PDA

View Full Version : corregated rubber hose on BC broke

Doug B
04-08-2008, 00:03
It's not the low pressure inflator hose... I'm talking about the corregated rubber hose that's directly connected to my BC.... the hose broke during the last dive when I gave it a tug to open the valve and vent air. The corregated hose is in very good shape, except for the last three inches around where it attaches to the BC....where it sees the most abuse.

I temp-fixed the situation on the boat by cutting the bad portion away, and slipping the shortened hose onto the valve assembly, but this was a quick fix to get in a last dive.

Called scuba toys, they say they can fix it... but I'm thinking I can fix it myself, if I had the parts.

It's an oceanic BC. Anybody know have any experience doing this? I'm not sure how to deal with the steel rope-cable inside (the one that opens the dump valve). I'm also not sure where to get the repair parts.

CompuDude
04-08-2008, 00:16
Scuba Toys should be able to sell you a replacement corrugated hose. That plus a few zip ties, and you're in business.

longtailbda
06-12-2008, 13:48
should be a simple fix a couple of zipties and a new hose.

SkuaSeptember
06-12-2008, 18:02
Very easy fix, but there is a small metal pin held in place by the hose that attaches the inflator to the cable (you can pop this out with your trusty paper clip) don't lose it.

Splitlip
06-12-2008, 18:25
All as stated above.

In the future though, DON'T pull on the hose to dump. That stress the hose.
Pull on the inflator which is attached to the cable. I know it seems unnatural, but the only connection for the cable is the infaltor.

scootermcfly
06-12-2008, 20:30
I had to replace a piece of hose on my Aeris Atmos XT last season...turns out its not a common diameter. Manyu BC's have a common size and my Aeris was not one of them so I had to go to an Aeris shop for the part. You may be in a similar situation-Prob has to be an Oceanic hose or it wont fit...I let the shop do mine because they already had the BC.

ChrisA
06-12-2008, 20:47
Called scuba toys, they say they can fix it... but I'm thinking I can fix it myself, if I had the parts.

You are right. It is easy to fix if only Oceanic would sell you the parts. They won't. They only sell repair prts to the techs that work for autorized resellers.

Some times you can find the entire assembly, inflate, hose, dump valve for sale

oddbod
06-13-2008, 07:27
I've had the same problem, with an Black Diamond BC and Air 2 (not a round tube), easy to fix once you get the replacement part:smiley21:, I feel mine may have cracked as I used to dry BC hanging upside down, water draining out of inflator which bend the oval corrugated tube Once I got the part just a matter of undoing the Zip ties and cable and replacing. Might be worth getting someone with a zip tie pull tool to do it as if it is not tight they can slip off, and/or putting 2 ties on each end.

Splitlip
06-13-2008, 20:27
Oceanic/Aeris and Sequest hoses I believe are prorpiatary.

Stupid.

reactive
06-13-2008, 20:33
Stupid.

I agreee. Parts like that should be universal.

Daz
06-13-2008, 21:44
Correct me if I'm wrong - but if all parts were universal, wouldn't everything be the same?

CaptainPat
06-13-2008, 23:01
aint nothin u cant fix without duct tape

Vercingetorix
06-14-2008, 07:25
In the future though, DON'T pull on the hose to dump. That stress the hose.
Pull on the inflator which is attached to the cable. I know it seems unnatural, but the only connection for the cable is the inflator.Word...
When I used a STAB BC, I avoided using the shoulder dump because it just seemed to be asking for trouble. The manufacturers gave us the dump button at the end of the inflator hose for a reason. Because I dive a GolemGear BP/W, I don't even have a shoulder dump.

aint nothin u cant fix without duct tapeQuadruple negative...FTW:smiley32:

captain
06-14-2008, 12:57
Check out the grey military oxygen hose on the link. If the length is close it may solve your problem plus it's silcone rubber not the cheap plastic hose most BC's now come with.

Two Hose Regulator Hoses Clamps Mouthpieces Duckbills Parts (http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/hoses.html)

scubatexastony
06-16-2008, 21:41

If it's loose and shouldn't be...... duct tape

If it's stuck and needs to be loose..... WD-40

~tony

Splitlip
06-16-2008, 22:09

~tony

Is WD-40 petroleum based?

harb99
06-16-2008, 22:13

~tony

yes

WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40)

Doug B
06-16-2008, 22:46
I went to the LDS. Parts are not available (at least that's what they told me).

I bought an entire new assembly, $75, and I was back in business in about 10 minutes. I figure I'm good for another 8 to 10 years now.

Splitlip
06-16-2008, 23:08

~tony

yes

WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40)

That's what i thought.
That would be a bad thing around plastics and compressed oxygen enriched gas :).