Call the local UPS office not the 1-800 number. It worked for me. FedX is ok and DHL has been a bad joke.

Osprey
04-08-2008, 15:38
DHL has been the swiftest service for us.. strange

Also may I mention it's now nearing the end of day 2 and not only does the website say the package Beaucoup is speaking of has not been shipped out, but when we call they swear it's on a truck. So which is it!??!

mike_s
04-08-2008, 15:59
I had the same problem with UPS. Call the local UPS office not the 1-800 number. It worked for me. FedX is ok and DHL has been a bad joke.

Here UPS won't publish the local number in the phone book.

If you look up the local number it has you calling the 800 cust service number, where they know nothing about your package except for the same info you read on the website and give "canned answers".

can't say I blame them for not putting it in the local phone book though because then you have to have someone there answering the phone all the time.

DollFin
04-08-2008, 17:32
[quote=Lone Frogman;154913]

Here UPS won't publish the local number in the phone book.

If you look up the local number it has you calling the 800 cust service number, where they know nothing about your package except for the same info you read on the website and give "canned answers".

That never publish the local numbers. You have to ask for it from the rep at the 800 number. They WILL give it to you, you might just have to be a bit insistant.

Damselfish
04-08-2008, 18:10
I suspect the "best" company varies from place to place because of the people. If the person on your route or in the local office or company doesn't give a crap, it will suck. If you have a driver that cares about doing their job and a well run distribution center then you're lucky.

Beaucoupfishies
04-08-2008, 18:22
Just as an update for everyone- our package finally came today even though the website never updated from last night's error message. Not surprisingly, the address was correct on the package. Even less surprising, it was a different driver than our normal one.

I think our tubb-o regular driver just didn't feel like hauling our box. Ah well, at least it's here and it still only took 4 business days so it's still within the range.

I think I'm just bitter because the last time this happened it cost me two days' worth of work because they were holding my telecommuting computer hostage.

mike_s
04-08-2008, 22:59
Well FedEx Home Delivery dropped off a package today.

It was shipped on March 28th from about 250 miles away....

11 days in transit to go 250 miles. jeez. Thats pretty pathetic.

plot
04-09-2008, 17:53
Thank you everyone. I'll check the package when it gets here in case maybe the address got smudged up or something.

Our regular driver is pretty out of shape, so he barely made it up our stairs with some medium sized packages. Wouldn't surprise me if he skipped by our ST package since it's 26 pounds. :smiley36:

This is third time it happens, so if it comes up again with a big package I'll be sure to call in the complaint. He's never left a package on the door stop which is a plus over the mailman.

25-30lbs is probably average for a package at UPS.

Black-Gorrilla
04-09-2008, 18:12

wow... that sucks.
i had a 30cf tank sent to me from orlando... to miami... shipped ground, got here overnight.

mentalmarine
04-09-2008, 18:20
I ordered 30 lbs of weight through USPS Priority box, got it in time, though there was a gaping hole. It looked like they dropped it and one of the lead weights went through, all acounted for though. I feel sorry for the guy that had to carry that box.

mike_s
04-09-2008, 22:25

wow... that sucks.
i had a 30cf tank sent to me from orlando... to miami... shipped ground, got here overnight.

yeah... that should have been an overnight ground shipment. I will say that with UPS (ground) it would have been. max 2 days, but you can't blame that for a ground shipment as it isn't guarenteed.

reactive
04-13-2008, 10:55
I have everything shipped to my job. I work at the University of New Orleans during the week and all of the delivery drivers are pretty punctual since there is a lot of sensitive material that gets delivered to the University. The only time I had a problem with delivery was when UPS marked the University closed on the Monday before Mardi Gras and we were definitely open. I was waiting for my brand new Apple laptop, so I was a bit anxious as well.

But anyway, you might consider having your packages delivered to your job, if you can. It doesn't cost you or your employer anything extra, and you will more than likely have someone there at all times in case a signature is required.
I've also noticed that residential stuff gets delivered later in the day while businesses typically get deliveries earlier in the day. So you'd also get your stuff a little earlier!

Cheers, and good luck!

mike_s
04-14-2008, 12:13
It doesn't cost you or your employer anything extra, and you will more than likely have someone there at all times in case a signature is required.

well it might not be a direct cost, but if my employer got a package a day for every employee we had here, I'm betting they'd have to hire 3 more people just to deal with it.

that and some employeres with large shipping departments don't want to deal with employee packages, or the liability of them being damaged or lost, or having to record them in their system, etc.

just something to think about.

DollFin
04-14-2008, 13:00
[quote=reactive;156995]I have everything shipped to my job. I work at the University of New Orleans...

Off topic, I know, but hi from another New Orleans diver!!!

Zephrant
04-14-2008, 15:59
I've got a great driver for UPS now- I live 1000' up a road on a hill. So last winter when it was icy I put a garbage can down by the road with a sign that said "UPS- leave package here". When I got home that night I found the package on the porch with a note- "I like a challenge!". I thought it was hilarious, but I worry I'll find his truck off the road down the hill some night...

On the other hand many years ago I caught a driver terrorizing my dog though the 5' fence- For no reason, the dog could not get out and the driver didn't even have to go near the fence as it was on the other side of the garage. I didn't put two and two together until later, but my dog HATES the brown UPS trucks- he'll bark and go nuts at them and ignore every other truck. Makes it a PITA when we drive through town.

Now DHL I don't like much- they often can't be bothered to drive up the road and just leave the package in the paperbox or by the road, even in the summer. I figure I paid for for a DELIVERY not a "flung out the window a 1/4 mile away"...

Beaucoupfishies
04-14-2008, 17:02
I've got a great driver for UPS now- I live 1000' up a road on a hill. So last winter when it was icy I put a garbage can down by the road with a sign that said "UPS- leave package here". When I got home that night I found the package on the porch with a note- "I like a challenge!". I thought it was hilarious, but I worry I'll find his truck off the road down the hill some night...

On the other hand many years ago I caught a driver terrorizing my dog though the 5' fence- For no reason, the dog could not get out and the driver didn't even have to go near the fence as it was on the other side of the garage. I didn't put two and two together until later, but my dog HATES the brown UPS trucks- he'll bark and go nuts at them and ignore every other truck. Makes it a PITA when we drive through town.

Now DHL I don't like much- they often can't be bothered to drive up the road and just leave the package in the paperbox or by the road, even in the summer. I figure I paid for for a DELIVERY not a "flung out the window a 1/4 mile away"...

Wow, maybe he was new! :smiley36: Actually the one at my parents house is ncie too, just luck of the draw I suppose.

johnyringo
04-14-2008, 22:32
My UPS guy is the bomb! I've ordered so damn much stuff from ST we've become pretty good friends. He's always asking me what kinda toys he's delivering, and where I'm going on my next dive trip. My dog doesn't even bark at him any more! He always gets my stuff to me on the delivery date.

mobeeno
04-14-2008, 23:13
Did you hear that UPS and FedEx are merging? Guess what the new company is called...........FedUp (Sorry if you have heard this tons of times, could not resist)

mike_s
04-15-2008, 08:46
want to see the secret to how UPS moves it's packages?

see the below pic.

http://www.coloribus.com/files/paedia/print/part_19/194764/preview_320_260.jpg

reactive
04-15-2008, 10:55
I have everything shipped to my job. I work at the University of New Orleans...

Off topic, I know, but hi from another New Orleans diver!!!

Hey Dollfin! We're pretty rare in this area from what I've seen. Shoot me a PM if you wanna chat about diving in this area!